Brandin Cooks says he didn’t ask to be traded

Getty Images

The Saints traded receiver Brandin Cooks to the Patriots. In his first media availability as a member of the Patriots, Cooks was asked whether he asked to be traded.

“I didn’t,” Cooks told reporters on Wednesday. “It was a long process. So if we can set this straight, I think a lot of that and what was going on got taken out of context and a little exaggerated, and throughout the process I felt like I had to take the blows and keep my mouth shut, which is fine. It just happened to be a great opportunity for both sides. To be able to build what they want to build and to be sent off to a good team for me I think is a win-win situation. Like I said, the rumors out there and what’s been going on and what’s been told, I don’t let it bother me. I’m just here to play football and that’s what it’s all about.”

The most accurate rumor that’s out there isn’t that Cooks asked for a trade, but that his former agent engineered it by making the player’s discontent known to the media during the 2016 season and by working directly with one or more other teams to lay the foundation for a deal to be done. Ultimately, the Saints didn’t shop Cooks; teams contacted the Saints, and the Saints decided to pursue the possibility.

Now that Cooks is in New England, his role could change to something more like whatever it was he wanted it to be in New Orleans.

“As a young guy I think there were some things that I would’ve liked to have done more,” Cooks said. “Not like I wasn’t able to do them, we just had great guys doing those other things so if it’s not broken why fix it? But coming to New England it seems like it’s an offense that guys do a bunch of different things and I’m looking forward to being able to do some things that I didn’t necessarily have to do in New Orleans, hopefully to get the chance here and do it here.”

Cooks declined to elaborate on what it is that he wants to do, but he provided some fuel for the speculation that he’ll play more in one specific location in the formation.

“As far as going into detail on what I would like to do, I’d rather not go into detail,” Cooks said. “But as far as playing in the slot, I definitely think I can do that at a high level. It’ll be all about what coach [Bill] Belichick and the offense think I can fit well at and just doing my job the best that I can.”

It makes sense for Cooks to gravitate to the slot, given that outside receivers not named Randy Moss typically don’t fare as well in the New England system. But that could be bad news for the likes of Julian Edelman, a soon-to-be 31-year-old who could be supplanted sooner or later by Cooks.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
40 Responses to “Brandin Cooks says he didn’t ask to be traded”
  1. flipola says: Mar 15, 2017 4:58 PM

Maybe not specifically. He’s like a damn woman. “I shouldn’t have to ask, you should know.”

2. exinsidetrader says: Mar 15, 2017 4:59 PM

DO. YOUR. JOB!

3. kghia75 says: Mar 15, 2017 5:00 PM

Time to wear your big boy pants, playing with GOAT! Stay humble and classy…

4. billshavezerochanceofeverwinninglol says: Mar 15, 2017 5:00 PM

Tradegate

5. Aaron says: Mar 15, 2017 5:06 PM

Hearing him talk about the Saints offense and you’d think he was playing under Rex Ryan in Buffalo. He didn’t like being #1b receiver after Michael Thomas’ emergence, and he will really hate being #3 behind Gronk & Edelman.

He’s a smart player and he will have his days but game in and game out he isn’t on the same planet as the guy he aspires to be – Antonio Brown.

6. randytheraiderloveboy says: Mar 15, 2017 5:16 PM

He should thank his lucky stars. He is going to the best team in the NFL, underpaid, good shot at a ring, Tammy and Bill autographs. mind meld cheating techniques into covert CIA dark cheating ops which he will use in vegas………………….life is good for him.

7. 6ball says: Mar 15, 2017 5:17 PM

The Saints play in a division with Cam Newton, Jameis Winston and Matt Ryan. You need top flight CBs to survive. Most likely New Orleans uses the Patriots pick on a quality defender. Cooks was part of a deep Saints WR corp and was expendable.

8. canmannac says: Mar 15, 2017 5:21 PM

of course he didn’t… his agent did it for him…

9. patsxsaintsfan says: Mar 15, 2017 5:22 PM

@Aaron yeah cooks might not be as good as Antonio brown is right now but Antonio browns first 3 years he had 151 catches for 2062 yards and 7 touchdowns while cooks has 215 catches for 2861 yards and 20 TDs. Obviously I’m not saying cooks is better or even will be better someday but AB didn’t come into the NFL lighting it on fire it took him time and it might take cooks time to reach his full potential as well.

