Ricky Jean Francois explains why he owns 25 doughnut shops

Getty Images

It’s not for entertainment.

It’s not for late-night cravings.

Ricky Jean Francois says he owns 25 Dunkin’ Donuts franchises, and his reason is for the long haul.

The new Packers defensive tackle signed a one-year, $2 million contract last week. Fair to say, he won’t dump all those funds into a million-dollar sports car and clothes. Jean Francois has made investing a priority in his NFL career, applying the focus into a business strategy that so happens to make him something of a doughnut-and-coffee tycoon.

Jean Francois said that he wasn’t as conscientious with his money in 2009 as a 49ers rookie.

But as the NFL paychecks grew, his attention did, too.

“When the big money came in,” Jean Francois said, via Fox Sports Radio, “I was like, ‘I need a retirement plan right now. I need a retirement plan that can grow right now, so at the time when I actually walk out of the NFL, I don’t have to let the NFL be my identity. Teams can look at me like, ‘OK, he’s a business man. He’s a smart guy. He knows what he’s doing with his money.’

“I’m going on year nine, and I have so many different investments and opportunities, so the day I have to walk out of the league, I won’t have those second guesses. I won’t be those guys you see on ’30-for-30.’ I won’t be those percentage of guys that goes broke. . . . I want to be that guy on top. When the league talks about, ‘This is what you do with your money,’ they actually show a picture of me.”

Between the March free-agency period and rookie contract signings to come, Jean Francois’ example is a timely one.

62 responses to “Ricky Jean Francois explains why he owns 25 doughnut shops

1. Nice to see there are at least a few of these guys.

For all that people make fun of Gronk he’s saved every penny of his NFL money and lived off endorsements. He’s another guy whose been extremely smart with his money.

2. Brilliant move. I have never seen one of those close.

Of course, your average Boston guy will say “25? There’s more than that in a square mile in Boston”

3. Not everyone is as business savvy as this guy. Lots of players go broke spending big or giving it away but lots of guys get ripped off by business advisers too.

I feel sorry for any young person who comes in to so much money when they don’t have people to help them. Owners should hook the players up with team sponsored advisors but they don’t want that liability risk.

4. I feel sorry for any young person who comes in to so much money when they don’t have people to help them…
    ______________________
    And soon they’ll come into all that money in the middle of Las Vegas with no support system. Good job Goodell.

5. Sounds like he’s not very focused on improving his skill set as a football player. Fits in good as a packer.

6. What a beast. How can you not love this guy? He plays hard on the field and is a smart hard working man with goals. Wish more players had this guy’s foresight

7. 25 donut shops but how many are profitable? I have to say at least he’s smarter about his money then most Pro Athletes who decide to start a record label.

8. You ever go to a doughnut shop at 5am mon-fri?! It’s like the DMV in there! Cheers to this guy for pushing himself to be great AFTER football. To the nut who said “well see how smart they were in 20years”, he’s investing his money, instead of pissing it away on things of no value. You’ll probably be disappointed in 20years.

9. We’ll find out pretty quick how smart Ricky is.

Right now, the nearest Dunkin’ Donut shop to Lambeau Field is over 5 miles away in DePere. The next closest one is in Howard – 8.9 miles away.

With Mike McCarthy as HC, Ricky needs to put a DD across the street from Lambeau. Too bad Fat Eddie left town – a DD across the street would have been a gold mine for sure!

10. “sportfan2 says:
    Mar 30, 2017 8:52 PM
    Lets wait and see in 20 years how smart it was.”

– – –

I’m sorry, what? 20 years? At what point do new businesses get your seal of approval?

Francois has been running his various interests since signing his contract in Washington (Feb 2015), plus your 20 year approval window, so are we looking at 25 years for approval? 30? 50?

Do levels of expert armchair analysis/cynicism have fruition dates on them?

Your PFT Business Master audience awaits. Or possibly doesn’t.

11. When I saw this headline I thought PFT just put this out there so Viking fan could have a field day with the jokes. Instead I only see 1 low life comment (ITWT) and a couple questionable ones. I have restored faith in people on this site. I heard RJF is a great locker room guy, looking forward to hearing more good stories about him.

12. The viking trolls try and dis the Packers on an article that isn’t really about football. I guess when you have been owned by the Packers for so many years, you get conditioned into hating them. It’s sad really.

