Aaron Rodgers: Tom Brady is my model for taking care of my body

AP

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is six years younger than Tom Brady, and seeing Brady continue to play well is giving Rodgers some hope that he can last as long.

Rodgers told Evan Daniels that he’s been studying the way Brady takes care of himself in the offseason and plans to do the same things Brady does, in the hopes that he lasts as long.

“When you’ve reached the level of success that I have, and we have in Green Bay you continue to have to find ways to reinvent yourself, and adapt, and change, and challenge yourself. And for me, the challenge has become, how do you stay at your best for an extended period of time, and how do you get your body in the best shape possible. You look at the Super Bowl, I’ve been a huge fan of Tom Brady for a long time, and consider him one of the greatest if not the greatest of all time. And he’s doing it at 39. And the way that he takes care of his body is really a model for all quarterbacks. Young quarterbacks and quarterbacks kind of in the middle, the second half of their career like myself, who would love to be 38, 39 or 40 and be playing at a high level and be healthy and have their body where they want it at that age. That’s kind of the standard and the model for what I want to be.”

It’s probably not realistic to think many quarterbacks will play as well as Brady has at the same age. But as players start to learn more about the best approaches to working out and nutrition, we may see a few more players continue to play at a very high level, perhaps even into their 40s. Rodgers wants to be one of them.

Permalink 98 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
98 Responses to “Aaron Rodgers: Tom Brady is my model for taking care of my body”
  1. nbptma1 says: Mar 31, 2017 1:57 PM

Follow the GOAT for success!

2. kneedragr says: Mar 31, 2017 1:57 PM

Yeah marry someone obscenely hot so if you are in even 90% condition you will feel self conscious.

3. crownofthehelmet says: Mar 31, 2017 2:01 PM

“When you’ve reached the level of success that I have ….”

Someone should tell him he’s reached the same level of success as Trent Dilfer. Less even, Dilfer’s a successful analyst.

4. unbridledsexy says: Mar 31, 2017 2:02 PM

Man, the NFL is not designed to pay players for the long term. If athletes can compete at a high level for 20 years because of advances in sports medicine the owners are going to have to change how they do business.

5. youdrivemenutseagles says: Mar 31, 2017 2:09 PM

“When you’ve reached the level of success that I have…”

I stopped reading.

6. pardonmyjake says: Mar 31, 2017 2:10 PM

rogers is my model for my relationship with my family

7. artvan15 says: Mar 31, 2017 2:10 PM

With Rodgers scrambling out of the pocket he won’t last as long as Brady.

8. h0metownzero says: Mar 31, 2017 2:13 PM

Great article on 2 of the most admired QB’s in the NFL. I’m really looking forward to contending once again this year as the most storied franchise in the history of the NFL attempts to win it’s NFL record 14th World Championship.

9. las0023 says: Mar 31, 2017 2:17 PM

Credit to Brady for his 12 month/year lifestyle but it also has to be remembered that he plays in an era where most of the greats are still in their prime in their late 30s. Favre, Manning, and Brees also had career years at 38-39.

10. 400marios says: Mar 31, 2017 2:17 PM

I would like the same Brady/Belichick relationship as Rodgers/Someone Else.

11. jason9696 says: Mar 31, 2017 2:23 PM

Aaron Rodgers is a hell of a QB but he’s only been to one Super Bowl.

12. idiedpretty says: Mar 31, 2017 2:27 PM

Book a room and explore your bodies.

13. The Mike says: Mar 31, 2017 2:27 PM

Also, Gisele is the model taking care of Tom’s body.

14. variablexonfootball says: Mar 31, 2017 2:29 PM

Tony Gonzalez used a similarly strict vegan diet that contributed to his high level of performance well into his 40s

15. joeflaccoallday says: Mar 31, 2017 2:36 PM

INComing cheating scandel

16. tronkoopmn says: Mar 31, 2017 2:39 PM

Quit staring at other dudes bodies, Rodgers.

17. tonyzendejas says: Mar 31, 2017 2:42 PM

Favre, Manning, and Brees also had career years at 38-39.

Brees has yet to play a game as a 38 year-old, but thanks for commenting nonetheless.

