Brian Hoyer: I’m not content to be a backup, I can start for 49ers

Getty Images

Brian Hoyer wants to be a starting quarterback, and he’s gone to a team where he thinks he will be.

Hoyer said on PFT Live that his priority in free agency was finding a team where he believes he’ll earn the starting job, and after talking to 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan he believes the 49ers are that team.

“I’m going to have a really good opportunity to go in and be the starting quarterback, and that’s all I’m looking for at this point in my career,” Hoyer said. “I’m not ready to sit there and be content going into the season being a backup. I wanted an opportunity to compete for a starting job.”

Hoyer said Shanahan hasn’t promised him anything, but Hoyer believes that having played for Shanahan before, he’s going to have a leg up on any other quarterback the 49ers might bring to camp.

“I can go in there Day One and call the plays. I don’t have to learn a whole new system,” he said.

Hoyer has started 27 games in the last three seasons, so it’s not like he’s unaccustomed to starting. But for most of his career he’s become the starter only because another quarterback ahead of him on the depth chart either got hurt or played poorly. In San Francisco, he thinks he can take the reins from the first day, and lead the 49ers going forward.

Permalink 62 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
62 Responses to “Brian Hoyer: I’m not content to be a backup, I can start for 49ers”
  1. theghostofottograham says: Mar 16, 2017 8:53 AM

Same problem Hoyer has wherever he goes. Thinks he’s a starter but plays like a competent backup…!!!

2. pastabelly says: Mar 16, 2017 9:02 AM

You have to admire any of these undrafted quarterbacks who make NFL clubs, become good backups, and then even manage to be marginal starters. That is no knock on this guy. He has a great story. That playoff start with Houston was ugly though and cost him credibility.

3. baldbuc says: Mar 16, 2017 9:02 AM

“It’s not too hard to fill the shoes of a man who’s barefoot” – Ronnie James Dio on replacing Ozzy Osbourne in Black Sabbath.

4. mljohns says: Mar 16, 2017 9:02 AM

At this point, I could start for them, too.

5. yankeemofo says: Mar 16, 2017 9:03 AM

Good luck. I always liked Hoyer and I hope he fonds some sustained success…althogh it may not be with the 9ers.

6. sigp320 says: Mar 16, 2017 9:05 AM

Brian if you really work your butt off, I bet you can improve them to eight wins

7. bobsacamano2 says: Mar 16, 2017 9:05 AM

Good luck, Hoyer. Solid player that will instantly make the 9ers a .500 team. He was 7-3 under Shanahan with the Browns before Ray Farmer texted down to put in Manziel.

8. madmax80 says: Mar 16, 2017 9:07 AM

I could start for the 49ers, too. But, I’m not about to give up my job as a vending machine technician.

9. boiler72 says: Mar 16, 2017 9:13 AM

Let’s discuss his playoff game for the Texans two years ago.

10. raiderrob21 says: Mar 16, 2017 9:14 AM

Pretty sad, but ANYONE can walk in and start for the 49ers.

11. jjackwagon says: Mar 16, 2017 9:14 AM

Hey Brian…I can start too but that doesn’t mean I am any good.

12. bernieknowsfootball says: Mar 16, 2017 9:17 AM

Well, with the niners, you won’t ever be in a position to choke in any game !!!

13. DitkasHair says: Mar 16, 2017 9:19 AM

…and really, how low is the bar set to say you should start for the 49’ers? You’re better off being on the bench, less chance of physical injury and still cashing a check.

14. thesmartestmanever says: Mar 16, 2017 9:20 AM

Everybody has a dream.

15. jets843 says: Mar 16, 2017 9:22 AM

I see this happening over the course of the next 18 months: GM Lynch: “Brian we’ve traded for Kirk Cousins”
    Hoyer: “Fine, I want out….NOW!”

16. RegisHawk says: Mar 16, 2017 9:27 AM

Let’s just say he fits Shanahan’s color scheme…

17. dumbpollack says: Mar 16, 2017 9:29 AM

He’s always been a legend in his own mind. I guess he just “forgets” about all the times he throws it to the wrong team.

18. lukedunphysscienceproject says: Mar 16, 2017 9:29 AM

Perfect 1 year bridge to a QB of the future. The niners aren’t going anywhere this year anyway, so why not a competent veteran that doesn’t cost much?

19. thetooloftools says: Mar 16, 2017 9:36 AM

Something is just wrong. He just keeps changing teams and changing teams. Either he’s not a good locker room guy, he’s has an over inflated view of his abilities, or maybe both.

