Tony Romo: Texans were my top choice, but TV is what I want to do

AP

If Tony Romo had played in the NFL this season, he would have liked to do so in Houston. But that wasn’t in the cards.

Romo said today after CBS officially announced that he is their new No. 1 analyst on both Sunday afternoons and Thursday nights that he would have liked to play for the Texans, if he had played another NFL season.

“Houston was at the top of the list of teams that I looked at,” Romo said.

But Romo said that he ultimately decided that he wants to be a broadcaster for decades to come, and CBS made him the best offer he received.

“Knowing what I want to do the next 15, 20, 30 years, I really felt as though it was the right decision at this time,” Romo said. “I’m really excited about the new challenge ahead. I didn’t come to this conclusion lightly.”

Romo will be a free agent and could still change his mind and sign with an NFL team, and he acknowledged that, “I don’t know if the competitive fire is ever going to go away.” But he didn’t sound like he has any interest in playing for the Texans, or anyone else, in 2017 — or ever again. He sounds committed to broadcasting.

68 responses to “Tony Romo: Texans were my top choice, but TV is what I want to do

1. Really he can’t break his contract with CBS, I doubt that Jerry and his buddy Goodell would let that happen. Romo will never play in the NFL again.

2. Donovan McNabb was more of a winner than Tony Romo but for obvious reasons, Romo exits the stage as if he was Johnny Elway.

For obvious CLEAR reasons. Double standard will never stop existing in this country.

3. It’s one thing to be retired now,

It’s a another thing to be retired 2 weeks before the season kicks off.

I think he’ll play. And I think CBS will gladly re-hire him whenever he retires again.

4. Can’t wait until Steve Summers on WFAN in New York starts playing Romo broadcasting mistakes! His audio montage of Romo turnovers and bad decisions to blow games is the funniest thing on radio.

You rock Schmuzie!!

5. Who’s his backup in the booth? Keep in mind he uses a lot of his sick days or at least he did with the cowboys.

6. I rooted against the guy for his entire career, but it’s really sad to see him hang it up. Best of luck to him, if that means getting Simms out of the booth, I would consider that a hefty added bonus.

7. Romo added, “…but Jerry wouldn’t release me so I was forced to retire.”

8. Texans dodged a bullet. They could have traded a bounty for a injury prone player ready to hang it up with one foot in the broadcaster’s booth.

9. The Chiefs currently have no veteran backup and they have publicly stated all the rookies in this draft aren’t ready to play. So if Alex Smith goes down in Week 4 and the Chiefs are 3-1 with a real shot at this thing and Reid calls him up, Romo is saying No?! Plus the Chiefs play at Dallas on Turkey day this year I believe. Fun stuff!

10. screwmemean says:
    Apr 4, 2017 4:29 PM
    romo is soft, took the easy way out of town. he never cared about the Ring!

************************************************

Romo played with broken vertebrae, herniated disks, broken collar bones, broken finger, punctured lung, and you’re calling him soft? Tell us how tough you are.

11. mcjon22 says:
    Apr 4, 2017 4:32 PM
    It’s one thing to be retired now,
    It’s a another thing to be retired 2 weeks before the season kicks off.

————-

I don’t think so. CBS already announced we was replacing Simms. This gig is worth millions for 20+ years if he ends up being good at it. A crappy year in Houston and that job is gone forever.

12. scrp2 says:
    Apr 4, 2017 4:53 PM

———–

True, but they have no QB and no pick that can get a good QB.

13. Not a big game QB but carried some bad Dallas teams. Hes a class act, I think hes realized hes done with football for his bodys sake not his actual skill set. I applaud him for being rationale and I am excited to see him on TV. Jones not releasing him mustve given him time to ponder his future and he realized its time to hang up the spikes. Hes not a HOF QB or anything but a great player in his own right.

14. The truth is that the Texans were not willing to pay Romo unless the contract had a lot of “health issue” incentives, so Romo didn’t feel he could really go there since the Texans were not all in with him.

15. gysot says:
    Apr 4, 2017 4:39 PM
    Any moment now Texans management will be trading their first round pick to Cleveland for B. Osweiler.

——-

Bueno!

