Reports: Martavis Bryant’s reinstatement a matter of time

Getty Images

It was around this time last year Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said Martavis Bryant stood at a “crossroads of his professional life.”

Soon, it appears Bryant will resume that life.

The Steelers wide receiver, who was suspended for all of 2016 after repeated violations of the NFL’s substance-abuse policy, is headed for reinstatement. There were multiple Wednesday reports to that effect anyway, as the Beaver County Times cited a source who called his NFL return “imminent.”

The Houston Chronicle‘s Aaron Wilson later reported that, while Bryant has yet to be reinstated, the result is expected “eventually.”

So, it’s a matter of time.

This had been the expectation. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin addressed his status Tuesday when meeting with reporters at an NFL owner meeting in Phoenix.

“We’re hopeful,” Tomlin said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “Martavis is a good guy. We wish him nothing but the best. But the train moves on and we’ve been on it for 12 months. Hopefully, he’ll get on.”

Despite a four-game suspension, Bryant caught 50 passes for 765 yards and six touchdowns in 2015 .He averaged 21.1 yards on 26 receptions, including eight touchdowns, in 2014 as a rookie fourth-round pick from Clemson.

In January, while his application for reinstatement was being prepared, Bryant’s agent characterized him as “clean” and “a new person.”

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Reports: Martavis Bryant’s reinstatement a matter of time”
  1. guitarmaninks says: Mar 29, 2017 6:23 PM

Well, I wish him luck and for those still suspended, stay out of the news. I don’t care what team they play for I hate to see anyone blow such a rare opportunity.

2. finnymcphin says: Mar 29, 2017 6:32 PM

He’s a Stealer, that makes ‘matter of time’ and imminent mean the same thing

3. idiedpretty says: Mar 29, 2017 6:36 PM

Meanwhile, upon hearing this news, the Raiders Aldon Smith just fired up his ten foot water bong.

4. oleboy2017 says: Mar 29, 2017 7:30 PM

I think it is a you know what shame the NFL hasn’t ruled on Aldon Smith.

5. peytonwantsaflag says: Mar 29, 2017 7:58 PM

I’m so glad to hear this, it’s so much more fun having him in the league waiting for him to get suspended than him being out if the league waiting for him to get reinstated

6. whenwilliteverend says: Mar 29, 2017 8:41 PM

He’ll get reinstated then suspended again indefinitely before the season starts. He just can’t help himself and hasn’t learned from Josh Gordon and Aldon Smith. He better get used to asking people how they want their burgers when he’s working at McDonalds.

7. thesteelhurtin says: Mar 29, 2017 8:47 PM

Those comparing him to Aldon Smith are a little off base. Bryant has stayed out of trouble and all the news of him has been nothing but positive. He followed the NFLs guidelines to a T.

8. 13arod says: Mar 29, 2017 8:59 PM

whenwilliteverend So getting in trouble once means you can’t control yourself? Lol.

9. clemsonalum says: Mar 29, 2017 9:45 PM

Clemson Graduate here and diehard Clemson Football fan. I do wish Martavis Bryant the very best on his road to recovery and I hope he makes it. As Mike Tomlin says he’s a good guy. In his younger years Tay had a reputation that was not so flattering and now that he has seen what so easily can be taken away, hopefully he gets it because I like watching him play. A damn talent he is.

10. realtruthteller100 says: Mar 30, 2017 12:35 AM

if i see ‘martavis briant’ and ‘time’ in the same sentence it better say hes gonna be doing hard time. millions of people are locked up for drug crimes in this country every year. this guy shouldnt be above the law. he should have to share a cell with levon bell IMO.

11. holeinone09 says: Mar 30, 2017 7:17 AM

Martavis has apparently kept himself out of trouble during his suspension, and deserves to be reinstated. If he can remain out of trouble, he should be able to get back to having dominating performances on the field. It will be impossible to stop AB, Bell and him at the same time.

12. tonebones says: Mar 30, 2017 7:20 AM

I was thinking about this guy when the Steelers were losing in the playoffs, which was largely the result of their WR’s inability to make plays. I think the Steelers could have possibly added another ring if Bryant was around last year. His loss was devastating. Everything else was clicking. Those other WRs couldn’t make the plays that Bryant had been making. The throws were there.

