Eddie Lacy is out to prove he’s not a fluke

Getty Images

Running back Eddie Lacy picked a bad year to have a bad year. Now that he has followed his contract year with a one-year deal in Seattle, Lacy hopes that his second consecutive contract year will be better.

“I just want to come out and showcase what I can do, prove that I’m not a fluke, that I can do what I do and do it really well,” Lacy said after joining Seattle, via the team’s official website.

“I’m very motivated to prove myself,” Lacy added. “I know what I’m able to do, but I just want to go out and show everybody that I can do it and will do it. I just can’t wait to get my chance.”

He has plenty of reasons to do that, since nearly half of his compensation is tied to: (1) playing; and (2) playing well. Lacy thinks he will.

“They definitely fit the way I run,” Lacy said.“I’ve always favored Marshawn Lynch’s running style, and that’s something Pete Carroll definitely likes. I’m going to come in and do my best impression of him and just bring my hard work and my hard running style to the table.”

Not many guys can impersonate Marshawn Lynch, both as to his running style and his durability. While Lacy seemed to be on the right track during the first two years of his career, the second two weren’t good. Which helps explain why his contract in Seattle wasn’t nearly great as the initial reports suggested.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
48 Responses to “Eddie Lacy is out to prove he’s not a fluke”
  1. nflfollower says: Mar 16, 2017 8:50 AM

Thomas rawls is a better back. Unless Seahawks O line improves lacy is gonna struggle. From his years in GB i noticed his big runs are when he gets a full head of steam into secondary through big holes…. early contact slows him down and he’s not nearly as difficult to bring down either behind or at the line of scrimmage. He doesn’t have as much explosion as Rawls. And Seattle O line isn’t as good as green bays.

2. scoops1 says: Mar 16, 2017 8:58 AM

sure he doesn’t want to prove he is a fluke…..but in Seattle, the question is: How much FLUKE will he eat??

3. screamingyellowzonkers says: Mar 16, 2017 8:59 AM

To prove he is not a “fluke”, he needs to prove he’s not a human garbage disposal with his diet.

“Hey, hey hey. Get outta my way. Fat eddie is coming this way”

4. cardinealsfan20 says: Mar 16, 2017 9:01 AM

Good luck Eddie! Too bad that you can’t have the opportunity to truck all the “fat jokers” like you did that Vikings CB.

5. dickgazinya says: Mar 16, 2017 9:03 AM

If he was serious he would already be in better shape. So after you get your contract you will start working to improve? That was your plan?

6. jjackwagon says: Mar 16, 2017 9:10 AM

Eddie Lacy is out to prove he’s not a fluke…at the buffet.

7. cakesw says: Mar 16, 2017 9:10 AM

He’s not a fluke….

That flab is a legitimate mixture of Pancakes, Hot Dogs, Candy and beer….

8. filthymcnasty3 says: Mar 16, 2017 9:12 AM

“I’m going to come in and do my best impression of him…………”

He’s already got the Skittles part down pat.

9. chadpauley0475 says: Mar 16, 2017 9:18 AM

Big and beautiful. Go Hawks

10. artvan15 says: Mar 16, 2017 9:24 AM

More contracts should be based on compensation and wins. You would have better football.

11. 4sacroc says: Mar 16, 2017 9:27 AM

Who said he was a fluke?

The guy had two really impressive seasons (2013-14).

Then he got fat. That was on him.

Then he got hurt. Possibly from being overweight.

No one disputes he’s a good back.

People question his attitude and self-discipline.

12. 6thsense10 says: Mar 16, 2017 9:27 AM

I haven’t ran across too many people that question Lacy’s talent….Plenty question his commitment though….and who can blame them when a running back that should weight 230lbs max routinely shows up weighting well north of 250lbs……

Even last year which was a contract year he showed up looking like he weighted at least 255lbs……If a contract year at a position that typically pays a player only 1 big contract is not enough motivation to get in the best shape of your career well nothing will do it. The shame of it is even at that weight he was performing relatively well…..but minus the explosiveness to take him over the top. It’s a shame.

13. RegisHawk says: Mar 16, 2017 9:29 AM

It’s a long way to Week 1; we’ll see how he handles his weight over the course of the off-season and Training Camp.

14. localoutlaw says: Mar 16, 2017 9:29 AM

Good luck with Eddie’s asthma attacks in the middle of games and injury history…

15. mmmpierogi says: Mar 16, 2017 9:31 AM

I don’t think anyone’s claiming that Lacy is fluke. They’re just claiming that he might be a bust.