20. streetyson says: Mar 16, 2017 9:42 AM

Don’t understand the Hoyer-hate. Dude was undrafted but had some smarts and was trained up to competency by Belichick. Despite never really having a team built around him and despite starting on some poor-ish teams, despite often coming in as backup, he’s posted a .500 career record with average personal stats. Put a good team around him and you’ll nudge above .500 with an outside playoff chance. No, he’s no Brady, but plenty of average QBs (Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Hostetler, Rypien etc) have won just as many SBs as Favre, Brees and Rodgers = 1.

21. corkspop says: Mar 16, 2017 9:43 AM

Hoyer will start…….. team will draft a rookie in round 1 or 2 ……. at about the 2 – 7 point, the front office will order the rookie to take over …….. there will be the inevitable imp0losion.

22. rodgerstonelson says: Mar 16, 2017 9:46 AM

Kap is a hard act to follow.

23. thelastwordyaheard says: Mar 16, 2017 9:49 AM

From Matt Ryan to Brian Hoyer ..that’s a bigger letdown than blowing a 25pt lead in the Super Bowl.

24. nsawins says: Mar 16, 2017 9:50 AM

Jim Harbaugh was a smart man running away from this dumpster fire of an organization. What a mess.

25. xavier179 says: Mar 16, 2017 9:52 AM

And I can win the World Series of Poker… get real Brian.

26. joetoronto says: Mar 16, 2017 9:59 AM

“Brian Hoyer: I’m not content to be a backup, I can start for 49ers”

Whoopdifriggindo, any QB can start for the Santa Clara 49ers.

27. dtriebel says: Mar 16, 2017 10:05 AM

As long as you are so content checking down, you better learn to be content being a backup.

The story of his career is 6 yards when you need 8, a field goal when you are down by 2 touchdowns.

I think he could be a starter if he was less satisfied with the safe play (and his stats) and was willing to take a chance when the needs of the team demanded it.

28. fordmandalay says: Mar 16, 2017 10:15 AM

I forget – is this Hoyer’s 8th team in 10 years, or 9th team in 11 years? Does he even bother to unpack?

29. tonebones says: Mar 16, 2017 10:17 AM

I’m sure Matt Barkley is also looking at the 49ers’ roster and thinking he should be their starting QB. Both guys are good enough to start in the NFL. I don’t think either one has reached his full potential, especially Barkley. Competition is supposed to bring out the best in everybody. Kyle Shanahan will get these guys to a higher level. I still think they’re taking a long look at Trubisky, but that’s part of what the makes the draft exciting. It’s a new era in San Francisco.

30. NFLexpert says: Mar 16, 2017 10:21 AM

I guess they told Kaepernick to go kneel in a corner…

31. factschecker says: Mar 16, 2017 10:28 AM

He has the right attitude. If he didn’t have confidence in himself then he’d just be wasting everyone’s time and money.

If you don’t have confidence in yourself then how can one expect others to have confidence in them?

32. texansdude says: Mar 16, 2017 10:29 AM

I’m gonna keep it polite. All I see in my mind is that gutless performance in the playoff game against KC whenever I see or hear his name. He earned that #2 jersey.

33. nickdamjanovic says: Mar 16, 2017 10:37 AM

All of you smart guys, ragging on a guy who’s made something of himself, has already beaten the odds. I hope he does make it, and that all of you “vending machine salesmen” in this comments string move fast up your own career ladders. God bless him, and god bless you.

34. redlikethepig says: Mar 16, 2017 10:42 AM

I think my pet cat could start for the 49ers.

35. nyneal says: Mar 16, 2017 10:57 AM

Hoyer is right. Hell, I could start for the 49’ers!!!!

36. sobceo says: Mar 16, 2017 11:01 AM

He will have a leg up until Kirk gets there…

37. thisoneguy1 says: Mar 16, 2017 11:05 AM

baldbuc says:
    “It’s not too hard to fill the shoes of a man who’s barefoot” –
    —–
    Nice.

38. sgordon909usdm419 says: Mar 16, 2017 11:20 AM

I DUNNO MAN….GONNA BE SOME STIFF COMPETITION WITH MATT BARKLEY!

*turns off sarcasm*

39. htowntexan says: Mar 16, 2017 11:28 AM

he’d still be starting in houston if it wasn’t for that playoff game; he ended the regular season pretty solid.

40. bobthebillsfan says: Mar 16, 2017 11:33 AM

If San Fran can surround him with players I think we will do OK. If, on the other hand, the focus is defense (Texans) or no focus (Bears) maybe not so much. Remember this, he did have a 10-6 record in Cleveland as a starter in 2013 and 2014.

41. pancaketaco says: Mar 16, 2017 11:34 AM

If you were a starter you’d still be in Houston and they would never have entertained Brock

42. lukedunphysscienceproject says: Mar 16, 2017 11:36 AM

tonebones says:
    Mar 16, 2017 10:17 AM
    ===

Wow. You’re an easy grader. Hoyer hasn’t reached his potential yet? He’s 31, he’s been in the league 9 years. I like Brian Hoyer, but as a competent stop gap, not as an up and comer who hasn’t reached his potential yet.

