Report: Tony Romo heads to CBS, expected to replace Phil Simms

Getty Images

Tony Romo has drawn interest from multiple TV networks, but he has reportedly already decided which one he’ll work for in 2017.

Romo will retire from the NFL and work for CBS this season, SportsBusiness Journal reports.

According to the report, Romo is expected to replace Phil Simms as the commentator on the No. 1 broadcast pairing. Romo and Jim Nantz will work the top CBS game on most Sunday afternoons, although there are apparently questions about whether Romo, as a rookie broadcaster, will be prepared to handle double duty in the weeks when CBS has Thursday night games. The NFL has told its Thursday night broadcast partners that they need to put their No. 1 team on Thursday nights.

It is unclear whether Simms will be demoted to the No. 2 team on CBS, or whether he could be out at CBS altogether.

136 responses to “Report: Tony Romo heads to CBS, expected to replace Phil Simms

1. Two Wins
    No Romo to the Texans- broken 37 y.o. with no notable playoff success is not what they need. need to see what they have in Savage.

And won’t have to listen to Phil Simms as much.

2. I am open to Romo even as a rookie making rookie mistakes as long as I need not hear Phil 🙂

3. I think its a good move because one more bad hid tohis back and Romo would become an invalid. Hell the last hit on him wasn’t even a hit and he went down like he was shot out of a cannon.

4. Simms is the driest saltiest broadcaster in the business. Having said that I have a hard time buying they will replace him with a rookie that has never broadcast a game (LIVE on national TV) in his life.

Then again this is the era of incompetence so maybe they will?

5. The only thing worse than Phil Simms is his son Chris. That guy thinks he’s Mr. Football yet he said Tom Brady wasn’t even a Top 5 quarterback anymore before last season. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

6. Thank you, Jesus.

Not having to listen to that jerk Phil Simms talk about himself is a blessing.

I’ve constantly contacted CBS to report how awful Simms is and that he needs to be fired.

Maybe Simms could be a locker room reporter where he can stand in front of a mirror and give us a play by play.

7. I was hoping he would take out Collinsworth. Cris has that combination of arrogance and “Aw Shucks” that completely turns me off!

8. And Broncos fans across the land rejoice… YESSS!

It took CBS long enough. Simms should have been canned a long time ago…

9. As a Denver Broncos fan, phil’s devotion ranks right up there with playoff berths and victories. Consistently biased, poor quality commentary and this came many years too late. Tony would have to. E a step up. Any Sesame Street character might be.

10. There should be little concern with Romo handling the pressure of 2 games a week when being mentored be Nantz, arguably the top sportscaster ever.

11. Never liked Simms, he was a master of stating the obvious and never really had any good insights that said anything to me. He is easily replaced

12. While we are changing things, let’s enforce the unwritten rule that you can’t cover a game for a team you have played for. Used to be this was enforced.

I can’t take Troy Barkman covering another Cowpie game where he is so biased and oblivious to what is really happening.

13. I wonder how much Jerry paid him to retire? He stood to make quite a bit by being released. And the Cowboys were set to have over 19 mil in dead money by doing so.

14. I love Phil Simms and his smooth sense of humor that flies right over the heads of a lot of the bumpkins that read pft.

15. Fan boys, make a long list of EVERYBODY you hate in the NFL and tell us why you spend so much of your life watching it, reading about it, posting about it, and dreaming about it. You guys are hypocrites and if you know so much, why aren’t you employed by the NFL? LOL at fan boy expert army!

16. I am no Simms fan but for all the folks doing hand stands at the thought of him being replaced by Romo be careful what you wish for. I remember looking forward to listening to Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice and Joe Montana too, at least until we actually did.

17. I can only imagine Romo choking while calling the 4th quarter of a game.

“He just threw a perfect homeru.. i mean goal.. i mean a great 3 point…. “

18. I’ve got no love for Simms, but I’ve not heard a word out of Romo’s mouth yet.

I’ll hold off my celebration of Simm’s departure for a bit.

19. daninms says:
    Apr 4, 2017 11:17 AM
    Simms doesn’t bother me as much. If it were Buck/Aikman then I’d be happy. I go out of my way not to listen to those two.
    ***********************************
    Surely you can’t be serious.

