CBS is treating Phil Simms the way Phil Simms treated ESPN

Getty Images

Did CBS mistreat Phil Simms by replacing him with Tony Romo without giving him any notice? Phil’s son Chris Simms seems to think so. But Phil Simms knows something about broadcasters changing jobs without any notice — because he did it to ESPN at the outset of his career.

Immediately after he retired from the Giants, Simms was hired as a studio analyst by ESPN. He was shaky and visibly nervous on air at first, but he grew into the role, and ESPN had plans for him. Although he hadn’t signed a contract beyond the 1994 NFL season, ESPN said it had an assurance from Simms’ agent that he would be back at ESPN, unless an opportunity arose for him to return to the NFL as a player.

The next thing ESPN knew, Simms was appearing on NBC, which made the surprise announcement that Simms had been added to its No. 1 broadcasting team for the AFC Sunday afternoon package. Simms had never called a game before, and now he was thrust into the top commentator job for AFC games — sound familiar?

Simms stayed with NBC until 1998, when CBS took over the AFC package. He’s been at CBS as the top AFC analyst ever since. And now, according to Chris Simms, he’s been demoted without any notice. Chris thinks that was unfair to his dad. Perhaps it’s a case of what goes around, comes around.

89 responses to “CBS is treating Phil Simms the way Phil Simms treated ESPN

1. I grew tired of Simms. I think that’s with any sports announcer. My current favorite is Jon Gruden. But I’ll probably get tired of, “That’s Wild, Man” after a while.

2. I think Phil Simms, Troy Aikman, Gruden and Fouts are all enjoyable. Then again, I watch the Browns and we get the amateur broadcasters. Anyway, I think all these guys know the game inside and out and translate the play on the field well.

It seems to me that Simms and Fouts give the refs the benefit of the doubt more than Aikman and Gruden.

3. A 24 year career in broadcasting is considered a success by anyone but the most unreasonable person. Or, by someone who has never worked in the field to know how difficult it is.

4. I grew tired of Simms. I think that’s with any sports announcer. My current favorite is Jon Gruden. But I’ll probably get tired of, “That’s Wild, Man” after a while.
    —————–
    I like Gruden too, but by the end of watching one of his games I’m convinced that the quality of every player on the field ranges from “really good” to “terrific”.

5. Seriously, PFT? FACT: Simms was NOT under contract at that time when he moved to NBC. Even ESPN Mike Soltys said there were “many significant issues” that they were trying to work out, primarily that Simms wanted to do some announcing instead of just studio work.

ESPN was fully aware of what Simms was looking for in 1995 during contract negotiations. Here, CBS completely blindsided an employee without the courtesy of telling him even after Romo signed on. That was Chris Simms point – sure, you can get replaced, but have the decency of notifying him before he hears it from media.

6. I miss the days of Charlie Jones with Trumpy calling 3pm West coast games. Merlin Olsen and Dick Enberg as well. Summerl and Madden we classic but Summeral and Brookshire was Sunday football elite.

7. Can we fast forward to the future where Phil Simms is not talked about? I never decide whether to watch a game because of the announcer. It’s like the fake grass at the bottom of an Easter basket. It’s not going to determine whether or not I will eat the candy that came with it.

8. CBS was a bit premature in ousting Simms for Romo. What if Romo sucks? I’d think they’d give Romo a lesser gig first and see how he does before handing him the top pairing.

Romo could still get an offer to play as well before the season starts.

9. vikingdoode says:
    Apr 7, 2017 10:23 AM

———-
    Those days were the last time the Vikings had a competitive team

10. vikingdoode says:
    Apr 7, 2017 10:23 AM

And Ray Scott, with his incredible “Less is More” approach…

Q: Why do they Have to Banter between Every Single Play?
    A: They Don’t.

11. Well, once Eli Manning retires he will replace Romo. Eli has always owned Romo. Then the Giants will have their QB back in that position.

12. NOBODY COULD STAND PHIL SIMMS ANYWAY!!! There were actual petitions with thousands of signatures in attempt to have him replaced….. for good reason too, he was awful. His thoughts were choppy and often misguided and he has NO PERSONALITY whatsoever. He was always the wrong guy for that job. IMHO.

