Tip from 19-year-old fan led to Tom Brady’s stolen jerseys

Getty Images

On the surface, the search for Tom Brady’s Super Bowl created the impression of a multi-agency effort that included equal parts gumshoe and CSI. In reality, it wasn’t nearly that complicated.

As explained by Cheryl Fiandaca of WBZ-TV, the case turned on a tip from a 19-year-old Patriots fan who lives in Seattle and who, more importantly, collects sports memorabilia.

In December, Dylan Wagner sold a jersey to Martin Mauricio Ortega via eBay. They later shared photos of their collections. Ortega’s had Brady’s Super Bowl XLIX jersey, complete with grass stains.

Wagner asked Ortega how he got the item. Ortega said, “I’ll tell you later.”

Opting not to wait for the explanation, Wagner alerted a friend who also is an ATF special agent. Nothing happened.

After Brady’s Super Bowl LI jersey came up missing, Wagner knew that Ortega was the thief. At that point, Wagner heard from the ATF agent, who then gave the information to the FBI.

As Wagner tells it, the video of Ortega in the Patriots’ locker room was inconclusive as to whether Ortega actually stole the item, and that without photo and other facts the teenager gave to the feds, a search warrant for Ortega’s basement wouldn’t have been obtained.

Then again, Wagner is only 19. What does he know?

Oh wait.

50 responses to “Tip from 19-year-old fan led to Tom Brady’s stolen jerseys

1. This Ortega guy seems like a real world-class moron, right until you get to the part of the story where he doesn’t face any charges.

2. Or maybe the reason no other player has said anything about big game items stolen is because they simply grabbed another jersey/helmet/kneepad and sold that as the genuine “game worn” item.

3. No charges for Ortega in Mexico… the criminals should just stay there because the days of them getting away with crime in the US is over.

So, the only reason they come to the US is to find victims?

4. Pats fans don’t miss a trick. By contrast Goodell’s 9th grade chemistry teacher was probably a Jets fan.

5. Sweet now we will have fans telling us who we can and can’t root for based on where you currently live. I love this new free America. I never realized how un-American I was being by making my own choices until others started dictating to me exactly how I should be living my life.

6. 700levelvet says:
    Apr 5, 2017 10:01 AM
    I dunno… It’s a jersey…

—————————————

I suppose you have no keepsakes or family heirlooms. They are essentially priceless to the owner but to others probably worthless. Unless you’re the GOAT QB and you wore it in probably the most historic SB so far.

I mean, your comment, really?

7. whybotherifeverythinggetscensored says:
    Apr 5, 2017 10:10 AM
    It would be so cool if Brady gave the kid one of the two jerseys. He is a collector, and that would make one heck of a centerpiece to his collection.

__________________________

Nah, maybe a signed jersey, but not the SB jerseys.

8. whybotherifeverythinggetscensored says:
    Apr 5, 2017 10:10 AM

———————-

I dont know about those two. If they go anywhere its likely the Pats museum at Gillette, thats where most of that stuff ends up. But you can trust that the kid will be getting hooked up well.

For example: Since he is also aspiring at QB (I read that in a different story) Brady can get him into some of those development camps.

9. firecracker87 says:
    Apr 5, 2017 10:10 AM
    700levelvet says:
    Apr 5, 2017 10:01 AM
    I dunno… It’s a jersey…
    —————————————

I mean, your comment, really?

———————————

True true.

Plus I think he forgot to finish his sentance…”It’s a jersey” that would fetch $500k at auction.

10. kurdishpats1 says:
    Apr 5, 2017 9:52 AM
    Pats fan in Seattle?

Biggest bandwagon fans in all of sports.

—————

At 19 he is too young to be called a bandwagon fan. He has never known a world in which the Patriots weren’t dominant.

11. Did you know that when the Patriots return to the Super Bowl this coming season Tom Brady will have ended his season in a Super Bowl game in exactly half the seasons in this career? WOW! 🙂

#GOAT
    #ThereIsNoQuestion
    #ThereIsNoDoubt
    #AllHailTheGreatest
    #KissHisFullHandOfRings
    #PuckerUpButtercups

12. Ortega is a thief, but the 19 year old is a rat. He befriended Ortega, as evidenced by the exchange of pictures of their PERSONAL collections, and then sold him up the river. From where I’m from, this is not to be praised.

13. The next chapter of this story has to be Brady doing something very cool for that 19 year old kid.

Maybe a nice handwritten letter from Brady himself, and…………….. (let the comments begin)

14. mcnabbster says:
    Apr 5, 2017 10:38 AM
    ==============

I am saddened for you that doing the right thing is frowned upon in your community.

