CBS confirms Tony Romo as No. 1 analyst, Phil Simms’ future unclear

Getty Images

Tony Romo has supplanted Phil Simms as the No. 1 analyst for the NFL on CBS, leaving the future of Phil Simms up in the air.

In a statement announcing that Romo will team with Jim Nantz this season, CBS said it will try to find a landing spot for Simms, but it’s unclear what that spot will be.

“As we welcome Tony, we want to acknowledge Phil Simms who served as our lead NFL analyst for nearly 20 years,” CBS Sports Chairman Sean McManus said. “Phil has been a very important part of our coverage since the NFL returned to CBS in 1998. His strong opinions, coupled with his tremendous knowledge and passion for the National Football League, has created a unique broadcasting style making him one of the best analysts to ever call the game. We are discussing with Phil his future role with CBS Sports. We cannot thank him enough for the way he has represented himself and CBS Sports during his tenure as CBS’s lead NFL analyst.”

It’s possible that Simms could move into the studio role recently vacated by Tony Gonzalez. It’s also possible that Simms could continue as a game analyst, just not as part of the network’s No. 1 team. And it’s possible that Simms and CBS will go their separate ways.

In any event, Simms — whose analysis is frequently criticized on social media — will no longer be calling the top games on CBS. That’s now Romo’s job.

Permalink 94 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
94 Responses to “CBS confirms Tony Romo as No. 1 analyst, Phil Simms’ future unclear”
  1. crookedstick says: Apr 4, 2017 3:11 PM

Too bad Nantz isn’t going too.

2. tommymomoney says: Apr 4, 2017 3:11 PM

Phil Simms fired. Makes my day.

3. jssebastian2014 says: Apr 4, 2017 3:13 PM

If you can’t win a Super Bowl, you might as well win the job of a Super Bowl winner.

It’s like the same thing, right?

4. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Apr 4, 2017 3:14 PM

BOOMER & CARTON & SIMMS

5. rdrs68 says: Apr 4, 2017 3:14 PM

Landing spot for Simms? How about the unemployment line?

6. glac1 says: Apr 4, 2017 3:16 PM

Why give someone with no experience a spot on the so called number one team?

7. niners816 says: Apr 4, 2017 3:16 PM

Well, at least Romo will call them the Redskins. Simms is such a sellout. Later, bruh.

8. ack1966 says: Apr 4, 2017 3:17 PM

wow…i don’t run a network but i think I’d have put him in a regional spot for at least a year..what does jerry get a cbs sweatshirt..he’ll want something as he owns tony rome

9. phooteballs says: Apr 4, 2017 3:19 PM

“…his tremendous knowledge…” That’s laugh out loud ridiculous. I could only wish my employer would lie like that for me.

10. kmdp4 says: Apr 4, 2017 3:20 PM

Tony Romo has the personality of a Turnip no wonder CBS coverage is crap.

11. brandonj21 says: Apr 4, 2017 3:20 PM

BYE ! PHIL-LECIA !!

12. bootguy says: Apr 4, 2017 3:21 PM

________________________________________

There isn’t a studio in the world big enough to hold the egos of Simms , Rome and Esiason at the SAME TIME !!!

13. mag925 says: Apr 4, 2017 3:21 PM

# 1 spot never worked in the booth no wonder most of these guys suck they just hire a name and we get stuck with them

14. hishighness says: Apr 4, 2017 3:21 PM

Wow. they replace the 2nd best commentator in the NFL, after Al Michaels, with TONY FREAKIN ROMO?!? Is this a late April Fools joke?

If I were Phil Simms I’d be fuming.

15. OaklandLosAngelesLasVegasRaiders says: Apr 4, 2017 3:22 PM

I didn’t realize so many people hated Simms?? I thought he was great.

16. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 4, 2017 3:22 PM

The Cowboys wish him good luck, and said their only regret was that they weren’t able to squeeze a draft choice or two out of CBS for his services.

17. bullcharger says: Apr 4, 2017 3:23 PM

I think he goes to the studio or just does Inside the NFL as his only gig.

18. jgg1 says: Apr 4, 2017 3:26 PM

Romo was not going to Hall of Fame even if he played another year and won a super bowl so this is a very good move for him. Hopefully not like Simms he will keep his strong opinions to himself. Hopefully we’ll never see Simms doing a game again!!!!!

19. bullcharger says: Apr 4, 2017 3:26 PM

I never understood the hatred for Simms. He was decent in my opinion. Fouts is the guy where I need to mute the TV and put on the radio broadcast.

