Chris Long: “I have a lot left”

Getty Images

Last year Chris Long was cut by the Rams in a move that signaled the end could be near for the veteran defensive end. Now he has a Super Bowl ring from his year with the Patriots and a new contract with the Eagles, and he says he’s nowhere near the end.

I feel like I have a lot left, I really do,” Long said today in Philadelphia. “There was a time when I was injured and playing really bad and cut, rightfully so, that I wasn’t sure what my future in football was. But I was really lucky to take that step and for Coach [Bill] Belichick to take a chance on me, and I found out that I still had a lot in the tank. I didn’t miss a practice, I didn’t miss a game last year, and that was something that I was very proud of, and was able to play and I think at a pretty high level.”

Long said the defense in Philadelphia is a lot like the scheme he played in with the Rams, and he knows he can be a good fit.

“If you watch what I did in St. Louis for eight years, that was more like what we do here,” he said. “So schematically there’s a big difference. I’m just lucky to find a place that I think I can at least compete to try to have a role.”

The 32-year-old Long sounds confident he has a few more good years left in him.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Chris Long: “I have a lot left””
  1. doublebase says: Mar 31, 2017 6:26 PM

No you don’t, you ran out of gas after your third premseason practice and never pulled back into the station for a refill. I know, I watched it.

2. fanfrommontreal says: Mar 31, 2017 6:28 PM

Good luck in Philly and thanks for last year.

3. chickenrondelet says: Mar 31, 2017 6:35 PM

Although a defensive end with tattoos brings back bad memories of Jason Babin, I hope Long can contribute something more than that fraud.

4. tylawspick6 says: Mar 31, 2017 6:44 PM

thanks for a great season as a subrusher only

he will be exposed over extended and with a weaker
    team and coach

good luck, though

5. douchebigelow says: Mar 31, 2017 6:58 PM

Congrats on getting your ring. You’ll never sniff one in that cesspool known as Philly. Nineteen Sixty.

6. belichickdominatedjoemontana says: Mar 31, 2017 7:01 PM

Great season Long. Your play to get that holding call and kick Falcons out of field goal range was huge.

All the best the rest of your career.

7. snake11s says: Mar 31, 2017 7:03 PM

Go on and take the money and run, he should be kissing everyone’s behind in NE for getting him a ring and a fat contract.
    People don’t forget,,,just saying.

8. elrock7 says: Mar 31, 2017 7:04 PM

should be a petition to keep dbags like tylawspick6 off theses boards. He couldn’t participate in an intelligent, unbiased football discussion if his life depended on it.

Is there nothing else to do in mommy’s basement?

9. thirdand43 says: Mar 31, 2017 7:10 PM

Chris, you are done.

10. itsfootballfolks says: Mar 31, 2017 7:22 PM

As a fan of football, and a Patriots fan, I wish him the best. Always liked his Dad, and easily liked him. Thanks and good luck.

11. VenerableAxiom says: Mar 31, 2017 7:31 PM

NE former players never move on to a new team without a good lashing from the homers.

12. trubroncfan07 says: Mar 31, 2017 7:31 PM

Yea he has about 6-10 plays a game as a back up.

13. TheWizard says: Mar 31, 2017 7:32 PM

If he had that much left, I don’t think Bill would have let him out of town so easily.

14. rje49 says: Mar 31, 2017 7:32 PM

elrock7 says:
    Mar 31, 2017 7:04 PM
    *********
    99% of PFT comments are biased. I’ve read a whole lot worse comments here. I get sick of reading the ones like school yard talk. You know, like “cleverly” making fun of players’ names and such.

15. Nofoolnodrool says: Mar 31, 2017 7:38 PM

thanks for a great season as a subrusher only

he will be exposed over extended and with a weaker
    team and coach

good luck, though

10 11

You are a hero when you play for the Pat’s , but when you leave you are a scumbag….. ya, sound right for New England fans….the most immature in sports.

16. aliveguy24 says: Mar 31, 2017 7:40 PM

Better, or else the eagles should’ve kept barwin

17. patsfaninus says: Mar 31, 2017 7:59 PM

Good luck in Philly. New England Patriots fans will forever hold you in high regard.

