CBS reportedly considering Tony Romo as “potential replacement” for Phil Simms

Getty Images

When it comes to playing football, Tony Romo currently has limited options. When it comes to broadcasting football, Tony Romo has two. And one of them could make him a major network’s No. 1 analyst, potentially.

Via Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, CBS is eyeing Romo as a “potential replacement” for Phil Simms. It’s unclear whether this means Romo would supplant Simms right out of the gates, or whether Romo would start at a lower rung and work his way up.

An immediate installment as the No. 1 guy could be overwhelming for Romo, given that CBS has the Thursday night package for the first half of the season. In his first year of learning how to call games, he’d be calling two per week.

Landing at the top of the CBS football food chain also could make it harder for Romo to pull a Roger Clemens and return to the field during the season, if an opportunity to play half a season for a contender would emerge with the bursting of a tendon or the shredding of a ligament.

Then there’s the question of whether Simms would be demoted to the No. 2 team — or whether CBS would simply throw eem overboard.

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
69 Responses to “CBS reportedly considering Tony Romo as “potential replacement” for Phil Simms”
  1. corduroy88 says: Mar 29, 2017 9:15 PM

“I could have made that throw!” could be his signature call.

2. cobrala2 says: Mar 29, 2017 9:17 PM

Nobody at CBS is on Team Dak.
    It’s a safe environment for Tony… he’ll thrive there.

3. buckybadger says: Mar 29, 2017 9:23 PM

Don’t have to print every rumor you see. I doubt that spot would even be discussed for Romo. He would be improvement, I don’t need to see a try out for that but I doubt CBS hates Phil, whom I was a big fan as a player, as bad as I do as an announcer.

4. charger383 says: Mar 29, 2017 9:25 PM

Getting rid of Simms makes watching much better!

5. yourmadre says: Mar 29, 2017 9:27 PM

Please let this happen. Simms is terrible, and while I’ve never heard Romo call a game (mainly because he hasn’t done it) he’s always been a great interview and he’s one of the few players who seems like he’d be great on TV.

6. gbbvan says: Mar 29, 2017 9:29 PM

I vote for overboard.

7. 1bigtex says: Mar 29, 2017 9:33 PM

The rotting corpse of Francisco Franco would be an improvement over Phil Simms

8. murphyslaw40 says: Mar 29, 2017 9:33 PM

Or, CBS views him as someone who could potentially one day replace Simms, and they’d like to sign him now before Fox does. Romo learns for a few years, makes it up to the B team, and when Simms hit the sunset, THEN Romo would be a “replacement” for Simms.

Mountain, meet molehill.

9. wedemboyz88 says: Mar 29, 2017 9:37 PM

Please let this happen!

10. niners816 says: Mar 29, 2017 9:37 PM

Phil Simms is the modern day John Madden with his ridiculous commentary. “That’s a good timeout by Denver because it stops the clock. “For it to be a forward pass it has to go…forward.” Madden is awesome though and Simms is just terrible. Plus, he stopped saying “Redskins”. Get him outta there.

11. thrifty says: Mar 29, 2017 9:39 PM

Simms needs to be replaced regardless of what Romo decides to do.

12. jjbsew says: Mar 29, 2017 9:40 PM

Tony Romo could only make that announcing team better. Phil Simms is the worst analyst there is. He consistently gets it wrong and then even sticks to his idiocy when the replays show him to be wrong.

13. bucfanforlife says: Mar 29, 2017 9:42 PM

that would suck simms is one of the better announcers

14. coltsreign says: Mar 29, 2017 9:44 PM

LET THIS BE TRUE!!!!

15. aliveguy24 says: Mar 29, 2017 9:44 PM

That sound when a mic is too close to a speaker is better than Simms.

16. htown1035 says: Mar 29, 2017 9:57 PM

When are we going to stop believing everything Rapoport reports? Guy is wrong more often than not.

17. sd5547 says: Mar 29, 2017 9:58 PM

So if your a quarterback who is afraid to be hit looks like you have a future as a broadcaster with CBS.

18. remizak says: Mar 29, 2017 10:03 PM

Are you telling me I might be able to start watching CBS games with the sound on?

19. tonebones says: Mar 29, 2017 10:05 PM

If I had Romo’s money and his golf game, I’d be golfing on Sundays.

20. JaminJake says: Mar 29, 2017 10:10 PM

Tony should retire. He’s messing with his back and the same area has been broken twice.

Manning couldn’t even get full dressed/undressed by himself anymore. There’s more to life than football

21. mrclutch5569 says: Mar 29, 2017 10:10 PM

Thank God for that. It will be a crime if I have to sit and listen to Phil Simms stutter and mispronounce players during another game

22. cheddarisbeddar says: Mar 29, 2017 10:15 PM

Phil Simms blows.

