Kony Ealy didn’t expect to be traded

Getty Images

Kony Ealy became a household name in NFL circles during Super Bowl 50. He then ended up in the Carolina outhouse a year later.

Now traded to the Patriots, Ealy spoke with reporters on Thursday and addressed whether he thought he’d be traded.

“No, but you know, this a business, so you’ve got to be prepared for anything,” Ealy said. “I’ve been prepared my whole life for just different outcomes and obstacles to try to get up or down, so it’s just another part of life. You’ve just got to take the opportunities and make the most of them.”

Ealy already has demonstrated his ability to adjust based on his attitude toward becoming a Patriot.

“Coach Belichick is a great coach and he has a way of finding talent, so obviously he saw something that I put on film that obviously can help the team, contribute to the team, to help them get another winning season,” Ealy said. “I just look forward to just coming in, working hard, just doing my job and trying to help contribute.”

What Ealy may not realize is that, beyond talent, Belichick likes to acquire players who are in or who are entering the final year of their contracts. Then, if it’s a one-year arrangement and the player leaves, the Patriots get extra consideration under the convoluted compensatory draft pick formula.

Until then, Ealy will do whatever he’s asked to do — and he won’t talk about what the team plans for him to do. Which means he’s already embraced the Patriot Way.

“I’m not going to get into any details as far as [how I’ll be used], but basically, I just want to come in and whatever they need me to do, whatever the coaches need me to do, I’ll just trust that they’ll put me in the best situations possible and I’ll do what I need to do, and do my job and help the team,” Ealy said.

Ealy is on the books for a salary of $803,660 and a workout bonus of $100,000. So it’s a low-risk investment for the Patriots. And if they can coax out of him a big performance once the team gets to the AFC title game (again) and the Super Bowl (quite possibly), it will have been worth it, even if he leaves as a free agent next March.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Kony Ealy didn’t expect to be traded”
  1. musicfootballprogramming says: Mar 16, 2017 4:00 PM

Oh man Florio, now you’re just trolling the Pats haters.

Well done.

2. redsoxu571 says: Mar 16, 2017 4:04 PM

The compensatory draft pick formula is anything but convoluted. It is quite well understood by those who pay attention to such details.

3. New England>Your Team says: Mar 16, 2017 4:15 PM

Winners win.

4. 6ball says: Mar 16, 2017 4:20 PM

It will be interesting to see what Belichick and Matt Patricia can get out of Ealy. Sometimes a change of scenery and coaching style can help a player.

5. mullman76 says: Mar 16, 2017 4:27 PM

Still plenty of football left.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Go RAIDERS

6. bobthebillsfan says: Mar 16, 2017 4:41 PM

“…to help them get another winning season,” Ealy said.”

He has a lot to learn. A winning season is not good enough. I’ve watched this team closely for years as we play them twice a year. Their philosophy seems to be anything short of an SB win is failure. I wish we had that attitude, instead of being happy making the playoffs. Maybe with Vance things will change.

7. weepingjebus says: Mar 16, 2017 4:41 PM

On the plus side, he now gets to play with a QB who dives towards the ball on a SB turnover, instead of away from it.

8. logast says: Mar 16, 2017 4:42 PM

I shouldn’t be surprised any longer with moves done by BB. This one did. I have to say, I like it. I like it quite a bit.

9. exinsidetrader says: Mar 16, 2017 4:46 PM

These one-year players let Belichick get the most effort from them AND a compensatory pick if they leave. Why is your GM not this smart?

10. bobthebillsfan says: Mar 16, 2017 4:51 PM

I meant Sean McDermott. Tough day at the office, I guess.

11. donlogansb says: Mar 16, 2017 4:52 PM

His 2016 numbers are almost identical to Nincovich’s 2016 numbers, although Ealy played in four more games than Nincovich.

Flowers had better 2016 numbers than both.

12. amadorcountyca says: Mar 16, 2017 5:55 PM

The downside is the Patriots had to give something of value for the almost SB L MVP. Florida doesn’t mention the cost to the Pats. Must have been high.

13. maust1013 says: Mar 16, 2017 6:24 PM

amadorcountyca says:
    Mar 16, 2017 5:55 PM
    ===================

NE gave up 8 whole spots of draft position to get Ealy. Their 2nd round pick for Ealy and Carolina’s 3rd rounder, from 64 to 72. They really broke the bank, lol

14. maust1013 says: Mar 16, 2017 6:50 PM

” Then, if it’s a one-year arrangement and the player leaves, the Patriots get extra consideration under the convoluted compensatory draft pick formula.”

They often also get a damn good year out of a player that is essentially singing for his supper. And yet somehow Ryan Grigson has been an EOTY but Belichick never has…

15. ak185 says: Mar 16, 2017 7:42 PM

I know the Panthers had soured on Ealy, but he still had a lot of potential. The entire team had a down year, especially the defensive line, but it’s surprising to me that they were looking to trade him. The Patriots got decent value, especially considering that they got a 3rd rounder back as well.

16. harrisonhits2 says: Mar 16, 2017 9:23 PM

“What Ealy may not realize is that, beyond talent, Belichick likes to acquire players who are in or who are entering the final year of their contracts.”

Actually he likes to maximize the results of anything he does with the team. What you point out is just one small factor of why they succeed.

17. jgedgar70 says: Mar 20, 2017 11:45 AM

Ealy’s issue here in Carolina was that his motor wasn’t always running 100%, and that frustrated the hell out of the coaches. In games, he always performed better when he wasn’t starting. Then he’d get put in the starting lineup, and would disappear for long stretches. We’re having the same problem with Tre Boston at safety, and are hoping Mike Adams, along with Kurt Coleman, can help Boston see the light.

So we traded Ealy, and signed Julius Peppers to replace him. Upgrade.