18. thetooloftools says: Mar 31, 2017 8:05 PM

“If you watch what I did in St. Louis for eight years, that was more like what we do here,” he said. – What.. get hurt again?

19. staffordisbetterthanyourteamsqb says: Mar 31, 2017 8:08 PM

elrock7 says:
    Mar 31, 2017 7:04 PM

Is there nothing else to do in mommy’s basement?

========================================

I second that. Couldn’t agree more

20. weepingjebus says: Mar 31, 2017 8:36 PM

I’m just glad to see the Pats haters finally trickling back in. That SB comeback really left a dent, it’s been like two months.

21. kissbillsrings says: Mar 31, 2017 8:56 PM

Wish Chris the best….was great watching him play his role as a situational pass rusher…
    Think that’s why he was able to stay healthy all year & play at a fairly high level….I think he’ll find that the more snaps he plays the more his body will start to break down…. I would have thought he’d understand that & be content playing for a coach that knows best how to utilize his abilities to the best & play for a perennial contender…
    Will be interesting to see how he holds up over the season playing more snaps..

22. THX 138 says: Mar 31, 2017 9:27 PM

Waste of money. Put a fork in him, he’s done.

23. factman1000 says: Mar 31, 2017 9:28 PM

He was completely useless last year. He’s done

24. chargerdillon says: Mar 31, 2017 9:57 PM

I can only think if this guy really had a lot left he’d want to have it with a team that could put him in a position to win a championship. That would be playing for the best Coach/QB in football.

What he really wants is another big money contract.

25. ron69 says: Mar 31, 2017 10:19 PM

He’s got so much of his mother….

26. polapea says: Mar 31, 2017 10:35 PM

Solid signing, good veteran locker room presence that the Eagles need now that Barwin’s gone.

27. dj5501 says: Mar 31, 2017 11:55 PM

I wish him much success in Philly. My only concern is he left new England to get more playing time and I don’t blame him. However the reason he may have contributed all season long is due to limited snap counts. Bb is a master at plugging players into the right situations. I hope I’m wrong. But regardless thx for the great season you gave new England and good luck with your new team.

28. dudeicle says: Apr 1, 2017 12:13 AM

If Bill figured he could handle more snaps he would have given him more snaps. Wish him all the best in Philly.

29. oddte says: Apr 1, 2017 1:52 AM

I like Chris Long, it was fun watching him play this year and he made crucial plays on the biggest stage, even if he was a step slower than Hightower. He’s worth about exactly what he’s getting paid, in my opinion. People saying that he is done are just hating, he’s still earning over 2 million/year.

30. amishcowboy says: Apr 1, 2017 8:17 AM

At least he got his ring last season

31. dpdonny says: Apr 1, 2017 9:17 AM

We loved you while we had you, Chris. Glad you got a ring and your Dad, also beloved in Boston, was able to enjoy that as well.

Good luck in Philly.

32. jchemengr says: Apr 1, 2017 9:57 AM

Situational player. Not enough left in the tank to play every down. New England was a great fit. Hope it works out, but I don’t see him playing more than 30-40% of the snaps.

33. harrisonhits2 says: Apr 1, 2017 11:07 AM

He played well last year for the Pats but didn’t like the more limited role they gave him compared to what he was used to.

Understand and respect his choice to move on. Seems like a good guy in the locker room and works hard.

34. bearssuck says: Apr 1, 2017 11:24 AM

This guy couldn’t hold his dads gym bag!

35. mojodoa says: Apr 1, 2017 11:47 AM

You’re done alright. Just enough left in the tank for one more payday thanks to the Eagles.

36. 1phillyphan says: Apr 1, 2017 1:19 PM

Why all the hate? Sure, Long isn’t the player he used to be but he is stepping into a nice situation for him. The Patriots are no doubt a better team the my Birds but the Eagles do have a better situation on the D Line. Playing next to Fletcher Cox will get him plenty of one on one’s. He will also rotate with Vinny Curry and Chris Long will help him blossum. . Long was brought in as a locker room leader. He still has some in the tank, but he was brought in to mentor as well

37. 1captain1 says: Apr 1, 2017 1:47 PM

Nice payday, man.
    More than most of us make.