Hope Simms goes into the studio.

20. weepingjebus says: Apr 4, 2017 3:26 PM

Hardly a Simms fan, but did anyone screen test Romo or are they just assuming this will work out somehow? He always seemed to be in the 75-80 IQ range to me.

“I think Dak knows I have his back, and I think I know he has mine.”

21. nyctraffic says: Apr 4, 2017 3:28 PM

Anyone notice the parallel here? Unproven rookie takes an oft-criticized, long-term veteran’s job, then speculation begins about whether the veteran will remain demoted or given a chance to work for another organization.

22. feckyerlife says: Apr 4, 2017 3:28 PM

Bonnie Bernstein is correct, this move makes no sense at all. it might end up being a total bomb for cbs

23. rcali says: Apr 4, 2017 3:29 PM

Not sure how I did it, but I’ve some how figured out how to completely ignore the announcers, mainly because what they have to say does not help me with my wagering.

24. bobthebillsfan says: Apr 4, 2017 3:30 PM

I enjoy Phil’s analysis during the games. His commentary in not for the football novice. He is great on “Inside the NFL” on…Showtime!

25. djrando7 says: Apr 4, 2017 3:30 PM

There was actually a petition going around to have Simms no longer call Broncos games. He favored any team that played the Broncos. His dislike for the Broncos was almost as evident as Dan Dierdorf before he retired.

26. udub says: Apr 4, 2017 3:30 PM

He’ll hurt his back during broadcaster’s boot camp and Peyton Manning will be in the booth Week 1

27. truninerfan49 says: Apr 4, 2017 3:30 PM

OaklandLosAngelesLasVegasRaiders says:

I didn’t realize so many people hated Simms?? I thought he was great.
    —————————————————————

He was a great alternative to Ambien

28. QB Film Room says: Apr 4, 2017 3:31 PM

i dont get why people are blasting Simms on here. He was pretty good. Did he get a bit rambling at times yes, but he was still insightful. he was good!!

29. bullcharger says: Apr 4, 2017 3:31 PM

kmdp4 says:
    Apr 4, 2017 3:20 PM
    Tony Romo has the personality of a Turnip no wonder CBS coverage is crap.

—————-

Nance is world class. CBS coverage has been as good as NBC and way better than FOX or ESPN generally. I can barely stomach watching NFC games because of how bad the coverage usually is, but I do think Buck and Aikman did a great job with the Super Bowl specifically.

30. medialovesthecowboys says: Apr 4, 2017 3:32 PM

Simms sucks.

We all know it.
    CBS knows it.
    If it wasn’t the case Romo wouldn’t be replacing him.

If you’re bad at your job, you get replaced. That’s reality.

Moving on.

31. iamkillerfin says: Apr 4, 2017 3:32 PM

probably should have got rid of Nantz he sucks too!!!

32. jmdanieli says: Apr 4, 2017 3:32 PM

I am really going to miss counting all the times Sims said “he goes” during the broadcast.

33. steelpenguin6687 says: Apr 4, 2017 3:33 PM

After listening to Simms blather on for so many seasons, I can see how this will play out. Simms will spin it into that he was going to retire, he just hadn’t publicly announced it yet…that’s why CBS landed Romo. Just my opinion, but he always came across as being full of himself…

34. nhpats says: Apr 4, 2017 3:38 PM

Simms is a SB winning QB…..Romo has two playoff wins in his entire mediocre career….. Bad move by the network.

35. bradygirl12 says: Apr 4, 2017 3:40 PM

What does it say about the quality of your work when you are replaced by a guy with ZERO experience?

36. wib22 says: Apr 4, 2017 3:46 PM

Why give someone with no experience a spot on the so called number one team?

39 1

****

Well, the POTUS….

37. ricosauze says: Apr 4, 2017 3:48 PM

This move is being done for one reason & one reason only…
    DUH, RATINGS!!!

38. megnailsit says: Apr 4, 2017 3:49 PM

Simms has offered very little, if not being flat out wrong for years. But giving his slot to someone with no broadcast experience is a giant leap of faith.

39. swede700 says: Apr 4, 2017 3:55 PM

I guess CBS thinks that since we, in America, can elect a guy with zero experience to the most powerful position in the world that they can hire a guy with zero experience to their most important role too.

40. cardinealsfan20 says: Apr 4, 2017 3:58 PM

Simms was always pro owner. He never supported the players in anything. Concussions? Simms: “Players should be tougher, like I was”. Salaries? Simms: “Players should be more concerned about winning than getting paid”. He was a stooge.

