Aaron Rodgers: Tom Brady is my model for taking care of my body

AP

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is six years younger than Tom Brady, and seeing Brady continue to play well is giving Rodgers some hope that he can last as long.

Rodgers told Evan Daniels that he’s been studying the way Brady takes care of himself in the offseason and plans to do the same things Brady does, in the hopes that he lasts as long.

“When you’ve reached the level of success that I have, and we have in Green Bay you continue to have to find ways to reinvent yourself, and adapt, and change, and challenge yourself. And for me, the challenge has become, how do you stay at your best for an extended period of time, and how do you get your body in the best shape possible. You look at the Super Bowl, I’ve been a huge fan of Tom Brady for a long time, and consider him one of the greatest if not the greatest of all time. And he’s doing it at 39. And the way that he takes care of his body is really a model for all quarterbacks. Young quarterbacks and quarterbacks kind of in the middle, the second half of their career like myself, who would love to be 38, 39 or 40 and be playing at a high level and be healthy and have their body where they want it at that age. That’s kind of the standard and the model for what I want to be.”

It’s probably not realistic to think many quarterbacks will play as well as Brady has at the same age. But as players start to learn more about the best approaches to working out and nutrition, we may see a few more players continue to play at a very high level, perhaps even into their 40s. Rodgers wants to be one of them.

98 responses to “Aaron Rodgers: Tom Brady is my model for taking care of my body

1. “When you’ve reached the level of success that I have ….”

Someone should tell him he’s reached the same level of success as Trent Dilfer. Less even, Dilfer’s a successful analyst.

2. Man, the NFL is not designed to pay players for the long term. If athletes can compete at a high level for 20 years because of advances in sports medicine the owners are going to have to change how they do business.

3. Great article on 2 of the most admired QB’s in the NFL. I’m really looking forward to contending once again this year as the most storied franchise in the history of the NFL attempts to win it’s NFL record 14th World Championship.

4. Credit to Brady for his 12 month/year lifestyle but it also has to be remembered that he plays in an era where most of the greats are still in their prime in their late 30s. Favre, Manning, and Brees also had career years at 38-39.

5. Favre, Manning, and Brees also had career years at 38-39.

Brees has yet to play a game as a 38 year-old, but thanks for commenting nonetheless.

6. unbridledsexy says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:02 PM

——————————————————–

Quarterbacks are the exception to that rule. For any other position, I would agree, but QB’s atr treated differently…especially the good ones.

7. “youdrivemenutseagles says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:09 PM

“When you’ve reached the level of success that I have…”

I stopped reading.”

The rest of us wish you’d have stopped typing too.

8. He should also be his model for being a decent human being… oh and playoff success. Let’s not forget that. Tom has 7 Superbowl appearances and Rodgers, in a less competitive NFC, has 1.

9. I think we will see some players trying to play longer, but I think we are more likely to see players retire early because they are financially set for life and it isn’t worth it to continue to risk long term health.

10. You know who Tom Brady can thank for taking care of his body ,,……….his offensive line coach !

11. “Tom has 7 Superbowl appearances and Rodgers, in a less competitive NFC, has 1.”

To be fair Tom also has Belichick and Rodgers doesn’t.

If you flipped teams it might well be Brady with 1 SB and Rodgers with 7 as its also about the cast of characters around them and the fact that Belichick is the best at reloading almost every offseason.

12. I guess one Super Bowl is the pinnacle of success.

Is Rodgers saying that his on field performance is so great that the only thing he needs to do is stay conditioned??

Blowing a 16 point half time lead to GB (Brady would never do) and being embarrassed by the Falcons in a route to losing by 30 (Brady came back down 25 vs the Falcons with little over a Quarter left)

Focus on the field first Erin. You’re good but you’re not THAT good

13. It’s pretty cool how Brady and Rogers both admire each other’s level of play. Brady has said he always likes watching Aaron play and it’s clear there’s mutual respect.

