Chris Spielman thinks it’s time for Ezekiel Elliott to grow up

Getty Images

Chris Spielman and Ezekiel Elliott were both stars at Ohio State, but that’s about the only common ground they’re likely to find.

Spielman was asked by TMZ what he thinks of Elliott’s latest incident, in which he pulled a woman’s shirt down and exposed her breast in public, and Spielman was not amused. The questioner prefaced the question by referring to the 21-year-old Elliott as “still a young man,” and Spielman didn’t buy that.

“I want people to stop saying he’s ‘a young man,'” Spielman said. “There comes a point in time when we all know right from wrong. . . . At what point is it OK to pull some woman’s shirt down in public? What point tells you this seems like a good idea? So it’s not, ‘He’s a young guy.'”

Spielman, who played in the NFL from 1988 to 1999, said Elliott needs to grow up.

“He is bringing this upon himself. Nobody is bringing this upon him. And he’s not young. He is of the age where he knows right from wrong, so lets stop with the young card, I can’t stand it. There are no more young cards,” Spielman said. “It’s never OK to pull somebody’s shirt down. That’s insane to even justify that behavior. It’s crazy.”

Elliott is currently under investigation by the league over an allegedly violent relationship he had with an ex-girlfriend. The NFL has no comment on his more recent incident.

Permalink 80 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
80 Responses to “Chris Spielman thinks it’s time for Ezekiel Elliott to grow up”
  1. Della Street says: Mar 16, 2017 10:11 AM

Wow, thank you Chris!

2. jdzboyz says: Mar 16, 2017 10:12 AM

Valid points.

3. DawgPound83 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:12 AM

Spielmans jealous

4. gbrim20 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:13 AM

How dare you demand maturity and accountability from an NFL player. How dare you!

5. N JAIL U MY HOE says: Mar 16, 2017 10:15 AM

Chris has a point but he’s not Jim Brown so Zeke’s not gonna listen to him.

6. wyboemail says: Mar 16, 2017 10:17 AM

Elliott is a prime example of an athlete who his/her entire life has been enabled to do whatever they want with no repercussions. Someone was always there to bale them out of the trouble they would get themselves in. Chris is correct. Time to grow up. Start throwing these idiots in jail like the common man/woman would be for doing this and maybe, just maybe they will stop and actually think before doing something this stupid.

7. New England>Your Team says: Mar 16, 2017 10:17 AM

Well said. The act was just simply childish. It’s not “cool”, and only seriously insecure tools would defend something like that.

8. patsfaninus says: Mar 16, 2017 10:18 AM

Jerrah doesn’t care about character as long as Zeke carries that rock 25 times a game.

9. polegojim says: Mar 16, 2017 10:22 AM

Yeah, instead of regressing and getting MORE childish than the college days.

C’mon man. Act with some dignity and self respect.

10. patfic5 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:22 AM

When you’ve never been told “no”……I mean look how he handled his COACH at OSU.

11. liftheavyorliftheavy says: Mar 16, 2017 10:23 AM

Truer words were never spoken.

12. mrboado says: Mar 16, 2017 10:25 AM

Spielman handled the question with class. I like how he clearly stated that regardless of the age, a man knows that behavior is wrong. Secondly, I like how he pointed to the behavior and didn’t condemn the person. This gives Zeke the opportunity to apologize and grow.

Sure hope he takes it. Former Cowboys like Irvin, Emmett, and Sanders should definitely call him up. Zeke would listen to them.

13. infectorman says: Mar 16, 2017 10:28 AM

Waiting…
    Waiting…

Waiting…

For the other shoe to drop on Zeke.

In today’s hyper litigious society, if he can “get away” with sexual assault on film, the only explanation is that he/Jerruh/Cowboys paid her off the same way the Broncos paid off Elway and Terrell Davis to win their SB’s in the 90’s
    – with duffel bags full of cash.

There is NO OTHER explanation

14. blacknole08 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:30 AM

Spielman is right. Cowboys fans really need to stop enabling this guy

15. jxt2521 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:30 AM

Did he watch the video? He was partying with that girl in a Mardi Gras setting where she was flashing the people down below. That doesn’t give him the right to pull down her top but it does make Speilemans rant a little bit of an over reaction.

