Eddie Lacy’s deal: $4.25 million with incentives

Getty Images

Another day, another deal that was inaccurately pumped up and fed to a willing citizen soldier of #scooptown.

Reported by ESPN as a one-year, $5.5 million deal with $3 million fully guaranteed, the contract signed by running back Eddie Lacy in Seattle is actually worth $4.25 million, with $2.865 million guaranteed.

Per multiple reports, Lacy gets a $1.5 million signing bonus and a guaranteed salary of $1.365 million. He also has a whopping $1 million in per-game roster bonuses, which means that for each game he misses due to injury or otherwise, he loses $62,500.

Lacy also has a $385,000 workout bonus, which contains a weight clause. Which means he’ll need to do something far more challenging than showing up and putting in the work in order to get the cash.

The difference between $4.25 million and $5.5 million comes from $1.3 million in incentives. Though some in the media like to downplay the ability of the player to earn the money by pointing out that they are “not likely to be earned,” the title is an accounting tool under the salary cap, not a prediction as to whether the goals actually will be achieved. (The specific incentive package for Lacy has not been disclosed.)

The only sure thing for Lacy is $2.865 million. Everything else hinges on Lacy’s ability to play, to make weight, and to perform.

43 responses to “Eddie Lacy’s deal: $4.25 million with incentives

1. Lacy is the definition of high maintenance. There is nothing in his character that sugggests he will ever stay in shape. That 2.865 million is a lot of squeeze for very little juice.

2. The only sure thing for Lacy is $2.865 million.
    ————————-
    In other words, current market value for veteran RBs with mileage is roughly $10,000 / lb.

3. This dude SHOULD hire a nutritionist and personal trainer right off the bat. If he can focus on his “craft” he could have a MONSTER year.

4. In the fine print, line 5 of paragraph 3 of the twelfth amendment of section 4, clearly references and I quote directly, “…a baker’s dozen of assorted bearclaws, fritters and scones in the signee’s locker daily…”

5. questionableopinion says:
    Makes me wonder why GB weren’t willing to match or what they have planned.

Really? Eddie Lacy was a real weapon during his first two seasons. But the Packers have watched him balloon up over the past two, while suffering a string of injuries that may be in part related to his weight.
    He reportedly lost some weight last off-season, but put almost all of it back on by the start of the regular season, then got hurt again.
    He recently visited the Packers, as well as the Vikings and Seahawks. One of them reported that he showed up weighing 267 pounds.
    Is it really a surprise the Packers were fed up and think they can find a cheaper, more dedicated and hungrier running back (puns intended) in a deep draft?

6. So sick of hearing what a class act Russell Wilson is. I punked that dude when he was in college at Wisconsin. In 2011, my buddies and I went to Madison, WI, to watch our South Dakota Coyotes play his Badgers. After the game, we were at a bar when this clown strutted in like he owned the place, talking about how he was going to “whoop on everyone” for not giving him respect. Him 5’11 200 lbs. and me 6’6 250 lbs. I changed his attitude very quickly. I’m just glad nobody took a video.

7. I’m willing to bet that the Packers had a similar offer with one major point of difference, the Packers wanted Lacy in the 235-240 lb range, I’m guessing the Seahawks were more lenient in their contract. Lacy just stopped by Minneapolis to better leverage his contract and get a free dinner at the Spoon & Stable.

8. fumblenuts says:

Well, he DID work out with a trainer/nutritionist last off-season, reportedly with good results. But he put all the weight back on by the start of the regular season.
    I get that he would add a little weight while not working out for several months due to his ankle injury. But going into free agency, you’d also think he’d at least diet and not take his visits at 267 pounds.
    In my opinion, the man just does not have the self-control or motivation to dedicate himself to the game.
    It’s also my opinion that NOBODY is having a MONSTER year behind Seattle’s current offensive line.
    I could be wrong, on both counts. We’ll see.

9. usdcoyotesfan says:
    Mar 15, 2017 12:31 PM

—————————

Is Al Bundy still telling his tall tales? SMH

10. questionableopinion says:
    Makes me wonder why GB weren’t willing to match or what they have planned.
    ————
    Lacy was not going back to Green Bay after Mike McCarthy fat shamed him unless the Packers were willing to break the bank for him. Green Bay matching Seattle’s offer was not going to get it donel

11. usdcoyotesfan says:
    Mar 15, 2017 12:31 PM

/////////////

Talk about being full of themselves.