41. nard100 says: Apr 4, 2017 4:01 PM

This makes no sense. If he is your #1 analyst, why would you boot him for a guy with no experience. There must be more to this than what we have been told.

42. rickypoo1969 says: Apr 4, 2017 4:02 PM

Thank the football gods!!! This news fills my heart with joy and makes me want to sing. 🎼Ding dong Phil Simms is dead……

43. newjerseygiants says: Apr 4, 2017 4:06 PM

Now get rid of Jim “have you tasted my wine brand” Nantz and all is good with the world. Well, that’s until Romo falls flat on his face. And then, the world will be a further yet better place. Romo = Montana…..just can’t do it at the mic.

44. xenova1 says: Apr 4, 2017 4:07 PM

Phil Simms was bad. I called him Captain Obvious. He talked to me like I didn’t understand football or he was broadcasting to a class of high school girls. He added no insight into the game or any particular play. He would say that the losing team just needs to get more positive plays. Duh.

45. umassdebatingteam says: Apr 4, 2017 4:11 PM

Simms sacked.

46. pancaketaco says: Apr 4, 2017 4:15 PM

…and Boom goes the Dynamite…

47. 205diamonds says: Apr 4, 2017 4:15 PM

Untested, meh, let’s put him in the top spot.

48. genericcommenter says: Apr 4, 2017 4:19 PM

I liked Simms as a player, not so much as a broadcaster. Back in the day, he was one of the first surprise salary cap casualties, at least that I remember. Though he was going on 39, he was coming off a very good season when he was due something like $2.6 million. The Giants decided that was way too much with Dave Brown and Kent Graham waiting in the wings.

Let’s hope CBS’s decision to cut the veteran for the young guy works out better than the Giants in the spring of 1994.

49. theright0pinion says: Apr 4, 2017 4:21 PM

First EA Sports booted Simms from Madden 17 and now Simms to be kicked to the curb by CBS… it’s like Christmas for football fans!

50. kemp13 says: Apr 4, 2017 4:30 PM

Kind of strange that Romo gets the #1 slot with zero experience. Risky, even. People who are so happy Simms is gone may not be so thrilled by Week 8! You never know.

51. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 4, 2017 4:32 PM

Simms hears there is an opening for a veteran backup QB in Dallas.

52. screwmemean says: Apr 4, 2017 4:33 PM

Romo will be reduced to dog commercials in five years. Maybe a Gomer Pyle reboot movie. Sad.

53. screwmemean says: Apr 4, 2017 4:35 PM

If Simms was so bad, why didnt you have the job? Do you even have a job? Doubtful!

54. jackedupboonie says: Apr 4, 2017 4:36 PM

CBS will now run promos for upcoming games with…action shots of Romo as QB#1 for prime time game commentating.

55. meadowlandssports says: Apr 4, 2017 4:38 PM

Gruden was dropped into the big chair at MNF with “no experience” and is now about to start his 9th season. Don’t think CBS hasn’t thought Romo through.

56. mybrunoblog says: Apr 4, 2017 4:41 PM

As Boomer & Carton might say “Screw Phil Simms”.

57. rferrai57 says: Apr 4, 2017 4:41 PM

There is no bigger butt kisser than Nantz. The way he swoons on Kraft, Brady and the patriots is amazing. Keep Simms replace Nantz and put Romo in annoucers school for the year

58. laserw says: Apr 4, 2017 4:46 PM

I don’t care what that clown does – just so long as I never have to listen to him talk about himself or act like he is the God of football – he was never good and was a constant target of mine with repeated (and I mean repeated) emails to CBS about how worthless he was.

59. therealjr says: Apr 4, 2017 4:52 PM

People that think Simms was good should have had the pleasure of following the Twitter feed during the games.

Now let’s see about swapping out Joe Buck for Gus Johnson.

60. fordbw says: Apr 4, 2017 4:56 PM

Strange choice by CBS. Romo is bland and unopinionated. Those are generally not qualities you seek in your #1 color analyst.

61. agent7x6 says: Apr 4, 2017 4:59 PM

Phil Simms could have been replaced by a can of kidney beans.

62. phinsfanjoz says: Apr 4, 2017 5:14 PM

Would’ve been some kind of poetic justice if he had replaced Joe Buck on Fox, instead.

All the best to Romo, who rightfully or wrongfully, won’t be able to shake meme-status for quite some time.

63. maiphatdong says: Apr 4, 2017 5:15 PM

JOe Buck next please!