20. Not sure why Houston fans are celebrating not getting Romo. You all have nothing right now. Even a broken down 37 year old with two playoff appearances is better than what you have.

21. So much acrimony for Simms. I actually like him. He’s better than Gruden (who loves everyone so he gives no decent analysis). I’m sure Simms will find a place if Romo replaces him.

22. Simms: Jim, this is a big third down!

Jim: (Clears throat) Right, Phil. OK, first and ten from the 48.

No one is going to miss that guy.

23. Surprising.

And I’m not sure Romo would be an upgrade over Phil Simms (many people seem to have a problem with him, but he’s not that bad).

24. A hand puppet could’ve replaced Phil Simms and I would’ve been equally as excited.

25. .
    It’s easier for him to do AFC games. There won’t be the instant cry of Cowboys favoritism.

26. every time a broadcaster retires or is demoted it seems everyone praises that and says that broadcaster was terrible. which broadcasters does everyone like? i honestly can say that i very rarely even pay attention to the broadcasters.

27. thetooloftools says:
    Apr 4, 2017 11:13 AM
    One ex Cowboy in a broadcast booth is plenty already.
    ================================

Don’t forget Daryl Johnston. Romo makes three Cowboys for your Sunday listening pleasure!

28. I don’t mind Phil Simms.

Chris Simms is the problem.

There should be an FCC rule requiring commentators to have human-level IQ.

Anything above “baboon” would eliminate Chris Simms.

29. This is surprising. Typically, such offers are not made by the studios without hours of mock trial telecasts. Remember Joe Montana in the booth? He was horrible.

30. Thank you CBS for finally recognizing and taking care of this. Simms is unlistenable. Been saying it for years and wondering how he continues to have the job.

31. Not sure why everyone is hating on Sims, I don’t need a commentator to constantly pat my team on the back. No way Tony can replace him with no experience.

32. Who is your favorite NFL announcer of all time? Mine has to be Howard Cosell. That pompous, arrogant gas bag was sheer entertainment in the ways he constantly shot both his feet off. I had the fortune of sitting behind him once during MNF. MAN, the guy could put away the hard liquor during a game!

Prolly the GOAT Analyst was John Madden. Listening to him was like being with your best football buddy in a bar. He was pretty awesome!

33. Great another player in the booth when most of them suck already.Do TV execs every watch games?

34. Simms is brutally awful, but not sure how they put Romo on the #1 team when he’s never done it.

I think Mayock is one of the better analysts on games. Not afraid to be critical and talks X’s and O’s.

35. I’d take Simms over Collinsworth, Aikman, Buck, or Fouts any day. Often times it seems announcers are like politicians, the longer they are there the worse they become. The NFL Network needs new blood too. I wish they would have more former defensive players in those seats. Someone like Bruschi would be great.

36. The only guy I truly dislike is Dan Fouts. There was bad blood both on the field and off with Denver. His strong bias against Denver is noticeable in his telecasts. He will always carry a big ax to grind against Denver. Whatever.

37. Announcers have never interfered with my watching the games.

______________________________________

Sorry, but I can’t say the same…Joe Buck & Chris Collinsworth bug-the-hell out of me.

38. Unreported: the number one guy on every media’s list is Peyton Manning. He doesn’t want it. Many, many offers have been made. With a net wealth of $250M, and ownership of 22 successful pizza franchises, he doesnt need it. Loves spending time raising his twins and playing golf. Not a bad life!

39. I was hoping he would replace Joe Buck instead. I watch games on mute if Joe Buck is commentating, my ears bleed listening to him. But I guess I can settle for Simms instead

40. “I love Phil Simms and his smooth sense of humor that flies over the heads of a lot of the bumpkins that read pft”

The man is dumber than a rock. If a braineater lit on Simms’ head it would starve to death.

41. tylawspick6 says:
    Apr 4, 2017 11:25 AM
    Romo is Mr Mediocre at everything he’s ever done.

Unbelievable.

