Travis Frederick is a little worried about Tony Romo calling Cowboys games

Getty Images

The man who once had Tony Romo’s hands in a sensitive area on a regular basis now has to worry about Romo getting inside his head.

Cowboys center Travis Frederick recently expressed some concern about Romo sharing with the world what he knows about how Frederick plays.

“I’m not sure I want to hear the truth of what Tony has to say about me,” Frederick said with a laugh on 105.3 The Fan, via the Dallas Morning News. “Tony and I have been very close at certain times so I’m curious what sort of inside tidbits he has to share about me. I realize when you’re on this side of it, when you’re talking into the mic, it’s easy to kind of share some of those things.”

Frederick may not have to worry all that much, based on something Romo said during his introductory conference call with CBS.

“My feelings are that I’m always going to feel the need to want to talk up the Cowboys,” Romo said. “It’s like those are your friends. Those are the people you sweat, you bled with. These are the people that you’re close with for a long time. So for a while, there is no question I want them to succeed.”

By telegraphing his intent to not be objective when it comes to the Cowboys, the Romo critics will enter the season armed with fodder for flogging his performances. Though he likely won’t be calling many Cowboys games since CBS has the AFC package (road games at Oakland and Denver are the primary choices for 4:25 p.m. ET games on Sundays), Romo will be working this year what could be one of the biggest regular-season games of the year: The late-afternoon Thanksgiving game at Dallas, with likely opponent being the Giants, Eagles, Chiefs, Seahawks, or Packers. (The Rams, Chargers, and Washington are the other choices.)

So if he skews too far (or at all) toward the Cowboys during that game, he’ll hear about it. Loudly.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Travis Frederick is a little worried about Tony Romo calling Cowboys games”
  1. truthfactory says: Apr 9, 2017 9:53 AM

While this is true in theory, I think most fans have some common sense and would give him some slack in the first few years considering how close he was to that team. Asking him to bash them can easily backfire and come off as a ploy to “prove” your not biased… ask Tiki Barber. Give him some few years, then his “objectivity” in regards to the cowboys will be more natural because he wont have as many actual friends on that team as the years go on.

2. groleo45 says: Apr 9, 2017 9:55 AM

I don’t think people will be holding against Tony for a little homerism the first year or two. I think he’s talking about the people rather than the organization. As he says those are all his friends and guys he’s worked with in some cases for many years.

As time passes and the roster turns over I’m sure it will be much easier to be objective. Appreciate his honesty on this one.

3. russrpm says: Apr 9, 2017 10:08 AM

Wow, can you tell us any other ways Tony will fail? Surely you’ve missed one or two.

4. thecatalinawinemixer says: Apr 9, 2017 10:10 AM

If Denver and Oakland are hosting the Cowboys, then those games will be on Fox. Dallas’ home games vs AFC opponents would be on CBS.

5. m056432 says: Apr 9, 2017 10:10 AM

Doubt Travis Frederick has anything to worry about… Not sure I can remember the last time an announcer gave a in depth analysis of a team’s center. There will be a lot more than just cowboy bias for Romo haters if he plans to get into the weeds on technique of oline he nstead of simply calling a game

6. tonebones says: Apr 9, 2017 10:16 AM

Romo is smart enough to handle the job. The smart people who prepare well, don’t have to criticize to hold their audience. The lazy people have to be critical because they don’t have enough interesting material prepared. A certain percentage of the population, down deep, is highly resentful of successful people (pro athletes), so they love to hear them getting ripped. You can’t really cater to the unhappy members of the audience. They’re going to buy beer, even if they don’t watch the commercials.

7. bird2urmother says: Apr 9, 2017 10:48 AM

Well he can’t possibly be any more of a homer than troy aikman.

8. davefromacquisitions says: Apr 9, 2017 10:49 AM

Nobody ever seems to hold it against Troy Aikman.

9. therighthandedcowboy says: Apr 9, 2017 11:00 AM

Undoubtedly there will be Romo/Cowboy haters who will find something to rag on.

10. chawkup says: Apr 9, 2017 11:14 AM

Admitting to bias does not necessarily equate to inability to possess objectivity. I also don’t really see the point in forecasting possible criticism that might never be valid. I don’t like the Cowboys, but I think Romo will be good at this job. He’s articulate and seems like a friendly dude.

11. zack2482 says: Apr 9, 2017 11:25 AM

bird2urmother
    Apr 9, 2017, 10:48 AM EDT
    Well he can’t possibly be any more of a homer than troy aikman.

—————-

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about if you actually watch a Troy Aikman called game. Aikman is anything but a homer when he calls Dallas games. As a matter of fact, I’m pretty sure that Cowboys fans would rather have Someone else calling the games because if anything he is hypercritical. Now, Michael Irvin, totally biased and I love him for it.

12. j huber says: Apr 9, 2017 11:34 AM

I personally agree with comments. These announcers should be prohibited from working their former teams game, due to excessive bias. Just listen to Aikman call a Cowboys game, or Simms call a Giants game as examples.
    Disgusting bias.

13. dtlb58 says: Apr 9, 2017 11:42 AM

I bet we would all be more worried if Travis Frederick were calling a game instead of Romo. I think everything will be okay.

14. derekgorgonstar says: Apr 9, 2017 12:11 PM

Let’s kill the guy when he’s a player.

And then let’s kill him at his new job 5 months before we even hear him call a game.