16. coachhighscore says: Mar 16, 2017 9:37 AM

Lacy: “just bring my hard work”…. if you worked hard at all, you wouldn’t be such a fat ass.

17. pastabelly says: Mar 16, 2017 9:51 AM

If he plays really well, it will only prove what a fraud he was in Green Bay by not taking himself or the game seriously the last couple of years.

18. atthemurph says: Mar 16, 2017 9:54 AM

And now he’s back on the couch watching cartoons…….

19. baronvonheil says: Mar 16, 2017 9:56 AM

Lacy’s weight is totally irrelevant. He’s Jerome Bettis with better hands and was a bad fit for the Packers. The Packers weight goals for Lacy were never realistic. Even 260 is not a big deal for Lacy. Rams were just as dumb Bettis. Rawls is a feisty ruinner. He injures himself because he runs like power back and he isn’t. Lacy has a legit shot to have a Marshawn like workload here.

20. firejerry says: Mar 16, 2017 9:56 AM

Oh well Eddie, you may be fat and slow, but you have pretty hair.

21. New England>Your Team says: Mar 16, 2017 9:59 AM

Why does every slightly larger back be compared and/or compare themselves to Marshawn Lynch? I mean, seriously………????????? Dude, you’re about half as elusive as that man.

No offense Eddie, but you’re more like a Blount. If the line is good so are you. If not, you’re good for 2 yards and a cloud of dust.

22. joetoronto says: Mar 16, 2017 10:01 AM

Now that he got paid, I fully expect him to eat himself out of the NFL.

23. aarons444 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:05 AM

We’ll never forget you, Eric.

24. The Almighty Cabbage says: Mar 16, 2017 10:06 AM

Seattle fans will love him if he stays in shape/healthy. He’s a very likable young man with a great sense of humor. He’s also an absolute truck when he gets rolling. I’m definitely going to miss him with the Packers.

25. aarons444 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:07 AM

If he was serious he would already be in better shape.
    ===

Exactly.

So glad Ted didn’t bring him back.

26. 250dollarnflowner says: Mar 16, 2017 10:07 AM

showed up for free agent interviews at 267 lbs. He’s a FREE AGENT! If he’s not in shape for those interviews, he NEVER will be. Bad move seattle. I would’ve taken one look and said “go home”.

27. petersjeffrey36 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:09 AM

you people like to jump on the band wagon of fat shaming.. look at his averages, he can run big just fine… the only question is can he stay healthy at that weight, as it would seem his ankles cant take it. another note , may be you just tell the man to stop jumping, last season jumping over defenders was the cause of the initial injury and what ended up putting him out for the season.

28. chawkup says: Mar 16, 2017 10:10 AM

On the bright side, if he keeps on eating we can just convert him to an offensive lineman and he will likely be an upgrade.

Man, Schneider and Carroll have earned a lot of free passes based upon their success, but Joeckel and Lacy as our big free agent additions doesn’t seem like much of an improvement to me. Hope I’m wrong.

29. fumblenuts says: Mar 16, 2017 10:16 AM

IF……..this guy is REALLY serious about getting in shape and STAYING that way he’ll be EXTREMELY dangerous.

30. packmangamble says: Mar 16, 2017 10:17 AM

You should have done that about two years ago Eddy!

31. mmmpierogi says: Mar 16, 2017 10:27 AM

baronvonheil says:
    Mar 16, 2017 9:56 AM
    Lacy’s weight is totally irrelevant. He’s Jerome Bettis with better hands…
    ******************************************************************************

I’d take Bettis any day over what Lacy’s accomplished to this point. I suppose Lacy could feasibly get there one day if he works his ass off, but any attempt at equating those two at this point is a joke.

Also, one of Bettis’s trademarks was his durability and ability to take the pounding that he did without being injured all the time. Lacy has been the opposite of that.

32. polegojim says: Mar 16, 2017 10:28 AM

Refrigerator Lacy at Running Back.

33. electricboogalo says: Mar 16, 2017 10:29 AM

What have you been doing the last 2 seasons?

34. aarons444 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:29 AM

you people like to jump on the band wagon of fat shaming..
    ===

I’ll admit, I’m loving this.

Maybe its lame, but I think he disrespected himself, his teammates, his organization, and the fan base.

The Packers are good enough to get to the Super Bowl. The D is garbage, but they’re easily one of the best teams in the NFC. Lacy is the type of player that could have been a key to getting them there. But he had better things to do apparently.