64. chieftaindawg says: Apr 4, 2017 5:26 PM

It’s just a business Phil

65. skinsdiehard says: Apr 4, 2017 5:29 PM

Sad to see two ex-Cowboys QB’s on #1 broadcasting teams: (Aikman/Buck at Fox and Romo/Nantz at CBS). I think I will mute my TV.

66. docraider says: Apr 4, 2017 5:43 PM

This is a mistake.

67. nyneal says: Apr 4, 2017 5:49 PM

I liked Phil Simms when he first started. But he increasingly became full of himself and often contradicted himself.
    The truth is though, they can all can grow old after a while. Case in point, John Madden. I liked him as well as any announcer of any sport I ever heard in the beginning. he was funny and he knew what he was talking about. But he let his schtick become his main focus over time and he really wore on me. I loved his partner all those years, though — Pat Summerall. Pat understood that talking too much is the worst thing a broadcaster can do.
    For my money, here are the best announcers I ever heard in my favorite sports:
    1. NFL — Ray Scott and Curt Gowdy. They were the best as far as I’m concerned because they knew the game was what was important, not themselves or some over-blown statistic. I loved Pat Summerall, too.
    2. Major League Baseball — Mel Allen on tv, Harry Kallas on radio.
    3. NBA — Al McGuire. Al was just great. He knew the game inside and out and his voice and analysis was always perfect. I haven’t heard anyone since who does the NBA who can come close to him. Marv Albert was great, too.
    4. Boxing — Don Dunphy on radio, Howard Cosell on tv. Dunphy was a legend, having called the greatest fights in boxing history dating back to the 1930’s and Cosell could make a boring fight seem great.
    5. Hockey — I have no clue because I’m not a big hockey fan, but the Al Michaels call of the 1980 winter Olympic hockey games and in particular his call of the huge upset when the U.S. defeated the Soviet Union for the chance to play the Swedes for the gold medal, is one of the greatest calls in sports history. Who can ever forget his “do you believe in miracles!!??” call at the end of that game? Ironically, I have never been a big Michaels fan in the NFL or baseball.
    My least favorite NFL announcers today are Joe Buck and Ian Eagle. They are both so full of themselves they probably have mirrors in the booth so they can look at themselves.
    But my absolute least favorite announcers in any sport at any time are the NY Yankees radio team — John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman. Horrible doesn’t begin to tell how lousy they are. I’d rather put myself in a phone booth with a jack hammer than listen to them.

68. orangeraider says: Apr 4, 2017 5:51 PM

Get rid of Nance, Aikman, Buck and those useless sideline reporters

69. midnightcusk says: Apr 4, 2017 5:59 PM

The price for Jimmy G just went up a pick or two.

70. sychosam28 says: Apr 4, 2017 6:02 PM

Goes to show how bad analysts are these day when someone who has never done it is working with the number one team doing the top game of the week.

71. sychosam28 says: Apr 4, 2017 6:05 PM

Al McGuire said the dream team wouldn’t win gold at the olympics and said it over and over again. I hardly call that perfect, maybe perfectly stupid and inaccurate.

72. jag1959 says: Apr 4, 2017 6:14 PM

Why kick Simms to the curb and install an untested Romo in his seat when no one would think twice about letting Romo grow into the role while Simms was still under contract? Whose corn flakes did Simms urinate on?

73. drednot says: Apr 4, 2017 6:21 PM

glac1 says:
    Apr 4, 2017 3:16 PM
    Why give someone with no experience a spot on the so called number one team?
    _______________________________________

LOL…young pups. They did it for Madden too when he retired from coaching. He and Summeral were one of the best, if not the best broadcast team ever!

74. dirtysouthironmen says: Apr 4, 2017 6:23 PM

Can Simms replace Collinsworth please?

75. rje49 says: Apr 4, 2017 6:24 PM

Two thoughts-
    One, I pay much more attention to the game itself than the announcer and “analyst”.
    Two, Romo jumps into the booth as #1 analyst with no experience?

76. rainsarge says: Apr 4, 2017 7:34 PM

Why do people not like Phil? I could understand getting rid of Collinsworth.

77. jag1959 says: Apr 4, 2017 7:45 PM

drednot says:
    Apr 4, 2017 6:21 PM

__________________

Madden was a HC and known good communicator but he still spent a couple of years doing ‘C’ then ‘B’ level games before he was paired with Summeral on the ‘A’ team. I distinctly recall him being paired with a play by play guy named Gary Bender. LOL at young pups indeed

78. MichaelEdits says: Apr 4, 2017 8:00 PM

Who saw “His strong opinions” but read it as “His wrong opinions”?

