Report: Trade talks were Richard Sherman’s idea

Getty Images

While it’s still a bit surprising, there are at least ways to justify the Seahawks wanting to trade cornerback Richard Sherman — such as the financial flexibility and need to get younger that a deal would provide.

But what’s not expected was that Sherman may have been the one who started it.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Sherman “initiated” the trade talks, and the Seahawks were merely trying to accommodate the star corner by making some calls.

The evidence of strain in the relationship showed up last year, but none of the incidents seemed to rise to the level of causing a divorce.

If Sherman’s sufficiently disillusioned with what’s going on in Seattle, perhaps he’s trying to stay in front of the posse by suggesting a deal. So far, he’s not said anything inflammatory, insisting there was “no bad blood.”

But if he’s the one beating the drum for a deal, he might have been underselling things.

40 responses to “Report: Trade talks were Richard Sherman’s idea

1. I kept saying that the Seahawks window was closing and all you heard from the little “12’s” was they were a dynasty. Your o-line is garbage. Your running backs are mediocre, your defense is aging, you’re not going to have any cap space for a while. Jimmy Graham has been a bust ever since being traded and is gone after this year, likewise with Chancellor. Even Sherman isn’t dumb enough to sit there and watch that dumpster fire ignite. Seattle is done. You 12’s can back to rooting for Dallas, Pittsburgh, New England again.

2. Dude is tanking his organization’s ability to recoup value. This helps no one including Dick. Next stop: Locker Room Cancer

3. It is like when the First Mate on the Titanic asked to have his quarters traded to the life boat, you kind of knew something wasn’t right.

4. ……so basically your saying a team that was in cap purgatory had it’s star player suggest they trade Him to advance their situation?

Richard, your a scholar and a gentleman! Hats off to You!

5. “I kept saying that the Seahawks window was closing and all you heard from the little “12’s” was they were a dynasty.”

The Seahawks have made it to the divisional round of the playoffs or beyond for the last 5 seasons; won a superbowl, lost a superbowl, lost twice to teams who represented the NFC in the superbowl.

I’ll admit the window is beginning to close, but I’m not sure you should be smugly taking any credit for crying wolf for years until it happened. Otherwise, congrats on your common sense that NFL windows close.

6. Finding out his trade value will help both sides make decisions down the road. Not sure I agree with the notion that this is bad for the Seahawk/Sherman relationship either.

7. I’m just happy to have seen the Seahawks win one Super Bowl in my lifetime and I’m ok with them losing two. Anything good that happens with the team for the rest of my life will just be an added bonus. Anything bad, like this Sherman drama, is nothing to sweat. I really don’t care.
    This team used to be so bad. It gives every team and fan in the league hope for a future winner.

8. FOUR STAGES OF AN NFL CAREER:

1. “Who is Richard Sherman?”
    2. “Get me Richard Sherman.”
    3. “Get me a young Richard Sherman.”
    4. “Who is Richard Sherman?”

9. I’ve read a few posts on other articles where people speculate he could be going to NE. I highly doubt that. Remember that little rant about Michael Crabtree after the NFC playoff game a few years back? Could you ever imagine a NE player acting like that? I don’t think BB would ever sign a player who would behave like that.

10. I kept saying that the Seahawks window was closing and all you heard from the little “12’s” was they were a dynasty. Your o-line is garbage. Your running backs are mediocre, your defense is aging, you’re not going to have any cap space for a while. Jimmy Graham has been a bust ever since being traded and is gone after this year, likewise with Chancellor. Even Sherman isn’t dumb enough to sit there and watch that dumpster fire ignite. Seattle is done. You 12’s can back to rooting for Dallas, Pittsburgh, New England again.
    ________________________________________

We have owned your team like we have owned this Division. How does it feel picking so high up in the draft? It has been so long for us, that I have forgotten.

11. I don’t buy the Seahawks were sending a disciplinary message to Sherman. That hasn’t been Schneider/Carroll’s way. They let the players be themselves. Look how they let Marshawn be Marshawn. I think they just look at everything that could make their team better. Maybe there is CB in the draft they think they can get who can replace Sherman. Why not sell high on him, save the $, get a pick and extend the window. Now this news about Sherman asking for a trade. Right. That is pure face-saving PR stuff.

