Darrelle Revis says in Pittsburgh courthouse he’d like to play for Steelers

Getty Images

Free agent defensive back Darrelle Revis talked to NFL Network on his way out the door after having criminal charges against him dropped in a Pittsburgh courtroom today, and he said he’d love to spend the whole offseason and upcoming season in Pittsburgh.

Asked if he’d be interested in signing with the Steelers, Revis said he’d love it.

“That would be great,” Revis said. “As a child I watched the Steelers play, went to a few games as a young child, I played here in high school and college, so to play here professionally would be awesome too. So we’ll see. Hopefully we’ll have a conversation with the Steelers.”

Revis said he’d be happy playing either cornerback or safety, whatever his new team wants, and he’s in excellent shape and eager to show he can still contribute.

“I’m 10 pounds lighter than I was last year at this time so I’m really hammering that,” Revis said. “The hunger is definitely there, just passion and love for the game, and I’m excited. I’m excited for this upcoming season. I just had to put this past me and now I can really focus on what team I can fit with, the best system and team and coaches.”

Ultimately, Revis said, he’ll end up wherever there’s a team that wants him, but he hopes that team is the Steelers.

“I want to go where I’m wanted at the end of the day,” Revis said. “This is where I’m from, I’m proud to be from here, proud to be a citizen of Pittsburgh.”

46 responses to “Darrelle Revis says in Pittsburgh courthouse he’d like to play for Steelers

1. Good, then he can see up close how pitiful the Steelers coaching philosophy is.

On both sides of the ball.

2. Steelers currently don’t have the 24 assigned to a player…

If he is willing to price himself according to his current abilities, I don’t see why a two or three year deal wouldn’t work. Steelers could use the help back there, they are built for the twilight of Ben’s career, and for Revis to also ride into the sunset with a Lombardi as a Steeler would be a great ending for a Pittsburgh guy.

Why not?

3. I bet anything he ends up in either Washington , philly or Dallas. They need to beef up to cover the best receiving core in the NFL found on the GIANTS.

4. He will fit right in the Steelers secondary that allowed a record 316 passing yards to Tebow in the playoffs.

5. “Why not?”

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Because he can’t play anymore?

Also complicating matters is the fact that he is guaranteed to be paid $6 million by the Jets this season, so unless there’s a team willing to pay him significantly more than that then it’s not worth him even playing.

Early reports were that he was not willing to play for less than $8 million. based on his play the past two seasons, there is no way anyone is going to pay him that much.

6. But he’ll settle for the browns if they offer one cent more

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

You just summed up Revis’ mentality perfectly in one sentence.

7. patsfan4lifesbchamps | Mar 15, 2017, 3:42 PM EDT
    ———–
    What an idiotic comment.

By that same argument, he’d also fit right into the Steelers’ secondary that had 3 interceptions and held Fran Tarkenton to 102 yards passing in Super Bowl IX.

Totally different teams.

8. Considering how badly AJ burned him last year (180 yards on 12 catches), I’d absolutely love to see him on the Steelers

9. ragingyinzer says:
    Mar 15, 2017 4:36 PM
    patsfan4lifesbchamps | Mar 15, 2017, 3:42 PM EDT
    ———–
    What an idiotic comment.

Totally different teams.
    ====================================
    The Steelers 2016 pass defense was pretty bad. They made Chris Hogan look like Julio Jones.

10. ravensaresuperior says:
    Mar 15, 2017 4:09 PM
    Leaving a courthouse and playing for the Steelers…that’s about right.
    ———————–

this from a raven fan. that’s a nice statue of ray lewis you have.

11. Well maybe he won’t quit on his team like he has done with the Bucs and the Jets when the teams are playing bad. I think he can still play, but he has mental issues with his game and that’s what I can’t stand about Revis

12. My fav Reis highlight was with Pitt at Heinz Field when he had the most ridiculous TD punt return I ever saw.

Hall of Famer Rod Woodson left the Steelers because the pay for a safety was much less than a cornerback and the thought he could still play the former.

Turned out to be an All Pro at both and won a ring….alas not as a Steeler.

If Revis is interested in moving to safety and the commensurate cut in pay. well, hey, might make sense.

13. ragingyinzer says:
    Mar 15, 2017 4:36 PM
    patsfan4lifesbchamps | Mar 15, 2017, 3:42 PM EDT
    ———–
    What an idiotic comment.

Totally different teams.

———-
    Fran Tarkenton…..that was around the last time the Steelers had a good defense….

14. I would love to see Revis give his childhood city a small discount. We did not forget what you did for the Panthers and for most of your career. If you would only learn to tackle, you would be a lock for a safety. Probably not going to happen, though.

15. Steelers need Revis if they are going to have a balanced team. That is, criminals on both sides of the ball.

16. @pastabelly- unfortunately (as a fan of the Steelers), you are far too right lol
    I’m still amazed and astounded at what Hogan accomplished in that game. BB really is the GOAT coach, and Brady is either the most underrated (if you’re talking to random haters), or he’s in the conversation for best ever.
    Personally, I don’t believe that one man could be singled out as such, but I’m willing to listen to the argument(s).