18. hutson14 says: Mar 31, 2017 2:48 PM

unbridledsexy says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:02 PM

——————————————————–

Quarterbacks are the exception to that rule. For any other position, I would agree, but QB’s atr treated differently…especially the good ones.

19. bhuettl says: Mar 31, 2017 2:49 PM

“youdrivemenutseagles says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:09 PM

“When you’ve reached the level of success that I have…”

I stopped reading.”

The rest of us wish you’d have stopped typing too.

20. nathanp2013 says: Mar 31, 2017 2:49 PM

He should also be his model for being a decent human being… oh and playoff success. Let’s not forget that. Tom has 7 Superbowl appearances and Rodgers, in a less competitive NFC, has 1.

21. bosskingnation says: Mar 31, 2017 2:52 PM

This would be much more interesting if it were abour Giselle Bundchen & Olivia Munns’ bodies

22. chicagobtech says: Mar 31, 2017 2:58 PM

“When you’ve reached the level of success that I have…”

Would that include looking up to Eli Manning’s postseason success?

23. bullcharger says: Mar 31, 2017 2:58 PM

I think we will see some players trying to play longer, but I think we are more likely to see players retire early because they are financially set for life and it isn’t worth it to continue to risk long term health.

24. kenmasters34 says: Mar 31, 2017 2:58 PM

Manning’s plan of having HGH sent to his wife isn’t good enough for Rodgers?

25. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Mar 31, 2017 2:59 PM

You know who Tom Brady can thank for taking care of his body ,,……….his offensive line coach !

26. harrisonhits2 says: Mar 31, 2017 3:00 PM

“Tom has 7 Superbowl appearances and Rodgers, in a less competitive NFC, has 1.”

To be fair Tom also has Belichick and Rodgers doesn’t.

If you flipped teams it might well be Brady with 1 SB and Rodgers with 7 as its also about the cast of characters around them and the fact that Belichick is the best at reloading almost every offseason.

27. dolfinsneedsuh14 says: Mar 31, 2017 3:02 PM

I guess one Super Bowl is the pinnacle of success.

Is Rodgers saying that his on field performance is so great that the only thing he needs to do is stay conditioned??

Blowing a 16 point half time lead to GB (Brady would never do) and being embarrassed by the Falcons in a route to losing by 30 (Brady came back down 25 vs the Falcons with little over a Quarter left)

Focus on the field first Erin. You’re good but you’re not THAT good

28. maust1013 says: Mar 31, 2017 3:03 PM

Probably a good thing for Rodgers that Brady’s diet isn’t based on plenty of Mom’s home cooking then.

29. QB Film Room says: Mar 31, 2017 3:04 PM

Rodgers tho! Stop being so full of yourself!

30. gtrav says: Mar 31, 2017 3:05 PM

It’s pretty cool how Brady and Rogers both admire each other’s level of play. Brady has said he always likes watching Aaron play and it’s clear there’s mutual respect.

31. cheeseisfattening says: Mar 31, 2017 3:06 PM

What Rodgers won’t tell you is how he saw my post here in PFT, got my message and gave up cheese last year. I come here every day with my public service announcement that cheese is fattening. Rodgers has heard me. I hope you do too.

32. bullcharger says: Mar 31, 2017 3:06 PM

artvan15 says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:10 PM
    With Rodgers scrambling out of the pocket he won’t last as long as Brady.

—————

I was thinking that too. Not because he will take more hits though. More because his scrambling ability will diminish, which will take away some of his effectiveness.

33. superpatriotsfan says: Mar 31, 2017 3:08 PM

Brady takes the David Ortiz roids

34. Nofoolnodrool says: Mar 31, 2017 3:09 PM

Follow the GOAT for success!

Oh great, just what we,need is more QB’s cheating into their 40’s.