14. What Rodgers won’t tell you is how he saw my post here in PFT, got my message and gave up cheese last year. I come here every day with my public service announcement that cheese is fattening. Rodgers has heard me. I hope you do too.

15. artvan15 says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:10 PM
    With Rodgers scrambling out of the pocket he won’t last as long as Brady.

—————

I was thinking that too. Not because he will take more hits though. More because his scrambling ability will diminish, which will take away some of his effectiveness.

16. “When you’ve reached the level of success that I have…”

I stopped reading.
    ———————–
    What Rodgers meant to say was “When you’ve reached the same level of hate from your teammates in the locker room as you have in your own mom’s house like I have…

17. Man, these Rodgers trolls… use to be that you actually had to be quick witted, if not you were shamed for your inadequacies by your peers face to face… all those inadequate kids grew up and invented forums. Now they can sit at the keyboard and spew nonsensical BS and not be held accountable by their peers.
    Anybody who says Rodgers is not a successful QB… is that kid we use to make fun of on the playground because they had no verbal game. Congrats trolls you have no verbal game.

18. idiedpretty says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:27 PM
    Book a room and explore your bodies.
    ==========================

Why is it no surprise that’s coming from a miami fan?

19. kenmasters34 says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:58 PM
    Manning’s plan of having HGH sent to his wife isn’t good enough for Rodgers?
    —————————————————————
    All Rodgers needs to do is open up Clay Matthews locker.

20. You’re right, Brees was “only” 37. Thanks for commenting…

—————————————-

“Favre, Manning, and Brees also had career years at 38-39.”

21. Play in a division where you haven’t been challenged your entire career and you’ll be fine.

22. “When you’ve reached the level of success that I have ….”

———————————————————-

So, Dilfer is a 2x league MVP? Dilfer is a Super Bowl MVP? Dilfer has the highest career QB rating? Dilfer led his team to the playoffs 8 consecutive seasons? Dilfer is the only QB in league history to have a 4+:1 TD to INT ratio? Dilfer has the highest single season QB rating? And who was the QB who threw for 305 yards, 3TD in the Super Bowl vs. the other guy who threw for 153 yards and 1 TD?

By your standards, Trent Dilfer obviously is more successful than Dan Marino and Jim Kelly. Equal to Steve Young. Funny that no one is even jokingly suggesting Dilfer for the HOF. What an outrage.

23. Nofoolnodrool says:
    Mar 31, 2017 3:09 PM

Follow the GOAT for success!

Oh great, just what we,need is more QB’s cheating into their 40’s.

//////

Get a life.

24. Translation, I hope Brady can give me the number to his Brazilian and Italian doctors so they can hook me up with some exotic PEDs too.

25. taking care of my body…

as in…

pumping myself full of brazilian HGH

from giselle’s sources in her home country

that isn’t traceable by US authorities

26. idiedpretty says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:27 PM
    Book a room and explore your bodies.
    ==========================

Why is it no surprise that’s coming from a miami fan?

———

Maybe because they are all on the beach on Sundays gawking at each other’s banana hammocks instead of selling out that crappy stadium.

27. Just call Gomer’s wife, Aaron. She has the market cornered on Chinese HGH from the recently shut down wing of the Guyer Institute in Indianapolis.

28. nathanp2013 says:
    Mar 31, 2017 3:17 PM
    kenmasters34 says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:58 PM
    Manning’s plan of having HGH sent to his wife isn’t good enough for Rodgers?
    —————————————————————
    All Rodgers needs to do is open up Clay Matthews locker.
    ________

Then the title of this thread would be;

Aaron Rodgers: Clay Matthews is my model for taking care of my protruding forehead.

29. Oh great, just what we need, another troll spewing feces about the best-ever QB.

Get a life.

30. Joe Flacco has as many SB titles as you.

—-

Except Jump Ball Joe is nowhere near Rodgers’s class.

JBJ also wears a goofy uniform with a goofy emblem on his helmet, so there’s that too.

