David Ash, QB with troubling concussion history, hopes to get drafted

Getty Images

When David Ash, Texas’s starting quarterback, quit football in 2014, he said he had to do it for his health: Ash had suffered a season-ending concussion in 2013, then suffered another season-ending concussion in the first game of 2014.

So it came as a surprise this week when Ash announced that he plans to return to football and hopes he gets drafted.

Ash will participate in Texas’s Pro Day this month, and he says he has been given medical clearance to play again. But just because Ash’s doctor says he can play, that doesn’t mean NFL team doctors will agree. No doctor can ever say with any degree of certainty whether any individual player will or won’t suffer a concussion at some point in the future, but when a player has suffered season-ending concussions in each of his last two games, any team doctor is going to be incredibly cautious about clearing him on the team’s draft board.

There’s also the fact that Ash wasn’t considered a great pro prospect even before he suffered those concussions. It’s one thing to take a medical risk on a guy with can’t-miss talent. It’s another thing to take a risk on a guy who might not make it even if he stays healthy.

Add it all up, and it seems unlikely that Ash has a future in the NFL. But he’s going to give it his best shot.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “David Ash, QB with troubling concussion history, hopes to get drafted”
  1. waynefontesismyfather says: Mar 17, 2017 7:10 PM

Good for him for giving it a go and following his dreams. I dreamt last night I was eating a burrito. Today I had one for lunch, I chased my dreams and made it happen. Hopefully he gets to say the same.

2. 1stargazer says: Mar 17, 2017 7:29 PM

waynefontesismyfather says:
    Mar 17, 2017 7:10 PM

——————————————————–
    Yeah, I always say dream big. How big was that burrito?

3. ak185 says: Mar 17, 2017 7:40 PM

It’d probably be bigger in Texas.

4. waynefontesismyfather says: Mar 17, 2017 7:47 PM

1stargazer says:
    Mar 17, 2017 7:29 PM

Yeah, I always say dream big. How big was that burrito?

I got the El Gordo, double everything on it, had to be like 4 pounds total!

5. florida76 says: Mar 17, 2017 7:54 PM

Concussions will always be a part of pro and college football, and David Ash is fully aware of the risks he will be taking. It’s not our call to decide for him, if he’s
    good enough to make it as a punter, the concussion risk goes way down.

6. petedutcherjr says: Mar 17, 2017 8:25 PM

No chance he gets drafted. He;s only saying that to see if he can get a contract.

This is why players should not get anything for the brain damage playing football causes sometimes. They already know the risks and THEY decide to ignore them for the money.

7. harshedmellow says: Mar 17, 2017 10:11 PM

Bad concussions have serious repercussions and should evoke discussions before risking further noggin-percussions.