12. And now we know why the RB visits continue for the team. Not the biggest cap hit, nor much really gambled by the team. Competition for roster spot as well as depth is surely a positive. Lots of upside.

Good luck to feast-mode in proving he should be a starting NFL RB this coming season.

13. Could be the difference in where he signed came down to what “make weight” meant for each team. Seattle came in highest — and got their man.

14. $3mil guaranteed! Really?
    With this years daft class, there are a few power runners you could get on 2nd or 3rd day of the draft.

At 267lbs, he is less than 20 bills short of playing 3tech DLine.
    Arron Donald is listed at 284lbs.

15. As a Seahawks fan, I love that they take these big swings now and then. Marshawn Lynch was one such swing. Sidney Rice, Cliff Avril and Michael Bennet, Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham. They build their team methodically but they still play a wildcard now and then and it is always a thrill, though of course it doesn’t always work out. Maybe Eddie Lacy fats his way to minimum payout and flames out of the league. Right now though it feels good.

16. We need more players and people in the upper tax brackets. It helps people in lower tax brackets to make enough to live on and the government doesn’t have to turn the screws on them. I said lower tax brackets and not low tax brackets.

17. A lotta guys bettin’ on themselves = a lotta GMs afraid to commit to these guys long term. It’s always a buyers market. What choice do these guys have?

If this happens in greater quantities in the coming years, expect the NFLPA to cry collusion.

18. @cheeseisfattening – Once again, MM never fat shamed Eddie. To the contrary, MM did not comment on Eddie’s weight during the 2015 season. Afterwards MM’s comments were measured and judicious.

19. Like him as a person. Super cool guy but as a football player – ready to move on.

He lost weight for the team but as soon as reg season rolled around – put it on.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice….

And thats exactly where GB was with him.

20. Makes me wonder why GB weren’t willing to match or what they have planned.
    ===

Make me wonder if you watched any Packer games the last 2 season?

The guy ate his way out of town. Literally.

The only way he was coming back was for the minimum and incentives. He did better on the open market. Good for him. Perfect for Green Bay. They need to move on from this pig.

They’re so in love with the forward pass, they’ll be just fine with Montgomery and whover else they add between now and July.

21. The packers didn’t do their homework on this draft pick. Have you ever seen Eddie’s parents? If you aren’t motivated by playing with a team that has gotten to the NFC Championship game multiple times recently. And has one of the best QB’s in the game. I am not sure how this is going to work in Seattle. Seattle must feel they can do things for him the packers were unable to do. I say not likely.

22. Journal Sentinel reported that all offers were comparable, but Lacy chose Seahawks because of more emphasis on the running game. I think good move by them – he can get extra yards on 1st down to shorten 2nd and 3rd, like he did for the Packers. Using him sparingly might prevent injuries. Mistake by Packers to let him get away – esp. to Seattle where he can act like Lynch for limited downs per game. Losing Lacy and Offensive linemen, Packers will be quick passing 70% of plays.

23. cheeseisfattening says:
    Mar 15, 2017 12:42 PM
    Lacy was not going back to Green Bay after Mike McCarthy fat shamed him unless the Packers were willing to break the bank for him. Green Bay matching Seattle’s offer was not going to get it done.
    -/////////////////////////////////////////////////

Right. As though the choice was his. Good one.

But then again you are the fat-shaming king on this site, so who am I to say? Fat-shaming is your “thing,” your “schtick,” so you may have better insight than me. You get it.

24. Make me wonder if you watched any Packer games the last 2 season?

He had a 5.1 YPA last year. His problem wasn’t what he was doing during the game. He was actually very effective when he was healthy.

And most players are going to put on some pounds in the offseason if they are injured.

25. I’ll be honest. This is exactly the kind of contract I was hoping the Packers give him. They still have tons of cap space, and even if this will end up over-paying him, I don’t think it’ll be by much.

That said, if he did “prove” himself at the end of next season, that’s when I’d let him walk. I don’t think he’ll be able to maintain his weight once he gets paid.

26. weepingjebus says:
    Mar 15, 2017 12:09 PM

“11 out of 12 of these contracts are underinflated.”

**************************************************

In other words, Just the exact opposite of Lacy.