You guys are unbelievable.

15. bullettoothtony says: Apr 9, 2017 12:19 PM

That attitude, frankly, will make it harder for Romo to succeed in his new job”

Why???……it hasn’t stopped homers like Dan Fouts, et al from being in the booth for years.

16. baronvonmonocle says: Apr 9, 2017 12:20 PM

Non-Cowboys fans think Aikman is a homer. Cowboys fans think he goes out of his way to be critical to prove he isn’t a homer. That probably means he’s doing things just right.

17. redlikethepig says: Apr 9, 2017 12:23 PM

Typical of Cowboy players and their fans … who think it’s always about them.

18. FinFan68 says: Apr 9, 2017 12:29 PM

By telegraphing his intent to not be objective when it comes to the Cowboys
    ~~~~~~~~
    He never gave such intent; that is all your own doing.

He said “My feelings are that I’m always going to feel the need to want to talk up the Cowboys,” but you perceived “My feelings are that I will not be objective and I will talk up the Cowboys even when it is undeserved”.

When media presents things incorrectly like this, whether intended or not, it is no wonder that people often avoid interviews or speaking their mind. I think most of us would expect Romo to give the Cowboys the benefit of the doubt on some things. Blatant homers are bad when people want objectivity but the line of thinking you have is why some guys are exactly the opposite. Many are hyper-critical of their previous teams so that they give the false impression of actually being objective. That is no better than the homers.

19. jsrdc says: Apr 9, 2017 12:42 PM

“That attitude, frankly, will make it harder for Romo to succeed in his new job. He’ll need to be objective in order to be credible, and if he refrains from directing fair criticism at the Cowboys when fair criticism is required, that will open the door for fair criticism to be directed at him.”

Well, Florio, whatever bias Tony may have towards the Cowboys when commentating will only help neutralize your known and obvious hate of the Cowboys. What is “fair” is very subjective, so, what is your point, exactly?

20. mygirlhassuperhairymanarms says: Apr 9, 2017 12:47 PM

It’s funny how fan boy army can be so critical of EVERY nfl announcer yet none of the fan boys have ever worked in the industry and don’t have a clue as to what is required. I know, tell us your jobs, if you have one, and let’s us pick you apart.

21. datschu says: Apr 9, 2017 12:51 PM

@bird2urmother @davefromacquisitions- Troy Aikman is the. Ugh eat cowboys basher in the broadcasting world. He seriously never has anything positive to say about the team when he does their games. I’m sick of it truthfully

22. briang123 says: Apr 9, 2017 12:56 PM

He needs to be worried more about Dak Prescott being Kaepernick or Griffin 2.0.

23. firerogergoodellnow says: Apr 9, 2017 1:09 PM

(The Rams, Chargers, and REDSKINS are the other choices.)

24. schmitty2 says: Apr 9, 2017 1:43 PM

Romo couldn’t possibly be any more of a homer than Nantz is towards the Pats.

25. speedy1239 says: Apr 9, 2017 1:50 PM

I would say Aikman is getting better with his bias towards the Cowboys. Used to be a lot worse. If people think he didn’t have a bias toward the Cowboys, then they are a bit delusional.

26. howlinwolf80 says: Apr 9, 2017 2:10 PM

@ briang123 Only a uninformed Cowboys hater would think that ! Unlike Zeke Dak started working the day after the season was over ! Hes been with another QB working on his throwing motion and working with Jerry Rice on some things and working out at Valley Ranch every day ! Unlike those 2 you mentioned he has a strong work ethic and unlike those 2 he was drafted in the 4th round with no expectations so your theory is flawed at best .

27. abninf says: Apr 9, 2017 2:15 PM

That attitude, frankly, will make it harder for Romo to succeed in his new job.
    ====================================

Oh, no it won’t. Just shut up drama queen.

28. dabville says: Apr 9, 2017 3:59 PM

Really Florio. Don’t you work with a guy, who never says anything bad about his former team? I think he is pretty successful or do you think he should be fired from NBC?

29. kwf484 says: Apr 9, 2017 5:53 PM

Romo doesn’t have PFT for an agent…

30. laserw says: Apr 9, 2017 6:44 PM

Considering how dishonest and biased Troy Barkman is when he covers the Cow-wusses, I welcome anyone who can report the truth on this over-rated gimmick team.

Barkman evidently played the game but you’d never know it by his remarks. He is profoundly stupid and without any ethics or reporting integrity.

31. jbarge says: Apr 10, 2017 8:20 AM

Just because he wants the Cowboys to succeed doesn’t mean he won’t be offering fair criticism. As a fan, I want them to succeed and Dez pisses me off everytime his $15M/year contract hands drop a damn ball… I’ll give you some criticism.

32. avanti6565 says: Apr 10, 2017 9:43 AM

Just what the viewers need is someone that still wants to root for the Cowboys calling the plays. Unless he is at least halfway objective about his comments from the booth he will only hurt the credibility.

33. Carlton Ward says: Apr 10, 2017 3:11 PM

I think Tony has a better personality for broadcasting than some of the other ex-players/broadcasters and he has a sense of humor I think most will like. I wish him the best and Thank him for his years at Dallas.

34. hitman21st says: Apr 13, 2017 11:16 AM

He can’t nearly be as biased as Ron Jaworksi. That dude refuses to say anything bad about the Eagles and will talk s**t about the rest of the NFCE at a moment’s notice.