The point is valid in general. The young card is played way to much to enable people’s poor behavior.

16. gauchosporlife says: Mar 16, 2017 10:33 AM

I’m sure Spielman was a perfect angel during Spring Break in his college years.

17. nhpats says: Mar 16, 2017 10:35 AM

Elliot = Entitled Punk

18. Fargin_Icehole says: Mar 16, 2017 10:35 AM

Chris Spielman speaks the truth, always

19. youafool says: Mar 16, 2017 10:37 AM

So where it the article about how Gronk motorboated a chick on camera a year ago? Weird how that hasn’t gotten any attention…and for those of you keeping score homegirl flashed her own breasts repeatedly on the full TMZ video. But you guys keep hating.

20. nyneal says: Mar 16, 2017 10:37 AM

Thank you Chris Spielman!! If that were my daughter he did that to, I don’t care how big he is, I’d have gone after him. To treat any woman that way is disgusting. And if I were her father, I’d be just as upset at her for not going nuts on Elliott when he did it.
    I’m sick and tired of people making excuses for these men, too. I was married and working two jobs at the age of these young NFL players.
    I don’t want to hear that things have changed, either. The only reason they’ve changed is because we’ve allowed them to.
    Elliott should be suspended for what he did to this woman, because if that’s not contrary to the image the NFL wants to present, I don’t know what is.
    And if Jerry Jones had any class, he’d suspend him first. But stuff like this doesn’t bother Jones. After all, he and many other teams promote women being used in this manner with their scantily dressed cheerleaders.
    I keep pointing out that the morals in this country are going down the drain and people keep telling me I’m wrong.

21. tonebones says: Mar 16, 2017 10:38 AM

The way I was brought up is quite a bit different than the way a lot of NFL players were brought up. I had a mom and dad to go home to every night, and my parents had moms and dads to go home to also. All my neighbors had moms and dads too. We lived on safe streets. We never had to worry about meals or safety. My parents were very literate and could help me with my school work. I thought everyone had what I had.When I actually do get to see the way of these kids were brought up, I’m amazed at the hurdles they had to jump over to get to where they are today. There are a bunch of hurdles I never even knew existed. It all becomes very clear when you open your eyes. I’m not disagreeing with anything Spielman is saying. He’s been around the block too.

22. teal379 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:43 AM

Chris laid it out perfectly and in a professional way. Kudos.

He’s right 21 is not young – at that age your average person in the military is running multi million dollar pieces of equipment that can obliterate a house with the push of a button.

The idea that at 21 a person just can’t handle responsibility or know right from wrong and we need to wait a while yet is complete bunk.

23. thefan08 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:44 AM

jxt2521 says:
    Mar 16, 2017 10:30 AM

—————————————————————–
    Seriously, you are trying to justify what Elliott did because it is Mardi Gras. Please stop it. Spielman didn’t go on a rant, he was asked a simple question and he answered it. No man should ever pull down a woman’s top in public or private without consent. And if you are a football player who has a lot of eyes balls on you, if a woman did ask you (which didn’t happen in this case) to pull down her top in public. You simply thank her for the gesture and say no please. Nothing good will come from that. These guys go through training that helps them get better suited for life as a sports athlete in the lime light. Elliott needs to stop behaving like he hates woman and grow up.

24. getnakedandrunwild says: Mar 16, 2017 10:44 AM

Watch the video. The girl wasn’t flashing. There was no exposure until Bevis pulled her top down.

25. truninerfan49 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:45 AM

Zeke can’t be a stupid guy, he got an education at Ohio st. Oh wait, nevermind.

26. timmmah10 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:46 AM

Amen.

27. bradygirl12 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:46 AM

It doesn’t matter how great Elliott is on the field. His utter disrespect for women needs to be dealt with . Spielman is right on the money. There is no excuse for it. If Brady can be suspended for something that never happened, this guy can sit out the first 4 for something he did ON VIDEO. I would say this even if I was a guy.

28. minanten says: Mar 16, 2017 10:46 AM

jxt2521 – “Speilemans rant a little bit of an over reaction.” NOT!!! Under ANY circumstances this is BAD! This just reinforces the idea that was previously suspected. This dude has NO respect for women or anyone else but himself! RIGHT ON Speilman!