35. cheeseisfattening says: Mar 31, 2017 3:10 PM

“When you’ve reached the level of success that I have…”

I stopped reading.
    ———————–
    What Rodgers meant to say was “When you’ve reached the same level of hate from your teammates in the locker room as you have in your own mom’s house like I have…

36. skyflyer63 says: Mar 31, 2017 3:11 PM

Man, these Rodgers trolls… use to be that you actually had to be quick witted, if not you were shamed for your inadequacies by your peers face to face… all those inadequate kids grew up and invented forums. Now they can sit at the keyboard and spew nonsensical BS and not be held accountable by their peers.
    Anybody who says Rodgers is not a successful QB… is that kid we use to make fun of on the playground because they had no verbal game. Congrats trolls you have no verbal game.

37. maust1013 says: Mar 31, 2017 3:13 PM

idiedpretty says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:27 PM
    Book a room and explore your bodies.
    ==========================

Why is it no surprise that’s coming from a miami fan?

38. nathanp2013 says: Mar 31, 2017 3:17 PM

kenmasters34 says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:58 PM
    Manning’s plan of having HGH sent to his wife isn’t good enough for Rodgers?
    —————————————————————
    All Rodgers needs to do is open up Clay Matthews locker.

39. fritz96 says: Mar 31, 2017 3:22 PM

You’re right, Brees was “only” 37. Thanks for commenting…

—————————————-

“Favre, Manning, and Brees also had career years at 38-39.”

40. srvmustang says: Mar 31, 2017 3:23 PM

joeflaccoallday says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:36 PM

INComing cheating scandel

/////////////

The only “scandel” is your spelling.

41. raylewisandhisteeth says: Mar 31, 2017 3:24 PM

Play in a division where you haven’t been challenged your entire career and you’ll be fine.

42. chris6523 says: Mar 31, 2017 3:27 PM

“When you’ve reached the level of success that I have ….”

———————————————————-

So, Dilfer is a 2x league MVP? Dilfer is a Super Bowl MVP? Dilfer has the highest career QB rating? Dilfer led his team to the playoffs 8 consecutive seasons? Dilfer is the only QB in league history to have a 4+:1 TD to INT ratio? Dilfer has the highest single season QB rating? And who was the QB who threw for 305 yards, 3TD in the Super Bowl vs. the other guy who threw for 153 yards and 1 TD?

By your standards, Trent Dilfer obviously is more successful than Dan Marino and Jim Kelly. Equal to Steve Young. Funny that no one is even jokingly suggesting Dilfer for the HOF. What an outrage.

43. purpleguy says: Mar 31, 2017 3:27 PM

I would much prefer he use Eddie Lacy as a body shape role model.

44. ladymacesq says: Mar 31, 2017 3:31 PM

Rodgers that!

45. srvmustang says: Mar 31, 2017 3:32 PM

Nofoolnodrool says:
    Mar 31, 2017 3:09 PM

Follow the GOAT for success!

Oh great, just what we,need is more QB’s cheating into their 40’s.

//////

Oh great, just what we need, another troll spewing feces about the best-ever QB.

Get a life.

46. audio2sell says: Mar 31, 2017 3:33 PM

Rodgers will always follow behind Brady

47. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Mar 31, 2017 3:35 PM

Translation, I hope Brady can give me the number to his Brazilian and Italian doctors so they can hook me up with some exotic PEDs too.

48. tqaztec says: Mar 31, 2017 3:36 PM

Shut up and call your mom.

Joe Flacco has as many SB titles as you.

49. bert1913 says: Mar 31, 2017 3:38 PM

you can’t emulate genetics

50. chrisk61 says: Mar 31, 2017 3:45 PM

taking care of my body…

as in…

pumping myself full of brazilian HGH

from giselle’s sources in her home country

that isn’t traceable by US authorities

51. vikingjack73 says: Mar 31, 2017 3:48 PM

I’m sure Aaron Rodgers wants Tom Brady’s body!

Just come out of the closet already, A-Rod!

52. tylawspick6 says: Mar 31, 2017 3:50 PM

idiedpretty says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:27 PM
    Book a room and explore your bodies.
    ==========================

Why is it no surprise that’s coming from a miami fan?

———

Maybe because they are all on the beach on Sundays gawking at each other’s banana hammocks instead of selling out that crappy stadium.