12. Sherman is probably still p.o.’ed That Darrell Bevill is still calling plays for the Seahawks.
    And I certainly don’t blame Sherm for that.

But if Pete Carroll is going to keep his OC (who gets outsmarted by his opposite number and who can’t call 4 minute or 2 minute offenses effectively – then Sherm probably has to go.

Too bad.

13. xdolfan says:
    Apr 7, 2017 1:43 PM

Sherman isn’t that good at acting. This trade talk totally caught him flat-footed, and now he’s back-pedaling.

I agree 100%. When the trade talk first hit the press, Sherman was laughing it off like it could never happen. Now he is leaking that he initiated the trade talks. Gotta call bs on that one.

14. Sherman, like many Hawks fans, has never forgiven Bevell for his idiotic play call(given the personnel on both sides) in the SB. The frustration continued last year while the Offense was struggling with Wilson’s injuries and more questionable calls. If Bevell was gone(how I wish he could have pulled a Shannahan and gotten of dodge after that epic failure of a play call) I bet none of this happens.

15. DrSteveBrule says:
    Apr 7, 2017 1:23 PM

——————————————-

The Seahawks could easily be 3-0 in Super Bowls. They were seriously jobbed by the officials in their first one against Pittsburgh. And we all know what happened a few years ago against New England.

16. 44boz says:
    Apr 7, 2017 1:44 PM

____________________________________

Or, you know, maybe you were not a fan of the team back when they were picking at #6 and #14 in the 2010 draft or #4 in 2009 draft. You are not helping the image that the 12’s did not become fans until 2012.

17. Ok, then. Which story is BS? The one where he was taken aback by trade rumors and laughed it off as ridiculous, or this one? This is nothing but a shallow man trying to keep his rep so he doesn’t look ‘disrespected’.

18. I’ve read a few posts on other articles where people speculate he could be going to NE. I highly doubt that. Remember that little rant about Michael Crabtree after the NFC playoff game a few years back? Could you ever imagine a NE player acting like that? I don’t think BB would ever sign a player who would behave like that.

——————————–

Of course BB wouldn’t?! I mean it’s not like his team fielded a murdered in Aaron Hernandez, or 2 time suspended drug abuser Brandon Browner, or extreme DUI charged Michael Floyd or groupie banging Edelman or huge stoner Blount. But god forbid he ever accept an outspoken player on the team! That must be where he draws the line!

19. 44boz says:
    Apr 7, 2017 1:44 PM

_________________________________________

Congratulation, the only thing you have accomplished is exposing yourself as nothing more than a bandwagon fan.

20. southpaw79 says:
    Apr 7, 2017 2:10 PM

_________________________________________

Hell, you really only have to go back to 2012 where they traded their high draft pick. 2011 was a losing season for the Seahawks so if that guy can’t remember it you can tell the type of “fan” that he really is.

21. From “I just laugh it off, man” to “I meant to do that” in 2 short weeks. Richard Sherman, putting the db in DB since 2011

22. bobthebillsfan ,

No, he just traded for the guy who said straight cash homie and I play when I want to play, and he also traded for Haynesworth once upon a time, and he also traded for Chad Johnson after years of harmless antics on the field. So yeah, you don’t know what BB will do.

23. jason9696 says:
    Apr 7, 2017 2:01 PM
    DrSteveBrule says:
    Apr 7, 2017 1:23 PM

——————————————-

______________________

Yep, a circus catch that can never be replicated in 1000 chances. Followed by the interception.

24. Further tests show that that the blood was not bad, but O-Positive, also known as the universal trade partner for other blood.

25. ireallydontcareonesinglebit says:
    Apr 7, 2017 3:18 PM

Because he was being oh-so-literal.

26. stipez says:
    Apr 7, 2017 7:11 PM

Still flying that flag with the SB record, “1-2”

Proudly. More appearances in the league championship game than 18 other teams in the league. And a better SB record than Buffalo, Minnesota, Atlanta, Carolina, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Arizona, Tennessee, and the Chargers.

27. The guy is 2% muscle and 98% Mouth. No teams wants anything to do with him. His last year in Seattle was last year. He was burned by more rookies last year, than little thunderlips , went through heads.