Marvin Lewis: Bengals haven’t talked about trading AJ McCarron

Getty Images

Any talk of the Bengals trading backup quarterback AJ McCarron is happening only among fans and the media, and not between the Bengals and other teams.

That’s the word from Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, who said the Bengals haven’t tried to trade McCarron and no other teams have contacted the Bengals about McCarron.

“AJ McCarron is a valuable member of our football team,” Lewis said. “No one has asked to trade him. We’re not going to go out and seek a trade for AJ McCarron. He’s a valuable member of the team. We’ve said that how many times?”

Browns coach Hue Jackson said this week that he wouldn’t hesitate to make a trade within the division, and some saw that as a hint that he’s interested in McCarron. Jackson was an assistant in Cincinnati for McCarron’s first two seasons, so the two already have a rapport.

But when Lewis was asked what the Browns would need to give up to get McCarron, he suggested it would take the first overall pick. Lewis was laughing as he said that, but he seems to be serious that he values having McCarron as a backup to Andy Dalton, and won’t make a trade unless it’s for the right offer.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Marvin Lewis: Bengals haven’t talked about trading AJ McCarron”
  1. dirtydawg44 says: Mar 30, 2017 10:37 AM

2. kcflake says: Mar 30, 2017 10:42 AM

I believe I saw a quote from AJ himself saying he wanted to go somewhere where he could play.

3. intrafinesse says: Mar 30, 2017 10:44 AM

Are you sure a high #1 is enough for AJ McCarron?
    I mean after all he did start a couple of games 2 years ago.

4. NFLexpert says: Mar 30, 2017 10:51 AM

This is big, I mean Really Big!

5. dpdonny says: Mar 30, 2017 10:51 AM

No clue why his name doesn’t come up more. He will definitely be a started in this league when given the opportunity.

6. philtration says: Mar 30, 2017 11:04 AM

I would have much rather seen the Bears make a deal for McCarron than sign Mike Glennon.

I have no idea what the hell they are doing anymore.

7. mogogo1 says: Mar 30, 2017 11:05 AM

Weird how QBs depreciate similar to new automobiles. Coming out of college the sky is the limit–nobody questions spending high first round picks even on guys who took every snap from the shotgun and never had to read a defense in college. But the second a guy hits the NFL–even if he’s looked good in real games–and the talk goes to how valuable draft picks are so they can’t be wasted in trades.

8. harrisonhits2 says: Mar 30, 2017 11:06 AM

“AJ McCarron can lead us to a playoff loss just as well as the Red BB Gun can if need be.”

– Marvin Lewis

9. dawoger says: Mar 30, 2017 11:09 AM

The only team who’s management is dumb enough to give up a 1st round pick for McCarron would have to be stupid enough to give up a 1st round pick for Sammy Bradford.

SKOLOLOL!!

10. jm91rs says: Mar 30, 2017 11:10 AM

I think if the Browns don’t at least attempt to pull the trigger on AJ, then it tells the league a lot about AJ McCarron. If his former offensive coordinator isn’t interested, why would any other team? That said, The Bengals are expected to petition the league for another year of control of McCarron due to his not being active in his rookie year. This would likely mean he’ll be a restricted free agent and get tendered with a 1st round tender next year. If I were at all interested in McCarron I’d trade for him now to get 2 years of his rookie deal, but if I were the Bengals I wouldn’t be worried about him until next year.

11. mysterytonite says: Mar 30, 2017 11:11 AM

I find it hard to believe that the Browns brass would allow Jackson to seek out McCarron after what he did with the Carson Palmer fleecing in Oakland. I also believe that Mike Brown is so stubborn that he wouldn’t consider moving McCarron without a Palmer-esque offer (1 and 2nd round picks) which McCarron is not worth. The Browns are loaded with picks and a 2nd rounder with a conditional 3 or 4 based on play time/ stats is something the Bengals would be ignorant not to consider. McCarron has serious potential. His physical tools may not be elite but the grit he plays with can get him through the tough times and growing pains if he is in the right situation. It’s a shame Dalton is already established here since I would really like to see what he could do as the Bengals starter. A deal like this would take some imagination and that is something Brown has always lacked. I think if the Browns can get McCarron somehow they are competing for a playoff spot next season and might be 8-8 this year.

