Myles Garrett: If Browns pass on me, I’ll “punish” them

Getty Images

Myles Garrett carries himself with confidence, as a No. 1 overall pick should.

If the Browns pass him up at No. 1, he’ll carry a grudge, too.

The former Texas A&M pass rusher and likely top draft choice on April 27 looks to help lead a turnaround of the Browns’ organization. If not given the chance, the defender says he’ll take offense, his comments part of a revealing look into Garrett’s personality and approach in advance of this month’s draft.

Garrett covered a number of topics in a recent Q&A article, which will appear in the April 24 issue of ESPN The Magazine. Among them, he vowed to “punish” the Browns if passed up, as he looks to “exceed” Jerry Rice in becoming regarded as “the greatest that ever played, regardless of position or era.”

The 21-year-old described a recent dinner with Hue Jackson during which the Browns coach said he’d be “happy to take me.”

Garrett said in the article the Browns should “because I’ll be a difference maker from day one. And I’m not gonna be in any trouble. I’m just gonna make plays and bring a good atmosphere to your organization. And I’m gonna start winning and winning now.

“And because if you don’t draft me No. 1, I will punish your team for the next 10 to 12 years. I’ll knock your QB out of the game every time we play you, and I’ll have to kick the hell out of No. 1, whoever it is.”

Ultimately, these words are mere fodder.

The Browns have heard similar self-assurances, drafting Johnny Manziel in 2014 after he reportedly sent a text message to then-quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains, vowing that, if selected, the two parties would “wreck this league together.”

They kind of did, depending on your definition of “wreck.”

There seems less naivety and more healthy confidence in Garrett’s comments. And really, his remarks are best digested in the context of the entire interview, whose topics include Garrett’s interest in poetry and paleontology. He said that his shortcoming is shyness in social situations, being especially uncomfortable in group settings.

Garrett also acknowledged the Cowboys are his “hometown team,” hence his asking owner Jerry Jones to select him in a February video.

“But when push comes to shove, I want to go No. 1,” Garrett said. “I don’t want trades, wondering where my fate lies. Whoever has the first pick, just go ahead and take me. I have no allegiance. I want to go No. 1.”

If not No. 1, he wants the team that passes on him to pay.

93 responses to “Myles Garrett: If Browns pass on me, I’ll “punish” them

1. Jimmy to the browns + patriots 2018 1st for #1 oa and sounds like the perfect belicheat player with a false sense of toughness.

2. #ugh He hasn’t even played a snap in the NFL and I’m already looking forward to him retiring and getting out of the limelight.

Is this guy related to Lavar Ball? He sure talks a lot.

3. Are you so set on following in the footsteps of other Browns’ first rounders? I guess playing for the Browns would be an easy job compared to other teams if that’s what you’re looking for in your career.

4. wib22 says:
    Apr 9, 2017 5:22 PM
    —-
    Wahhhhh wahhhhhh, the patriots win too much. Please take more draft picks from them Mr Goodell, and suspend Tom for 8 games this year.

5. This dude will be a bust. He racked up most of his sacks, etc.. Against NON SEC teams. Against the SEC his numbers were not good. Waaay overrated, and he is soft.

6. xxsweepthelegxx says:
    Apr 9, 2017 5:32 PM
    wib22 says:
    Apr 9, 2017 5:22 PM
    —-

Xxsweep, your kind of overreacting a bit there

7. So if he falls to say, #5 is he then going to punish the Browns, 9ers, Bears and Jags, or just the Browns?

That sort of threat would make the player far less attractive to me as one to expend a high pick on. It shows lack of maturity.

8. As a Browns fan since 1961, I say — SHUT THE HELL UP AND PLAY FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. There’s a long line of teams, coaches, and players who punish the Browns on a regular basis. Someone should tell Myles to get in back of that line.

10. wib22 says:
    Apr 9, 2017 5:22 PM

—————

The story is about a player not in football yet talking about the Cleveland Browns while the Patriots are noteven a factor in the first 2 rounds. Most people would have read that story and not even thought about the Patriots. It took a lot of imagination and hard work to still make this about the Patriots.

11. xxsweepthelegxx says:
    Apr 9, 2017 5:32 PM
    wib22 says:
    Apr 9, 2017 5:22 PM
    —-
    _____________________________

12. This kid sounds like such an imbecile.
    How is he going to punish them ?
    He’s going to get drafted way before the Bengals, Ravens, and Steelers even get on the board.
    And that’s the only way he’ll get to hand out any type of punishment on Cleveland is if he gets drafted by one of those clubs.
    So if the 49ers draft him he’ll get to hand out punishment to the Browns every 4 yrs. I’m sure they’ll be so scared…..

13. Just can’t stop telling us how great he is, which even a neophyte in psychology understands is a mask for insecurity with your abilities in his case. I think I just might pass on him at number one after these continual red flag comments.

14. I know the browns have been bad for a while but this team has a lot of ammo to get really good really fast.

This Gus could be the first pick in that process.

15. Who is Garrett?

The Cleveland Dog Piles have done enough to ruin their seasons for years to come – I doubt a self-important nobody can do any more damage.

16. I admire his confidence and who knows, maybe he will be that good. But no team can go anywhere without a top QB. Browns don’t have one and need that first. I don’t think there is a single QB in this draft class that will be anything more than a 3rd stringer 5 years from now. Browns would be smart to give up the farm to the Patriots for Jimmy G.

17. Mr. Goodell is on your side. There is a reason why they have played the least amount of teams coming off bye weeks and their toughest opponents at home for night games. You may even ask why is even Belicheat still in the league?

