Stephon Gilmore “surprised a little bit” by Patriots interest

Getty Images

The Patriots surprised everyone by signing cornerback Stephon Gilmore in free agency. On Monday, he was introduced to the media via conference call.

He said that the Patriots emerged as a contender at the beginning of the process, but that he was “surprised a little bit” by their interest.

“It’s an honor to play under coach [Bill] Belichick,” Gilmore added. “Coming in, watching from afar, obviously I’ve played against them a lot. They find a way to win so that’s one thing you’ve got to respect about them. But it starts over every year, so I’m just looking forward to going in and meeting my teammates, learning from the coaches, and learning from the players and being the best team that we can be.”

Gilmore explained how he will contribute to making that happen.

“I think a strong part of my game is just being physical at the line of scrimmage and playing a lot of man-to-man coverage,” Gilmore said. “But I’m just ready to do whatever the coaches want me to do to make the team better. I’m down for whatever challenge they want me to be in. I think me just pressing at the line of scrimmage and making plays on the football — that’s the strongest point of my game.”

Gilmore also said he’s looking forward to playing with cornerback Malcolm Butler. Given the contract Gilmore received, however, there’s a chance that may never happen.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Stephon Gilmore “surprised a little bit” by Patriots interest”
  1. pastabelly says: Mar 13, 2017 8:11 PM

I hope he doesn’t lose confidence after Brady and Cooks light him up like a Christmas tree in practice.

2. billswillalwayssuck says: Mar 13, 2017 8:29 PM

Most people are surprised that any team thinks a player can get rid of that barfalo stench.

3. thecape15 says: Mar 13, 2017 8:32 PM

Brady hands out $100 in practice for every INT.

Unlike other QBs who actually pout.

Welcome to the greatest organization in the NFL, Stephon!

4. weepingjebus says: Mar 13, 2017 9:07 PM

You’re going to the Show! Welcome to the Show!

5. knowspinzone says: Mar 13, 2017 9:43 PM

I hope he and Butler can get along with him making 14mm and Butler only 4mm.

6. cubbynaz says: Mar 13, 2017 10:01 PM

He should be able to grip the football much better there too.

7. daddeeo says: Mar 13, 2017 10:30 PM

I can’t say I remember anyone talking about this guy as a LOCK-DOWN CB?

I’m puzzling why they didn’t put this money towards Butler.

8. amadorcountyca says: Mar 14, 2017 12:41 AM

Stefon will notice a difference between a Rexy and BB coached team. You got your payday and earn it,!

Maybe master Bill will show the team what’s what. Stephon will oversleep for a 0700 meeting and be suspended 4 games.

Belichick call all the trolls “Grasshopper”, when they try to outsmart the master.

9. unclebluck says: Mar 14, 2017 7:13 AM

“I think a strong part of my game is just being physical at the line of scrimmage and playing a lot of man-to-man coverage’….

————————————————–
    Gilmore was a competent coverage (not great, just competent) guy his first 2 years in Buffalo before getting hurt a couple of times. After that he became soft and refused to hit/tackle. The last 2 years he has been burned so many times it has obviously made him delusional as well…..

10. superpatriotsfan says: Mar 14, 2017 9:16 AM

Amazing how Belichick is interested in a CB who cannot tackle.