43. theimmaculatedeception says: Mar 16, 2017 11:40 AM

Dude has two good years under his belt in Shanny’s offense. If Hyde and Juszczyk can be effective in moving the chains, it might work out OK for Hoyer. Anything is better than the past few seasons.

Those 5,000 Niner fans in the stands each November might mushroom to 10k is the team can win 6

44. mantorras says: Mar 16, 2017 12:05 PM

if he can, then so can I.

45. halfcentaur says: Mar 16, 2017 12:20 PM

He can be a starter……..for a few games until his limitations get exposed. He can do a few things in short spurts, some heavy play actions and quick timing throws, things of that nature. But when he has to start consistently dropping back and reading coverage and finding windows downfield, he’s gonna crumble and the whole offense will sputter. We’ve seen it everywhere he’s been.

There’s a reason he’s never held a starting opportunity he’s been given. Because he’s nothing more than a bandaid, or in this case, a bridge to either a top pick next year or Kirk Cousins.

Really good backup. Bad starter.

46. dukeblue12 says: Mar 16, 2017 12:29 PM

See the 1st comment. Thank you theghostofottograham.

47. dougchillin says: Mar 16, 2017 12:32 PM

You are a back up. If you play you are just a back up in a starting role.

48. bert1913 says: Mar 16, 2017 12:44 PM

Santa Clara has no starter, so this might happen

49. audient says: Mar 16, 2017 1:06 PM

I know how this song goes. It sounds pretty good at first. Catchy. Then it starts to sound repetitious and predictable. And after a few weeks, you wonder how this was a hit, and you’re ready to move on to the next big thing.

Brian Hoyer is the Macarena of the NFL.

50. inthe330 says: Mar 16, 2017 1:24 PM

Brian, You can start the first 4 games while our newly signed Johnny Football serves his suspension.

51. immafubared says: Mar 16, 2017 1:42 PM

A starter? You were never a starter. yes you started but you sucked at it. How many chances does this guy thinks he gets to prove himself. He just aint that good.

52. bigbenisabigbaby says: Mar 16, 2017 1:45 PM

Well, what did you want him to say?

53. yearofthebrian says: Mar 16, 2017 2:39 PM

I’m a 49er fan, I’m totally happy with having Hoyer next year. He’s a huge improvement to what we’ve had, and I think he’s the best option available. A competent starter who you didn’t have to overpay, who knows the new system, that, from what I’ve heard, is a pretty complicated system. Who should they have signed? Cutler, Glennon? Romo and Cousins were the best options, but they aren’t coming to SF. They’re rebuilding, you’d have to be a total fool to think they’d go from what they were the last few years, to becoming an actual contender in their division. As a 49er fan, it’s really good to see a qb that’s hungry, that’s really wants to EARN a starting job.

54. omeimontis says: Mar 16, 2017 2:48 PM

Niners think he is better than Jay Cutler.

55. a1b24312 says: Mar 16, 2017 2:52 PM

There used to be a time when the back up quarterback was a serious player. Don Strock comes to mind; so does Johnny Walton.

56. theghostofberniekosar says: Mar 16, 2017 3:23 PM

He better hope the Niners don’t face any adversity this year or ‘Lil Shanny will pack up and cry his way out of town like he did in Cleveland.

But a well-oiled, respected organization with such model of ownership couldn’t ever have any issues, right? This should go pretty smoothly.

57. jjfootball says: Mar 16, 2017 3:26 PM

Your the best that this team will be able to get, so don’t worry your on a crappy team!

58. niles6590 says: Mar 16, 2017 4:14 PM

Hoyer needs a solid run game to be effective. When he started in Cleveland, he ran a playaction system and it was effective until Alex Mack broke his leg and the run game fell apart. When they had to rely on Hoyer without defenses having to respect the run, his play suffered quite a bit.

59. babygaga19 says: Mar 16, 2017 4:18 PM

Sorry man. You have had 27 starts in the NFL and haven’t been able to distinguish your self from a starter and journey man back up. That’s on you! Enjoy your paychecks and don’t complain. You are a starter only in your mind.

60. mrcneff says: Mar 16, 2017 4:38 PM

Ronnie James Dio, the Brian Hoyer of Metal.

61. dbara43 says: Mar 16, 2017 4:52 PM

“I can start for the 49ers”

So can the backup on my high school JV team.

62. discosucs2005 says: Mar 16, 2017 6:46 PM

Love his confidence. He’ll hold a hell of a clip board David Wess.