****

Yeah, that is true. Belicheat has been caught cheating numerous times and the patriots fan “enemy” goodell has saved them. What a joke!

18. Number 1 overall pick to the Browns????

Or slipping in the draft like Terrell Suggs did to play for a

contender and win a Super Bowl.

Myles my man get yourself a weed gasmask like Tunsil and

slip to the bottom half of the first round. Cleveland is the

place careers go to die!!!

19. The only one who can keep Garrett from being the number one pick is Garrett himself. Every time he opens his mouth, he lowers his stock.

20. Johnny Manziel probably said the same thing…and he was right…he punished the Browns for drafting him.

21. Let me get this straight…his statement would seem to imply he wants the Browns to draft him. Since he wants to play for the Browns I’m guessing he scored about a zero on the Wonderlic. He obviously isn’t very bright if he wants to play for the Browns.

22. Grow up.
    Enough of the entitled athletes of today. Just shut up and play wherever you go – it’s far more than you’d make doing anything else in life.

23. 20 of Garrett’s 31.5 career sacks came against Nevada, louisiana-monroe, Lamar, Rice and UTSA.

This guy is going to be a bust.

2/3’s of his career sacks came in 5 of his 34 games played.

24. wib22 says:
    Apr 9, 2017 7:44 PM

****

—–

It’s always sadder watching chipwood talk to one of his many screen names than just about any of the actual nonsense he posts.

A regular ‘genius’ at work…

25. Shut up and play with whoever drafts you. You think you’re hot stuff but all you are right now is just another rookie trying to make it in the NFL.

26. Since it was for ESPN the Magazine, they probably led him down that path so they could drum up a controversy to try and sell the issue of their garbage magazine. I’m sure the Browns have already told him they’re going to draft him but the way NFL works, they need to keep the suspense going to help get those ratings up for the draft.

27. What a chump!!!! just keep your mouth shut and let your play speak for itself. That’s what will get everyone’s attention. Not this spouting off sounding like a moron. Shut up until there’s actually something to talk about. Start learning how to be more professional as you attempt to start your professional career instead of a high school football player.

28. Watching highlights of Garrett, I notice that once the ball goes past him, he never gives chase. He’s never anywhere near the ball past the line of scrimmage. Athletic freak, yes. I question his heart and drive.

29. I might be minority but I like him, what’s wrong with having some confidence in himself, the kid if healthy looks like could have a better career than Julius Peppers, that’s good enough for me, beside I don’t like those humble kids that don’t talk much.
    But here you are,all those thumbs down wishing him to fail. What a bunch of losers we have around here.

30. Way to stay humble young man…maybe you should learn from Khalil Mack and be grateful where ever you might land. Let your actions speak for themselves. Hard work will eventually be rewarded!

31. He specifically stated that he will punish whatever team it is that doesn’t draft him for the next 10-12 years. Another thing, these entire interview questions seemed to be parroted from his agent.

32. It would be nice if your mouth could keep you out of the news. With the number one pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select Jonathan Allen.

33. ikeclanton says:
    Apr 9, 2017 9:06 PM

A regular ‘genius’ at work…
    =====================

But it is hilarious when his sock puppets argue with each other, so there’s that at least.

34. This is a win-win for the Browns. One one hand they take him and he is everything as advertised and the team has a cornerstone on its defense the next 10 years. If he busts they can always use the excuse that they felt threatened and wanted to protect the safety of their quarterbacks.

35. infectorman says:
    Apr 9, 2017 7:24 PM
    “…exceed Jerry Rice as the best player of all time…?”
    Old stickum-fingers Rice* ?

I think he means Tom Brady

_______________________________________

The best player of all time is a tie between Don Hutson and Jim Brown. Honorable mention goes to Sammy Baugh.
    Those two dominated their eras more than anyone else dominated theirs. If you don’t believe it, check the facts.

36. Speaking aloud your own thoughts can come back to haunt you.

Speaking aloud your own thoughts before you can or have backed them up can come back to hunt you

Speaking aloud your own thoughts about your potential future employer can come back to haunt you

Why let anything haunt you when your future is bright no matter where, when or who you will end up playing for??

So the moral of all this…. shut up and play first before speaking first… that will never haunt you.

37. I love to hear these guys run their mouths. I’ll have a reason to watch the Browns’ games. I want to see this guy get decimated.

38. He sounds like Smash Williams. But Hue Jackson <<< Coach Taylor.

Friday Night Lights was good.

39. Having seen him this morning on all the talk shows, he certainly loves himself. Not going to the draft either, excuse me, who do we think we are??? Sounds like another “bigmouth” to me.

40. yo I hate myles garett at 1 huge browns fan here and malik hooker is the best player in the draft! please oh please take hooker at 1 or trade down a few spots and land him there

41. It would help Garrett to have a little reverence for players that are actually in the NFL and not college players. He hasn’t done squat yet.

He should be great, but Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell and Tony Mandarich were supposed to be great too.

Talk is cheap. Just prove it on the field.

42. nyneal says:
    Apr 10, 2017 10:24 AM
    infectorman says:
    Apr 9, 2017 7:24 PM
    “…exceed Jerry Rice as the best player of all time…?”
    Old stickum-fingers Rice* ?
    I think he means Tom Brady
    _______________________________________

——————

Back when training was eating a ribeye steak with a few beers. Sure.

43. How could you punish the Browns?

It’s like saying you’re gonna destroy Detroit or pollute Chernobyl.

44. “He said that his shortcoming is shyness in social situations, being especially uncomfortable in group settings.”

So I guess being in front of 80,000 people watching you is an intimate setting??

Brilliant!