Packers reportedly considered Adrian Peterson visit

Getty Images

The first free agency in the 10-year career of running back Adrian Peterson continues, for good reason. He still wants to be paid more than anyone wants to pay him.

One team that would be a logical fit for Peterson considered bringing him in for a visit. Via Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com, the Packers thought about it before deciding against it.

If the Packers said “no thanks” because they believe Peterson would have had the same response to any offer from the Packers, there’s possibly a chance they jump in, if/when Peterson realizes that the money simply won’t be close to where he thought it would be.

Still, the smartest play for Peterson could be to wait. Wait for teams to not emerge from the draft with the running back they hope to get. Wait for teams to become discontented with the running backs on their roster during offseason workouts. Wait for the inevitable torn ACL, broken leg, etc. suffered by a starting running back with a contending team.

Meanwhile the Packers will potentially wait for Peterson to decide that he wants to play for whatever he can get.

However it plays out, Peterson likely will play this year. The only questions are where and, perhaps more importantly, when.

87 responses to “Packers reportedly considered Adrian Peterson visit

1. whats his worth? 5-8-10 Million?

I would pay $8 million a year with bonus money for leading the league.

2. Peterson is not what he once was, obviously.
    However, he’s not as bad as some want to think.

Imagine a defense facing him on the Vikings with those QBs Bridgewater or Bradford, & that awful offensive line, compared to facing him with Aaron Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Martellus Bennett running down the field.

Peterson would see open space like never before. I could see a 1200-yard season easily in Green Bay.

3. AD will get 1000 yds this season….book it!

if he goes to GB he wouldn’t face those 8 and 9 man boxes he did his entire career in minny

4. Here is the likely strategy being employed by AP: A) Don’t sign anything that would cause him to have anything to do with training camp; B) Accept best active offer in camp’s waning days; C) If no likely playoff team is calling, wait until one comes following serious injury to a starter.

5. What does that story line even mean? Packers “reportedly considered” Adrian Peterson visit??

You could argue every team in the NFL “reportedly considered” a visit from every single free agent.

6. Let him spread his seed there and leave a couple of kids in Green Bay. When he retires he can always fly back to beat them.

7. Adrian Peterson will instantly become the greatest running back in history if he signs with Green Bay. To Green Bay fans.

Love it.
    Sign the child beater and watch packer fans get all twisted in knots over how great he is, after trashing him for a decade.

8. Can’t block, can’t catch, can’t run out of shotgun, past his prime, rides camels, beats scrotums of small boys, wants quarterback money, fumbles constantly, has no concept of team, has no experience with a quality organization, funnels money out of a charity to purchase orgies.

But other than that, I don’t see why not.

And this guy will probably get his jersey retired in South Ontario.

9. He’s a free agent. I’m certain every team thought about if he was a good fit or not. Why is this news?

10. Believe it or not, I think Peterson is good for 1000 yard season, might even finish as high as a top 5 RB in 2017.

But no way should the Packers sign him for one simple reason, the Packers have gone to the playoffs for the last 8 seasons in a row and with a decent draft, might make it 9 in a row. All Peterson does is fumble in the playoffs, at the most inopportune time as any Viking fan will tell you.

Its not a good fit at all.

11. Peterson is washed up; why would anybody want to sign a guy that can no longer even average 2 yards a carry?

12. He’d be a terrible fit for the Packers offense. Too much time in shotgun. Too much checking down to the backs and he can’t catch. Too many audibles for a guy who can’t pick up a block to save his life.

13. After Favre, wouldn’t it be poetic justice if AP won a Super Bowl at US Bank Stadium while playing for the Packers!

14. For all you folks who are proclaiming that Peterson would run wild in a GB offense, you seem to be ignorant of his short-comings.

(And this is conming from a Vikes Fan)

He can’t pass-block.
    He’s poor on
    So he won’t be on the field for a passing down typically

Therefore WHEN you put him in , the defense KNOWS it’s a running play, and you WILL have 8 defenders in the box.

But.. .nice try…

15. Please make this happen. If anything could derail a playoff season for the Packers, this would be it.

16. he’s not a “logical fit” for the Packers because he can’t run out of the shotgun and he’s worthless in the passing game as well.