31. “When you’ve reached the level of success that I have…”

In the last article about Rodgers, I believe I said “is there anyone in the League more arrogant than Aaron Rogers?”

32. h0metownzero says:
    Mar 31, 2017 4:07 PM
    This will no doubt extend the career of one of the greatest football players of all time.

/////////////

Aren’t you a little old for hero worship?

33. Rodgers hasn’t played at a high “level of success” for a full season in years.

He can only “get it up” for a partial season these days.

34. crownofthehelmet said:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:01 PM

“When you’ve reached the level of success that I have ….”

——————————————————–

And yet, with so little success, he’s still more successful than all of the Viking teams ever to take the field……….combined……..over 55 years.

The Barneys just keep lobbing them up there!

35. Nofoolnodrool says:
    Mar 31, 2017 3:55 PM

========================

Another of your supposedly intentional typos?

36. variablexonfootball says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:29 PM
    Tony Gonzalez used a similarly strict vegan diet that contributed to his high level of performance well into his 40s
    ***************************
    Which is impressive given that he was 36 when he played his last game…

37. I have a great one….that does include hero worshipping a man playing a boys game…..and I need a life? Thanks for the chuckle sparky.
    ———————————————–
    Mom says go clean your room or you’re gonna get grounded.

38. Good lord alot of you need a hug or something lol. And to that turd saying dilfer is more successful please just stop posting. Rodgers is a very successful QB and if you think he is not then either you are a hater or just dumb as hell.

39. Brady and Rodgers are friends, so it’s no surprise that Rodgers is talking to Brady about this stuff. It’s not vegan though. In any case, good for Rodgers. I don’t know why people don’t like him. I love watching him and, if you remember that Dallas game, you know that he is a great one. In the NFL, you need a supporting cast. I’m a Patriots fan, but I love watching Aaron Rodgers play. He plays the game at its highest level and it’s just fun watching him. I don’t think Brady is more talented. Brady is the smartest, the best competitor, and pretty talented as well. Brady-Rodgers is one Super Bowl that I’d love to see.

40. Nofoolnodrool says:
    Mar 31, 2017 3:55 PM

========================

Another of your supposedly intentional typos?

Bait, hook, fisher flopping on the bottom of the boat. Glad I made a troll bite……you really need a hobby.

41. I love how some correlate individual success with team success. Rodgers has had a huge amount of success in his career. The biggest downfall to his success has been his defense.

Just one example is his first playoff game ever he puts 45 points on the board, but the Cardinals scored 51.

Against the Giants after the 2011 season, he was the Packers leading rusher. He ran seven times picking up seven first downs. Name another QB that can do that. Despite that, the Packers D gave up 37 points, keeping the game out of reach.

Sure Rodgers could have done more in a few playoff games, but he was rarely in the discussion for why they lost.

42. Rodgers hasn’t played at a high “level of success” for a full season in years.

He can only “get it up” for a partial season these days.
    ———
    Yeah, he only lead the league in TD’s last year and was MVP 2 years before that.

43. tellarperformance says:
    Mar 31, 2017 5:39 PM

I have to chuckle at the shade thrown by Viking trolls at Rodgers, the Packers, Packer fans, the City of Green Bay, the State of Wisconsin, etc., etc., etc.
    —-

its not just viking fans.

but thats all you got

44. Sad that the only thing Brady’s critics have left is to make up outright lies about hgh and anything else that runs across their tiny little minds.

45. harrisonhits2 says:
    Mar 31, 2017 3:00 PM

To be fair Tom also has Belichick and Rodgers doesn’t.

—————–

From a die hard Pat’s fan comes this comment. Simple objectivity. Got to respect it.

Then again, Rogers might not have been receptive to BB’s constant snarking and cut downs in front of the team in meetings, as I’ve read about, and you have to wonder how team chemistry might or might not suffer.

Maybe Rogers wouldn’t tolerate the coaching like Brady does? Who knows?

