Robert Kraft: Tom Brady plans to play six or seven more years

Getty Images

Tom Brady wants to give George Blanda a run for his money.

Blanda, the Hall of Fame Raiders kicker and quarterback, was the oldest player in NFL history when he played at age 48. Brady, who will turn 40 in August, hopes to play almost that long.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft told reporters today that he talked to Brady a few days ago, and Brady told him he plans to play six or seven more years.

It’s almost impossible to imagine that actually happening. Blanda was only a kicker by the end of his career, and no quarterback has played past age 44. The oldest player to pass for more than 1,000 yards in a season was Warren Moon, who did it age 42. Athletes just don’t stay on top into their mid-40s.

Kraft also said he hopes his 64-year-old head coach, Bill Belichick, coaches into his 80s. So the Brady-Belichick combination will last for many more years.

Kraft will appear on Tuesday morning’s PFT Live.

132 responses to “Robert Kraft: Tom Brady plans to play six or seven more years

1. As much as love Brady and the Pats I kind don’t think this is gonna happen. I feel like it may be 2-3 more years and Brady will start to decline.

2. He’ll do anything to get out of the house – goes to show you celebrity spouses not always what imagined.

3. I don’t care if you dislike the Pats or Brady. I’m not a fan of either but if he plays at a high level into his mid 40’s that’s awesome!

4. That’s not going to happen. No One escapes injury and Father Time. It only takes one hit. Besides those hits add up and take their toll. CTE proved that.

5. Tom Brady is the GOAT. Remember when they showed Richard Sherman’s face during the SuperBowl? Thank you, New England for shutting up the most annoying team and fanbase.

6. Not a fan of Brady’s, but if anyone could do it, it would be him. He seems to have a great eating, training, and lifestyle system in place to keep him thriving.

7. Their offensive system will extend his playing life. Before anyone gets riled up, please, this is not an insult. It’s just smart football to protect your QB with quick releases and a good O-line. If they keep doing that Brady could play and be effective for another three years. But a big hit and he could be done, and I think they realize that’s a possibility. Otherwise they would have taken Cleveland’s picks for Garoppolo.

8. Two more years is reasonable. Three is a stretch. I’m not seeing this and still believe they need a transition plan for Garoppolo for 2019 after an extension or a franchise tender in 2018.

9. he certainly could play that long. He just won’t be a starter or he will be terrible for about 3-4 of those years. He may get clocked as well and be injured. before then

10. As much as I like the Pats and Belichick, there are times when I wish Robert would just keep his yap shut.

11. This is going to sound ridiculous (and it probably is), but as a long-time Patriots season-ticket holder, I am ready to move on from the Brady error. Not because it hasn’t been great – it’s been awesome. But with Brady now in his 40’s, we all know a change is coming and I guess I just looking forward to seeing what the Patriots are able to do post-Brady.

12. No way in hell, and I can’t believe Belichick’s buying into it either. As a die hard NE fan, I say 2 more years tops. Don’t let Garoppolo go anywhere.

13. logicalvoicesays says:
    Mar 27, 2017 4:07 PM
    Destroyed his cell phone for no reason at all.
    Cheater.

________________

Seriously, that’s all you got? Pathetic!

14. That may be a little ambitious, but I can see 3 yrs at a high level, followed by an ok yr or 2. ASchefter, who’s the best of the talking heads, not withstanding, JG is so gone. The Pats aren’t going into the best draft in 10 yrs with no 1rst or 2nd rnd pick. Pending a possible MButler deal. Cleveland made a huge offseason investment to rebuild their OLine, to protect their investment. The writing is all over the wall. Pats will get a ton, but Browns fans will eventually feel it’s worth it.

15. I believe Brady has three good years left but I would not be surprised if TB12 wins ring #6 he listens to wifey and walks off and retires as the GOAT. After all he has accomplished and what is ahead for him ( He’s at Augusta yesterday playing golf with Jordan Spieth ) it is the perfect time and will cement his legacy. That may be the reason they do not trade Garoppolo.

I see BB as the HC for another five years as his sons grow into NFL coaches. He said one of his greatest joys was coaching with his sons

16. As great as that sounds (coming from a Pats fan), I dont think that is realistic. and believe me I wish it does play out like that. But realistically, Brady probably has 2 or 3 good years left (barring injury of course). It gets interesting at that point when his playing slips just enough to make Belichick think about putting a different QB in.

