Jerry Jones: Tony Romo has options, we’ll know by training camp

AP

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones suggested today that it could be four months before Tony Romo’s future is clear.

Asked today at the league meeting when he’ll know Romo’s status for the 2017 season, Jones said a decision would be made by training camp.

The option that was once seen as most likely was the Cowboys releasing Romo and letting him decide for himself what to do next. But it now seems that the Cowboys want to hold onto him, potentially to find a trading partner.

Jones also said he and Romo have spoken recently, that they’re doing great, and that Romo has “a lot of options.” That would seem to suggest that one option Romo is considering is retiring and moving on to a television job. That might be the option Jones likes best: Jones has always loved Romo and would probably rather see him retire a Cowboy.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Jerry Jones: Tony Romo has options, we’ll know by training camp”
  1. firstdownbrowns says: Mar 28, 2017 8:09 PM

who in there right mind would trade for that contract ? and Jones knows this.

2. abfox112 says: Mar 28, 2017 8:09 PM

Here’s a scenario. I enjoy my job. I’m pretty good at it. Not Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady good, but at least Romo good. My owner likes me, and doesn’t want to see me go. My contract says I can’t compete for another team without their approval (in a nutshell). Accrued annually, Romo will make what I make in a year, in 2 days. Go play golf and stop crying. If I made what he made last year, I’d retire and never step foot in my city again. ✌🏻

3. chingustight says: Mar 28, 2017 8:10 PM

just release his ass already, need something in this downtime of the nfl, raiders sign marshawn already also, quit dragging crap out………nfl

4. harrisonhits2 says: Mar 28, 2017 8:19 PM

“Jones said a decision would be made by training camp”

And “by training camp” he means if they don’t have a trading partner by the time camp opens, it will be
    “oh I meant by the end of training camp” as they wait to see whose QB gets injured in the preseason if any.

5. jacktatum32 says: Mar 28, 2017 8:23 PM

what are the salary cap implications to the Cowboys if Romo retired versus being released?

6. primetime2123 says: Mar 28, 2017 8:25 PM

Romo wants to play..he is not retiring

7. gmen5280 says: Mar 28, 2017 8:25 PM

Only another 4 months of the Romo hostage saga. Well that’s until Jerry changes him mind, again.

8. nmills001 says: Mar 28, 2017 8:26 PM

Ton Romo doesn’t have options. He’s under contract with no say. Jerry Jones is the one with options.

9. oldbrowndawg says: Mar 28, 2017 8:29 PM

The reason this is dragging on and on is that if Dallas waits until after June 1st to release Romo, it will save the team over $9MM in “dead money” and save them more in cap space. That’s what this delay’s all about — nothing more and nothing less.

10. florio4president says: Mar 28, 2017 8:30 PM

“who in there right mind would trade for that contract ? and Jones knows this.” –

I wish you all would realize any existing contract in place can and would be renegotiated by the trading team prior to finalizing the trade….

11. robertrvd25 says: Mar 28, 2017 8:31 PM

The patriots are doing the same thing with Jimmy G. Wait until a contender or team who thinks they be competitive with the final piece ie Romo, Garropollo, cutler. Comes along. Let’s not forget that if Dak goes down they have a shoe in at QB. Its kind of nice to see the cowboys starting to make wise decisions.

12. ninerfan81 says: Mar 28, 2017 8:42 PM

Tony Romo, meet the real Jerry Jones lol…you’re property too! You allowed yourself to think you guys were friends. Wrong.

13. mousietongue says: Mar 28, 2017 8:42 PM

I’m sure the quarterback room will be just fine with Romo refusing to talk to the head coach. C’mon man! Just release him already! You’re not getting a draft pick for an often injured, overpaid (at this point) player. Quit trying to squeeze a nickle out of this deal and move on…..

14. bondlake says: Mar 28, 2017 8:51 PM

Jones is a selfish SOB.

15. rmaxmaicon says: Mar 28, 2017 8:52 PM

COWBOYS are gearing up for a SB run. I’m lovin’ the moves

16. polapea says: Mar 28, 2017 8:56 PM

Romo should get hurt working out and put the Boys on the hook for his entire salary.

That would be perfect karma for Skeletor going back on his word.

17. 12brichandfamous says: Mar 28, 2017 9:08 PM

If you love something, set it free. If it loves you, it will come back.

18. broncoschick says: Mar 28, 2017 9:16 PM

Wow, the Jones are doing such a serious disservice to Romo. What happened to the ‘do right’? Don’t think this is because I want him in Denver, am happy to see what Trevor can do when he’s healthy! But damn, this so doesn’t feel right to me. Let.him.go.

19. mosesthejuggernaut says: Mar 28, 2017 9:21 PM

Jerry being elegant as always. I bet Romo introduces him when he is enshrined into Canton this summer, just to “Do right by Him”. All Class. Don’t know where he ends up, and never thought much of him really, but Romo will beat Dallas on a large stage very soon, and Jerruh will be the reason.

20. ryansbachelorparty says: Mar 28, 2017 9:23 PM

Wow. After telling him they’d release him to actually let him try and find a team, they’re going to string him along until TRAINING CAMP????

Doin’ him dirrrrrrty.

21. natitownhustler says: Mar 28, 2017 9:31 PM

Im waiting for Romo to show up at the cowboys training facility to work out, re-injure himself (back) and then collect his full pay from the cowboys for the season for holding a clipboard once again… lmao

22. dtroxallday says: Mar 28, 2017 9:33 PM

abfox112 says:
    Mar 28, 2017 8:09 PM

OR, you might not just want to simply roll over and give up on life. You might want to actually keep doing what you love in life. You might still show some drive and desire.

