No timeline on Le’Veon Bell return, contract negotiations

Getty Images

Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell had surgery this month to repair the core muscle injury that knocked him out of the AFC title game and ginned up questions about why the team didn’t disclose the injury heading into the game after Bell said it had been an issue.

The injury didn’t stop the Steelers from using the franchise tag on Bell, which suggests they don’t think it will be an issue for him when the 2017 season gets underway. General Manager Kevin Colbert said on Sunday that it isn’t clear when Bell is going to be ready to resume football work, however.

“At what point does he return? The doctors, trainers and Le’Veon determine that,” Colbert said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “Our goal is to have him 100 percent for the 2017 season. Whatever path the experts tell us to take with that, we will follow.”

Colbert had a similar answer when it came to the question of a long-term deal for Bell. Beyond saying the team was interested, Colbert gave no hint about when there might be an agreement.

“At what point it gets done, I can’t say,” Colbert said. “It will be a very complicated type of deal. But it always has been our goal.”

Bell is set to make $12.1 million under the terms of the franchise tag.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “No timeline on Le’Veon Bell return, contract negotiations”
  1. tvguy22 says: Mar 27, 2017 10:09 AM

Maybe he’s busy talking to Franco Harris about a business venture…

2. trophylessvikings says: Mar 27, 2017 10:43 AM

I would hold out if I was Bell. He is fantastic, we all know that and so does the Steelers front office. They just dont want to give him a long term deal in case he gets hurt…well news flash Steelers office, thats a risk with every player in the NFL.

3. dougchillin says: Mar 27, 2017 10:45 AM

——————–

I would say the suspensions are a bigger concern.

4. bettis3636 says: Mar 27, 2017 11:02 AM

Bell has no leverage here honestly… yes hes a dynamic player.. but man o man hes hurt or in some kinda stink year after year.. Call up Barry Foster!! lol jk

5. steeldominance says: Mar 27, 2017 11:42 AM

Barry Foster? I hear Bam Bam Morris is making a comeback.

6. takeyourpunishmentandquitwhininglikeababy says: Mar 27, 2017 12:37 PM

It’s always great when you make yourself cap poor with a guy who consistently gets suspended and consistently gets hurt when you need him the most. Well done, FO. Give yourselves a big fat raise for that act of genius.

7. bobthebillsfan says: Mar 27, 2017 4:21 PM

I think the lack of honest injury report information may be getting lost here. I wonder if he really was a “full participant” in practices the week leading up to the AFCCG. Quoting from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette “Steelers star running back Le’Veon Bell was bothered by a groin injury even before he was forced to leave the AFC championship in the second quarter of the Steelers’ 36-17 loss to New England.”

8. strength531 says: Mar 29, 2017 6:48 PM

trophylessvikings says:
    I would hold out if I was Bell.