10. TheCakeIsALie says: Mar 15, 2017 5:22 PM

Edelman will always be a NE legend following the legacy of Welker and the immortal Troy Brown. That said, veteran Pats fans saw Edelman’s age early in the season, but he’s a gamer and saved his best football for the playoffs.

To me, this is clearly a “year early rather than a year late” move we’ve seen many times. Cooks could see 120 receptions next year – would not surprise me in the least.

11. pftisthebestsiteeverlol says: Mar 15, 2017 5:26 PM

the Saints have been proven to just be big liars this offseason. ridiculous story after ridiculous story. he probably didnt ask to be traded.

12. poguemahonepft says: Mar 15, 2017 5:28 PM

That, folks – is what the high road looks like – well played BC and good luck in NE…

13. patfic5 says: Mar 15, 2017 5:29 PM

Cooks made his own bed.

14. whodat5150 says: Mar 15, 2017 5:32 PM

Aaron says:
    Mar 15, 2017 5:06 PM

———————

Antonio Brown is DEFINTELY a Top Three receiver in the league. But Brandin Cooks is no slouch himself. Over the past three seasons, only OBJ has more TDs of 20+ yards, than Brandin Cooks. You can look this FACT up yourself.

15. winningisabrees says: Mar 15, 2017 5:43 PM

Cooks could see 120 receptions next year – would not surprise me in the least.
    ———————————————
    Nah Man, hes a one trick pony, gets blocked out on slants, and scared of the middle.

Signed 12 year Saints ticket holder

16. Aaron says: Mar 15, 2017 5:53 PM

Top 3 receiver…are you kidding? Look, the long TD stat is fine but you can’t honestly say that a receiver’s worth is based solely on scoring TD’s long, short, medium-ranged – whatever. I mean, James Jones led the league in scores a few years ago and was he a top 3 receiver that year?

I’m a Saints fan as well whodat. Cooks was a great player at times but was shut out often as well. The fact is he was outplayed by a rookie in 2016, got butt hurt and whined his way out of town. He can stretch the field but he doesn’t run the entire route tree as well as the best in the game do – Julio, AB, OBJ. He is more of a niche player and lacks the toughness to effectively break tackles.

He will continue to grow and is going from HOF QB to HOF QB but his game doesn’t resemble the upper tier of players at his position.

17. Aaron says: Mar 15, 2017 5:55 PM

Whodat – my bad. I misread your comment. Thought you were intending to say Cooks was a top 3 receiver. Apologies there on the retort.

18. tylawspick6 says: Mar 15, 2017 5:55 PM

obj is overrated

can’t run consisten routes, drops balls and a primadonna

brady would commit suicide if he had to play with him

19. streetyson says: Mar 15, 2017 5:55 PM

I didn’t ask to be traded – but I was increasingly unhappy with my role in the Saints and got my agent to let all the other teams know that I would be keen to leave…

Brandin, I see the difference! And a career for you in a politician’s PR office after football!

20. tylawspick6 says: Mar 15, 2017 5:56 PM

time to win titles in titletown

21. jchipwood says: Mar 15, 2017 6:02 PM

Cooks is just angry noodle arm won’t be able to hit him deep. Looks like a lot of practice time on slants and comebacks.

22. charliecharger says: Mar 15, 2017 6:05 PM

He chirped a little about not getting the football after a blowout victory. That didn’t go over well, and they sent him packing. Lucky for him, it might be that Belichick is thinking about retiring soon, and wants to strike while the iron’s hot. He doesn’t usually trade away a first round pick for a WR.

23. wib22 says: Mar 15, 2017 6:07 PM

Cooks = trump tax returns
    LIES!

24. akboot says: Mar 15, 2017 6:10 PM

He knows BB system and he doesn’t want to burn any bridges?

25. balt88 says: Mar 15, 2017 6:12 PM

He got his feeling hurt and his ego bruised when someone better came along (Thomas) then first he and later his agent made it clear he was upset, wanted to be the number one guy again and became a distraction and a problem in the locker room.

Now that he got what he wanted he’s acting like he doesn’t know how it happened….

If he tries that trick with Belichick he’ll find himself traded to SF or Cleveland.

