Adam Gase wants a more aggressive Ryan Tannehill in 2017

AP

Dolphins coach Adam Gase doesn’t want quarterback Ryan Tannehill worrying about making mistakes.

Gase said on PFT Live that his No. 1 priority for Tannehill in 2017 is to be willing to take chances, both with his arm and with his legs, if that’s what he has to do to make plays.

“Just be more aggressive,” Gase said. “I really want him to feel comfortable that his decision is going to be right. If he feels like something is not really happening the way he wants, escape from the pocket and not hesitate and worry about, Did I miss something? He’s a perfectionist so he wants to be able to stand back there and go through his progression, go one to two to his checkdown. Guys that have athletic ability, that can run, want to prove they can be a great pocket passer. All I care about is getting the first down and scoring points.”

Tannehill’s completion percentage was a career-high 67.1 percent in his first year in Gase’s offense, but Gase may be willing to see that number go down a little bit if it means Tannehill is taking more chances and making more plays downfield.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
28 Responses to “Adam Gase wants a more aggressive Ryan Tannehill in 2017”
  1. finnymcphin says: Mar 29, 2017 7:53 AM

In Gase we trust. It’s past time to put aside our Thill doubts, if he is good enough for Adam he is good enough for us.

Fins Up!

2. ebr362 says: Mar 29, 2017 8:11 AM

I hope T-Hills injury in 2016 doesn’t end up hampering this kids career. He looks like he finally has a coach that believes in him and it started to show dividends. His play was becoming more aggressive, his downfield throws were on the money and Gase has appeared to be checking off one by one the flaws that were keeping RT17 from taking the next step that this team so desperately needs. If he’s healthy this year we should really see just how good he can be. #Finsup

3. 6ball says: Mar 29, 2017 8:22 AM

The Dolphins will be hard pressed to make a return visit to the playoffs. The AFC East drew the AFC West and NFC South as their opponents this season. Both of those divisions are highly competitive and most have skilled QBs.

4. lightofkolob says: Mar 29, 2017 8:28 AM

Interception

5. ebr362 says: Mar 29, 2017 8:37 AM

Joe Philbin stunted this kids growth in the worst way. He beat it into RT17s head not to make mistakes and check down so much that he didn’t build the go for the throat mentality a successful qb must have. Hopefully Gase and his QB whispering can bring that out in him.

6. phinatic29 says: Mar 29, 2017 8:57 AM

Finally a good coaching staff for Tannehill to work with. He will continue to improve.

Meanwhile Brady is older than dirt. His days are numbered. I do not respect Brady. I don’t give him the GOAT title. There are 15 NFL QBs i would rather have on my roster right now. He wasn’t impressive coming out of Michigan and he still hasn’t impressed me a bit.

Any team that trades for Jimmy Garoppolo would be complete fools. It’s no different than the Romo situation. when Garropollo’s rookie contract runs out New England wont pay him and will be forced to let him walk.

NFL GMs – DO NOT TRADE FOR GAROPPOLO!!

7. phinatic1 says: Mar 29, 2017 9:11 AM

I’m a dolphin fan 40 years plus, it’s been a rough last decade to be a die hard fan, but this coach has been hitting all the right notes so far, we are on our way I feel…Fins up

8. cylondetector says: Mar 29, 2017 9:23 AM

Tannehill is a lot like Tyrod Taylor in how they approach the game. Love their checkdowns – they don’t want to be the reason their team lost even if it’s at the expense of being the reason they didn’t win.

9. dcee101 says: Mar 29, 2017 9:32 AM

Tannehill has all the athletic ability in the world, but his pocket instinct/presence has always been mediocre. If Gase can get him going the sky is the limit for Ryan.

10. ZULU Agency says: Mar 29, 2017 9:33 AM

and i want a better OLine

with the emerge of the run game and Ajyaj and before getting hurt Thill got a nice vertical game going….

Stills the Speedster
    Parker with his big play ability & big body
    Landry aka Mr 3rd down and in the Slot
    and for the first time Thill will have a TE that can get some seperation (hopefully)

the Offense hasnt looked as promised since #13
    that being said the guard/center play has to be better

11. RandyinRoxbury says: Mar 29, 2017 9:40 AM

Gase actually made Tannehill look like a real NFL QB in 2016, shocking!

12. igotgamenj says: Mar 29, 2017 9:41 AM

Ryan needs to start making more plays with his legs when he has the opportunities if the play brakes down or the receivers are covered take off ! He really just does not do it enough.

13. bjchit says: Mar 29, 2017 9:47 AM

Every time someone has tried to make Tannehill into a gun slinger it has failed miserably. He’s just a game manager who happens to have some athletic ability that allows him to run and throw the occasional deep ball. Just hope he goes through a season without getting someone killed, then sign or draft a real QB.

14. thechronicjoker says: Mar 29, 2017 9:55 AM

This is a make or break year for Tannehill.

15. nsawins says: Mar 29, 2017 10:46 AM

LOL. Ryan Tannehill is Drew Bledsoe with more mobility. The guy melts when the games are the biggest.

16. FinFan68 says: Mar 29, 2017 12:28 PM

ebr362 says:
    Mar 29, 2017 8:37 AM
    ~~~~~~~~
    ^^This.