It’s a great compliment from one great QB to another.

46. ariani1985 says:
    Mar 31, 2017 6:21 PM
    Dilfer= rogers! Wanna debate any differences?
    ————————-

Sure, let’s go through the debate now.

You: Let’s compare Super Bowl rings.

Me: Let’s compare every other aspect of their career.

End debate.

47. h0metownzero says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:13 PM

________________

14th? The NFL record is currently 6.

48. A happy green parrot says:
    Mar 31, 2017 8:04 PM

14th? The NFL record is currently 6.
    ————-

Wrong. The Packers have 13 NFL Championships: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, 2010.

49. This is good offseason therapy for the haters.
    When the season starts, they have to go back to watching their statue pus-arm QBs lob it to the opposite color.

50. beerbratscheese says:
    Mar 31, 2017 8:59 PM
    A happy green parrot says:
    Mar 31, 2017 8:04 PM

14th? The NFL record is currently 6.
    ————-

===

we all marvel at the championships won with leather helmets and the single wing formation.

51. Championships should only be counted since 1961, the year the Vikings entered the league. That date goes hand-in-hand with Viking fans’ opinion the world revolves around them.

Even by the convoluted standard the Packers still lead the Vikings 7-0. Enjoy your “donuts” Viking fans. Eat it!

52. scott6141970 says:
    Apr 1, 2017 4:21 AM

—————

I see what you’re saying. So when the NFL sets foot in Europe and there’s about 50 teams, and the title is called the World Bowl rather than the Super Bowl, you’ll be saying Super Bowls don’t matter.

I don’t agree with it, but I see it.

53. When you’ve reached the level of success that I have…
    —-
    Tom Brady, Eli Manning, and Peyton Manning each have more super bowl wins than Aaron Rodgers yet they don’t talk about their “success” like Aaron does.

What success Aaron? You constantly choke, beg for penalties, and cry when you get touched by a defensive player.

The other 3 QBs I mentioned do none of that.

54. The other 3 QBs I mentioned do none of that.
    ===========
    Eli Manning? NYG sure. But Eli doesn’t belong in ANY conversation discussing the relative successes of Brady, Peyton and Rodgers. Eli is better included in discussing the successes of Dilfer and Flacco.

55. Whenever I read comments from trolls describing Rodgers or the Packers as chokers, Inget this vision of the Vikings:

If the Packers are simply chokers, the Vikings must be writhing on the ground in the fetal position with abdominal agony, foaming at the mouth and involuntarily crapping their pants.

That’s the only way the comparison could work.

56. beerbratscheese says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Remind me which QB, on the first play from scrimmage in the game, threw an INT that led to the first TD of the game.

May I remind you about the Donald Driver fumble on the Packers second drive that led to the Cardinals second TD of the game.

Remind me who fumbled the ball to allow the Cardinal defense to score the winning TD on the last play of the game.

Hint – it wasn’t Kurt Warner…

Rodgers started the game with a turnover and ended the game with a turnover.

The Packer defense was only fully responsible for 31 points.

The Packer defense also forced a fumble with led to the Packers first TD. So Rodgers benefited from a short field to make the game 17 – 7.

Don’t blame your defense for that loss. When your offense commits 3 times as many turnovers as the opposing team – you will rarely win the game.

57. Im an Aaron Rodgers is a phenominal QB. A first ballot HOFer IMO. No doubt.

But the biggest roadblock for him to continue to play at a high level when he is Brady’s age is the fact that his athleticism is why he is a great QB.

Brady is able to do it because the biggest part of what makes him great is his mind. He sees things so much faster then any QB in the league. It is his ability to anticipate and to break down the information he sees on the field in a nanosecond.

The problem for Rodgers is the body goes long before the mind.

Not saying he can’t do it. He very well may and I hope he does!

But while the way Brady takes care of himself is a big part of his longevity, the biggest reason is athleticism was never what made Brady great!