13. Simms is a dog end. Romo could puke all over himself and it would be more insightful and entertaining than Simms on his best day.

14. Simms’ constant nonsensical babbling during a game made them unlistenable. It’s like he’s ( and Collingsworth) petrified of dead air and feel the need to spout out whatever is in his head. Very annoying. Just shut up and let’s watch the game. Now what can we do about Collingsworth? He makes Dan Deardorf sound like Shakespear.

15. Phill’s departure from ESPN isn’t the crime of the century. Phill’s a big boy . . . he’s going to be fine. He can play minor league baseball with Tebow if he wants to.

16. I believe the saying is…”What comes around, goes around.”
    But you said it the way Emmitt Smith would’ve said it…so I saw what you did there, Florio…

17. “Simms had never called a game before, and now he was thrust into the top commentator job for AFC games — sound familiar?”

But as previously noted he had spent time showing he was comfortable behind a mic. The situations are hardly analogous. Even Madden did an ‘apprenticeship’ calling B & C games for 2 years.

18. Simms seemed lost or disengaged during broadcasts. Nantz would seem to set him up to make an observation and either nothing or something obvious would come out of his mouth.
    He has lost something on his fastball

19. Why do people get so cranked up about announcers? I’m too busy watching the game to pay much attention to them.

20. Simms was boring, babbling and all too often got it wrong. Anyone who seriously understands the game could spot his gaffes any number of times, every game.

21. Years ago, they broadcast a game with no announcers, just regular stadium noise…I hope they would give that another try. Sometimes it is almost intolerable to listen to them fawn over one player or team, make mistakes on the outcomes of replay challenges etc. etc.

22. I’m excited my ears excited about the possibility of a better option and my eyes are excited that they don’t have to look at that soft chinned Muppet anymore.

23. sellingadream says:
    Apr 7, 2017 10:13 AM
    =======================================

Agreed 100%. Is there a journalist/ broadcaster/ analyst that PFT actually likes? Every single one of them mentioned in the news gets bashed and is accused of: being a hack, washed up, “has a vendetta”, are lying to get attention, was a terrible player/ coach, etc.

24. Romo, as a commentator, will match Romo as a player. He’ll crumble in December, and never make any noise in the playoffs. Hope he has a good backup.

25. I grew tired of Simms. I think that’s with any sports announcer. My current favorite is Jon Gruden. But I’ll probably get tired of, “That’s Wild, Man” after a while.
    _______________€____
    No different than John Madden always saying “Boom!” They both are/were very entertaining and bring good energy to the telecast.

26. Simms is an excellent and frank commentator. The idea that he jilted ESPN for the #1 team announcing NFL games is foolish. Anyone takes that career opportunity.

27. Phil Simms should have been an outspoken leftist. Said something about how evil and racist America is, disrespected the flag or something. The media (especially ESPN) would have gushed all over him and he’d have had a job for life.

28. Phil butchered the English language, his facts were often wrong,he was bias toward certain teams,he over stated the obvious and verbally stepped on his coworker. Other than that he wasn’t that bad.

29. kevinlawrencecantor says:
    Apr 7, 2017 11:12 AM
    Who watches regular afternoon games?

Just put RedZone on.
    =======================

Some of us are adults that don’t play DFS and actually enjoy the game itself.

30. Simms being referred to as the ‘top’ AFC broadcaster is laughable. I’m sure hearing that word tossed around would have made it that much easier to ask Simms to start calling Jags games with Fouts.

CBS has the absolute worst stable of announcers.

And people need to get off of Collinsworth’s back. The only person better than Chris would be his QB, Boomer.

31. Phil Simms problems is that is talks non-stop and says very little. As far as Chris Simms, give it a rest. So your daddy got demoted without being told. Welcome to the real world.

32. Nobody cares what you think Chris. That’s network life. I think Romo may be a little gun shy at the start but I think he’s going to be great cause he’s a football fanatic.