13. johnc44 says: Mar 30, 2017 8:37 AM

13arod says:
    Mar 29, 2017 8:59 PM

—————————————————-
    So getting suspended first 4 games in 2015 and all of 2016 is one time?
    whenwilltalkwithoutknowingeverend? LOL

14. dutchschafer says: Mar 30, 2017 8:39 AM

Grand Openin, Grand Closin.

15. tomthebombtracy says: Mar 30, 2017 8:47 AM

There’s a reason he dropped like a boulder in a pond at the draft, a first or worst second round talent but with a past that may have predicted this.

That said, Godspeed to Martavis, that he can stay on the straight pass and cash in on talent that could set him for life.

16. phinatic29 says: Mar 30, 2017 9:24 AM

He served his suspension. Re-instate him immediately Goodell you wretched swine!!

I am sick and tired of the NFL’s Gestapo-like tactics.

17. whenwilliteverend says: Mar 30, 2017 9:28 AM

13arod says:
    Mar 29, 2017 8:59 PM

Did you read the article?

The Steelers wide receiver, who was suspended for all of 2016 after repeated violations of the NFL’s substance-abuse policy

18. whenwilliteverend says: Mar 30, 2017 9:37 AM

Here’s what Ben had to say about him…

“We talked a lot, every day during his suspension we talked. And then, when [the second suspension] happened, we talked, as soon as the news broke I kind of asked him what happened. He said some things that were just kind of disappointing.”

Roethlisberger said Bryant lied to him, both before the suspension was announced and after.

“I just think the approach, the denial of everything. Looking me in my eye and denying everything, it’s tough. It disappoints you as a man and a guy who cared so much about him. I obviously care a lot about him as a person and a football player.”

Roethlisberger said he has given up trying to talk to Bryant after he did not return messages, so he will leave it up to the receiver to make contact.

Does that sound like someone who has learned his lesson? It doesn’t to me. After his first suspension he went to rehab with John Lucas. It doesn’t seem to have made a difference. He has failed four drug tests and missed two more. Does that sound like someone who takes it seriously? I’m sure people thought Justin Blackmon was changed too when he came back from suspension but it didn’t take long for him to be suspended yet again. Same with Josh Gordon. How many times have we seen someone who has failed so many tests to be suspended for a year actually be successful in returning to play. I can’t think of one. Do you know of any?

19. whenwilliteverend says: Mar 30, 2017 9:50 AM

Furthermore, Bryant is going to be in stage 3 of the substance abuse program which means a lot more tests. Since his latest suspension was the result of multiple failed tests (again, four failed tests and missing two more) what do you think the odds are of him not testing positive on another test AND not missing any tests. Does it sound promising that someone in Stage 3 doesn’t take it seriously enough to blow off tests, or did he not show up because he know he was going to fail. Has he done anything to warrant any faith in his ability to stay off the suspended list? I don’t think so and it’s a crying shame. He and James Blackmon and Josh Gordon and Aldon Smith (substance abuse and behavioral issues) have essentially flushed their potential Hall of Fame careers down the toilet because of their inability to follow the rules.

I like the Steelers. I live in Jax and I like Justin Blackmon too. He was unreal when he was on the field. I’m also originally from northern Ohio so I watched the Browns when I was a little kid. Josh Gordon is incredible but he can’t seem to follow the rules. Those guys are fun to watch but they just can’t seem to follow the rules. If they weren’t football players they would probably be in jail. I just can’t understand how they can’t control their behavior like nearly every other NFL player. They must love their addictions more than football. They can’t use the cop out that they have nobody to turn to. They have more resources than just about anyone else and still they continue to fail drug tests.

It’s a very sad situation. Look, I hope these guys make it back–all of them. But the odds aren’t good. Josh Gordon hasn’t been on the field for a couple years. Justin Blackmon essentially just gave up on football. Aldon Smith has played only a few games in the last three years. Odds are against Martavis Bryant but as I have said with Blackmon and Gordon and Smith, I hope he beats the odds. However, if I were a betting man, I’d be he won’t.