Phil Simms breaks silence: “I am not done”

Getty Images

Phil Simms is done as the No. 1 NFL game analyst at CBS. Beyond that, he still plans to continue with his talking-about-football career.

I am not done,” Simms told Gary Myers of the New York Daily News.

It’s the first quote from Simms since CBS unceremoniously removed him from one of the best seats in broadcasting with no apparent plan for him moving forward. If, in our view, CBS viewed Simms as a key member of the ongoing NFL coverage, the plan for his future would have been announced at the same time Romo’s arrival was unveiled.

Reportedly under contract for two more years with CBS, the two sides could end up wrestling over what the network will pay him to go away. Barring specific contractual language that limits his assignment to the top broadcasting team, CBS could appoint him to any of the other rungs on the ladder, possibly relegating him to the lowest-level game every week. He’d still be paid the same amount, but the blow to the ego could be more than Simms is willing to endure, which could cause him to accept a settlement of, say, 60 cents on the dollar in order to go away.

As Myers notes, the No. 2 spot at FOX with Kevin Burkhardt is still open; Simms could land there, if FOX wants him — and if Burkhardt has little or no sense of smell.

As PFT previously pointed out, it makes sense to put Simms in the seat Tony Gonzalez recently vacated on the pregame show. But if CBS and Simms wanted that, it presumably would have already happened.

Wherever Simms goes from here, it clearly will be a step down. The way CBS has handled the situation strongly suggests that they hope he eventually steps out of that specific network entirely, with a severance package barely large enough to afford Joe Namath’s coat.

And, yes, I fully intended to keep typing until I figured out how to work Namath and his coat into this one, in order to justify the photo selection.

Permalink 80 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
80 Responses to “Phil Simms breaks silence: “I am not done””
  1. hishighness says: Apr 8, 2017 1:48 PM

Phil Simms is a great commentator, all you haters are morons. This is the worst move by CBS since they put that idiot Corden in to replace Craig Ferguson.

2. eglsfan says: Apr 8, 2017 1:54 PM

Im not done……farting in the booth

3. noknoknokpenny says: Apr 8, 2017 1:58 PM

Simms has had to cover the AFC.

For 17 years he has had to tell football fans in 31 cities that the Patriots are a better team.

That has made him very unpopular.

Simms would be more popular if the Patriots had been to fewer Super Bowls

4. clayjtitan66 says: Apr 8, 2017 2:07 PM

That sucks 😞

5. nfloracle says: Apr 8, 2017 2:09 PM

With a coat as crazy wild as the one Namath was wearing there’s never any justification needed to post an image of it.

Heck, I never get tired of seeing that coat, and I’d get one for myself if I didn’t already know the old lady would throw a fit if I came home in it.

6. kingpel says: Apr 8, 2017 2:14 PM

I dont understand why people would assume Simms would go from being their tops color guy to unemployed. Just drop him down a notch. I think he does a solid job.

7. dsigrey says: Apr 8, 2017 2:17 PM

Guys, Simm is clearly past his prime. Just read his quotes from last season and it’s more than obvious.

8. mrwalterisgod says: Apr 8, 2017 2:23 PM

While Simms isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed, I can appreciate his honesty over fraudulent, overhyped, Jimmy Fallon level fake excitement that you get from a John Gruden or John Lynch when he was with FOX.

I won’t miss Phil, but boy was he worlds better than Chris Berman or Dan Fouts…

9. tommymomoney says: Apr 8, 2017 2:24 PM

He’d be perfect for that Spring League that no one is going to watch.

10. trubroncfan07 says: Apr 8, 2017 2:30 PM

Simms did a good job, everyone hating is just pissed because he did not pat their team on the back enough. No way Romo fills those shoes. CBS did both a disfavor. NBC Sports is sure enjoying this story.

11. theandy59 says: Apr 8, 2017 2:31 PM

Simms seldom tells me something I don’t already know, and very often makes comments that are so obviously incorrect that I wonder if he’s watching the same game as me. Good riddance!

12. getout1 says: Apr 8, 2017 2:48 PM

no one cares!!!

13. Bizzareslantpass says: Apr 8, 2017 2:50 PM

Well that stinks.

14. maust1013 says: Apr 8, 2017 2:55 PM

Simms must have ticked off someone at CBS besides Nantz not to land in the open studio spot. Unlike his color work he is very good in studio on Inside the NFL.

15. JustinD says: Apr 8, 2017 2:59 PM

Simms and Namath both look like dried apple-head dolls in that photo. It’s damn creepy.