****************************************************
    Well…..he did win 61% of his starts…, his 2.7% int rate puts him right behind Joe Montana and Steve Young (2.6%) and ties him with Peyton Manning and Big Ben, his 5.7% Td rate ranks him ahead of Tom Brady (5.5%), Russell Wilson and Steve Young (5.6%) and ties him with Peyton Manning. He ranks 21st on the career passing Td list (ahead of Jim Kelly, Steve Young and Kurt Warner). His career pass completion percentage of 63.1% ranks 5th all time and tied with Peyton Manning and ahead of Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Joe Montana.

Yeah….thats pretty mediocre…especially for a guy NOBODY wanted to spend a draft pick on coming out of college.

42. Okay JIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMM….. (Sims voice)

AND We wont have to hear Phil refer to EEEM when talking about a player.

Example: Ezekiel Elliot is a great Rookie JIIIIIIIIMMMMMM! I reallyu like EEEM!

43. Romo’s wife was a very popular newscaster in Dallas. I’ll bet he will get great advice from her. I am sorry to see him leave the game but glad to see him do so. It’s better than being in a wheel chair at age 50.

44. Not many announcers I truly dont like. Always amuses me that these fans are so hateful towards broadcasters. Most of the time because they dont kiss the arse of their favorite team. Grow up.

45. laserw says:
    Apr 4, 2017 11:28 AM

—————————————————
    I’ll be honest, I don’t really hear any pro-Dallas Aikman bias when I watch him do a Cowboys game. This is coming from an Eagles fan that hated the early 90’s Dallas teams more than any other team in sports history.

46. Kevin Harland > Jim Nantzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    CBS needs to utilize him more as their #1 at hoops and football.

47. Congrats Tony! As a veteran broadcaster, I have one bit of advice. When in doubt……like everyone and everything!!!!

Regards,
    Jon Gruden

48. tvguy22 says:
    Apr 4, 2017 12:12 PM

________________________

I agree that Simms is awful, Romo is a rookie, and Mayock is one of the better analysts. But Mayock’s lisp is brutal. Also, Mayock works for NFL Network.

CBS’ lineup includes Phil Simms, Dan Fouts, Trent Green, Rich Gannon, Solomon Wilcots, Steve Beuerlein, Adam Archuleta and Chris Simms. Not exactly an all-star team.

49. A rookie broadcaster with no experience is going to take the #1 spot? Seriously? I don’t mind Simms as much. Better than Aikman or Collinsworth.

50. That right there is why ‘this guy’ has an MVP arm. (make sure to workout your mic arm to prevent clavicle injury holding it)

Jon ‘everybody is awesome’ Gruden

51. Sadly Simms is forced to return when Romo suffers total Clavicle failure from a Boom Mic accident.

52. What’s the hate for Gruden? He is fun, entertaing, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but has likeable football jock personality. What am I missing here?

53. “What’s the hate for Gruden? He is fun, entertaing, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but has likeable football jock personality. What am I missing here?”

__________________________________

You’re missing his fawning, gushing, lusting praise over whatever players are in front of him when the camera’s rolling and the microphone’s on.

54. Its time to end the Jerruh Jones crappola over the Tony Romo saga. This is the right move for Romo to retire from the NFL as he is too brittle to play and this will be good for his long tern health. Jerruh Jones needs to go soak his fat head for a while and stroke his huge ego and he does not give a hoot about what happens to Romo other than he wants a draft pick for Romo’s services. What a louse Jones is.

55. I had no idea that Phil Simms was so hated. Wow. I’m sure Romo will be fine, but jeez–Simms isn’t the antichrist.

56. “cowboyinpawleys says:
    Apr 4, 2017 11:23 AM
    They should slide him into the booth with Nantz for a “guest appearance” at the Masters this week. Tony Knows Golf.”

Great idea! The Masters would be the perfect occasion to pair a rookie color commentator with the smarmiest, ass-kissing-est announcer in sports and make them both whisper their way through endless, tedious hours of a quasi sports event so as not to disturb the “sacred” right of quasi “athletes” to absolute silence while they take their shots.

Can you imagine “real” athletes refusing to punt, place kick, throw, shoot, hit, or run with a ball (or pass or shoot a puck) until the crowd was absolutely silent, with the leagues hiring numerous marshalls/enforcers to walk the stands and warn or eject anyone who made a noise? C’mon!