53. tylawspick6 says: Mar 31, 2017 3:52 PM

Just call Gomer’s wife, Aaron. She has the market cornered on Chinese HGH from the recently shut down wing of the Guyer Institute in Indianapolis.

54. mnvikes1961 says: Mar 31, 2017 3:53 PM

nathanp2013 says:
    Mar 31, 2017 3:17 PM
    kenmasters34 says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:58 PM
    Manning’s plan of having HGH sent to his wife isn’t good enough for Rodgers?
    —————————————————————
    All Rodgers needs to do is open up Clay Matthews locker.
    ________

Then the title of this thread would be;

Aaron Rodgers: Clay Matthews is my model for taking care of my protruding forehead.

55. exinsidetrader says: Mar 31, 2017 3:54 PM

Brady is not a vegan, but Kaep is.

56. djvh2 says: Mar 31, 2017 3:54 PM

Now if we can get McCarthy to model himself after Belechick . . .

57. Nofoolnodrool says: Mar 31, 2017 3:55 PM

Get a life.

I have a great one….that does include hero worshipping a man playing a boys game…..and I need a life? Thanks for the chuckle sparky.

58. vegasdestroyer says: Mar 31, 2017 4:06 PM

You only feel as old as the model you are feeling.

59. h0metownzero says: Mar 31, 2017 4:07 PM

This will no doubt extend the career of one of the greatest football players of all time. So nice.

It’s better football.

For better people.

60. rhd366 says: Mar 31, 2017 4:14 PM

Aaron should have been following Brady’s work and eating habits years ago. It’s a little too late at this point.

61. steelcurtainn says: Mar 31, 2017 4:22 PM

Just take some of muscle cheating supplements he takes and you’ll do just fine aaron. He’s good at cheating in everything he does.

62. steelcurtainn says: Mar 31, 2017 4:22 PM

63. tylawspick6 says: Mar 31, 2017 4:26 PM

Joe Flacco has as many SB titles as you.

—-

Except Jump Ball Joe is nowhere near Rodgers’s class.

JBJ also wears a goofy uniform with a goofy emblem on his helmet, so there’s that too.

64. stillabengalsfan says: Mar 31, 2017 4:30 PM

“When you’ve reached the level of success that I have…”

In the last article about Rodgers, I believe I said “is there anyone in the League more arrogant than Aaron Rogers?”

65. ragnarthemagnificent says: Mar 31, 2017 4:31 PM

The comparison stops there

66. eatme2259 says: Mar 31, 2017 4:31 PM

h0metownzero says:
    Mar 31, 2017 4:07 PM

/////////////

Aren’t you a little old for hero worship?

67. gtodriver says: Mar 31, 2017 4:39 PM

Rodgers hasn’t played at a high “level of success” for a full season in years.

He can only “get it up” for a partial season these days.

68. infectorman says: Mar 31, 2017 4:43 PM

Call Dr. Rydze

Stealers*

69. madtowndan says: Mar 31, 2017 4:48 PM

crownofthehelmet said:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:01 PM

“When you’ve reached the level of success that I have ….”

——————————————————–

And yet, with so little success, he’s still more successful than all of the Viking teams ever to take the field……….combined……..over 55 years.

The Barneys just keep lobbing them up there!

70. maust1013 says: Mar 31, 2017 5:02 PM

Nofoolnodrool says:
    Mar 31, 2017 3:55 PM

========================

Another of your supposedly intentional typos?

71. davew128 says: Mar 31, 2017 5:11 PM

variablexonfootball says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:29 PM
    ***************************
    Which is impressive given that he was 36 when he played his last game…

72. stipez says: Mar 31, 2017 5:33 PM

Good luck finding avocado ice cream in Green Bay

73. rc33 says: Mar 31, 2017 5:38 PM

———————————————–
    Mom says go clean your room or you’re gonna get grounded.

74. packinsteel says: Mar 31, 2017 5:43 PM

Good lord alot of you need a hug or something lol. And to that turd saying dilfer is more successful please just stop posting. Rodgers is a very successful QB and if you think he is not then either you are a hater or just dumb as hell.