And honestly, if Belichick wants to ride Brady even after hes no longer any good, I’m ok with that. (but i dont think that will happen). What those two have done for the Patriots (and us fans) is the greatest gift a football fan could want. We could lose every game from now till eternity and I will still die a happy man.

all that being said, I’m looking forward to next season and seeing if the Pats can repeat!

17. When does Belichick say, “Tom, you’ve done enough. There’s the door. Go through it and don’t look back.”

One more season and TB12 should go out on top. They have great team on paper and will go deep into the playoffs. Then let the new gunslinger Jimmy G. take over. You have to wonder if BB will take a stand at the end of the year. This is a game that can be so cruel in so many ways. Look at the legends of the game like Dwight Clark and Gale Sayers and there late life miseries recently revealed. You don’t want that. You want great memories of legendary accomplishes and not have your memory impaired by 4 or 5 more years of possible jolts to the head.

Let’s do it one more time Mr. Brady then look at the big picture and leave on top.

18. Assorted pft trolls are gnawing on their own extremities again after reading the headline

Lolz

19. raylewisandhisteeth says:
    Mar 27, 2017 4:12 PM

Anyone could play as long as him in the AFC East
    ———————————————————-

Yeah, must be really hard getting by the Bengals and Browns every year. SMH…

20. logicalvoicesays says:
    Mar 27, 2017 4:07 PM
    Destroyed his cell phone for no reason at all.
    Cheater.

——————

You know, there are so many great openings to troll this topic I just cant believe you fell back on such an old tired one.

Heck, I even trolled it (tongue in cheek though), and Im a Pats fan.

21. Doesn’t Brady have kids and a wife that made 35M last year? Man, just another shallow jock. When he’s done, he and Gronk should open a bar together. Sit around, nip some Jack and tell the PatriotPatrons about their Glory Days. It would be perfect for them. Tom doesn’t have a real retirement plan, does he? The good ones know when to sit down, retire on top, and not end up doing cheap gigs in Vegas.

22. No, it won’t be 6 or 7 more years. But we’ll be having this talk every year until he does decide he’s had enough.

23. As someone who roots against but respects the hell out of him, I hope he is smart enough to get out before the inevitable fall off the cliff happens. I really would hate to see his determination turn into him hanging on for years too long and putting any damper on this crazy legacy he has earned for himself.

24. chazjs says:
    Mar 27, 2017 3:58 PM
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    How dare you think this. Tom wants to play on and he looks after himself – you’re aware that he has the body of a 27 year old? 6 or 7 years may be conservative. He is defying the aging process before our eyes and he’s even playing better.

25. RandyinRoxbury says:
    Mar 27, 2017 4:34 PM
    I actually cried tears of joy reading this!
    ====================

At least we know the first 4 words of that are true chipster.

26. Huge Patriots/Brady fan here. I think he plays for 2 more seasons at a MVP-Caliber/Super Bowl level and then 2 more seasons where he’s clearly lost a little but is still better than 70% of the QB’s in the NFL. Hoping that he plays out his career and retires a Patriot. Although, if they don’t trade Jimmy G now, I have serious doubts he retires a Patriot.

27. Flash1287 says:
    Mar 27, 2017 4:36 PM
    GOAT

Suck it CRYBABIES youhave no argument

#5xchamp

*******************************************************

Nobody is crying, outside of New England he is universally regarded as a joke. He is nothing more than the product of the NFL trying putting pathetic bandwagon fans in seats.

28. The guy just led his team to its (and his) 5th SB Championship, engineering the greatest, most improbable comeback in SB history, and all anyone wants to talk about is how much longer he has, when his time will come, etc. How about living in the now? All that matters is that he is playing in 2017 and will probably play at the incredibly high level he’s always played at. As the Hoodie would say, “we’re on to next season”.

29. bucrightoff says:
    Mar 27, 2017 4:03 PM
    PEDs kept Peyton’s career alive another 4-5 years, could definitely do the same for Brady.

———–

Calling out QBs for PEDs in a league full of guys that bench 600 lbs and run sub 4.4 is like arresting someone for jwalking at the scene of an armed robbery.

30. I am not sure why he would say that. The only thing that makes sense is: They have a deal for Jimmy in place and they’re preparing Pats nation for the trade. I can’t see Mr. Kraft making a statement that weakens Pats position in both the future Jimmy negotiations and current Cleveland negotiations if they did not have a deal in place.