16. laserw says: Apr 8, 2017 3:14 PM

The fork in your back, Philly, says that you are done and you should move on to a job that doesn’t require your level of self-love.

17. forbestd says: Apr 8, 2017 3:19 PM

I’m not done……saying the receiver ran “acrossed” the field.

18. moondog7 says: Apr 8, 2017 3:22 PM

Next move get joe buck outta there

19. nyneal says: Apr 8, 2017 3:46 PM

He’s right. Some other dopes will hire him.

20. NFLisnotreality says: Apr 8, 2017 4:01 PM

A close second maybe even possibly a tie would be Kramer’s pimp coat and hat. Namath edges him out because well it’s football…

21. pchaupt says: Apr 8, 2017 4:08 PM

No matter where he ends up, wait….I don’t care.

22. my_old_name_was_offensive says: Apr 8, 2017 4:18 PM

Simms wouldn’t say the word Redskins! That made him unprofessional!! In Django Unchained, Leonardo DiCaprio says the “n” word…not because he’s racist, but because it was his job according to the script. If you’re going to cover professional Football, you call them the Redskins!!! Otherwise find another job…

23. davedsone says: Apr 8, 2017 4:26 PM

I like Phil. He’s smart and is a good analyst. Some of the hubris about his comes from his admiration of Bill Belichick and the Patriots and his relationship with Bill Parcells. I don’t get it. I hope he gets a job and gets to cover Patriots games.

24. silentcount says: Apr 8, 2017 4:32 PM

If someone paid me lots of money to watch NFL games and give my opinion for 10 years, I’d just say thank you when it was over. I think I could find a way to spend my money and enjoy life.

25. slick50kc says: Apr 8, 2017 4:34 PM

You’re ALL gonna miss Phil after Romo takes a seat in the booth.

26. tonebones says: Apr 8, 2017 4:44 PM

I’ve never watched a game, or not watched a game because of who the announcers were. Most of the time I don’t even know who’s announcing the game because I’m rewinding plays and fast forwarding between plays. But how do we even know Tony Romo is going to make it. He’s unproven at this point.

27. campcouch says: Apr 8, 2017 4:57 PM

I’ll take Simms over Irving, Sanders, Lewis, Cowher, Faulk, Gruden and an unnamed talking head who seems to inject his political views into my entertainment.

28. tigerlilac says: Apr 8, 2017 4:59 PM

I would bet dollars to donuts that Simms was considered too frank for some owners. His high praise of the Patriots, combined with their constant winning, must have had the panties of more than one powerful owner (and Goodell) in a bunch.

29. genericcommenter says: Apr 8, 2017 5:02 PM

slick50kc says:
    Apr 8, 2017 4:34 PM
    You’re ALL gonna miss Phil after Romo takes a seat in the booth.
    —————–

I read “seat” wrong…

30. samuraisword51 says: Apr 8, 2017 5:03 PM

I liked Simms ok as an announcer, but I’ll shed no tears for him either. Nobody gets to be on the network’s #1 lineup forever. His next contract, with whomever, will almost certainly be for less $$$, but Phil should be doing fine financially regardless. Again, no tears.

31. tigerlilac says: Apr 8, 2017 5:04 PM

Inside the NFL keeps trying to promote guys like Marshall who always force it. Simms is a natural.

32. charger383 says: Apr 8, 2017 5:10 PM

The picture show his new job is to brush dirt off Joe’s coat

33. terryleather says: Apr 8, 2017 5:30 PM

CBS needs to clean house. Their pregame show has always been painful to watch. Bill Cowher is the worst, Boomer Esiason always sounds like he’s got laryngitis, and I can’t even figure out how Bart Scott got the job to begin with. And worst of all, none of them can ever complete a sentence before another one interrupts them.

34. xenova1 says: Apr 8, 2017 5:37 PM

Simms might have been liked by those with a mediocre knowledge of football. He did not enhance the game to those who are enthusiasts. He was Captain Obvious by stating such things at halftime that the losing team just needed to get more positive plays than the other team and they’ll be right back into the game. That is one of many examples that he said that irked me.

Yes, I agree with the above that Joe Buck needs to go. And yes, there are others at the same level as Simms. We need a Madden-type of announcer with a football personality and legacy.

35. jimair1 says: Apr 8, 2017 5:41 PM

“I saw a football player ran acrossed the city of Dinver after a Bingals football game” Nuff said

Go away Phil

36. buffalo75vette says: Apr 8, 2017 5:45 PM

The guy was stuck in the 80’s. Always calling plays that are absolutely wrong, the right thing to do. Over the hill as an commentator. Glad he’s gone…

37. cribbage12 says: Apr 8, 2017 5:54 PM

Didn’t know Namath had such a tiny melon.

