LeGarrette Blount: “Give me some money”

Getty Images

LeGarrette Blount may be getting a little antsy about remaining a free agent, despite having a strong year for the Patriots last season.

Blount was at a Boston Celtics game last night and shared a hug with Patriots owner Robert Kraft, but he also wondered aloud why he isn’t getting the kind of contract offer he wants.

“See, tell them I still got it. Give me some money,” Blount said, via Chris Mannix of Yahoo Sports.

Several running backs are still waiting for some money this offseason. The running back market is soft, and if Blount is disappointed that an 18-touchdown season last year isn’t enough for him to get a big deal in free agency, it’s hard to blame him.

87 responses to “LeGarrette Blount: “Give me some money”

1. lol

I would imagine if the market commanded it, he’d have what he was looking for by now.

Truth is, 30 years old is now a death knell for RBs.

2. Running Back the replacement position that kills your body. Use them/toss them. Doesn’t really seem fair but that’s the economics of the NFL. Sorry about that Mr. Blount.

3. Sorry, Mr. Blount (which is the perfect name for a stoner, btw), but with a draft deep in RB’s coming up and you being another year older and headed for a steep decline sooner rather than later, you’re going to have to accept a discounted paycheck with a few incentives… or retire.

4. He’s a decent back, not a must have. 18 TDs, most of which probably were from the goal line, set up by others on offense. Struggles in 3rd and short situations. HUGE fumble in the Super Bowl doesn’t help. I’d take him for the same money as last year, otherwise he’s certainly replaceable.

5. Belichick gets rid of guys 1 year too early than 1 year too late. It’s his MO. If Blount was willing to come back on a 1 year deal than I’m sure Belichick might do it. If Blount is looking for a 2 year deal than Belichick isn’t doing it because he probably thinks Blount only has 1 strong year left in his tank and isn’t willing to have a cap hit for cutting him before the 2nd year on the deal kicks in. If Blount resigns with Pats it will almost certainly be for 1 year only.

6. The trouble is that Blount’s performance cannot be based solely on how many touchdowns he scored. He was given situations for many of those where the ball was near the goal line and he just had to push it from there.
    There were many other times in other areas of the field where he did not gain yardage or even lost yardage.
    The bottom line is that he a is a good back, but not a great one and his salary demands may be out of line with that reality in the current market.
    I think the Patriot’s want him back, but at a price which is reasonable to them.

7. It’s funny, when I was a kid RB was one of the premier positions and everyone knew the name of the feature back for each team. Larry Csonka, Franco Harris, Chuck Foreman, the list went on and on. Then Denver came along one year with running back by committee and the whole game changed. Rules favored more passing and now the position that every kid wants to play (behind QB) isn’t that valuable anymore. I hate to say it but AP, Blount and all the other backs looking for big money, you should have played QB, WR or DE.

8. Loved what he contributed over the last few years, and love his personality. But he is frustrating to watch at times. Beastly in goal-line situations (hence his 18 scores last year) but has seemingly NO ability to find holes and make something from nothing — I lost count of all his runs for no gain last year.

I feel like I’m watching former Falcon Michael “Burner” Turner with LG at times — running dead-end into traffic the majority of the game.

9. 5.0
    4.4
    4.3
    3.9

His yards per carry the last 4 years. Notice the trend? So do smart front offices.

10. If he had made the first down on third down in the opening drive……he would be signed.

I don’t really mind the fumble.

I do mind the dam stutter step before he hits the line.

11. Don’t get me wrong
    Try getting me right
    Your face is okay
    But your purse is too tight
    I’m looking for pound notes, loose change, bad checks, anything
    Gimme some money, gimme some money

12. caycue says:
    Apr 6, 2017 10:27 AM
    He’s a decent back, not a must have. 18 TDs, most of which probably were from the goal line, set up by others on offense. Struggles in 3rd and short situations…
    ——————–
    That isn’t true of 2016 – he ran over 1161yds, and his splits for 3rd-&-short improved massively from 8att/1.9av in 2015 to 14att/3.8av in 2016 – compared to his overall 3.9av. He’s worth the money but with BB you play for rings not cash, and he prob wants a multi-year deal but is near the end of his career and will likely only get another 1yr, $1M-$1.2M from BB.

13. When he runs parallel to the LOS, he goes down easy every time. Legs are too long. Can’t be relied on for 3rd and short or 4th and short. Fumble in the SB. Time to move on.