31. bigbadbills says:
    Mar 27, 2017 4:55 PM
    Flash1287 says:
    Mar 27, 2017 4:36 PM
    GOAT
    Suck it CRYBABIES youhave no argument
    #5xchamp
    *******************************************************

————–

That must be why his was the top selling jersey in every state in Feb.

Everyone has to become a fan at some point. You aren’t born knowing what football is. Bandwagon fans and all other fans are welcome.

As a side note, do you know what Bills stands for? Boy, I love losing Super Bowls. I didn’t know that before. I though it had something to do with Buffalo Bill, but this makes way more sense.

32. dietrich43 says:
    Mar 27, 2017 4:25 PM
    If anyone can cheat father time, it’s the Patriots.

———-

I may be a Patriots fan, but that is still funny!

33. .
    Taken at face value it seems nonsensical for a QB to be playing when he’s 45. However did your eyes see a 39 year old QB in the Super Bowl, or a QB who looked to be in his prime? Between the ages of 35-39 Brady has done nothing but improve. Overall, last season may have been his best.

34. Steelers’ fan here…as much as I respect what Brady and the Pats have done, I just can’t see this happening. I could believe 2, maybe 3 more years…7 is just unrealistic…

And, please don’t start with the PED comments. Same ones start it every time an article is posted about James Harrison. Some of these guys just take better care of themselves, and train year round. Makes a huge difference as you get older.

35. There is no way dude is playing 7+ years. Give me a break.
    ——————-
    Who’s saying 7+ years? Even Brady (according to Krafty Bob) stopped short of that at “6 or 7 years”.

36. This whole idea is crazy. Brady is the best of all time but he has 2 years left at best, thinking he can go 6-7 more years is delusional. He is already beating the odds playing better at his current age then any QB ever, but he’s not this mythical super hero that some make him out to be.

37. raylewisandhisteeth says:
    Mar 27, 2017 4:12 PM
    Anyone could play as long as him in the AFC East.

—————

Not sure who you really cheer for, but the Ravens, who are considered to be a good team playing in a tough division have only won 73% of their games against Miami, NYJ and Buffalo combined since 2001.

Patriots overall record against the AFC North in that time is 77%.

38. Well, now that Tammy’s Stolen Jersey Revenge Tour is over, she had to up with something to stay in the spot light. Good job! Next month, “How I Broke a Nail and Still Played in the SB!”

PS: Jerrah wants to mate with her. Paid for pressers only!

39. Will that be in the HoveRound league? Perhaps Bert Favre would be interested as well. They’re both delusional.

40. niners816 says:

—————————————————————–
    He’s the LOAT. And remember when the 49ers won something in 21st century? Me either…

At least you’ll be 50% better in 2017. Sadly, that means 3-13.

41. If he continues to avoid major injury – why not?

He’s in great shape and continues to play at a high level so more power to him.

42. TB has about 2yrs tops, and I am being generous, Manning’s drop-off was quick, Farve’s drop-off was quick, and so to shall Mr. TB…..

43. I would feel same way if I was uninjured, healthy, and sporting a latest championship ring.

But when Father Time finally comes knocking, he knock you down.

Take Tiger Woods – who was the greatest in 2008, and despite his personal blow-up in 2009 it took many years and surgeries for both him and the world to realize Father Time had pulled chair out from under him. And thats playing golf.

Worst thing that could happen to Brady is him not taking the hint, and turning into self-denying Michael Jordan Wizards Edition making a fool of himself before our very eyes.

44. It is going to be so funny watching the haters feed more coal into Brady’s boilers to help him shatter every conceivable record that he doesn’t already own. Still haven’t learned a thing.

45. That would suck for Pats fans because they will move on within’ that timeframe. If he does, expect Brady in another uniform within 3 of those years.

46. logicalvoicesays says:
    Mar 27, 2017 4:07 PM

Destroyed his cell phone for no reason at all.
    Cheater.
    ————————————————————-

The telephone was already made irrelevant.

But that didn’t stop the NFL from permanently duping gullible people with the sensational use of the word “destroyed” in the form of an orchestrated media saturation campaign.