12. nyneal says: Mar 30, 2017 11:11 AM

I have a suggestion. Tom Brady served a 4 game suspension at the beginning of last year, and by all accounts he felt fresher at the end of the season and in the playoffs because of it.
    So — with guys getting suspended or arrested on a daily basis these days, why not just suspend everyone for the first 4 games of the season? That way they’d all get a chance to kick back and relax like Brady did, and that way they’d all play better when it counts at the end of the season and during the playoffs.
    I’ll tell you this — they could knock 4 games off the schedule right now and I wouldn’t miss it one bit. The NFL is over-saturated now. It’s everywhere and I think it’s wearing on fans — not to mention the players and coaches. I think a lot of die-hards such as myself are getting tired of it.

13. bengals1974 says: Mar 30, 2017 11:13 AM

“Mar 30, 2017 10:37 AM
    I truly believe this is the QB the Browns are secretly targeting the most. I think they’re using Garoppolo as a smoke screen to stay low key on McCarron as to not drive up the price. With the relationship mentioned above, the learning curve into Hues offense would be seamless. Jmho”

—————————

I hope your right on this. I am a bengal fan, but would love seeing him in a situation that he could play right away. It will be tough if he succeed, but as a fan I will enjoy watching him. If it helps both teams get better than the other two AFC teams, I am for it!
    LETS GO OHIO

14. frzerbowlsurvivor says: Mar 30, 2017 11:24 AM

.the real value (in a trade) for the Bengals is Dalton… I am of the belief that McCarron isn’t too much of a step down from Dalton and that both Dalton and the Bengals could use a reset of sorts…. personally, I would have been on the phone with Houston (where #14 is from) and try to work the #24 pick for Dalton. Too bad creative thinking is beyond the Bengals’ capacity or willingness to consider. IMHO– one of the top 3 picks would be traded for Dalton since they all need a QB (SF/Chicago are no brainers out of the conference) and getting a top 5 pick with the #9 (when neither pick has to be QB) can continue the run of above .500 ball….without this, I fear a string of 6-10/7-9 type of seasons. Sure, I want them to win a playoff game, but you can conquer that dragon without being above .500 in any given year.

I just don’t see how McCarron can be worth a top 15 pick in a trade…..unless the Bengals give up their 2nd/3rd rounder and McCarron…then I could see it for the #12 pick.

Lots of options….but only narrow minded, conservative thinking will occur.

15. firstdownbrowns says: Mar 30, 2017 11:30 AM

you hear this all the times from teams . we havent had any talks about player x. so is there no team talk at all with the FO and HC ? please tell us what it is you talk about ?

16. NFLexpert says: Mar 30, 2017 11:46 AM

Dalton is the guy the Bengals should try to dump, not McCarron…

17. xavier179 says: Mar 30, 2017 11:48 AM

How does Marvin Lewis even keep his job? Come playoff time the Bengals wilt like a delicate flower.

18. steelerdeathstar says: Mar 30, 2017 11:49 AM

Maybe the Bengals supposed reluctance to trade McCarron, is that they see him as a viable alternative to Dalton in the near future, if need be? You could see that happening.

19. unclebluck says: Mar 30, 2017 11:58 AM

Only in the NFL can an unproven commodity be worth millions of dollars……

20. citizenstrange says: Mar 30, 2017 12:02 PM

21. irsaysneedle says: Mar 30, 2017 12:14 PM

funny, I totally forgot about McCarron…and the bungals…how pathetic…

22. mmmpierogi says: Mar 30, 2017 12:20 PM

dawoger says:
    Mar 30, 2017 11:09 AM

SKOLOLOL!!

*****************************************************************************

You laugh, but there are people that think a 1st round pick + two or more 2nd round picks + a 3rd round pick is somehow a reasonable and/or feasible return for Garoppolo, which is completely ridiculous. I don’t see how Garoppolo is leaps-and-bounds above a McCarron in terms of potential. The hyper-valuing of Garoppolo is nuts.

23. harrisonhits2 says: Mar 30, 2017 12:31 PM

“Tom Brady served a 4 game suspension at the beginning of last year, and by all accounts he felt fresher at the end of the season and in the playoffs because of it.”

By all accounts except that of Brady himself who said it didn’t make any difference as to how he felt late in the season.

24. harrisonhits2 says: Mar 30, 2017 12:32 PM

“Only in the NFL can an unproven commodity be worth millions of dollars……”

Before the rookie wage scale it was a lot worse. Teams would pay 1st round QBs 40-50 million and then minimum at least half of them never panned out as anything but busts.

