NFL schedules early London kickoff for Saints-Dolphins

Getty Images

The NFL isn’t done with early kickoffs to accommodate fans in London.

The league confirmed today that the October 1 Saints-Dolphins game will kick off at Wembley Stadium at 2:30 p.m. London time, which is 9:30 a.m. Eastern time. That runs contrary to a report last season that the league had decided to cancel the early kickoffs.

The London games have been controversial, with many American fans not liking seeing their games taken overseas and not liking having to get up early. However, some fans enjoy having breakfast with the NFL on Sundays, and the earlier kickoffs can help the NFL attract more fans in Europe.

For at least one game this year, the NFL has decided to keep up the early kickoffs. The kickoff times of the other three London games have not been determined.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
50 Responses to “NFL schedules early London kickoff for Saints-Dolphins”
  1. truninerfan49 says: Apr 10, 2017 3:33 PM

I love the 9:30 am games, but the London games usually suck

2. harleyrider1973 says: Apr 10, 2017 3:38 PM

yea and if you’re on the west coast it starts at 630……stupid

3. bullettbob1 says: Apr 10, 2017 3:42 PM

Yea and if your a Dolphins fan this is getting REAL OLD!!!!

4. stipez says: Apr 10, 2017 3:42 PM

5. gtrav says: Apr 10, 2017 3:44 PM

Who on the west coast wants to get up for a 6:30am game? It’s almost too early to start drinking

6. bkostela says: Apr 10, 2017 3:47 PM

I love the 9:30 games. And let’s face it, the NFL caters to the East Coast.

7. purplepride11 says: Apr 10, 2017 3:50 PM

I love the early games in London even though they are generally crappy quality.

8. Frazier28/7 says: Apr 10, 2017 3:51 PM

people across the pond HATE American football.
    they Love foutball/soccer or whatever, and rugby. that’s it.

why accommodate people that don’t like it and ruin a perfectly good Sunday for those that have have bought tickets and merchandise for decades???

most over there find OUR football confusing and can’t stand the constant stop/start in game action.

9. magebfd says: Apr 10, 2017 3:53 PM

I love it. Football all damned day. You’re either sleeping or getting an early start to game day. That’s a great problem to have.

10. jagsfan4ever says: Apr 10, 2017 3:54 PM

I love the 9:30a kickoff. Last year when the Jags did the early kickoff, I got my buzz on with Bloody Mary’s. After all, who doesn’t love a good day buzz?

11. alcore1 says: Apr 10, 2017 4:14 PM

jagsfan4ever says:
    Apr 10, 2017 3:54 PM
    __________________________________
    You have to have a buzz to watch the Jaguars, day or night.

12. jamaltimore says: Apr 10, 2017 4:19 PM

It’s just like in sea world with dolphin shows at 9:30, 1, 4 and 8;30. Nobody cares about the football dolphins

13. bullcharger says: Apr 10, 2017 4:23 PM

9:30 am isn’t early, but maybe it is a bit early for a few beers!

14. darkneptune73 says: Apr 10, 2017 4:24 PM

Soon, midnight kickoffs will happen. Bug off, Czar Goodell.

15. bullcharger says: Apr 10, 2017 4:25 PM

bkostela says:
    Apr 10, 2017 3:47 PM
    I love the 9:30 games. And let’s face it, the NFL caters to the East Coast.

————-

16. RandyinRoxbury says: Apr 10, 2017 4:30 PM

All those Dolphin fans in Hawaii will have a long Saturday night for sure.
    Yikesssssss

17. eljefedelmundo says: Apr 10, 2017 4:31 PM

That’s nothing. For the first half of the reg season midday games start at 6am our time. Every Monday!

One 9.30 game- piffle piffle piffle!

18. winningisabrees says: Apr 10, 2017 4:37 PM

Most people in South Louisiana, haven’t gone to bed yet by that kickoff time.

19. maust1013 says: Apr 10, 2017 4:58 PM

RandyinRoxbury says:
    Apr 10, 2017 4:30 PM
    All those Dolphin fans in Hawaii will have a long Saturday night for sure.
    Yikesssssss
    ===================

Both of them should be just fine

20. mtsquad says: Apr 10, 2017 5:03 PM

A bunch of really old monkeys!

“When I think about the NFL making decisions like this I picture a bunch of monkeys at a conference table squealing and throwing bananas at each other.”

21. bobseahawk says: Apr 10, 2017 5:09 PM

on a Sunday in California at 630 am, wife and kids sleeping and NFL on, I have never been Happier!! Go Hawks. Guess the Hawks will never know what its like in England..

22. nyneal says: Apr 10, 2017 5:09 PM

Games played outside the U.S. suck.
    They are all about the greed of the owners trying to squeeze every last buck out of their brand. They couldn’t care less about the fans who have supported their teams for decades.

23. bueller101 says: Apr 10, 2017 5:17 PM

Irritating. People on the west coast aren’t going to watch a 6am football game, and it is annoying for Fantasy Football having to set your lineup early.

