Report: Patriots have expressed interest in Richard Sherman trade

Getty Images

The Seahawks have been open about discussing the fact that teams have approached them about trading for cornerback Richard Sherman and the list of teams that they’ve spoken to reportedly includes a team that is rarely open about discussing their plans on any front.

Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald reports that the Patriots have “expressed interest” in making a deal for Sherman, although he adds that other teams have pursued the Seattle cornerback more aggressively at this point in talks with the Seahawks. Howe suggests that could change if cornerback Malcolm Butler winds up playing elsewhere.

Butler is a restricted free agent and has been pursued by the Saints, although their coach Sean Payton has said that the team won’t sign him to an offer sheet that would require them to send the 11th overall pick to New England as compensation. Butler would need to sign his tender in order to facilitate a trade for different compensation and has until April 21 to sign an offer sheet with another club.

In their discussions of a potential Sherman trade, General Manager John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll have each downplayed the likelihood of a deal going down. The right offer from the Patriots could change that, but it doesn’t appear that will happen unless another domino falls first in New England.

45 responses to “Report: Patriots have expressed interest in Richard Sherman trade

1. He’s got the obnoxious part covered, but I can’t recall him ever cheating. He may not be Patriot material.

2. Heck yeah. Why not?

Plus if Sherman did have the stones to confront BB about play calling on the sideline during a game, I’d kind of like to see that. I 100% get why some people don’t like him but I much more prefer winning on game days vs winning fan popularity contests.

I remember when Randy Moss was a malcontent and nobody wanted anything to do with him. I’m sure Sherman would cost more than a 4th round pick but I’d certainly be curious to see what the asking price may be?

3. jimmyt says:
    Apr 5, 2017 2:18 PM
    That would be a good cesspool for him to end up in.

——–

Ha… 2 out of the last 3 Super Bowls is quite the cesspool.

4. Personally, I’d rather have Butler locked up for 5 years 45 mil with 30 guaranteed……

5. interesting that teams have acquired about Sherman and it seems the seahawks FO were listening and we’re open to it not really having their players back in the media but then BB and the patriots ask about him.. “oh we don’t see a trade happening..” i’m not a pats fan but when the SB champs want to poach 1 of your weapons to add to their arsenal it’s a no go? curious..

6. redlikethepig says:
    Apr 5, 2017 2:23 PM

————-

He was supposed to be suspended for 4 games for using adderall without a prescription but it got overturned.

7. Personally, I’d rather have Butler locked up for 5 years 45 mil with 30 guaranteed……
    ———————-
    Haha, good luck with that. That puts the contract at around 9 mil per yr. Hell AJ Bouye just signed for 5 yr 67.5 million or roughly 13.5 mil a year. No way butler accepts less than that IMO.

8. The Patriots are currently out of 2017 draft capital. It would be unprecedented for them to trade away a high 2018 pick. Perhaps they’re waiting for Butler to sign his RFA tender and some type of swap of CBs (and draft picks) would occur. Sherman sounds a lot better than a late first round pick from the Saints.

9. They don’t have anything to deal for him. Unless Seattle took Butler who after signing his tender would make about one third of Sherman’s salary and free up money for elsewhere. Then again Butler could walk next year anyway so what would be Seattle’s motivation for dealing w/NE?

10. If he goes to a different team and is injured will it have to be on the injury report.

11. Sherman has not been nearly as effective as a CB ever since the league started cracking down on defensive PI… The refs won’t call in on every play right Sherm? LOL

12. If they sign him and AP might as well cancel the 2017, 2018 maybe 2019 season and saddly just send them the the Bill Belichick trophy… I mean the Lombardi.

13. “If he goes to a different team and is injured will it have to be on the injury report.”

Unless its the Colts or Steelers.

14. He’d have to stop talking so much but it won’t matter….the asking price for him will be way too high and I don’t blame SEA for a high asking price

15. The thought of Seattle ‘rebuilding’ the team AGAIN, boggles my mind. New England? I have absolutely no ‘love’ for them.

16. Report: Patriots have expressed interest in Richard Sherman trade
    ______________________

No. The patriots have expressed an interest in attempting to steal Richard Sherman from the Seahawks.

17. Bob, I wish I could like this more than once. Hilarious!

bobthebillsfan says:

Apr 5, 2017 3:02 PM
    I still remember the camera panning to him just after Malcolm Butler intercepted Russell in the SB. Man, that look was sweet.

18. duffelbagsports says:
    Apr 5, 2017 2:17 PM
    Breaking News: It was only reported about a week ago in the local Boston papers and USA Today way back on March 29th

————————————-

…but March 29th was also about a week ago.

19. cardinalsfan87 says:
    Apr 5, 2017 2:17 PM
    Is it possible to trade this guy out of the NFL? He is by far the most obnoxious player in the league.
    ————————-
    He stood up for the National Anthem. He can stay being obnoxious and all. I agree with the obnoxious part FYI

20. Three first-round picks and maybe we’ll THINK about it. Otherwise, go look for some other club to fleece. This isn’t the same club that you snookered with the Deion Branch trade eleven years ago.

21. I see all the Patriots haters are out today, looking a bit green with jealousy. You can call the Patriots cheaters until the cows come home. Still doesn’t make it true.

Anyway, I’d rather the Patriots concentrate on keeping Butler. Similar talent, less aggravation, similar contract dollars.

22. jimmyt says:
    Apr 5, 2017 2:18 PM
    That would be a good cesspool for him to end up in.

Yeah, you cartoon. Pats have played in the SB almost 50% of the time since 2001, and won five. Oh the horror. I’m sad for you.