16. Local Dallas news purports that Jerry Jones blocked Romo from connecting with the Texans. I’m sure the Jones released Romo with the condition that he NOT sign up with the Texans.

That’s a shame.

Texas football would have been even more entertaining to watch.

Good luck Romo at CBS. Hope you get the itch to play again and connect with Houston regardless of the gentleman’s agreement.

17. If you watched all of Romo’s games that he played in Dallas, with a totally dysfunctional front office and a completely over-matched coaching staff, you could not help but be a huge fan of his..
    People who crush him either only watch highlights or 2 or 3 full games a year tops…
    Brady or Rodgers aren’t winning superbowls in that dallas environment either.

18. Congratulations Texans fans, you were spared a year that would only have ended in misery.

19. Guy never had heart. This proves it.

“I want to play until I’m 45”-Tom Brady.

“I want to be apart of TV”-Tony Romo.

Winners win.
    ———————————–
    brady never took the massive hits Romo did. he always had a good line while Romo had a good line 1/3 of the time

20. The Texans would make a lot of players prefer to go to network TV.
    —————————

We have a winner for this thread Johnny!! Tell thrifty what he’s won….

21. Jerry Jones selfishly screwed Romo. If he had given him his release, instead of waiting for what? a sixth round pick……..Romo would be playing in the NFL.

22. I never liked him as a player (for a full game anyway Mr Ohno!) but always thought he was a classy guy. With how things unfolded this year he again proved he’s a classier person than anyone in the Cowboys organization.

I’ll look forward to hearing him in the booth and I hope he’s able to get some quality time on the greens as well. Don’t look back Tony, you really did give it your all and proved to be a tough S.O.B.

23. Teams with no or little quarterback options… Including my 9ers…. Couldn’t cough up a 5th round pick that is like 50% likely to fail anyway???? Thank your sorry teams GM for not trading to get the guy. I do not understand this continued overvaluing of draft picks…. Any team he quarterbacked for next year would have been immediately more interesting. And frankly Houston, Miami, Cleveland, SF, Jax, NY Jets, Buffalo, Minnesota (yeah, I said it) could have all used a little more interesting…. Good grief… BOOO GM’s. And by the way… Houston is already eliminated from Super Bowl contention today…. Congrats.

24. I agree with the “he has no heart” crowd.

What kind of competitor chooses a microphone over a chance to play for a SB? He can be a broadcaster in 5 years, or ten years or basically until his vocal chords give out, but his chance to start at QB in the NFL is right frickin’ now.

And if he did play, and actually won a SB, he’d be that much more in demand for a TV job afterward.

25. Cowboys should have kept him. Dak is not all that. There is a reason he lasted til 4th round. His success was all on the offensive line.

26. Freaking NE fans coming into every thread to talk smack. Here’s an idea, don’t be a turd. What NE has accomplished is amazing. They are the greatest dynasty in sports history but sooner or later, everything falls.

Love Tony and will miss watching him play for Dallas but this was probably the best decision he could have made for his long term health.

27. This isn’t about heart…he was never able to hold it together when the pressure came down upon him in the big games. However his propensity for serious injury is what put him to pasture.

28. highhardheat says:
    Apr 4, 2017 5:52 PM

——————————————————
    Romo would be playing in the NFL.
    ——————————————————
    for maybe 2 games then hurt and on the bench

29. Romo was a decent QB during the regular season, but he always folded like a cheap suit when playoff time rolled arund. What did he win–2 playoff games in 14 years? He’ll be better off in the broadcast booth, I’m sure. Good luck to him.

30. If Adrian Peterson were to retire, he’d have won only one playoff game in his whole career. Does that make him not a great RB? Tony Romo ends his career as the third highest rated QB in NFL history, sometimes it’s not all about winning Super Bowls but how well you played the game. Romo would have been a HOFer if he had won a Super Bowl. Good luck Tony and thanks for the memories.

31. No surprise that there are dumb people posting.

Teams didn’t trade for him because of his contract, not because of a 7th round pick. Whoever signed him would have wanted to reduce the cap hit from his current contract.

But don’t let that stop Jag and Titan fan from criticizing a team and organization miles better than their own.

32. romo is soft, took the easy way out of town. he never cared about the Ring!