14. possumsauce says:
    Apr 6, 2017 10:49 AM
    Don’t get me wrong
    Try getting me right
    Your face is okay
    But your purse is too tight
    I’m looking for pound notes, loose change, bad checks, anything
    Gimme some money, gimme some money
    ————————————————————-
    Just what every sports blog needs, poetry. But let’s be real, it sure beats the drivel we get from the trolls. Nicely done possum.

15. Another classic overhyped and overrated patriots player.

Any other system outside of belicheat’s and this player would be a replaceable bum.

16. wib22 says:
    Apr 6, 2017 11:07 AM

Another classic overhyped and overrated patriots player.

———-
    Must be some great system then that takes bums and turns them into serviceable players and TD machines.

17. Stop wasting my time.
    You know what I want.
    You know what I need.
    Or maybe you don’t.

Do I have to come right flat out and tell you everything? Gimme some money! – Spinal Tap

18. possumsauce says:
    Apr 6, 2017 10:49 AM

Don’t get me wrong
    Try getting me right
    Your face is okay
    But your purse is too tight
    I’m looking for pound notes, loose change, bad checks, anything
    Gimme some money, gimme some money

—–

I posted the first verse before I read this. Love the Tap.

19. Before he left for the Steelers, he had super quick feet and caught passes on wheel routes, etc. Then he came back, and nothing like that happened. Is it that he can’t do it, or that they let other guys do it and he was just a hammer? I was waiting for them to suddenly use him like that in the SB, but they didn’t, so I have to think he lost something. Weird, though.

20. They were obviously having fun last night, and of course Blount wants to come back. He may only get 4 yards on a given carry, but that’s not bad when you’re dragging eight Steelers with you.

21. imodan says:
    Apr 6, 2017 11:07 AM
    possumsauce says:
    Apr 6, 2017 10:49 AM
    Don’t get me wrong
    Try getting me right
    Your face is okay
    But your purse is too tight
    I’m looking for pound notes, loose change, bad checks, anything
    Gimme some money, gimme some money
    ————————————————————-
    ======================

Anytime you can work in a Spinal Tap reference is a good time.

22. terripet says:
    Apr 6, 2017 10:24 AM
    3 teams you should consider Miami Seattle and Ny Giants
    =================

HE should consider? He’s a FA, it’s about teams considering him. Do you know how any of this works?

23. 18 touchdowns yes, but how many of those came from the 1 yard line after Brady got you there? Not to mention, unless the Pats are facing the Colts, Blount has been a total non-factor in the playoffs and 2 super bowl appearances in his 3 seasons with the team. Don’t get me wrong, I like Blount a lot and would love to have him back… but lets be real here man.

24. tylawspick6 says:
    Apr 6, 2017 10:59 AM
    Pats fans turn on a dime.

———

100% false.

We’re just knowledgeable, objective, honest and know how BB maneuvers.

11 5

Damn, I just spit coffee on my screen while reading that. Honest? Objective? Knowledgeable? You are joking …..right?

BB will torture him till the 8 th game and tell him to quit his current team so he can sign him for the stretch run. Did once he can do it again.

25. The only thing he’s good at is stuffing it in from the one yard line. And sometimes breaking off a big run when the other team has given up in the fourth quarter. Go look at his playoff numbers against every team except Indy. Especially the Baltimore game (three carries for ONE YARD).

26. NFL runningbacks are a dime a dozen to the NFL. It isn’t true and teams that have gone the younger cheaper route on a bottom line basis have suffered more than not when it comes to having a skilled player, but that’s the NFL for you.

The teams still get paid regardless so the really isn’t any consequence for going cheap. And we have seen running backs come and go on more than half the teams who most people don’t even remember.

27. It got to a point during the Super Bowl where I cringed every time they gave him the ball. He had a very good year, but he’s on the wrong side of 30 and so many of his touchdowns were the product of the team banging it in from the 1. I really like Blount and hope he comes back to the team at $1.5 million a year for two years with some of that guaranteed.

28. LBG performed in his role as well as any player was expected to perform their respective role.

He was not there for first and 10. He was there for 3rd and short, 4th and short and goal line.

He did a great job and gained over 1,000 yards for a team that did not emphasize him or the run.