75. pastabelly says: Mar 31, 2017 5:43 PM

Brady and Rodgers are friends, so it’s no surprise that Rodgers is talking to Brady about this stuff. It’s not vegan though. In any case, good for Rodgers. I don’t know why people don’t like him. I love watching him and, if you remember that Dallas game, you know that he is a great one. In the NFL, you need a supporting cast. I’m a Patriots fan, but I love watching Aaron Rodgers play. He plays the game at its highest level and it’s just fun watching him. I don’t think Brady is more talented. Brady is the smartest, the best competitor, and pretty talented as well. Brady-Rodgers is one Super Bowl that I’d love to see.

76. Nofoolnodrool says: Mar 31, 2017 5:59 PM

Nofoolnodrool says:
    Mar 31, 2017 3:55 PM

========================

Another of your supposedly intentional typos?

Bait, hook, fisher flopping on the bottom of the boat. Glad I made a troll bite……you really need a hobby.

77. beerbratscheese says: Mar 31, 2017 5:59 PM

I love how some correlate individual success with team success. Rodgers has had a huge amount of success in his career. The biggest downfall to his success has been his defense.

Just one example is his first playoff game ever he puts 45 points on the board, but the Cardinals scored 51.

Against the Giants after the 2011 season, he was the Packers leading rusher. He ran seven times picking up seven first downs. Name another QB that can do that. Despite that, the Packers D gave up 37 points, keeping the game out of reach.

Sure Rodgers could have done more in a few playoff games, but he was rarely in the discussion for why they lost.

78. breadmeatcheese says: Mar 31, 2017 6:06 PM

thought his model was ryan braun.

79. pittsburghdamned says: Mar 31, 2017 6:11 PM

Come on PFT !

You really didn’t think to post the famous pre-draft photo of slobby shirtless Brady ???

You struck out on an underhand pitch.

80. pkrlvr says: Mar 31, 2017 6:11 PM

Rodgers hasn’t played at a high “level of success” for a full season in years.

He can only “get it up” for a partial season these days.
    ———
    Yeah, he only lead the league in TD’s last year and was MVP 2 years before that.

81. pkrh8r says: Mar 31, 2017 6:14 PM

tellarperformance says:
    Mar 31, 2017 5:39 PM

I have to chuckle at the shade thrown by Viking trolls at Rodgers, the Packers, Packer fans, the City of Green Bay, the State of Wisconsin, etc., etc., etc.
    —-

its not just viking fans.

but thats all you got

82. babygaga19 says: Mar 31, 2017 6:14 PM

“Oh Tom.” “Oh Aarron.” “The water is warm, should we put our toes in? Tee Hee.”

83. ariani1985 says: Mar 31, 2017 6:21 PM

Dilfer= rogers! Wanna debate any differences?

84. harrisonhits2 says: Mar 31, 2017 6:24 PM

Sad that the only thing Brady’s critics have left is to make up outright lies about hgh and anything else that runs across their tiny little minds.

85. itsfootballfolks says: Mar 31, 2017 6:42 PM

harrisonhits2 says:
    Mar 31, 2017 3:00 PM

To be fair Tom also has Belichick and Rodgers doesn’t.

—————–

From a die hard Pat’s fan comes this comment. Simple objectivity. Got to respect it.

Then again, Rogers might not have been receptive to BB’s constant snarking and cut downs in front of the team in meetings, as I’ve read about, and you have to wonder how team chemistry might or might not suffer.

Maybe Rogers wouldn’t tolerate the coaching like Brady does? Who knows?

It’s a great compliment from one great QB to another.

86. beerbratscheese says: Mar 31, 2017 6:43 PM

ariani1985 says:
    Mar 31, 2017 6:21 PM
    Dilfer= rogers! Wanna debate any differences?
    ————————-

Sure, let’s go through the debate now.

You: Let’s compare Super Bowl rings.

Me: Let’s compare every other aspect of their career.

End debate.

87. A happy green parrot says: Mar 31, 2017 8:04 PM

h0metownzero says:
    Mar 31, 2017 2:13 PM

________________

14th? The NFL record is currently 6.