Only a team with Minnesota’s 1908-style offense would want this hunk of junk

17. First snap of the 2017 regular season:

Adrian: “Hi, Aaron. What are you doing back here?”

Aaron: “I’m about to receive the first snap of the season. You’d better be ready, because I’m going to hand it off to you.”

Adrian: “Hadn’t you best get down behind the center? If you’re going to hand it off to me, I need to work up a head of steam before I get the ball.”

Aaron: “Ahhh…forget it. I’m just going to change the play to a pass. Make sure you watch to see if the Mike or Will is blitzing and pick him up or I’m going to get killed.”

Adrian: “Say what now?”

18. Let’s see how fast all the packa fans change their opinion of Peterson now. Let’s listen to them trying to justify why he would be a good player when all they have done is bash him for years. This is priceless.

19. As a Vikes fan I would be all for it, AP is not the running back he was 3 years ago, he doesn’t hit holes hard, he doesn’t block, he fumbles, this would be the best way to get Aaron Rodgers killed.

20. I guess this is news because Thompson rarely considers anybody.

and as usual his reason not to get him is that his too expensive.

21. As a Packers fan, no No NO !!!!!

I believe he will be signed and put up big numbers again, at least 1000 yards, maybe even lead the league.

But – unlike the big cities, Green Bay and the Fox Valley are very family-oriented small towns that view the Packers as family. I can tell you that for sure most of the community would be angry if they signed Peterson, and the only people who would be ok with it are fans new to the area. This would be a huge mistake, even if athletically he was the best FA available and was signed for minimum wage.

Some things are more important than winning football games. If you visit Lambeau and interact with the fans, all of this will become very obvious to you.

22. This isn’t revenge for Favre. Favre at least had one good year in Minesoda, if I was a Viking fan I’d want him to go to GB because he is done. He averaged 1.9 yards last year plus if he has anything left in the tank he won’t excel in this offense because he proved he can’t run out of shotgun. Thank you Ted for making the right decision.

23. I don’t care if he runs for 5,ooo yards next year. I would never cheer for a man that whips his kid bloody. The man belongs in prison.
    The Bears or Lions will have a new fan if this lowlife is plays for the Packers.
    Signed,
    Packer Owner

24. As a Viking fan; I would love this! I would love to see the ego clashes between 2 of the most self centered players in football in AP and Erin.

One player who hates his children and another player whose parents hate him.

Past that, I would love to see Erin lay into AP over his inability in pass protection… Erin would get killed.

Didn’t Green Bay lose 60% of their offensive line in the last 12 months… love to see him run behind that mess.

25. Packer fans are pathetic… the report is that the Packers considered AP and they are already changing their tunes about him beating their child.

Look at their moral strength of character… oh wait… they didn’t have any because they brought back a TE who shot at woman because they didn’t like his pick-up lines in a parking garage.

26. But – unlike the big cities, Green Bay and the Fox Valley are very family-oriented small towns that view the Packers as family. I can tell you that for sure most of the community would be angry if they signed Peterson, and the only people who would be ok with it are fans new to the area.

===

I understand if a guy comes to Green Bay and is a jerk and embarasses himself, the team and the community. Say whatever you want at that point, and run him out of town.

But do you really think Peterson would come in and be anything less than an upstanding citizen? Especially considering he doesn’t have a team and with his career bottoming out?

27. co0p11 says:
    Mar 24, 2017 1:24 PM

_____________________

He hasn’t signed with Green Bay. Heck, he hasn’t even visited them yet. Calm down a lot.

28. If anyone can get something out of him, it’s Coach McCarthy.

Adrian playing in the Super Bowl. In Minneapolis. In Green and Gold. I gotta say that’s #delicious.

#MarchtoMinneapolis

29. djvh2 says:
    Mar 24, 2017 2:24 PM

________

I hope nobody was eating lunch when they read this.

30. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Mar 24, 2017 3:35 PM

If anyone can get something out of him, it’s Coach McCarthy.
    _____

He did such a great job motivating Eddie Lacy by fat-shaming him.