29. nhpats says: Mar 16, 2017 10:49 AM

youafool says:
    Mar 16, 2017 10:37 AM

——————

So if the woman showed her own breasts that gives Elliot a pass to pull down here shirt? Get real son. No man has a right to do this to a woman without consent…..under any circumstances.

30. bradygirl12 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:50 AM

N JAIL U MY HOE says:
    Mar 16, 2017 10:15 AM

Chris has a point but he’s not Jim Brown so Zeke’s not gonna listen to him.

_________________

Jim Brown would probably just tell him to make sure there’s no cameras around the next time. There’s another example of a great football player with zero respect for women.

31. maust1013 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:54 AM

youafool says:
    Mar 16, 2017 10:37 AM
    =====================

You mean the one where he was in the VIP area of a club and the woman was offering body shots?

32. timmmah10 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:55 AM

tonebones says:
    Mar 16, 2017 10:38 AM

————————————–

Both Elliot’s parents were collegiate athletes at Missouri, so he had parents that were educated and they lived in a safe environment. It’s funny that you think because he’s black he came up from the streets, but that’s wrong.

His father has said that he’s had trouble with the spotlight. The guy is just trying to feel normal, unfortunately, our culture has made him feel that this is “normal” behavior, even if you and I know it is not. Zeke’s only hurdle is himself.

Spielman is 100% right and it needs to be said. I don’t care if this girl was flashing before or after on her own, that’s her choice. But he made a choice for her, and that is wrong. The NFL needs to acknowledge that, and proceed accordingly. Fine/suspension/SOMETHING must be done to keep Elliot in check and communicate to the rest of the league that behavior like this cannot continue throughout the league.

33. joetorontoisaclown says: Mar 16, 2017 10:56 AM

The difference between right and wrong is really not that hard to figure out. However, let’s not call this a case of sexual assault either.

34. electricboogalo says: Mar 16, 2017 11:00 AM

Boys will be dem boys.

35. mikejsmith32 says: Mar 16, 2017 11:01 AM

I’m a Cowboys fan and I really like what Elliott does on the field. But, he does need to grow up.

Even if it was “all in good fun,” you’ve got to be smart enough — or at least have smart enough people around you — to understand that this is a very bad visual.

I hope he learns from this.

36. jsuch2 says: Mar 16, 2017 11:07 AM

4 Game Conduct Suspension…………..it’s coming.

37. officialgame says: Mar 16, 2017 11:22 AM

Its a problem because you got a major enabler in JJ.

38. thisoneguy1 says: Mar 16, 2017 11:23 AM

nyneal says:
    Thank you Chris Spielman!! . . .
    —-
    Thank you, nyneal.
    If I could give 100 thumbs-up to the entirety of your comment, I would.

39. granadafan says: Mar 16, 2017 11:23 AM

A 21 year old is legally an adult, can drive, fight for their country, drink, and vote. He’s been to college and allegedly received an education, even if he didn’t complete the degree. Spielman is 100% correct. Stop with the excuses.

40. getnakedandrunwild says: Mar 16, 2017 11:26 AM

Jerrah needs to write the chick a check before she brings charges against Idiot for Battery.

41. salmen76 says: Mar 16, 2017 11:28 AM

Zeke really screwed up this time. The NFL was dragging their feet on ruling on his domestic violence accusations on purpose just to see if he would do something else dumb or disrespectful to women. Well, Zeke just gave them exactly what they thought he would. I will be surprised if he doesn’t get at least a 4 game suspension. Chris Spielman should be the Commissioner of the NFL! Goodell is just a weak bag of stale air and has no business running the NFL!

42. cardinealsfan20 says: Mar 16, 2017 11:28 AM

Perhaps Ezekiel Elliott thinks it’s time for Chris Spielman to mind his own business.

43. meximyke says: Mar 16, 2017 11:28 AM

Quit picking on elliott, he is in the NFL! When your in the NFL you can do what ever you want! Didn’t you know that they are above the law!!

44. edwicy says: Mar 16, 2017 11:35 AM

If you’re old enough to play in the NFL, sign a contract for big money, you’re no longer a young boy.