88. beerbratscheese says: Mar 31, 2017 8:59 PM

A happy green parrot says:
    Mar 31, 2017 8:04 PM

14th? The NFL record is currently 6.
    ————-

Wrong. The Packers have 13 NFL Championships: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, 2010.

89. milkcan44 says: Mar 31, 2017 11:06 PM

This is good offseason therapy for the haters.
    When the season starts, they have to go back to watching their statue pus-arm QBs lob it to the opposite color.

90. scott6141970 says: Apr 1, 2017 4:21 AM

beerbratscheese says:
    Mar 31, 2017 8:59 PM
    A happy green parrot says:
    Mar 31, 2017 8:04 PM

14th? The NFL record is currently 6.
    ————-

===

we all marvel at the championships won with leather helmets and the single wing formation.

91. stellarperformance says: Apr 1, 2017 7:48 AM

Championships should only be counted since 1961, the year the Vikings entered the league. That date goes hand-in-hand with Viking fans’ opinion the world revolves around them.

Even by the convoluted standard the Packers still lead the Vikings 7-0. Enjoy your “donuts” Viking fans. Eat it!

92. beerbratscheese says: Apr 1, 2017 9:34 AM

scott6141970 says:
    Apr 1, 2017 4:21 AM

—————

I see what you’re saying. So when the NFL sets foot in Europe and there’s about 50 teams, and the title is called the World Bowl rather than the Super Bowl, you’ll be saying Super Bowls don’t matter.

I don’t agree with it, but I see it.

93. contra74 says: Apr 1, 2017 2:28 PM

When you’ve reached the level of success that I have…
    —-
    Tom Brady, Eli Manning, and Peyton Manning each have more super bowl wins than Aaron Rodgers yet they don’t talk about their “success” like Aaron does.

What success Aaron? You constantly choke, beg for penalties, and cry when you get touched by a defensive player.

The other 3 QBs I mentioned do none of that.

94. youknowiknowitall says: Apr 1, 2017 2:51 PM

The other 3 QBs I mentioned do none of that.
    ===========
    Eli Manning? NYG sure. But Eli doesn’t belong in ANY conversation discussing the relative successes of Brady, Peyton and Rodgers. Eli is better included in discussing the successes of Dilfer and Flacco.

95. stellarperformance says: Apr 1, 2017 3:18 PM

Whenever I read comments from trolls describing Rodgers or the Packers as chokers, Inget this vision of the Vikings:

If the Packers are simply chokers, the Vikings must be writhing on the ground in the fetal position with abdominal agony, foaming at the mouth and involuntarily crapping their pants.

That’s the only way the comparison could work.

96. gtodriver says: Apr 2, 2017 11:38 AM

beerbratscheese says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Remind me which QB, on the first play from scrimmage in the game, threw an INT that led to the first TD of the game.

May I remind you about the Donald Driver fumble on the Packers second drive that led to the Cardinals second TD of the game.

Remind me who fumbled the ball to allow the Cardinal defense to score the winning TD on the last play of the game.

Hint – it wasn’t Kurt Warner…

Rodgers started the game with a turnover and ended the game with a turnover.

The Packer defense was only fully responsible for 31 points.

The Packer defense also forced a fumble with led to the Packers first TD. So Rodgers benefited from a short field to make the game 17 – 7.

Don’t blame your defense for that loss. When your offense commits 3 times as many turnovers as the opposing team – you will rarely win the game.

97. avengers2014 says: Apr 6, 2017 8:36 PM

Im an Aaron Rodgers is a phenominal QB. A first ballot HOFer IMO. No doubt.

But the biggest roadblock for him to continue to play at a high level when he is Brady’s age is the fact that his athleticism is why he is a great QB.

Brady is able to do it because the biggest part of what makes him great is his mind. He sees things so much faster then any QB in the league. It is his ability to anticipate and to break down the information he sees on the field in a nanosecond.

The problem for Rodgers is the body goes long before the mind.

Not saying he can’t do it. He very well may and I hope he does!

But while the way Brady takes care of himself is a big part of his longevity, the biggest reason is athleticism was never what made Brady great!

98. phillyfinsfan says: Apr 6, 2017 9:45 PM

Now we know what his wandering eye was looking for.