33. mygirlhassuperhairymanarms says:
    Apr 7, 2017 11:41 AM
    Dan Fouts sounds like he hates his job and always talks down to the fans. Time for him to go.

And please NFLN, get rid of Michaell Irving. Unwatchable!
    ——————————————————————-
    Who’s Michael Irving? Is he Dr. J’s brother?

34. Ya and Phil through a fit and got Major Applewhite benched for his garbage son. Predictably, his son was terrible and blown away. Similarly to how Phil “blew” Jim Nantz away when he shat on him in the playoffs.

35. I am old school, but the best broadcasting team was Dandy Don, Frank Gifford and that pompous, arrogant, attorney gas bag, Cossell. Man, what a crazy mix of separate personalties. Love him or hIim or hate him, Howard was must watch tv. I witnessed first hand, sitting behind the MNF booth, Howard just pounding down the scotch which became noticeable during the second half. Prolly up there was Pat Sumrall and John Madden. They too were very good.

36. vikingdoode says:
    Apr 7, 2017 10:23 AM
    ————————————————————-I enjoyed Curt Gowdy and Al derogatis too. I think the only contempory that measures up is Al Michaels.

37. I liked Phil. I think sometimes when you have the same partner for a long time, you get into habits that are maybe a bit annoying, but he was a good analyst. I hope to see him somewhere else.

38. I don’t get the Collinsworth hate. The guy provides the most in-depth analysis of key plays than any other color commentator. I remember in Super Bowl XLIX he immediately called out Brandon Browner’s beating of the Seahawks pick play as being key to Butler’s interception.

39. what if Dak gets hurt in the preseason ? And Romo goes back to the Cowboys. Nance going to do games alone? Plan B?

40. skittlesareyum says:
    Apr 7, 2017 12:56 PM

————————————————————————-
    That was pass interference that wasnt called.

41. Oh good Lord, get over it. This is the nature of the entertainment business. Few announcers are good enough to never be exposed to this type of change; Simms is certainly not one of them.

42. He could be calling a Jags v Titans game or a Browns v Bengals game, doesn’t matter what city/stadium he enters ,he will get treated first class. No reason to get salty, it’s a damn good gig to be one of the few to call a game. Big deal that you get a new partner…it’s now a new opportunity to work with somebody else, you might learn some new stuff and get better, everyone can always get better.

43. skittlesareyum says:
    Apr 7, 2017 12:56 PM

—————

I like Phil. I don’t actually think the job he did was the problem. He’s likely getting replaced for something off camera. He is a pretty opinionated guy.

Collinsworth is great too. The only complaint I have is he tends to gush over which ever team happens to have the lead at the time.

Fouts is the guy that drives me crazy. If someone is just a casual fan then maybe he would be great, but for people that truly follow the sport, I think he’s more like captain obvious.

44. Simms and his son are both very arrogant. At least Phil was an excellent QB. His son stunk.

45. Never had an issue with Simms. And, if his contract was up, how is his getting replaced the same as him leaving for a new network. He was unemployed.

46. I feel bad for Simms….getting replaced after 20 years by a younger
    prettier face…..I bet that never happened to a female broadcaster,
    female sideline reporter or other female participant in the entertainment industry.

47. I didn’t mind Phil Simms. This situation has got to be hard if it came out of the blue.

As for Chris, that kid has only received opportunities because of his last name and his dad’s connections. He’s never accomplished anything. He was awful at Texas and did nothing in the NFL. My advice to him is to keep his mouth shut and try to blend in.

48. I can’t believe all the bad mouthing Phil Simms is getting in some of these comments. I watched the games to see the football, not listen to the announcers. If you people were so hung up on Simms, or on any commentator, to have to trash talk them, then maybe you were watching football for the wrong reasons.

49. I didn’t mind Simms he’s no Al Michaels or Pat Summerall but he’s light years more enjoyable than Dan Fouts and Jon Gruden. Seriously Gruden is the worst.

50. I just mute most of the MORONS we get to announce Phins games. They all seem to be bias against the Phins or just blatantly for the other team all the same. I just sit in silence and enjoy game, don’t need some idiotic announcer to enjoy game.