23. jbl429 says: Mar 29, 2017 10:27 PM

Do it Romo!!!

24. heeeeelzfan says: Mar 29, 2017 10:32 PM

He’ll fumble the mike.

25. lewsblues says: Mar 29, 2017 10:33 PM

has he already colored games before? why not let him get a season under his belt before we anoint him into the number 1 position …

26. dontstabmeray says: Mar 29, 2017 10:48 PM

I just got hit by a snowball, and I see the guy that threw it!

27. jamaltimore says: Mar 29, 2017 10:49 PM

Howard Cosell is smoking a cigar and laughing right about now.

28. ggreen657 says: Mar 29, 2017 10:50 PM

I’ll take Simms. He knows what it takes to win a Super Bowl.

29. wademaxwell1990 says: Mar 29, 2017 11:03 PM

Simms is the ONE OF the main reasons I can’t stand cbs broadcasts. Still would like to see Romo get a chance somewhere if he wants and is capable of playing still though.

30. clayjtitan66 says: Mar 29, 2017 11:05 PM

Anyone would be better than Sims.

31. skittlesareyum says: Mar 29, 2017 11:10 PM

Anything to get rid of Simms.

32. jermainewiggins says: Mar 29, 2017 11:11 PM

ANYONE but phil simms.

-nfl fans

33. finnymcphin says: Mar 29, 2017 11:15 PM

I don’t buy it. Even if they were dumb enough to make that kind of investment in Romo then throw him untried into a sink or swim scenario like that they wouldn’t leak it out through Rapoport.

34. darcrequiem says: Mar 29, 2017 11:49 PM

I guess Tony better practice saying “Well, Jeeeem”

35. whispersd says: Mar 29, 2017 11:54 PM

We were facing a crisis of NFC East under-representation among network color men. So now we may have two networks featuring ex-Cowboy QBs as color men.

Yay diversity!

Here’s an idea: instead of hiring an ex-jock to do color, how about having somebody who knows the game and how to do color commentary? I’m sure there are plenty of people like that out there.

36. concord148 says: Mar 30, 2017 12:15 AM

Phil Simms was not very good as a sport caster so CBS wants to hire Romo with no broadcasting experience. Your famous, just come on down and start talking. Is that it. — Wake me up 30 seconds before kickoff, please.

37. floridaslonechargersfan says: Mar 30, 2017 12:15 AM

In before everyone comes to say the cliche thing of “They suck!” (Simms does).

38. postintelligence says: Mar 30, 2017 12:18 AM

Replace Phil Simms? Say it ain’t so!

Just kidding.

39. seatownballers says: Mar 30, 2017 12:27 AM

Just take it Tony. You have made big money, family gets to stay in Dallas, and you keep what’s left of your health. Still in football and respected.

40. midnightcusk says: Mar 30, 2017 12:30 AM

At this point CBS could sit Simms in front of some cartoons and give him a big spoon to speak into and he wouldn’t know the difference.

41. realtruthteller100 says: Mar 30, 2017 12:32 AM

what a joke. phil sims is a national treaure and deserves to keep his job until he sees fit. tony romeo should find a qb job before trying to take the job of a hard working american like phil. kinda sad that there is so little work available that this is what this country has come to.

42. natureboy123 says: Mar 30, 2017 12:42 AM

I for one hope they don’t throw eem overboard. I’ve always liked eem.

43. raidernation707 says: Mar 30, 2017 12:50 AM

Wow , Phil Simms has been the #1 CBS broadcaster for quite a while, can’t believe CBS would throw him under the bus like this.. and besides what’s so great about Romo broadcasting? Would he draw higher ratings ?

44. lionglass says: Mar 30, 2017 12:50 AM

As long as Simms get replaced pronto, I’ll be happy with whoever they replace him with….

45. tonyzendejas says: Mar 30, 2017 12:50 AM

“You look at this guy and you think, wow, heckuva football player.”

– Phil Simms, 200 times per game

I have grown to tolerate Phil mostly because I like watching TV on Sundays in the fall, but goodness. He is 100% folksy, shucksy, gee whizzed and 0% insightful/interesting.

46. retiredrichardsandberg says: Mar 30, 2017 12:55 AM

Simms has always been grating. Romo might be a nice change…

47. angelogiaquinto18 says: Mar 30, 2017 12:57 AM

Simms was really good in the late nineties and early 2000’s….really gone downhill the past 6-7 years

48. shamalamadingblog says: Mar 30, 2017 1:55 AM

Phil Simms is the GOAT. You leave my boy alone Tony!