===
    Lot of tough talk from key board punks, probaley these new “Fangenders”that never played the game, except on PS or Xbox

33. Jerry Jones is such a tool..

He busts his butt to make sure San Antonio doesn’t get an NFL team, then he busts his butt to make sure Houston doesn’t win a Super Bowl before he wins his next.

I understand the whole “America’s Team” thing, but you’d have to assume that Texans outside the Metroplex would be Texans fans just BECAUSE of Jerry Jones.

I mean, the Texans train in Houston (until this year) the Cowboys train in California.

Bob McNair actually said kind words about allowing a team into San Antonio, Jerry Jones pompously says that it’s Cowboys territory.

Man I hope the Texans go on a 3-4 year Super Bowl run and knock them off their throne in this state!

34. I figured this is what he would do, and good for him that he made the right choice. Inevitably he would have been hurt, and it would have probably just made his past injuries that much more severe.

35. bullcharger says:
    Apr 4, 2017 5:09 PM
    scrp2 says:
    Apr 4, 2017 4:53 PM

———–

True, but they have no QB and no pick that can get a good QB.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

People may scoff at this, but, Jay Cutler + that Texans defense would mean a high probability as div champs. I like Romo but at this point he could not be counted on to finish a game/season. Of the available choices, Cutler is the best fit even if they get a QB to develop in the draft

36. Skins fan…. All the respect in the world for Tony in the broadcast booth!!! Not so much if he decides to risk his health on the field. Your a good guy Tony, give us a good ending….

37. Luckily, the Texans have Brock Osweiller. It would be a disaster for that SUPER talented roster to go into the season with Brandon Weedon and Tom Savage as the only QBs on the roster.

This is yer second year as a starter Brock time to put up or…..
    oh they traded Brock to Cleveland? after making the Playoffs and winning a Playoff game they got rid of their starting QB?

What a stupid franchise. Good luck with Tom Savage, losers.

38. Donovan McNabb was more of a winner than Tony Romo but for obvious reasons, Romo exits the stage as if he was Johnny Elway.
    ———————————————————————

Romo has more TDs, a better YPA, & better Cmp%.
    McNabb played more games, has more wins and more total yards.
    But racist away if that makes you feel better.
    I will agree that Philly never treated McNabb right but Philly gonna Philly.

39. logicalvoicesays says:

I agree wholeheartedly with the first part of your statement. However, disagree equally wholeheartedly at the second.

The reason Romo is lauded to this extent is because he played for the Cowboys. If it were (don’t wanna insult any fan here) a lesser organization it’d be a blip in the media.

40. It’s a safe bet that Tony hasn’t colluded with Russia, so at least he won’t have baggage when he steps into the broadcasting booth.

41. I don’t get the hate here.

Romo was healthy until the last 3 years. He gave his all to a rotten organization with a squint-eyed bumpkin that found oil under his outhouse for an owner – an owner that is so in love with himself he had to build the biggest stadium in the world because that’s the only building that could house his ego, and has treated Romo like dirt the last two months – and a bubble-headed yes man for a coach and a sniveling crybaby for a #1 receiver. He’s been beaten half to death the last 2 years.

He’s far from soft. My team had never beaten him until Thanksgiving 2015. I have nothing but respect for the guy. I wish him well in the broadcast booth.

42. Best of luck Mr Romo. You were the best QB Dallas ever had and never had a losing season as a full time starter. Haters can hate but they have not accomplished anything in life so they try to tear winners down to their level.

43. Peyton Manning had his neck fused to play the game a few more years. Romo is “ok” without a ring. Romo quitting is only doing a favor for the Texans. Do you really want a guy leading your team who isn’t obsessed with winning a Super Bowl?

44. I’m not a Cowboy fan in any way, but I don’t understand all the hate for Romo. He was very good, and played hard. People keep calling him “soft” for missing time. If I recall, his injuries were broken ribs, a broken clavicle, and then spinal problems. These injuries are not exactly strained muscles. They’re serious. Nobody could or should play through them.

I suppose the hate is because Dallas is a lightning rod, but Romo was exciting to watch for ten years, and he never did anything that embarrassed the league in the way so many other players have. I wish him success as a broadcaster. I think he’ll be good at it.