45. thisoneguy1 says: Mar 16, 2017 11:36 AM

tonebones says:
    The way I was brought up is quite a bit different than the way a lot of NFL players were brought up. . . .

My friend, I, like you and probably a lot of others here, grew up with two caring parents. I don’t underestimate what that means, and I appreciate those blessings every day of my life.
    On the flip side, I know many people — and have witnessed many others — who grew up in bad-to-horrible circumstances and still knew the difference between right and wrong, and the consequences of personal choices.
    I have a hard time using the “hurdles” they had to overcome as an excuse for bad behavior.
    Besides as timmmah10 pointed out, those “hurdles” do not apply here as Ezekiel Elliott did not come from a disadvantaged background.
    Just my two cents.

46. streetyson says: Mar 16, 2017 11:39 AM

Far too many oxygen-theiving kidults today! My uncle died aged 19yrs old, crossing a swollen river, advancing into Japanese machine gun fire in Burma, his body carried away and lost. He never even wanted to go – barely passed medical, ridiculed in basic training, sensitive, artistic and insular (and we think probably was gay, though certain he died a virgin anyway so moot). The MPs had to drag him back after he ran home to his mom and hid in the attic. He went in the end – and died 100 times the man that Ezekiel Elliot is. I wonder what my uncle thinks of these idiot buffoons today.

47. thisoneguy1 says: Mar 16, 2017 11:44 AM

cardinealsfan20 says:

So, cardinealsfan20 has a right to express his opinion in a public forum, but Chris Spielman doesn’t?
    Any act committed in public — in this case, technically a criminal act — is all of our business.

48. topcide says: Mar 16, 2017 11:48 AM

jxt2521 says:
    Mar 16, 2017 10:30 AM

——————————

If that was your wife, daughter, or sister you would be calling for Zekes head.

49. bernieknowsfootball says: Mar 16, 2017 11:49 AM

Like a lot of the others (Pro players) they think they’re above the law, its only a matter of time when he’s going to do something really stupid and then and only then they’ll do something about it !!!

50. infectorman says: Mar 16, 2017 11:53 AM

To all of you maroons who think this is no big deal….how’d you like it if that was your:

Girlfriend
    Fiance
    Wife
    Sister,
    Aunt
    Neice
    Cousin
    or Mother….he was diddling?

That perv’s gonna get his, eventually

51. psousa1 says: Mar 16, 2017 11:56 AM

It will get worse before it gets better. Always does.

52. bondlake says: Mar 16, 2017 11:56 AM

NFL = National Felons League

53. usedjock says: Mar 16, 2017 11:59 AM

As I read these comments the thing that stuck out to me is that there are so man thumbs down to posts about the fact that it is not ok to do this to a woman ever. As in EVER.

54. nathanp2013 says: Mar 16, 2017 12:12 PM

Looks like the Cowboys will need AP after all… park Elliott on the exempt list for 15 games.

55. clayjtitan66 says: Mar 16, 2017 12:17 PM

Ewoks never grow up.
    But most don’t mistreat women.

56. goldtooth80 says: Mar 16, 2017 12:18 PM

The cowboys had their shirts taken off VS Greenbay so he thought it was okay to do it to a woman.

57. dmca12 says: Mar 16, 2017 12:23 PM

Well said.

58. nhpats says: Mar 16, 2017 12:26 PM

cardinealsfan20 says:
    Mar 16, 2017 11:28 AM

——————

Perhaps Elliot should learn to mind how own business. If he would have been doing that….he would not have accosted the young woman.

59. norrismen17 says: Mar 16, 2017 12:26 PM

Who does that crap? Its ridiculous.

60. richndc says: Mar 16, 2017 12:38 PM

He’s right. 100%, but still, you are talking about a 21 year old millionaire with the world at his feet. Now, I know none of you commenting would have behaved in such a way and would have easily dealt with the bs from hangers on, gold diggers and wanna bees.

61. xxsweepthelegxx says: Mar 16, 2017 12:47 PM

Wooing a women to show her Tatas at Mardi Gras is one thing, but the point has always been to get THEM to show you their tatas. Clearly, by the reaction of the woman to immediate cover herself she obviously not condoning or expecting that to happen.