49. crotchpunch says: Mar 30, 2017 2:11 AM

“Potential replacement,” in this case, being synonymous with “definite upgrade.”

50. ws3rd says: Mar 30, 2017 2:37 AM

I am a lifelong NYG fan. Phil Simms was never more than average as a color guy. NY athletes get jobs ahead of all others. Look at the Tiki Barber FAIL. That said, Troy Aikman runs circles around Simms. Romo could be good too. Networks hang on to talent too long. Switch it up. Only guys that deserve to outlast generation cycles are/were: Pat Summerall, John Madden, Al Michaels and Cris Collingsworth. Joe Buck is hated but I don’t know why. He is solid. Not Summerall, but not bad.

51. wolfman55h says: Mar 30, 2017 2:39 AM

I’d rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard than Sims. He is the poster boy for DULL.

52. Oakland_LosAngeles_Oakland_LasVegasRaiders says: Mar 30, 2017 3:01 AM

Phil is the best in the business

53. stipez says: Mar 30, 2017 3:02 AM

When attempting to pull a Clemens, please watch your butt.

54. trollaikman8 says: Mar 30, 2017 3:27 AM

JD from the Howard Stern show would be a decent replacement of that marble mouth.

55. lobzila says: Mar 30, 2017 3:36 AM

Please do this! A trained nutless monkey has more personality than Phil Simms.

56. rickypoo1969 says: Mar 30, 2017 3:38 AM

Phil Simms could be replaced by a cricket! I have no idea why this idiot is still on the air. Anything could replace him. A potato. A wet paper bag. A barking dog. A two year old. Point being Romo wouldn’t have to say a word during a television broadcast and he’d be light years better than Simms. In fact I’d donate money towards Romo’s broadcasting salary just to never hear Simms voice on ANY broadcast again. And that’s coming from an Eagles fan.

57. tatermitts99 says: Mar 30, 2017 4:08 AM

Ace of Base on loop would be a worthy upgrade of Phil Simms.

58. cardinealsfan20 says: Mar 30, 2017 5:11 AM

Please let this happen. America automatically gets smarter not having to listen to Simms.

59. johnny07022 says: Mar 30, 2017 6:33 AM

Phil Simms needs to go, end of story.

60. tommyribs says: Mar 30, 2017 6:39 AM

Wow, a lot of hate towards Phil Simms.

I don’t watch a lot of AFC games, but I think Phil does a great job.

But, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

61. abninf says: Mar 30, 2017 7:50 AM

Simms can go get a job as a social justice warrior. Romo won’t refuse to call all of the teams by their name, as any professional would do.

62. jimnh1 says: Mar 30, 2017 8:26 AM

Phil Simms does an excellent job. Why would they ever do that. Another rumor that is fake news.

63. ragnarthemagnificent says: Mar 30, 2017 8:31 AM

CBS is the starch on the shirt.

64. TheDPR says: Mar 30, 2017 8:42 AM

I don’t know how or why Simms is that network’s #1 color commentator as it is. Every time I switch to a small market game, they’ve got a better crew than Nantz/Simms. So yeah, I’d definitely like to see Simms replaced. That said, why should a rookie commentator be plugged into the network’s #1 spot when there are better, experienced guys already working the booth?

65. jpaq68 says: Mar 30, 2017 9:31 AM

Phil Simms putting Joe Theismann in his place on his very first day as an analyst on ESPN was one of the greatest moments in the history of live television

66. scrp2 says: Mar 30, 2017 9:51 AM

The NFL is offering CBS Tony Romo to make up for the lopsided TV contract and plummeting ratings.

67. tonyzendejas says: Mar 30, 2017 9:56 AM

Exactly. Ian Eagle/Dan Fouts and Gumbel/Trent Green are ten times better at calling games than Nantz/Simms.

68. shogunassasin30 says: Mar 30, 2017 2:48 PM

These comments – hilarious. Fans are never EVER happy. There isn’t one announcer that people like, and all of these arm chair Quarterback dorks think they can do better than people who have been intimately involved with the game for decades.

69. tomhipps says: Mar 31, 2017 2:14 PM

I don’t understand all the hating on Simms, but props to Florio for the funniest line I’ve read in a long time: “… throw eem overboard.” If there is one thing about Simms that was weird, and bugged me a bit, it’s his pronunciation of “him” as “eem”. I thought me and my buddy were the only ones who noticed it and have always laughed about it/got slightly irritated by it. Thanks for today’s laugh, Mike! (I forwarded it to my buddy:)