But at least the whispering would allow the network to take Tony for a low-risk test drive. And Tony could save his throat for post-tournament assurances that his “yips” were a one-time thing and he’ll be fine once he can use his full voice in a “real” sports broadcast. Where he won’t have to worry about the sacred rule that every golfer (notice that they’re never referred to as “golf players,” as are “real” athletes in “actual” sports such as hockey, baseball, basketball, or football) deserves absolute silence while making their shots.

57. How do we know that Romo, who has never done any broadcasting in his entire life, will be any good? He seems like kind of an introvert.

58. Guess nobody liked old phil but me, even if he was a stinkin giant. He pretty well told it like it was – belichick is brighter than 31 other guys combined.

59. laserw says:
    Apr 4, 2017 11:28 AM

_____
    Now it’s the opposite. Any network announcer seems to get the games of teams they used to be affiliated with. Buck & Aikman do Cowboys games most of the time. Kevin Harlan used to do radio for the Chiefs and now he does the Chiefs games on CBS most of the time. Steve Tasker is always doing Bills games.

The one exception I see is Solomon Wilcots. CBS doesn’t seem to be inclined to punish him by making him do Bengals games………

60. CBS was looking to replace Simms since his (idiotic) stance to not say “Redskins” (despite saying it 10 times on “accident” during his last Redskins broadcast). Romo will say Redskins because, well, he’s not a spineless idiot.

61. After thinking about this it looks more like a nobrainer for TR. He would have had to take a big pay cut to play. Maybe down to the $5 million area with incentives. He’s going to get at least $2 million maybe more from CBS to work about 20 weeks a year talking. Harder to get a life changing injury in the broadcast booth too.

62. Tootitan,

Lighten up dude!
    I said “Guest Appearance” I didn’t say he was going to do the whole 4 day Masters broadcast.

just having some fun with the fact that he may be Nantz’s future broadcast partner

63. Thank the Lord. I will not miss Simms. He was an overrated quarterback and an overrated announcer.

We won’t have to listen to him stumble over “the Washington team” anymore either, which is an added bonus.

64. onlinetoughguy says:

—–

This Eagles fan concurs. And I actually think Romo will be at least decent as a color analyst. Certainly better than Simms.

65. Well, there goes Mr. “All-Iron Award”…lol. Seriously, I’ve been hoping for Simms to get crap canned for a long time. Considering he misspeaks several times during most broadcasts, where his arrogant, know-it-all attitude comes from is beyond me.

66. @joetoronto says:
    Apr 4, 2017 11:32 AM
    daninms says:
    Apr 4, 2017 11:17 AM
    ***********************************
    Surely you can’t be serious.
    **********************************************He is serious, and quit calling him Shirley.

67. Simms and Collingsworth both attended the school for most annoying voices. Both graduated Summa.

68. People can dog on him all that want for playoff mistakes and costly INTs. But you can’t argue his success. He made the Cowboys competitive for a long time. Kinda reminds me of McNabb. Except Cowboy fans actually supported their QB. All these QBs winding down were gunslingers when I was in highschool. Its sad to see him go for a true football fan. My fave QB remaining in the league is Philip Rivers. Although his team isn’t always competitive, dude still brings it every week. Gotta love that!

Go Fins!

69. Tony Romo seems like someone who has never had an OPINION in his entire life. I have a hard time seeing him succeeding as a color commentator.

70. Funny; Phil Simms grabbed on to the dying, fraying, played-out and embarrassing anti-Redskins-name kick and it back-fired in his chubby blonde face. Those who continue to lemming that dying cause are facing the same fates. STICK TO SPORTS and you’ll be fine; start forcing your safe-space agendas and you’ll embarrass yourself and be unemployed (or work for some insignificant sports “blog” that nobody takes seriously anyhow).

Go Tony Romo and Hail to the Redskins!

71. Hate Phil all you want he has two Rings Romo has zero
    And yes he only played in one of the SB,s but he got them to the game

Just what the fans need another washed up cowboy spewing his garbage