Or, when you said he could get something out of him, did you mean donut money?

31. djvh2 says:
    Mar 24, 2017 2:24 PM

—————————————————

How do they feel about Mark Chmura? Or, another Viking castoff LeTroy Guion?

32. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    Mar 24, 2017 12:57 PM
    Love it.
    ===================================
    Except that none of this happened, and his name will always be linked with Minnesota first.

33. “I rather GB draft Joe Mixon”

i can see how this would be appealing, since he’s younger that gives him more time to rack up additional beatings whereas AP prob only has 2-3 years max left in him for beatings. Logically speaking, you’d go with Mixon due to his age and potential longevity of increased years of domestic violence. good call.

34. “I’m a Packer fan living in the NW, I’ll simply never understand the above mentality.”

35. “Yup, I’m sure all the Packer fans had an issue with Andrew Quarless when he was harassing women in parking garage and shot a gun at them because they refused to go home with him.

How do they feel about Mark Chmura? Or, another Viking castoff LeTroy Guion?

How do they feel about the “family-oriented” example Aaron Rodgers is setting to their youth?”

You are correct. Packer fans didn’t want Quarless back, and would’ve been happy to see the team release Guion. I think Chmura was already injured and forced into retirement, but yeah, fans weren’t ok with that either.
    As for Rodgers, when the truth is known we’ll see what the reaction is. Doesn’t it seem odd that his teammates love him yet he has issues with his family?

36. nathanp2013 says:
    Mar 24, 2017 3:21 PM
    ==================================================

You need to improve your reading comprehension. I don’t see anyone “changing their tunes about him beating their child.”. I’m not even a Packers fan.

37. djvh2 says:
    ———————-
    From the outside looking in; it seems like most of his teammates love the talent… hate the person. Why else would so many of his teammates trash the guy after the leave?

38. “Why else would so many of his teammates trash the guy after the leave?”

Like who? I know of Jennings and Finley, both wanted more passes thrown their way. Who else has trashed him?

39. cheeseisfattening says:
    Mar 24, 2017 1:01 PM
    And if it happens not a single Peterson jersey will be burned in Minnesota.
    ///////////////////////////////

There aren’t any left. They’ve all been used for fish wrap.

Do you?

40. A few years back, when Christian Ponder got hurt just before the playoffs, Adrian Peterson could not carry the team through the playoffs. No matter how good the running back is, the QB position remains the most crucial. RB is at best a supporting cast. Peterson thought that he was the MVP, but reality shows that no running back can win the Super Bowl if he is the best player in his team.

41. It’s because we’d rather have good people than people who need to act like they are good. Pretty simple.
    ===

So, again;

A guy could come to Green Bay, be a completely upstanding citizen, player and teammate… but beacuse of his PAST you wouldn’t want him?

Rediculously narrow-minded.

42. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    Mar 24, 2017 12:57 PM

Love it.
    _________________________________________

I am a long time Packers fan and I never trashed Adrian Peterson until he abused his 4 year old son. There is no question he is one of the best RB’s of his era and he always made playing the Vikings harder. I didn’t like him because he wore that putrid purple, but I respected his ability.
    If he signs with the Packers, I won’t be giddy about it because I still hate what he did to his 4 year old son. He abused that child in my view, and it’s a disgrace what he did to him. Anyone who hurts a child like that is a moron.
    But — the number of bad guys in the league has grown continuously and every team has bad guys on it — including the Packers. If they eliminated all the bad guys from the NFL, they’d be hard pressed to play games on Sunday.
    The other thing about Peterson is he’s definitely a player whose best days are behind him. There is a question of whether he can even stay healthy. That said, if he’s used correctly, he can still be an effective back.
    Finally — some team will sign him, no doubt. It could be the Packers, because it’s no secret they need help at RB. I’m sure Aaron Rodgers would love having his veteran presence in the huddle. If they do, I’ll have to come to grips with it, which will take some time, and he will never be a favorite of mine no matter what happens.
    I remember in 1996 when the Packers signed Andre Rison after the Jags had released him. Though he was a talented WR, I did not like Rison because of the stuff he did and said, so I was not thrilled with him being on the Packers. But there’s no question he helped them win the Super Bowl, and he was gone after that, signing with the Chiefs in ’97. I still think he was a head case, and I don’t consider him a great former Packer, nor do I like him.
    At least Peterson will have a chance of getting to the Super Bowl if he signs with the Packers. That’s more than he’d have if he had stayed with the Vikings.
    I must admit if Peterson signed with the Packers and helped them win a Super Bowl, I’d love heaping more misery on Vikings fans. That would be the best reason for signing him.