25. mysterytonite says: Mar 30, 2017 12:34 PM

jm91rs says:
    Mar 30, 2017 11:10 AM

———————————————————

Is this true? If that is the case, that is disappointing and I’m speaking as a Bengals fan. If you don’t want to make him your starter that its fine but stop holding the guy back and move him. It’s not like you wouldn’t get something significant in return. To petition the league to squat on his rights for another season is low. It’s one thing if he was a 1st or a 2nd round pick but a 5th rounder who is making peanuts and is on the cusp of cashing in should be considered. Also, if the injury happened at Bengals practice I don’t think the team should have a leg to stand on.

26. jakasssayswhat says: Mar 30, 2017 1:15 PM

Given all their losses on the O-line this offseason, it’s a good idea for the Bengals to keep McCarron around. They’re probably going to need him this year.

27. nopepper12 says: Mar 30, 2017 1:31 PM

So, we would rather not get someone who can help the team now for a guy we pray never has to play a down? I’m not the smartest guy on the planet, but seems strange that we would overvalue a player we simply never want to see take the field.

28. idiedpretty says: Mar 30, 2017 1:34 PM

Maybe, they woulD trade his wife to me?

29. jjackwagon says: Mar 30, 2017 1:35 PM

AJ would be an upgrade for at least 6 teams, Browns, 9ers, Rams, Jets, Bears, & Jags.

30. kelswhit77 says: Mar 30, 2017 1:40 PM

“AJ McCarron came within a combined Vontaze Burfict/Pacman Jones meltdown of beating Small Ben in Big Games in the playoffs.

Read that again … it took TWO crazy butt meltdowns by the Bengal defense to hand Big Bum a last second field goal and an 18-16 win. That’s just how good Big Bum is.”

Citizenstrange failed to mention one other major factor: the J Hill choke fumble when the Bengals were about to put the game away. A.J. McCarron WILL win a Super Bowl as a starting QB in the NFL. He isn’t the real deal, with that ‘it’ factor that Andy lacks.

31. doctorrustbelt says: Mar 30, 2017 1:51 PM

WAKE UP!!!

Bengals owner mike brown is not going to get rid of A.J. McCarron unless he gets a RIDICULOUS package of draft picks.

A.J. is going to make $690,000 in 2017.

Cheap mike brown IS NOT going to sign a more expensive back up (who may or may not be better than McCarron).

SHEEIT… jimmy garoppolo makes $895,077 in 2017 (with 40 yards per game CAREER average).

A.J. McCarron is a great value for Cincinnati.

32. drunkraider says: Mar 30, 2017 2:00 PM

honestly i think McCarron could be better than Dalton if given the chance.

33. a1b24312 says: Mar 30, 2017 2:07 PM

Marv’s too busy trying to get a contract extension for himself.

34. johnstofa says: Mar 30, 2017 2:18 PM

Good.

35. benchokeshischikin says: Mar 30, 2017 4:34 PM

Have the Bengals talked about trading Marvin Lewis? I’d take a warm bucket of Gatorade for him…

36. PFT loves the Steelers says: Mar 31, 2017 9:45 AM

________________

You had me up to that point. Andy Dalton is underappreciated and not the problem in Cincy. With a line that allowed 41 sacks, Dalton threw for 4100 yards with 22 total TDs and only 8 INTs. Completed 65%. In 2015, Dalton was a top 5 MVP candidate prior to his injury.

Meanwhile, McCarron is just some 5th round pick people remember from college because he played on a great team and has a hot wife. He played “ok” in 4 starts. Was awful in the playoffs. What am I missing here? He’s not going to win playoff games under Marvin Lewis.

37. PFT loves the Steelers says: Mar 31, 2017 9:52 AM

McCarron lost a playoff game by a score of 16-18 and suddenly he’s a “hero” after 3 fumbles, 1 int and a passer rating of 68.3. The only reason he was in that game was because of the defense all the McCarron lovers blame for the loss.

38. voyager6 says: Mar 31, 2017 7:41 PM

Given the 2017 O line, the Bengals will need five QBs. They aren’t trading AJ.

39. piercepatriot says: Apr 1, 2017 9:39 AM

This is difficult issue the NFLPA will want to address.
    McCarron is better than several team’s starting QB… but the Bengals would be foolish to let him go because of his cheap price tag. A replacement for McCarron wouldn’t be as good and would cost more.