He has always done his job. Yeah, he’s not going to hit the holes as fast as a Dion Lewis or James White but when this guy gets to the second level he has more straight ahead, breakaway speed than any 250 pound back should have. Watching defenders try to arm tackle him is fruitless. You can tell smaller DB’s have not interest trying to tackle him one on one.

29. well theyll either use develin or bolden more on the goal line. unfortunately thats what the deal is. im sure they want you for the same price as last year.

30. Oakland. Philly. NYG. 2 of those 3 will put you on a contender. If all goes well for Philly they could squeak in as final wild card. All could use a RB. But they are all waiting to see where things fall in draft. Might not sign until after draft.

31. The 18 TD argument is like telling me about Kaepernick’s TD/INT ration. The stat is very good – no doubt. But not indicative of overall production. Pats O doesn’t need him, just like most O’s across the league would rather do without Kap.

32. Bill loves big backs that wear defenses down as the game goes along. If he loved him that much though, the Pats wouldn’t have 5 of them under contract other than him.
    And that’s after Blount said he’d take the “hometown discount” to stay.

I think they’ve noticed that he’s on the backside and can’t get it going vs. good run defenses.

33. LeGarrette – If you want money, go to Cleveland or the Jets – they both overpay. If you want to play for the elite team that values teamwork, integrity and championships, then park your ego and settle for the value that Belichick sets.

34. LOL…watch him go to Oakland and screw up all the paranoid fantasies these idiots have about Marshawn Lynch.

35. Don’t play for NE if you’re looking to get paid. Any other team would have appreciated your 18 TDs.

36. Blount is a good back, but his days are starting to get numbered being on the wrong side of 30. He should take a 2-3 mil a year if he can find it. It’s a rich RB draft so I doubt anyone is going to jump on a 30 year RB that has been inconsistent over the years. It may not seem fair to him but that’s the reality, even AP is finding it hard to find a job right now.

37. Guess he took the payday route instead of rings. It’s okay though. Give it about 2 years and he’ll go crawling back to the Patriots for vet minimum salary.

38. I like Blount, but sometimes he thinks he’s Bell from the Steelers. He stops behind the line waiting for a hole to open, but doesn’t have Bell’s burst if one develops.

39. He has made 6 million from 2010-2016. i am pretty sure he is finally due to receive his first legit contract. He has been a top 5 back for past two-three years. Pay Him. Do the right thing reward him accordingly its not that complicated and not that hard.

40. When are players and other teams going to get it, the reason players look good and this goes for Brady also is because of BB. Anywhere else they are just good solid players. I think people that really know the game would agree.

41. Don’t worry Big L, you know Bill will offer you that money…..probably league minimum again but money none the less.
    Man, the Pats have insured that this guy will end up broke and in the gutter.

42. Granted Blount was productive last season, but I hope the Pats draft a young stud runner. League minimum Blount.

43. It’s a deep RB draft class this year. Why pay veteran when you can get a younger cheaper option. That being said, Blount is very underrated, and brings value to any team if used right.

44. Any RB who lines up behind Tom Brady is going to be productive. Adrian Peterson might have had 25 TDs on that team last year. Look at guys throughout history. Guys like Emmitt Smith, Roger Craig, Franco Harris. These guys were all good RBs, but lining up behind 3 and 4 time super bowl winning QBs is easier than what your average RB has to do. On the other hand, guys like Walter Payton and Barry Sanders had to always face a defense that was keying on them.

45. Blount has long atoned for his mistake in college …but the price he paid was never getting the huge contract. He has Super bowl rings but not $$$. He’s the opposite of Revis business wise. I say leave the Patriots to WHOMEVER will give you a huge one or 2 year deal….might mean u end up in Tampa or Philadelphia or Minn, but so be it.

46. fishyinalittledishy says:
    Apr 6, 2017 2:22 PM
    =======================

It’s just Belichick and the ‘system.’ That is until someone is talking up Belichick, then it’s all Brady or some conspiracy.

47. He’s finding out that the patriots will get you on the cheap, use you up and then kick you to the curb. The patriot way.

48. He slowed down at the end of the season, into the playoffs. I love the guy. Always smiling and is a great locker room guy. I’d bring him back on the same deal he got last year 1 mill, draft a RB and let them fight it out in camp. Pats have the $ but will not overpay him.

49. tylawspick6 says:
    Apr 6, 2017 10:18 AM
    lol

Truth is, 30 years old is now a death knell for RBs.

//////////

What the Hell is a death knell?