13. gtodriver says:
    Mar 31, 2017 6:51 AM
    We’ll find out pretty quick how smart Ricky is.
    ===================================
    What team is it that has the Donut Club? Isn’t that the Vikings?

14. beauregard says:
    Mar 30, 2017 7:44 PM
    The NFLPA should hire him to give classes to his peers and incoming rookies.

What seriously? what is wrong with the play maker Michael Irvin and Warren Sapp and Ray Lewis, Chris Carter?

15. He should try to get signed by the Patriots, not the Packers. Double-D’s home base is in Massachusetts.

16. He bought the shops the minute he found out he was signed by green bleh. doughnuts are to Wisconsin as crack is to the inner cities. Veeeeeeery profitable, the demand is out of this world.

17. h0metownzero says:
    Mar 31, 2017 10:56 AM
    The Vikings are a lot like a donut shop. They’ve been producing them for 54 years.

/////////////

What? This absolutely makes no sense. Hometown you posted this at 10:56 AM. You need to quit drinking and I don’t know…….get a job?

18. Zero is oftentimes called a “donut.” That’s what he is referencing.

As in; “The Minnesota Vikings have nothing to show for fifty-six years of effort than a big ‘ol donut.”

Get it? It’s not rocket science. Please try to keep up.

19. Sheesh, Packer fans sure are sensitive. Your coach is fat. My coach has one eye. Own it.

20. h0metownzero says:
    Mar 31, 2017 10:56 AM

That’s why they like to call MN, “Loserville”.

***

The sooner you stop finding worth in something you didn’t accomplish the better your life will be (Or likely worse).

One guy called MN loserville based off the overall success of Minnesota sports. Twin Cities is one of the smallest markets to have every sport. Let me say that again. Every sport. Professional and collegiate. Sorry to say, not every athlete gets a key to the city and a street named after them. There just so happens to be more going on up here other than the Aaron Rodgers radio show in the offseason.

So Packer fans can go ahead and call us loserville, when in all actuality majority of wisconsinites hop borders to live or work in either MN or IL and reap the benefits of those states and spew nonsense about someone else’s accomplishments.

21. The Green Bay Packers just signed a guy that owns 25 donut shops….anyone see thenconnections.

Somewhere in Seattle Eddie Lacy is trashing the room he is in with tears in his eyes.

22. stellarperformance says:
    Mar 31, 2017 12:01 PM
    Zero is oftentimes called a “donut.” That’s what he is referencing.

Get it? It’s not rocket science. Please try to keep up.

///////////

The lightbulb just came on, stellar and hometown are the same person. Multiple personalities, Ed Gein had multiple personalities also.

23. Why is it that some Vikings’ fans have a need to accuse others of having multiple names?

24. “Ricky Jean Francois explains why he owns 25 doughnut shops”

Because he wants to be my BFF?

25. frank booth says:
    Mar 31, 2017 5:22 PM

//////////

I stand corrected, Frank, hometown and stellar are the same person. It’s not hard to figure out, you explain each other’s comments. Too funny.

26. frank booth says:
    Mar 31, 2017 5:22 PM

//////////

I stand corrected, frank, stellar and hometown are the same person. Too funny.

27. Good for him. Nice to see a positive story instead of the too often ones showing all types of aberrant behavior by players, owners, coaches and fans

28. eatme229 says

“Hey, anyone that makes me look silly, I’ll just say that they all have the same name!”. That’s a go0d tact

You’ve never heard the term “donut” used for zero, huh? Pretty commonplace for a very long time.

It’s like someone else explaining what “goose egg” is- everyone knows what it is.

It’s fun just to throw things out there with no factual basis, isn’t it?

Just because you get shown up, you have to resort to the old “hey, that guy has multiple names” ad hominem attack.

29. sportfan2 says:
    Mar 30, 2017 8:52 PM
    Lets wait and see in 20 years how smart it was.
    ———————————————————————————————————————-
    Lets wait and see how YOU are doing in 20 years to see how smart YOU are!

30. frank booth says:
    Mar 31, 2017 7:03 PM
    I can play that game: ariani1985 is eatme229. That was worthwhile.

/////////

You got me. You’re real sensitive frankstellarhometown.
    You know who else is sensitive? Women.

31. Good move. Makes me wonder if Wisconsin is next for legalized pot. Peyton Manning bought 21 Papa John’s right before Colorado passed it. Glad RJF is with the Pack!

32. Clearly, such a base and stereotypical comment from someone would indicate that he or she has little experience with women, or knows much about being a man.