43. Of course they considered it, and so have 31 other teams. He could have helped GB if he wouldn’t mind a reduced roll/contract to match, BUT he isn’t a versatile recieving back, most RBs (such as anyone out of UWis) that is fed the ball and help dominate games in college usually don’t develop good hands or blitz pick ups skills which becomes glaring in pro games. He also can’t run out of the shot gun which is another must in GB system.

GB signing AP would like the Vikings signing Jennings. Good talent, aging/injury problems. It likely wouldn’t work as great as people would hope, because AP isn’t a savy receiving RB, and Greg Jennings wasn’t the big target, run blocking WR the Vikings should have targeted at that time.

44. AP needs to learn that there is more to being a man than playing football.

A real man is a father to his children.

You got 7 kids that you know of. Time to retire and be a man.

And when I say be a father to your children, I don’t mean mutilate their genitals.

You know what, maybe keep playing football and stay out of their lives.

45. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    Mar 24, 2017 12:57 PM

Love it.

49 107

I have never trashed Peterson on the field, I am a die hard Packers fan who grew up on the Wisconsin side of the border about an hour from Minneapolis and am well acquainted with Vikings football. Moss and Peterson are 2 all time greats on the field and I have never denied that and never will. Off the field, they are are not the greatest, although I do like Moss as an analyst.

I wanted the Packers to get Moss when he went to NE from Oakland and I wouldn’t mind Peterson this year at the right price. Both were all time greats in their prime and Peterson may have a good year or 2 in the tank if he is motivated and running in a great offense.

46. It was “reportedly considered”.
    I am reading this correctly, right?
    That sounds rather definitive. (Eye Roll)
    This is what passes for news today?
    Where or what are the sources, the hole OBJ put in the wall just outside the Packer’s locker room.
    This is truly hilarious.

It will never happen.
    And even if it did, in some skewed universe, I’m still intelligent enough to the point that I could still love my team without selling off my integrity and soul to cheer on this piece of garbage.
    I have the ability to differentiate between the two.
    The Barneys, not so much. skoLOL!

47. Maybe with a real offensive line like they have in GB, AP might be given a real hole to run through. Of course we would have to teach him what winning is like. That’s right after they run him through the delousing shower.

48. Peterson doesn’t pass block or catch well. A running back for the Packers must be able to do these things. Don’t see the potential fit.

49. Besides, I don’t recall Peterson pretending to retire three times while requesting an unconditional release, enabling himself to leave for a hand-picked team, other than his own, as his last best chance to win a SuperBowl.
    ——–
    Well you are leaving out parts like TT telling BF he had to retire but whatever. I guess those are good reasons for people to burn jerseys in trash barrels. Lol.

50. Want to get Rogers hurt?
    Let Adrian block for him on a third down pass play.
    Torn rotator cuff, bye bye!

51. cheeseisfattening says:
    Mar 24, 2017 10:26 PM
    /////////////////////////////

Except TT didn’t tell Favre he had to retire. After the second pretend retirement, he simply told him he had to STAY retired.

The Favre thumb-wave to his teammates in selfish pursuit of his own agenda may have led to some jersey burnings, but no more than what followed throughout Minnesota after Wide Left.

I forgot your point. What was it again?

52. Except TT didn’t tell Favre he had to retire… he simply told him he had to STAY retired.
    ===

Favre wasn’t good enough to compete for his job… but he was TOO good to play for someone else?

.. Ted’s mistake was with the media. He needed to tell Favre and Bus Cook he was working on a trade the minute the Sam Farmer story broke.

Every bit of posturing that the Packers tried blew up in their face. They had to hire a former White House Press Secretary to do damage control. Truly pathetic.