I imagine that community is not doing well economically.

15. mcnabbster says:
    Apr 5, 2017 10:38 AM

————————————–

That is just… sad. I understand having a friends’ back, but what you’re talking about is the snitches get stitches mindset which just keeps people from improving their lives and the lives of people around them.

If someone is your friend you help them get better, you don’t cover up for them.

16. mcnabbster says:
    Apr 5, 2017 10:38 AM

——–

Where does it say they were friends? It says they did business together and shared photos of their collections, but that was likely to build a networking relationship more than anything. It doesn’t sound like they met or hung out. Ortega stole a jersey worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Why should the kid be loyal to him?

17. mcnabbster says:
    Apr 5, 2017 10:38 AM

—————
    If you spoke to someone a few times and then figured out that they were let’s say a pedophile…. are you saying you wouldn’t turn that person in? I’m not equating a jersey stealing jack wagon to a pedophile.:. I’m just curious where you draw the line on what is reportable and what is being a rat….

2nd point… would you then extort this jersey stealer… is extortion prevalent where you’re from as well?

18. People invest money where they have trust. Investment creates opportunity. It all starts with doing the right thing.
    ————
    I totally LOVED and agreed with your post. But it got me thinking, does the NFL not trust itself? Because 90% of the time they don’t invest their own money, instead they use tax dollars and not their own money.

And thoughts to other posts:
    Dylan Wager gets to be part of a national (heck global) story. That’s a great reward for doing the right thing. Way to go Dylan!

19. I would think an all expenses paid trip to Boston – 3 nights at a nice hotel, full tour of Gillette with some signed jerseys and one or two sleeveless hoodies, catch a game at Fenway, then opening day/night at Gillette-

and throw in a round at TCC, maybe a game at the Gaaaaahhhrden

I’m sure Kraft and Brady will take care of it

Done

20. mcnabbster says:
    Apr 5, 2017 10:38 AM
    ———————————————————-
    I am sad for you and the people in your life.

21. mcnabbster says:
    Apr 5, 2017 10:38 AM

———–

if the kid had participated in the theft then turned Ortega in, that would make him a rat.

anyways, if you had read the article in the link above, you’d know that Ortega sent the kid 30 photos of his collection (which would seem to be a brag-fest of sorts) and you’d know that the kid did NOT know the SB49 jersey had been stolen when he asked Ortega how he got it. so he shared Ortega’s photos with his friend, also an avid collector, who also happens to be an ATF agent.

When the SB51 jersey was stolen, the ATF agent got in touch with the kid.

22. Fly the kid to Foxboro for the Thursday night home opener and treat him well. Brady should give him an autographed game jersey, maybe from that game. The kid, after all, is a collector.

23. I am a Patriots fan, and I now am beyond the jersey thing. It was fun, but holding up the Jersey to the Redsox crowd was the moment it jumped the shark for me. Time to let it go. The only thing that would be nice to hear is if they were auctioned to a private collector and the proceeds were donated to a great charity.

24. mcnabbster says:
    Apr 5, 2017 10:38 AM

10 158

____________________

This helps illustrate a real problem in this country. There are far too many ethically challenged people like yourself and where you’re from. You sir, are part of the problem, not the solution. I hope you, and the people where you’re from, can grow to be better than this.

Kudos to this 19yo kid for being part of the solution.

25. That last paragraph seems like someone was just being nice to him saying, we couldn’t have done this without you, and the kid being young took it to heart. Especially the we couldn’t have gotten the warrant without you part. Wasn’t this guy living in Mexico? There justice system is not like Americas. If cops wanna go in a house, they go in a house. They don’t need elaborate proof like American police forces.

26. factschecker says:
    Apr 5, 2017 10:09 AM
    ————————————————————–
    Preach brother!

27. “in Mexico… the criminals should just stay there because the days of them getting away with crime in the US is over.”

Stay in school, kids!

28. Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is looking. Integrity builds trust. People invest money where they have trust. Investment creates opportunity. It all starts with doing the right thing.

Just beautifully said.

29. bullcharger says:
    Apr 5, 2017 12:10 PM

——

I’m expecting that to happen.

Assuming that Brady is the current owner of the shirt, he can put it up for auction with the proceeds going to charity, and take a nice tax write off for whatever it sells for, which I’m sure he could use.

Kraft would be likely to buy the shirt and hang it at the Patriots Place HOF, and his purchase price being a charitable contribution, would be tax deductible, which I’m sure he could use too.