26. factpurveyor says: Mar 15, 2017 6:14 PM

charliecharger says:
    Mar 15, 2017 6:05 PM

————————————————————
    It may also be because Roger Goodell stole the Patriots 1st round draft pick last year. The Pats could have drafted a WR last year and he would be coming back after his rookie season and would have had a season worth of experience plus 2 Patriots training camps to start the 2017 season.

The NFL still owes football fans a press release containing the PSI numbers from the 2015 season.

27. factpurveyor says: Mar 15, 2017 6:19 PM

jchipwood says:
    Mar 15, 2017 6:02 PM

———————————————————
    And the Brady obsession is alive and well during the off season.

The Dolphins will have to score at least 40 just to have a chance against the Patriots in 2017.

28. factpurveyor says: Mar 15, 2017 6:24 PM

@Aaron

Question…
    Was Cooks on the field with talent as good as this?

Gronk
    Dwayne Allen
    Julian Edelman
    Chris Hogan
    Malcolm Mitchell
    James White
    Dion Lewis
    Tom Brady

29. NFLexpert says: Mar 15, 2017 7:20 PM

New Orleans snookered Billy on this deal…

30. walker1191 says: Mar 15, 2017 8:09 PM

31. tigershark0052 says: Mar 15, 2017 8:54 PM

He should be ahead of Edelman.

32. tylawspick6 says: Mar 15, 2017 9:22 PM

to think bb protected his would be stolen 4th by
    cheating goodell in the cooks deal, only to now
    score at least a 1st rder back in the butler deal?

i mean; what a fleecing

bb will get cooks for an udfa named butler who
    will now command over 10 mil per.

utter genius

bb preys on poorl run franchises desperate for a fix

33. whispersd says: Mar 15, 2017 9:22 PM

“Clearly the first half of the SB taught NE that they needed to get younger and faster, and this guy is both.”

I thought the take-home message from the first half was “Don’t turn over the ball!”

The Pats seemed plenty quick in the 2nd half.

34. saints12013 says: Mar 15, 2017 9:41 PM

@jchipwood

You say Brees has a noodle arm but you must have not been paying too close attention as Drew found Cooks for the 2 longest plays from scrimmage last season.
    One of them was a 98 yarder in week 1…..

@factpurveyor

Actually no Cooks has been playing alongside more talent during his tenure with the Saints.

Pierre Thomas (always positive yardage and better than White who had one good game)
    Marques Colston (LEGEND)
    Michael Thomas (Better than Cooks)
    Mark Ingram (Patriots would’ve drafted him)
    Jimmy Graham (Just as good as Gronk)
    Snead (better than Mitchell)
    Ben Watson (better than Allen)
    Drew Brees (More all time passing yardage than Brady)

35. knew8411 says: Mar 15, 2017 10:38 PM

Don’t say a word. Just go with it.

36. kevpft says: Mar 15, 2017 10:47 PM

Aaron says:
    Mar 15, 2017 5:06 PM

—————-

He’ll probably be playing a couple more games than Brown this coming season, though.

37. lanman11 says: Mar 16, 2017 1:50 AM

It was clear at 28-3 with Gronk out, the Pats sorely needed a game breaker. You can’t live on 34-28 miracles alone….

38. TheWizard says: Mar 16, 2017 5:36 AM

Supplant Edelman? I’ll believe it when I see it.

39. gogreenbiotch says: Mar 16, 2017 6:52 AM

I’m not the biggest cooks fan. I’m glad he’s not an eagle. I don’t think he is getting enough credit for how good he can really be. That being said, he’s not a very locker room guy. He kind of a bigger slower DeSean Jackson without the ability to track the ball down the field like Jackson. The biggest difference is DeSean kept him “I luv me some me” for games his team’s lost. Cooks mouth moved no matter what. He is the truest me guy in the NFL. While I think he helps the pats win this year, I think he plays for someone else next year.

40. phrancheyez says: Mar 16, 2017 7:21 AM

Aaron is either a salty Saints fan or he’s really bad at evaluating talent in the NFL.

Brandon Cooks is good man, get over yourself. You probably haven’t watched him very closely since he came out if you don’t think he’s very good. Shows why your talent evaluation skills have you watching from the couch.