Texans feel good about J.J. Watt’s recovery from back surgery

Getty Images

Texans defensive lineman J.J. Watt had two back surgeries last year and played in just three games, but he should be good to go this year.

Texans coach Bill O’Brien said at the league meeting that Watt will arrive in good shape when the team opens offseason work in three weeks.

J.J. is doing great,” O’Brien said. “He’s really looking forward to being back in Houston [for the start of the offseason program]. He’s definitely on track to be ready to go. I don’t know how much he’ll do in OTAs and things like that, but he’s on track to be ready to play. And, knowing J.J. the way I do, I will tell you he cannot wait to be back out on the field.”

The Texans were a playoff team even without Watt. If they can get the best defensive player in the league back and healthy, they have to feel very good about their chances in 2017.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Texans feel good about J.J. Watt’s recovery from back surgery”
  1. joetoronto says: Mar 30, 2017 5:28 AM

I wish him all the best but he’ll never be the same.

2. wahoo21 says: Mar 30, 2017 5:38 AM

won’t make it through the season….back injuries do that

3. DugoutDirtbag says: Mar 30, 2017 6:51 AM

I wish him well too.

But

Am I the only one that would love to see Watt play DE in a 4 3 front with a top notch 3 tech DL lined up beside him?

Use him as a pure pass rusher the rest of his career and save his back?

4. thermanmerman99 says: Mar 30, 2017 7:20 AM

There isn’t a more blatantly obvious abuser of HGH on the planet than this egomaniac. Inhaling PEDs 24-7 of course the Texans feel good

5. exinsidetrader says: Mar 30, 2017 7:44 AM

How soon until he can go back to doing those box-jumps that damaged his back?

6. Oakland_LosAngeles_Oakland_LasVegasRaiders says: Mar 30, 2017 7:50 AM

Do they feel good about his ego?

7. buffalorealist says: Mar 30, 2017 7:55 AM

He needs to read Healing Back Pain by Dr John Sarno.
    #BabaBooey

8. dpkimball says: Mar 30, 2017 8:14 AM

Having had a similar surgery myself, I can’t imagine playing football again. Then again, I’m not a finely tuned professional athlete. I tip my hat to JJ (and Romo) for having the desire to continue playing. I just hope they don’t regret it when they’re 50 or 60 and in constant pain or having more serious surgeries.

I wish JJ the best and hope he can stay healthy.

9. nhpats says: Mar 30, 2017 8:31 AM

joetoronto says:
    Mar 30, 2017 5:28 AM
    I wish him all the best but he’ll never be the same.

————–

You mean he will be worse than a guy with two postseason wins in 12 years?

10. thirdand43 says: Mar 30, 2017 8:39 AM

The idea of healthy Watt on one side and healthy Clowney on the other should strike fear in offensive linemen and quarterbacks every where.

11. tqaztec says: Mar 30, 2017 8:53 AM

PEDs break the body down.

12. bayousooner90 says: Mar 30, 2017 8:59 AM

This time last year they felt Good about Brock Osweiler as a franchise QB.
    Overtime I pay the lottery I feel good about my numbers…Like the Texans still waiting to win the Big prize.
    Until he plays we never know.

13. ipeefreelyagain says: Mar 30, 2017 9:47 AM

He won’t be the same. He already re-injured it just a few games after the first surgery. Back injuries for pass rushers are equivalent to a running back shredding his knee. There’s so much torque and pressure put on the back with each snap. JJ will be playing with a lot of cortisone injections each game day. How long can a player tolerate that? Time will tell.

14. saints737 says: Mar 30, 2017 9:59 AM

I’m 3 months removed from back surgery at about the same age as Watt is now, same procedure, Microdiscectomy.

Watt has had TWO of these in the span of a few months. No way he’s ever going to be the same. I’m just now to the point of doing 1 sit up.

The stress that football causes on the back is astronomical to what everyday people endure with this kind of injury. Going to be tough to be the same player without re-injury.

I wish him the best I just don’t see it happening. Serviceable again in the NFL, yes. MVP caliber? No.

15. collectordude says: Mar 30, 2017 10:01 AM

They better hope Watts comes back and plays like before the injury.

With no QB worth spit on the roster, they will have to hold the other teams scoreless to win any games.

16. campcouch says: Mar 30, 2017 10:24 AM

Hopefully the guy deals with professional trainers strictly and lays off the tire tosses.

17. redlikethepig says: Mar 30, 2017 11:17 AM

All surgeries are successful, all recoveries are ahead of schedule, all players will be back at 100%.

18. radrntn says: Mar 30, 2017 11:27 AM

yet they will take a d lineman with their first pick in the draft

19. irsaysneedle says: Mar 30, 2017 11:59 AM

Not just the most over-rated player currently in the NFL…the most over-rated player in the NFL over the last 20 years!!!

20. idiedpretty says: Mar 30, 2017 12:02 PM

Even if JJ returns to superstar form, with Savage under center, the Texans are going nowhere.

21. htown1035 says: Mar 30, 2017 1:35 PM

I love the comments “I had the same surgery, he’ll never be the same”.

Um, you’re not a world class athlete who goes through rehab and medical treatment that far surpasses whatever doctor you went to to have your back looked at.

Everyone said Clowney wouldn’t be the same coming back from microfracture surgery and he had his best year. Don’t count out Watt. Even if he’s 80% of his usual form that’s still better than most of the other players at his position.

22. saints737 says: Mar 30, 2017 2:06 PM

Back is a different animal than the knee HTown. The fact that he had two surgical procedures is the icing on the cake for me.

Tiger Woods had 3 surgeries done. How’s that working out for him?

23. RegisHawk says: Mar 30, 2017 3:19 PM

Same thing they said about Romo years ago…

24. jaysayz says: Mar 30, 2017 3:39 PM

I hope we don’t waste watt and hopkins carrer like they did Johnsons. Get a damn qb already. When Matt Schuab is the best qb in franchise history it’s just sad.

25. htown1035 says: Mar 31, 2017 9:40 AM

saints737 says:
    Mar 30, 2017 2:06 PM

Tiger Woods had 3 surgeries done. How’s that working out for him?
    —————————————-

For a 41 year old who requires a ton of torque on his back? Not well. But he’s not a 28 year old athlete with an entire year to rehab. Again, he may not be MVP-caliber but he’s too talented and too driven to not be good.