D.J. Swearinger buys No. 36 from Su’a Cravens for $75,000

Getty Images

There’s a new safety in Washington. And he really wants to wear No. 36.

How badly does he want to wear it? He is paying safety Su’a Cravens $75,000 for it.

That’s the price D.J. Swearinger has agreed to pay to get the number from Cravens, a rookie in 2016.

Cravens has announced that he’ll wear No. 30. He adopted No. 36 in honor of the late Sean Taylor, who wore No. 36 before changing to No. 21. Cravens wore No. 21 at USC in honor of Taylor; no Washington player has won 21 since Taylor died in 2007 after being shot in his Miami home.

Swearinger also idolizes Taylor; he explained his admiration of Taylor after arriving in Washington. Swearinger explained that he has worn No. 36 his entire life, and that it also has family significance.

It has enough significance to cause Swearinger to peel off a decent piece of his $4 million signing bonus.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
26 Responses to “D.J. Swearinger buys No. 36 from Su’a Cravens for $75,000”
  1. jjb0811 says: Mar 13, 2017 6:29 PM

I saw M Bennet is letting the GB fans choose his next number. Now that’s different and very cool.

2. 88ibis says: Mar 13, 2017 6:32 PM

Rich people problems.

3. IsMyNoseRed? says: Mar 13, 2017 6:41 PM

CTE is bad, sad.

4. InLavonteWeTrust says: Mar 13, 2017 6:49 PM

He’ll probably only wear that for a year. Sean Taylor wore it better

5. miklib says: Mar 13, 2017 6:50 PM

Someone is going to be broke in 10 years

6. cletuspstillwaterjr says: Mar 13, 2017 6:53 PM

One of these guys will be broke 5 years after leaving the NFL. Guess which one?

7. RussianBreadMaker says: Mar 13, 2017 6:57 PM

This happens every time I buy a new jersey. Last year, I bought Cravens’ jersey thinking that I was safe for a good 3 years, minimum 😦 this week isn’t getting any better.

8. exinsidetrader says: Mar 13, 2017 7:01 PM

His family would prefer if he put the $75K in a Trust.

9. mudachains says: Mar 13, 2017 7:03 PM

Fool and his money were separated

10. abninf says: Mar 13, 2017 7:11 PM

As if any fans knew what his number was in the first place.

11. tylawspick6 says: Mar 13, 2017 7:15 PM

not good enough to demand a number

12. ibillwt says: Mar 13, 2017 7:47 PM

What a knucklehead. Put the 75 in a biotechnology index fund and put some family members through school.

13. pfatalbert says: Mar 13, 2017 7:48 PM

For 75,000 dollars you could Tattoo #36 on my actual pale slightly-hairy back!

14. tfootball1234 says: Mar 13, 2017 8:10 PM

What a fool. thats an insult to every poor dude he grew up with .

15. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 13, 2017 8:21 PM

D.J.’s 35 brothers and sisters are equally thrilled.

16. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 13, 2017 8:23 PM

If the money isn’t paid in full, D.J. will find out how Cravens acquired the nickname Su’a.

17. selldannysell says: Mar 13, 2017 9:10 PM

This is why I only buy the jerseys of former players.

18. charger383 says: Mar 13, 2017 10:06 PM

That was $75.000 for number 36 redskins jersey

19. chrisdacommish says: Mar 14, 2017 12:07 AM

What a total waste….

20. dirtydrynn27 says: Mar 14, 2017 7:34 AM

I will never understand why people get sooo upset whenever somebody spends their money on what they want……

Whats it too you????

21. jgedgar70 says: Mar 14, 2017 7:48 AM

That’s why I never buy jerseys. I’ll stick to shirts and hats with the team logo.

22. droppedinagreasefire says: Mar 14, 2017 8:56 AM

When DJ is old and decreped, staying in an NFL retirement home, I hope he has the ability to reflect back on that $75,000.

23. nyneal says: Mar 14, 2017 10:08 AM

It just shows how many of these NFL players have no idea how to control their finances, and it’s the reason so many of them wind up broke after their careers are over.
    Spending $75,000 to get the number you want is so ridiculous, it is absurd.
    That $75,000 would have been great had it been donated to a homeless shelter or battered women shelter. If Su’a Cravens did something like that with this money, that would be great.
    I don’t go to NFL football games anymore, even though I love to see them live. When seat licensing was shoved down the fans’ throats and I knew guys who had season tickets for many years have to give them up because they couldn’t afford to pay the seat licensing, that was the last straw for me.
    The NFL makes billions of dollars and the players make millions. Many of them do good things with some of that money. But spending $75,000 to get the number you want makes me shake my head. It just shows how out of touch with reality these NFL people are.
    By the way, in case you didn’t hear, the NY Giants raised their ticket prices this year.

24. ltapltap says: Mar 14, 2017 11:56 AM

It’s so hard to imagine that most of these clowns are broke just a few years after their playing career ends. I always assumed people who grew up poor would have a greater appreciation for the value of a dollar. There really isn’t a word for this type of stupidity.

25. Moudabo says: Mar 14, 2017 6:16 PM

Man, these authentics are really going up in price.

26. ak185 says: Mar 14, 2017 7:50 PM

All of y’all kicking yourselves for buying Cravens’ original jersey…it’s not a complete loss. If Cravens becomes a great player, his original 36 is going to be worth a lot more than whatever jersey he wore later. I’m not betting that’s likely, guy seems a little nutty, but you never know how a guy’s career will end up, so don’t lose out hope yet.