79. sb36champsfan says: Apr 4, 2017 8:40 PM

Look, Simms had to go. His analysis was never that strong, but had become embarrassingly bad. But what exactly has Tony Romo ever done to suggest that he should be a number one guy? Anything? I mean, I get it. They took a flyer. He’ll either be great (he won’t be), or he’ll go back to football and CBS can claim it was because he just wanted to play, not that they passed over a bunch of people who have traveled EVERY WEEK for years and made their bones for an unproven commodity based solely on the fact that he was in the news cycle for a decade only because he got injured a lot. Honestly, I feel like the NFL is the collapse of Rome right now. Every facet is in decay.

80. 'boys4life says: Apr 4, 2017 8:54 PM

I’ve heard Romo give many interviews. He has the personality of a dried sponge.

81. meximyke says: Apr 4, 2017 9:32 PM

Romo will get hurt on the first game he broadcasts! I would not work for the Communist BS propaganda!!

82. tonebones says: Apr 4, 2017 9:37 PM

I watch football for the video, not the audio, so I couldn’t care less. I wish both Simms and Romo the best of luck. But it’s pretty obvious these announcers get picked for their names, not their abilities. I’m sure there are hundreds of awesome play by play guys who never played in the NFL.

83. TD Hawk says: Apr 4, 2017 9:53 PM

Two on-air masters of the visually obvious, Simms and Aikman. They know the game entirely, but talk to us like we’re idiots, while also misusing words. Silence is better.

84. patsfan2884 says: Apr 4, 2017 10:07 PM

Hey Simms Don’t Let The Door Hit You In Your Deflated A**cheeks On Your Way Out You Pompous Fraud

85. brettfavreisapacker4ever says: Apr 4, 2017 10:49 PM

Just think how Dan Fouts or Rich Gannon feel, both are better color guys than Simms.
    They get passed over by a rookie TV personality ??

86. killitandeatit says: Apr 4, 2017 11:16 PM

Romo must have knocked it out of the park on his auditions. R-E-L-A-X… Sims has been my least favorite analyst.I’m so happy he is toast and I will be looking forward to a fresh face come football season !

87. exhelodrvr says: Apr 4, 2017 11:34 PM

Announcers don’t usually make a difference in whether or not people tune in for a particular game. At least for the first season, some people will watch the games because of Romo, so this will be a ratings win for the network.

88. riland33 says: Apr 5, 2017 12:48 AM

romo will fumble the mike quickly– he sucks at everything he does –then he’ll break his jaw.
    why the adoration for a do nothing?

89. gigem20 says: Apr 5, 2017 3:10 AM

I’m not a Simms fan but I wonder if CBS is considering keeping him on for the Thursday Night package and using Romo just on Sundays.

It’s interesting that if Romo is doing color for Thursday’s and Sunday’s he actually be on the road and away from his family more than he would have if he kept playing. When CBS’s part of the Thursday night package kicks in, he’ll be on the road from Wednesday to Sunday/Monday – not exactly a lot of time for the family.

90. screwmemean says: Apr 5, 2017 6:06 AM

Well, this move hopefully will improve the CBS ratings as the entire state of Texas will now be watching. No one else much.

HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS?? Gag, snore, vomit, I’ll pull your top down for $10. I wanna be your War Daddy!

91. drednot says: Apr 5, 2017 6:27 AM

jag1959…I stand corrected sir, Thanks!

92. eddiea25 says: Apr 5, 2017 7:02 AM

Where do network big shots get their brains? Tony Romo has never been a broadcaster, and he gets a top job? This is going to backfire bad and quick. Remember that idiot on Monday Night Football , Dennis Miller? It rivals that.

93. wolverineinnc says: Apr 5, 2017 9:02 AM

Could not stomach Simms. Huge ego, irritating voice, master of the obvious or just plain wrong pronouncements. Good riddance! As for Romo, we’ll see. Nance will help him grow into the job. Hopefully….

94. TheDPR says: Apr 5, 2017 11:52 AM

Simms provides color commentary (which is a completely different job from play-by-play, for the Nantz and Buck haters out there) as if he’s being paid by the word. He makes the most simplistic of opinions complicated, seemingly to make himself look like he’s smarter than us or better connected than us. He loves prefacing his comments by explaining his weekly preparation and all the football stars he spoke with. “When I talked with Aaron Rodgers this week at practice he told me about that play!”

Big deal, Phil. We get it. You knew it was coming, you hard-working genius. That information does exactly zero for our enjoyment or insight into the game.