So yeah, I’m happy to take shots at him.

35. aarons444 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:33 AM

===

If not for a stupid play call, they’d have two Rings.

Other than Belichick, who else would you rather have running your organization over those two?

36. stellarperformance says: Mar 16, 2017 10:40 AM

He had his chance to prove himself, but he decided to read comic books all day and get fat…………just like a lot of rich teenagers.

If he matures and takes his profession seriously, he’ll do well. If he has asked Seattle to allow him to play the way HE feels comfortable playing and without changing or losing weight, they’ll both fail.

This was an important signing by Seattle. They can show Green Bay what they’re missing……or Green Bay can show them what they got.

I liked him. He has talent. But he’s lazy. Unless he finally decides to work he’s a fluke, in my book, and he failed himself.

37. bigugly2005 says: Mar 16, 2017 10:57 AM

Fatty Lacy will eat himself into oblivion. What a waste….

38. nyneal says: Mar 16, 2017 11:02 AM

No one ever said Lacy is not a good RB. He is. The question is his commitment to being the best he can be.

As a Packers fan, I wanted him back. And I think he’ll do a good job for the Seahawks. But they must lean on him about his physical fitness.

No Packers fan will ever forget watching him burst through a hole with no one in his way toward the end zone, only to see him run of gas before he got there and get tackled. It was embarrassing to see a professional athlete so out of shape he couldn’t run 40 yards without getting gassed.

39. medialovesthecowboys says: Mar 16, 2017 11:10 AM

There’s a been a large number of Packer RBs who were poised for stardom and it just never happened. Eddie Lacy is the latest. Montgomery is PROBABLY next.

40. aferraridriver says: Mar 16, 2017 11:11 AM

If Lacy can get down to 255 which is still 30 pounds over his 1st year weight in the NFL, I believe he will start out like a house of fire.

The problem is going to be his endurance and injury issues with the extra weight. His asthma can cause issues, but should be manageable.

Does he have the determination to get and keep his weight down? My dollar says “not likely”.

41. baronvonheil says: Mar 16, 2017 11:36 AM

History lesson: Bettis was considered a flash in the pan, he was overweight and asthmatic. Build and skill set identical to Lacy. Like Bettis Lacy is going to a team that wants to play power football and does not expect him to play at 235. Sorry, my analigy absolutely stands. Lacy has only one major injury and was averging over 5.0 ypc when he went down.

42. usedjock says: Mar 16, 2017 12:08 PM

As a Packers fan I will say that if you saw what he came in to the NFL at (225 ish I think) and saw what he was towards the end of his time at least 270 it was concerning. He has zero break away speed and if he doesn’t have a nice big hole in the line he wont do much for a guy his size.

I don’t fault the Packers one bit for letting him go because of his obvious lack of commitment to staying in shape. You know staying in shape that is a huge part of your job.

43. crownofthehelmet says: Mar 16, 2017 2:59 PM

Being too fat to play does not mean the prior seasons were a fluke, it just means he’s too fat to play. A more proper description of a fluke would be the Packers 2010 season.

44. cakesw says: Mar 16, 2017 3:01 PM

It’s not like he hasn’t had weight issues before….

Last year, that’s ALL we heard reguarding Eddie Lacy…

He hired Tony Horton, he was getting in shape, blah, blah, blah…

Why was he 276 already then ????

Clearly, after this many seasons in the game, Eddie Lacy still has no clue how to be a professional athlete, and that is concerning.

45. cheeseisfattening says: Mar 16, 2017 4:04 PM

Eddie is going to initially miss all the junk food in Green Bay but not for long as he will adapt well to Seattle.

And if not it will not be a big deal to Seattle as this is a low risk high reward signing.

46. stellarperformance says: Mar 16, 2017 4:49 PM

Eddie is going to initially miss all the padded stats from playing Minnesota twice per year.

47. stellarperformance says: Mar 16, 2017 10:22 PM

crownofthehelmet says:
    Mar 16, 2017 2:59 PM
    ///////////////////////////////////

The definition of a fluke is the ease with which the Packers dispatched the Steelers in the 2010 SuperBowl. Overrated Pittsburgh didn’t belong on the same field as the Packers.

That’s what you call a fluke.

48. crownofthehelmet says: Mar 17, 2017 4:13 PM

“The definition of a fluke is the ease with which the Packers dispatched the Steelers in the 2010 SuperBowl.”

Agreed, that was a fluke.