Then again, you might not.

23. denverscott says: Mar 28, 2017 9:37 PM

Here’s a thought, why don’t you just do what you told him you were going to do?

24. teammom69 says: Mar 28, 2017 9:41 PM

if Jerry says it, believe the opposite.

25. slippery59 says: Mar 28, 2017 9:42 PM

oldbrowndawg says:
    Mar 28, 2017 8:29 PM
    ———————————————————————They can release him now with a June 1st designation.

26. weber9152000 says: Mar 28, 2017 9:56 PM

I`d hold onto Romo until at lease after the draft. If a team does not get their man in the draft, then they would have the option on training for Romo.

It`s all business nothing more nothing less. Either way I believe Dallas will end up cutting Romo June 1st and eating a huge cap hit but why not wait to cut him and see what happens. We have all seen stranger things happen.

27. seals1 says: Mar 28, 2017 10:02 PM

Oh boo hoo Jerry wants to keep an asset. This is only business and this just in, it’s a business. Who’s says he isn’t the best qb in Dallas. Health.

Worse comes to worse a than gives a 1 and 4 one week before season because Rogers blew his knee praising himself.

28. QB Film Room says: Mar 28, 2017 10:03 PM

to ever expect jerry jones to do the right thing is really funny. He is a white collar scum and doing this is in his DNA. Romo on the hand is a legitimately good human being being burned by the devil. #PearlyGates

29. throwingmyredflag says: Mar 28, 2017 10:51 PM

Jerry is clearly one of those “my word is stronger than oak” guys.

30. htown1035 says: Mar 28, 2017 10:54 PM

It won’t get past April 17th.

31. waltgarrisonblog says: Mar 28, 2017 11:19 PM

Sooo Romo makes lot of money now and in the future.

So Jones is a selfish SOB to try to save his team 9 mill in dead space.

Maybe get something….maybe very little in trade….

But Jones should say….to show I’m not a selfish SOB…..
    And have a good heart … I’m going to relese you…. it will cost me and 9 mill, maybe some other options…..and maybe a way to help the team…..
    But dangit …. never would Inwant to be a selfish SOB….

By the way Tony…. how you doing financially …need a little help?

I love Romo…. bit come on!!! He will be alright. Probably has not problem with waiting….dude knows it is a highly lucative business…and he be ok!

32. dudeicle says: Mar 28, 2017 11:37 PM

Let him twist in the wind a few more months…. nice

33. gergie1957 says: Mar 29, 2017 12:45 AM

Jerry doesn’t want to see Tony in Houston .

34. ringors07 says: Mar 29, 2017 12:59 AM

This isn’t hard to understand. If the Cowboys trade Romo or he retires the Cowboys are off the hook for his huge salary. That is why they are sitting rt. now. Houston is the silly one if they wait to Romo is release then they have to compete against Denver, where if they trade for him he is theirs. Jones is better off just keeping Romo as a grossly overpaid back-up but the best back-up in the league than to release him and eat 80% of his salary for nothing. Don’t be surprised if Romo is still a Cowboy next year.

35. cowboyinpawleys says: Mar 29, 2017 7:12 AM

Message from JJ to the Texans: “He, I’m willing to wait till training camp to release Tony, You need to offer me something if you want him for your off season program. I still say he’s gone before the OTA’s in May.

36. drewfl says: Mar 29, 2017 7:58 AM

oldbrowndawg says:
    Mar 28, 2017 8:29 PM

That actually has nothing to do with anything because if it were, the Cowboys would cut him right now and designate him a post June-1st cut.

IMO, I still think deep down inside Jerry Jones wants Romo on the squad and believes he gives him the team the best shot at competing for a Superbowl. Anything said otherwise was lip service.

37. cowboysdude says: Mar 29, 2017 8:02 AM

Jones is constantly trying to recreate the 90’s which he can’t because he’s missing the 1st key ingredient…a REAL HC. Second he has NO idea what he’s doing.

The other thing that comes to mind is that all he really cares about is $$$$$$$. Been watching this team for 40 years and honestly fans need to wake up.

If the last 20 years hasn’t waken you up… nothing will.

38. maverick2560 says: Mar 29, 2017 8:59 AM

Jerry Jones is a selfish SOB…..what about Romo who has been treated
    like a son by the Jones family. Romo used his power and leverage whenever he could over the head coaches. Who was the selfish
    SOB in the last contract negotiation …Romo held the Cowboys up
    for all he could get, which is his prerogative. Now it is the Cowboys
    prerogative to try to get value for a Top 10 starting QB. When the
    Patriots do it….fans declare Belichick a genius.

39. michaelf9123 says: Apr 1, 2017 10:18 AM

Maybe Jerry is doing the right thing by Romo.
    If Romo is traded he will Make 14 mil.
    If Romo is let go how much do you think he would be paid by Houston, Denver or unknown team? From a negotiation point 14 mil would be a good starting place for Romo’s Camp.
    All along however I have heard the 14 mil is the going cost of a Starting QB in this league. The current contract would allow the team to cut Romo after the first Year. A Prove it deal.
    Last thought on 14. Mil. Who has 14 Salary Cap Space? Houston? Denver? So they may need to sign Romo to a multi year deal to spread the Cap Hit. Something like this would all ready need to be agreed on in principal by Romo and Said Team. Unless on Draft Day. Unkown Team swoops in With Cap $ to Spend. (Jags Maybe?)