The NFL already had the 2 telephones that were owned by the Patriots and were used by the 2 equipment guys. It appear that duped people believe that one phone is not enough to see all the messages that were exchanged between two phones.

As an added bonus, the NFL also had the log information that Tom Brady provided. Which means that the NFL already had 2 sources to see all information related to conversations with the equipment guys.

Plus the NFL is not law enforcement and doesn’t have the right to see a personal telephone. Fools must have also assumed that the NFL could search his house with a film crew tagging along if they wanted to.

A phone that is never going to be examined regardless of its condition is irrelevant. He’s rich enough to afford a new one. that’s a reason to wipe the replaced phone.

Any idea when the NFL plans on releasing the PSI information from the 2015 season? You know, the information that Goodell is keeping secret because it shows that Brady didn’t cheat.

47. Then there is zero reason to keep Jimmy G. 6-7 more years with Brady starting.
    Days of keeping players like Steve Young in reserve while having a Joe Montana starting is a waste of Cap $. Trade Jimmy to the Browns this draft or what, pay Jimmy a $14-18mil/yr contract next year for the next 5 yrs?

48. It is going to be so funny watching the haters feed more coal into Brady’s boilers to help him shatter every conceivable record that he doesn’t already own. Still haven’t learned a thing.
    ——————–

He won’t be doing it in a Pats uniform. I actually want to see that to see how great Brady truly is. We know Peyton is great. He took a completely different franchise to the Superbowl twice. Lets see if Brady can do it without Belichick.

49. When ever he gets caught with the hgh he will fall from grace. I’m not a hater of tom Brady great story and great career and I like Payton but as soon as he got caught he went straight down hill and covered it up with a retirement lol but the NFL does protect the QB more than any other position so definitely two more years in less people start to touch him it could be sooner

50. When ever he gets caught with the hgh he will fall from grace. I’m not a hater of tom Brady great story and great career and I like Payton but as soon as he got caught he went straight down hill and covered it up with a retirement lol but the NFL does protect the QB more than any other position so 2 more years

51. cowboylover says:
    Mar 27, 2017 6:03 PM
    And I’m going to join the circus.
    ___________________________

As a cowboys fan aren’t you pretty much there already?

52. This is cool, but I’m definitely in favor of keeping that Garoppolo insurance policy around.

Also, I remember one of those bio shows on Belichick when he said “you don’t have to worry about me doing a Marv Levy, coaching in my 70’s”.

Maybe he did a rethink on that one. It’s hard to predict the future.

53. bigbadbills says:
    Mar 27, 2017 4:55 PM
    Flash1287 says:
    Mar 27, 2017 4:36 PM
    GOAT

Suck it CRYBABIES youhave no argument

#5xchamp

*******************************************************

—————————

There is no joke. You missed the 5x champ part. Nobody is laughing about that. And that fifth one came after the NFL tried to bring him down to appease the other owners that think the Patriots are why they cant put fans in seats.

And of course there is crying, it shows up everytime there are comments open on a Patriots article. Yours for instance.

The Patriots have been winning for so long that a lot of their fans werent born yet when it started, those fans have a good excuse for not coming sooner than that.

54. steelcurtainn says:
    Mar 27, 2017 5:35 PM
    6 time superbowl champs and Top of the mountain in the NFL. The Steelers! Enough Said

Not for long.

Brady and Brees will break Peyton Manning’s yardage record in a few years, but only one of them has a chance to secure 2 more rings, and you know who that is.

I think 3 years and that’s about as good as you could hope for. If he wants to play a few more and some other team will let him, that will be interesting if and when it happens. I don’t think he’d go that route though.

55. Tip my cap to the guy but he should start considering a life after football. I’m certain that he will be able to play for many years, but his body simply won’t heal as it has done in the past. He has a beautiful family and a celebrity future should he choose it.

All it takes is one no-name rookie trying to make a name for himself and Brady’s on crutches for the rest of his life.

56. kemp13 says:
    Mar 27, 2017 4:52 PM
    Brady’s been seriously lucky in terms of his health. All it takes is one injury to begin a very fast downward spiral.

—————

Brady is the first to admit that but if you read about his training regimen and diet you realize it’s not just luck. He trains for durability first. As Edelman says, sometimes availability is more important than ability.

57. I plan to hit the Lotto, too, but that aint happen’ either. The odds are better that I hit the Lotto than Brady playing 6 or 7 more years.
    The only way Brady plays 6 or 7 more years is if he takes up holding for the place kicker.

58. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Mar 27, 2017 4:08 PM
    With Italian, Brazilian, and other exotic HGH it is possible but not probable.

——-

He could play two more seasons and out last the next four Jets’ starting QBs

59. All he has to do is throw 5-15 yards downfield and manage the game, something he has done extremely well his entire career.

You can do that forever – especially if you wife is a model who has a career in staying young.

60. Ah, what’s left unsaid!

Don’t forget you are dealing with the NE Patriots. They already have answers to questions none of us have even thought about yet.

I predict we will see the introduction of situational football quarterbacks under Belichick. Not a first string and back up as is currently the norm. But a primary and a secondary depending on the situation.

The stars are aligned for such a role. Whether it’s on a down by down basis as is currently the norm for a lot of positions or game by game depending on the strengths of a particular opposing defence.

Money won’t be an issue. At least not for the Patriots. Not with Brady.

Watch for it. It’s coming.

61. TB12 retire

I see many comments saying 2-3 years tops and one or two mention cte (from head injury)

I see no logic in these comments
    People age at different rates and TB follows a strict regimine to help prolong the aging.
    His stats and play appearance have been his best the past 2 years. Like scotch, he has gotten better after 12 years. He also plays smarter as he gets older.
    Another thing is that with the newer rules to protect the games most valuable position, head injuries occur much less often. He is much more likely to get his shoulder drilled into the turf as happened to Luck and other QB’s.
    And, on the shoulder subject. He gets less wear and tear due to what some criticize as the dink and dunk offense.
    This is just plain smart coaching by BB and Dungy. By hustling to the LOS and slowely moving the chains with short completions and runs, the defense gets gassed later in the game. As BB and TB12 predicted pre game, the Falcons were gassed halfway through the 3rd Q. Now, Manning did alot of dinking and dunking and Dungy used the hurry up offense more than the Pats, but no one criticized them.
    Also, even when Brady play does decline, he could play for years and what ever team has him, they would sell out seats for years.

I can picture the conversations in the stands,

Father: Son, do you see #12 behind the offensive line?
    Son: Is that Tom Brady daddy?
    Father: Yes it is, son. You are watching the greatest and most winningest QB of ALL TIME. Why, he broke more records than any other player even before he won his 5th SuperBowl. It took the steelers 2QB’s, 3 coaches and 2 millenniums to get their 6. Tom and Coach Belichick got their 5 together in less than 20 years. And since then they accomplished A, B, and C. I doubt there will ever be a coach/QB combination that will ever come close.
    Son: Wow, dad. Can we come back next year and see him play again?
    Father: If we are lucky son. If we are lucky!

62. hehateme2 says:
    Mar 27, 2017 5:53 PM
    I see that delusion starts right art the top of this franchise.
    #sheepleofNE

————-

I can say with confidence that the Patriots have the least delusional franchise and fan base in the league at the moment.

63. We will never see the likes of a Tom Brady again. He is not made like you or myself. You speak about Father Time catching up with him. I would put all the money in the world that if he doesn’t get injured, in 2000 days he will still be one of the best QBs in the NFL. Did you watch the same SB that I did this February? If you are in your 30s or 40s and have stopped playing sports, please don’t speak as if you know when TB will be washed up. And he will not need PEDs. Wake up and realize the guy ages as a far slower rate than 99.99% than every other human on this planet. 6-7 yrs? Don’t be such a fool to bet against him.

64. Remember when Jerry Jones said Romo would play for the Cowboys five more years? He and Bob have shared a few too many scotches.

BTW, it was the next preseason when Romo broke his back. Kraft just put the hex on Brady.

41 is the cliff. I hope Brady does play seven more years for NE, because six of them will be bad.

65. I believe it. Why not? Not QB has ever had one of the best years of their career at age 39 but TB did. No other QB has been to 7 SB’s and won 5 but TB has. Has had one significant injury and that was 9 years ago and last several hasn’t even been dinged up. Dude is progressing, not regressing. 5 more years minimum. Trade Garappolo and get some good picks!

66. superpatriotsfan says:
    Mar 28, 2017 10:12 AM

6-7 more years? That’s a whole lot of cheating.
    ————————————————————
    Wrong again!
    Tom Brady plays for the Patriots not the cheating Dolphins.