Philbin’s philosophy has been shared by most Dolphins coaches over the last couple decades. I like that Gase is saying this stuff up front and publicly. He boosted Tannehill’s confidence last year by showing he believed in him.

Tannehill has poor pocket awareness and that is what Gase is addressing here. As stated 17 is a perfectionist. He is running the variables through his mind during the play. Option 1, open? Is the safety drifting? Etc., etc. He gets focused and concentrates too hard. The result has been a lack of awareness of other factors around him and pass rushers being right up on him before he realizes it. Similar to how you would tune out things when you are concentrating.

Gase is trying to change the thinking to reacting. Verify the pre-snap read, scan the field and take action. Move if necessary, buy time or pull it down and run.

I like Gase’s approach and I believe the Tannehill haters will slowly dissipate this season if he stays healthy.

17. magikskillz says: Mar 29, 2017 12:30 PM

“All I care about is getting the first down and scoring points.” ~ Adam Gase

Someone takes Gladiator to heart. Its not about being entertaining, its about getting the job done. As long as you are getting first downs and scoring points you are doing your job on offense. Being pretty is nice for the fans and fantasy sports but the results are more important than how they are reached.

18. RussianBreadMaker says: Mar 29, 2017 12:33 PM

The guy is a turd. We have all heard about what a s**t head he is to the backups in practice. I hope his career never returns from the current flatline.

19. FinFan68 says: Mar 29, 2017 12:34 PM

phinatic29 says:
    Mar 29, 2017 8:57 AM
    ~~~~~~~
    C’mon, man! I get the loyalty aspect but if you truly believe everything in that paragraph you just wrote I have to wonder what the heck you have been watching. I can’t stand the chowdah trolls whining about everything but Brady has earned respect, at least from me.

20. ab420420 says: Mar 29, 2017 12:45 PM

Gase actually made Tannehill look like a real NFL QB in 2016, shocking!

_____________________________

Tannehill had 19 TDs and 12 INTs in 13 games. He had 12 INTs in 16 games last season. At least he cut his sack total in half so the fans could quit blaming his high turnover rate on the OLine

21. finsphan says: Mar 29, 2017 12:52 PM

I love how the haters have died down over the past couple years on Tannehill. Yet all of the one’s who remain just keep regurgitating the same ol’ stuff.

It amazes me how Tannehill has been able to perform up to this point given the circumstances he has been in. Up until last year he has had no stability in the coaching staff, the worst o-line in the league by a long shot, bottom half defenses, poor play calling and up until Landry got there Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline were his two best receivers. Let that sink in.

This kid has had to put the team on his shoulders since he was drafted, and everyone knew he wasn’t ready and was a project coming out. He didn’t go to a perfect situation where he had the best defense and run game his whole career and all he had to do was not mess up. This kid should be praised just for not complaining about the trash situation he’s been in and I’m shocked that last year was his first significant injury despite the beatings he took year after year. He’s outplayed and beaten some of the best QB’s in the league. Brady, Big Ben, Luck, Wilson, Rivers, yet nobody mentions those games. No QB can do it all by themselves and up until last season, Tannehill was tasked to do just that. He’s not the best QB in the league, but I don’t see any other QB can carrying a terrible team to a Superbowl all by themselves.

22. nard100 says: Mar 29, 2017 1:20 PM

He’s a game manager that they are trying to make into a game breaker. Sounds like a recipe for getting hurt to be honest.

23. lbmclean says: Mar 29, 2017 2:20 PM

“hey Ryan we spent pocket change on our OG’s. now go out there on that thread of an ACL and be aggressive. that’d be great”

24. wannstache says: Mar 29, 2017 2:57 PM

It’s been 5 seasons and the guy has clearly shown he does not have what it takes to be elite, and having an elite QB is the ONLY way to win it all in today’s NFL. Use him as a stopgap for 2017 and then draft and/or trade for a young QB who has potential. I fear we may have a good coach on our hands and that Tannehill may get him fired.

25. finnymcphin says: Mar 29, 2017 3:06 PM

phinatic29 says:
    Mar 29, 2017 8:57 AM

***************************

As a long time Miami fan all I can do is apologize for Phins fans like this. Clearly the Patriots stranglehold on the division has deranged some of my compatriots and blinded them to reality. If what Brady has done over the course of his career doesn’t impress a football fan it’s because they spell it futbol. I could support the argument Brady isn’t the most gifted QB of the Super Bowl era, that was Marino imo, but he is easily the most impressive winner of it.

26. dolphins4life says: Mar 29, 2017 10:48 PM

I have a sneaky feeling that Tannehill might explode on the league next year. He got better as the season went on under his first competent head coach in the NFL I think being in the same system for two years in a row will greatly benefit him and we will all get to finally see the QB who we thought we drafted in the first round.

27. bjchit says: Mar 30, 2017 1:02 PM

^Every year I have heard that, and every year it doesn’t happen, and every year the deluded Tannehill fanboys hurl insults and promise me I’ll be eating my words next season.

28. justphinbaby says: Apr 3, 2017 3:37 PM

what were we talking about? I forgot because I was so over joyed by the announcement that DION JORDAN IS FINALLY GONE!!!!