38. dmc1542 says: Apr 8, 2017 5:54 PM

So people don’t like him because he’s nice to the Patriots? We don’t like him either

39. 3yardsndust says: Apr 8, 2017 5:55 PM

Phil Simms was a blowhard of the first magnitude whose “insight” into the games consisted of blather, idiocy and the incredibly obvious. I routinely turned the sound off of any game he was calling – just awful.

40. whatjusthapped says: Apr 8, 2017 6:22 PM

Phil is right, he’s not done, he’s finished.

41. ibillwt says: Apr 8, 2017 6:31 PM

I liked Phil because he always mentioned how much better prepared the Patriots were. Gonna miss eeem.

42. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 8, 2017 6:42 PM

Namath needs that coat in warm weather, when your cardio vascular system is pumping 80% alcohol, it’s not easy to produce body heat.

43. nashvilleseahawk says: Apr 8, 2017 6:43 PM

I would rather eat my own vomit and perform self castration than to listen to the blowhard Simms. I always mute the games he’s calling and have done so for years. Worst. Announcer. Ever!

Someone stated correctly, that if you’re a casual observer of the game and not a true fan, I guess he’s fine. But if you ever played beyond Pop Warner level, then you’re way beyond anything Simms could ever convey to you.

44. touchdownelvis says: Apr 8, 2017 6:44 PM

Phil Simms breaks silence, wind.

45. SparkyGump says: Apr 8, 2017 6:49 PM

Wherever he ends up, send Collingsworth there with him.I’ve heard better color commentary coming out of a chicken coop.

46. TheWizard says: Apr 8, 2017 6:51 PM

John Madden chased me from some games. What everybody thought was so brilliant, I’ll never know. Greg Gumbel a close second.

47. walker1191 says: Apr 8, 2017 7:34 PM

I like Simms.

I have no idea what the network is expecting from Romo, but I think there is a decent chance that he will suck at a job he’s never, ever tried before.

48. wyrdawg says: Apr 8, 2017 8:29 PM

TAAAA-DAAAAAA.

49. ChampKind813 says: Apr 8, 2017 8:32 PM

He broke his silence by breaking wind….again — signed , Jim Nanz nose hairs

50. TD Hawk says: Apr 8, 2017 8:36 PM

Studio seat OK. Please spare us the game “analysis”, which is not.

51. danoregon says: Apr 8, 2017 8:45 PM

Simms won’t be the first partner Nantz has traded in for a younger model.

52. Exapno Mapcase says: Apr 8, 2017 9:18 PM

Onto the Arena League, Phil!

53. raiderinva says: Apr 8, 2017 9:30 PM

——————–

Maybe the best and most honest writing yet Mr. Florio

54. orangeraider says: Apr 8, 2017 9:32 PM

Big Deal.
    Take your millions and tell CBS to kiss your butt.
    CBS, sucks anyways

55. the610limited says: Apr 8, 2017 9:40 PM

This move by CBS Sports stinks worse than what Phil unleashed in the booth. He blew fumes. CBS left a pile. Very classy, CBS Sports. Very classy.

56. pthepro49 says: Apr 8, 2017 9:51 PM

Phil Sims had no business working next to Jim Nance. So glad CBS came to there senses. I also agree CBS needs to replace every single person in the studio, especially Cower and Bart Scott. If they do that I might start watching their Sunday pregame instead of Fox. Lets see what CBS’s next move is. Sims might fit it on Good Morning Football on the NFL Network but I doubt it.

57. pthepro49 says: Apr 8, 2017 9:55 PM

Still cant believe Phil Sims won a Superbowl, but then again so did Jeff Hostetler so that’s not saying much except Bill Parcells is one of the greatest coaches ever.

58. QB Film Room says: Apr 8, 2017 10:06 PM

IDK I liked Simms but maybe because i have similar intelligence to him

59. checkxtheblock says: Apr 8, 2017 11:34 PM

Who cares who the reporter is. I always liked Sims but I guarantee I have never watched a game based on who the reporter was.

60. aredsoxfan1 says: Apr 8, 2017 11:51 PM

CBS is only about a decade late booting the dope. But then again, maybe former football players are all just dumb. I find that almost all of the color analysts (Simms, Fouts, Gruden, Aikmen, etc…) add very little to the broadcast. I usually find myself correcting them while I am watching the game. Probably the best idea would be to get all of the jocks out of the booth. Sean McDonough gives more insight in one broadcast than Simms has in his entire career.