Zeke’ a tool. Lucky for him he plays for the right owner and in a business with a horribly inconsistent loser for a commissioner

62. deuce2222 says: Mar 16, 2017 12:47 PM

It’s obvious that the Patriots filmed the entire incident. P

63. manderson4150 says: Mar 16, 2017 12:51 PM

Spielman’s not considered cool, so “Entitled” Elliott doesn’t need to listen…too bad, because his behavior is getting very old, makes those claims of domestic violence seem true……

64. kevpft says: Mar 16, 2017 12:59 PM

He is a young man – heck, many college grads are older than Elliott and he’s already got one year in the NFL under his belt – but he does also need to grow up.

No torches and pitchforks necessary – Elliott hasn’t really done much of anything that’s so wrong or hurtful to date. But he definitely needs to straighten out now, so that he doesn’t end up doing something criminal.

65. cosmicredneck81 says: Mar 16, 2017 1:07 PM

Chris who? Exactly

66. WasLemmytoocontroversial? says: Mar 16, 2017 1:12 PM

“Not Mutually Exclusive”

It means it’s wrong for him to pull her shirt down AND it’s wrong for her to be acting like a, well, you know…..

Respect, you need to earn it. Both participants here are still in the process.

67. firecracker87 says: Mar 16, 2017 1:23 PM

He won’t last long.

68. xballhawkx says: Mar 16, 2017 1:24 PM

Opinions are like a$$h0les.

69. xdolfan says: Mar 16, 2017 1:48 PM

I cannot think of a former NFL player who played the game with more heart and who has lived his life with more integrity than Chris Spielman. He’s 100% correct about Zeke. All the haters can leave. He’s untouchable in this.

70. dublindemonszfl says: Mar 16, 2017 1:58 PM

isn’t he obviously growing up? He’s a kid, it’s inevitable. Why does the guy feel the need to comment?

71. cardinealsfan20 says: Mar 16, 2017 2:34 PM

thisoneguy1 says – “Any act committed in public…is all of our business”.

So tell us how this act occurring 100’s of miles away from you or Spielman has any effect on your lives. Moreover, how does either you or Spielman expressing an opinion on an incident that you have no personal knowledge of benefit society in any way?

72. vaqueros4life says: Mar 16, 2017 2:42 PM

Lifelong Cowboys fan. I have never been a star athlete, one who is never questioned and always gets his way. I don’t know what that kind of environment does to someone as far as having a warped sense of what is right or wrong, acceptable or unacceptable. I don’t think anyone has ever stood up to Zeke with real consequences for the things he does, while the higher ups around him defend him and excuse his behavior. I don’t know Zeke, I don’t profess to know how his mind works or what is in his heart. But it appears to me just from looking at him interact with his team that he truly cares and loves them, especially Dak. And he does truly love football. He needs to get suspended for some games. He needs to get a punishment that not only affects him, but also his teammates, which he will have to face every day. I think (hope) that letting his team down and having to sit and watch his team go on without him will finally give him the wake up call that he needs to get his act together, start acting like a professional (see Dak), and respect the game, his team, and the opportunity he has been given.

73. bamboozle99 says: Mar 16, 2017 2:50 PM

Young? Why not call it what it is? Plain dumb.

74. crownofthehelmet says: Mar 16, 2017 2:56 PM

Just another reason why Zeke can’t hold a candle to L. Bell.

75. 'boys4life says: Mar 16, 2017 3:12 PM

He was just playing, being old doesn’t mean you can’t have a good time. The girl was okay, he just wanted to see some booby. The problem is the media and every Tom, Dick and Harry with an opinion and a comment button.

76. clayjtitan66 says: Mar 16, 2017 3:14 PM

Your bro sucks as GM.

77. mezanine10 says: Mar 16, 2017 3:34 PM

You gotta admit, Zeke was exposing some nice knockers. Just kidding.

78. medialovesthecowboys says: Mar 16, 2017 4:21 PM

Honestly. It’s pro football. When did we care so much about what these knuckleheads do off the field? PFT is annoying.

79. mudachains says: Mar 16, 2017 4:49 PM

Look Chris buuubies! Made you look! -Zeke

80. jocyn says: Mar 16, 2017 8:19 PM

Elliott reminds me of Desean Jackson as a rookie.