61. jayboggs3 says: Apr 9, 2017 12:06 AM

Simms is a fraud, can’t believe after all these years he’s now calling the Redskins, Washington. What happened during the 80’s when he played them and he never refused to call them the Redskins.

62. ruffbufffire says: Apr 9, 2017 1:50 AM

Simms is trash! Im glad to see him go. Joe Buck is only guy worst thsn Simms

63. rugolin says: Apr 9, 2017 3:39 AM

I always remembered that they tried an experiment where they the NFL in a couple of games just televised the game with no announcers and in the CFL there were several weeks without announcers because of a television union workers strike. In both cases the rating went up for unannounced games compared to the weeks with announcers. I wonder if there is a lesson in that networks could save a whole lot of money just by not having people telling the viewers what they just saw for themselves and not having to invent dramatic storylines to make games seem more exciting.

64. OneOpinion says: Apr 9, 2017 4:43 AM

Everyone is “expendable” and sooner or later they will be replaced; Phil Simms saying “I am not done” can be put alongside of those spoken by the Captain of the Titanic…….

65. nhpats says: Apr 9, 2017 5:13 AM

pthepro49 says:
    Apr 8, 2017 9:55 PM

——

Simms had the highest completion % ever in a SB

66. sparxx2157 says: Apr 9, 2017 6:49 AM

These networks do that to everybody every time a player retires that they think was decent somebody’s going to lose their job at the network they did the same thing when Tony Gonzalez retire they bumped the next guy for the new guy

67. eddielionhead says: Apr 9, 2017 7:33 AM

You do great work Mr. Simms, and have a long way to go. If you don’t work for CBS I hope you join the Fox team. GOOD LUCK

68. twoteamsforlosangeles says: Apr 9, 2017 8:19 AM

I still think he’s decent, but they never should have broken him and Gumbel up, IMO

69. bbk1000 says: Apr 9, 2017 9:24 AM

pthepro49 says:
    Apr 8, 2017 9:55 PM

——————————————————

You didn’t watch the Giants back then…Say what you want about him in the broadcast booth, but Simms was a great QB.

Better than quite a few in the HOF in fact…

70. JaminJake says: Apr 9, 2017 9:40 AM

Simms doesn’t realize sometimes being done isn’t your choice.

71. troy43mvp says: Apr 9, 2017 10:20 AM

He should announce soccer since I am already not watching that….

72. rootpain says: Apr 9, 2017 11:16 AM

I think NBc goes after him. They can use the new blood as a part of their game color commentary. And they can also add him to their football blog to write along side of their other hotshot who refuses to say Redskins.

73. pelonvision says: Apr 9, 2017 12:02 PM

Phil Simms was sure the whipping boy of many viewers and I believe just fans who never liked or embraced Phil Simms the player.
    Yes he made gasps and some simple observations under a microscope, but cause Tony Romo had the face, to replace the #1 CBS team is a bold move. Not even sure Romo will nail this gig, thinking CBS wanted to grab the pretty face before another network asked him out per see.

74. thetooloftools says: Apr 9, 2017 12:23 PM

Nobody pulled like BROADway Joe.

75. struckgold49er says: Apr 9, 2017 12:26 PM

CBS , just please don’t pair him with Greg Gumble. Talk about a yawn fest!.!!

76. A happy green parrot says: Apr 9, 2017 2:40 PM

I cant believe somebody figured out a way to blame this on the New England Team.

77. omeimontis says: Apr 9, 2017 3:04 PM

of all the HOF inductees, Broadway Joe and Kurt Warner are probably the least deserving.

78. realtruthteller100 says: Apr 9, 2017 3:31 PM

i for one will still listen to my tapes of old phill sims calls during live action next season. will make the game a little harder to follow but will help me get over this crushing loss.

79. harissonhits2 says: Apr 10, 2017 4:34 AM

Simms wouldn’t say REDSKINS; a stupid move that appeases the less than 8% of faux-offended Native Americans and white guilt-ridden liberals.

Nice move Simms; enjoy unemployment. You sucked anyhow.

Signed,

Native American

80. a10acosta says: Apr 13, 2017 8:59 PM

mrwalterisgod says:
    Apr 8, 2017 2:23 PM

I won’t miss Phil, but boy was he worlds better than Chris Berman or Dan Fouts…———————————————————————————————————————————————-Better than Chris Berman!!! Chris Berman is a LEGEND in NFL broadcasting. No one, in my opinion, was better or more entertaining at calling a game or in general talking about the NFL. He’s the Marv Albert of football.