24. bobthebillsfan says: Apr 10, 2017 5:27 PM

I’ll be hammered by 2.

25. bird2urmother says: Apr 10, 2017 5:30 PM

I live on the west coast and I love the 6 am games. I’m usually up by then even on the weekends. I don’t see why people complain about these early games or Thursday games either. The way I see it, the more football, the better. Even if I don’t like the match-up, it’s at leat another option on TV. Or something to follow for your fantasy league. And there’s nothing on at that time anyway except for infomercials or sportscenter highlights.

26. oswizard says: Apr 10, 2017 5:33 PM

As long as it is not my team, I like it. I would hate it if I lived out West.

27. bru308 says: Apr 10, 2017 5:53 PM

Yeah 6:30am must suck you west coast folks for one or two games a year… but hey at least you can watch MNF every week and be to bed by 9pm. Quit whining.

28. lukedogg087 says: Apr 10, 2017 6:02 PM

I’m on the west coast and seriously the only problem I have with early games is for my weekly football pool and fantasy football. Other than that I just won’t watch if the teams are terrible, but they are usually better to watch than the terrible pregame shows.

29. tomtravis76 says: Apr 10, 2017 6:29 PM

Early games are great, it’s anything starting after 7pm that is awful.

30. upnorthvikesfan says: Apr 10, 2017 6:40 PM

Frazier28/7 says:
    Apr 10, 2017 3:51 PM

people across the pond HATE American football.
    they Love foutball/soccer or whatever, and rugby. that’s it.

————————————————————–

You couldn’t be more wrong. I have a lot of family & friends in England and they actually love our football. With that said, they seem to really like a few teams and could care less about the others. But regardless of the fact that they actually do like American football I still don’t think a team should move there. It does well as kind of an occasional event. I don’t think it would be as big as a permanent thing.

31. jchipwood says: Apr 10, 2017 7:02 PM

I imagine the fins will play New England right after without a bye week but patriot fans “Goodell is out to get us”. But year in and year out the schedule is set up with things like that patriot fans can’t understand.

32. shaggytoodle says: Apr 10, 2017 7:10 PM

Oh no on the west cost it starts at 630 AM?

Yet No one cares about the MNF games that run into Tuesday on the East Coast, so maybe just let this one slide….

33. win1soon says: Apr 10, 2017 7:43 PM

Let the Dolphin hype begin!!

34. u4iadman says: Apr 10, 2017 8:56 PM

The games sell out, Brits love the atmosphere and game, commenting consistently it’s like a SBowl or Olympics type feeling.

Too bad the teams and games suck though.

35. twoteamsforlosangeles says: Apr 10, 2017 9:17 PM

More more more…how do you like it? Four timeslots? Awesome!

36. silentcount says: Apr 10, 2017 10:16 PM

Does anyone know if this game will be shown nationally at 6:30 on the west coast?

37. somethinghappeninghere says: Apr 11, 2017 12:04 AM

Amazing..no one mentioned that the reason this game was scheduled so early for the US but early afternoon in London is because Jay Ajayi’s relatives might not want to go to the game at night–Ajayi was born there so maybe he has relatives there as well.

38. joe0523 says: Apr 11, 2017 12:38 AM

So how long till Tuesday morning games start? Let’s keep football to Sunday’s and Monday nights please.

39. flipola says: Apr 11, 2017 2:17 AM

I don’t see any reason that it couldn’t start at 6pm and match up with the 1pm Eastern games.

40. aj66shanghai says: Apr 11, 2017 3:46 AM

Living in Shanghai, the London early games are amazing. They come on at 9:30 pm Sunday night (10:30 once daylight savings is repealed), making it a lot easier to stay up for the normal start times (1 am and 4 am, 2 and 5 after DST goes). As a Seahawk fan, most of the games I’m trying to see are the late games. So I have to stay up real late or get up stupid early. Nice to have a game on at a human time now and then.

Also, living here I have a lot of friends from all iver the world. I know a lot of British and Australian people who love the NFL. Yes, growing the brand is about money for the league. Of course it is. But we are already seeing parents keep their kids our of football in America. In 20 years the talent pool will be smaller in America, despite there likely being more teams by then. Making the sport go worldwide will greatly increase the talent pool over time, which is a good thing for fans. So I’m quite happy they are going global, and I look forward to seeing a game in China in the near future. Ive already been to an NBA game and also saw the first regular season NCAA basketball game played abroad, right here in Shanghai. The world loves America for the most part, and wants to share in our fun. It’s a good thing.

41. wvtbred says: Apr 11, 2017 6:35 AM

Sunday 9:30 AM games are BETTER than 8:30 PM games on a work night!

42. helldog33 says: Apr 11, 2017 7:23 AM

“People on the west coast go outside and ride their bikes or something. It’s winter on the east coast. Everyone is watching.”
    __________________________________

A 48 degree winter morning in Miami is a news event and a weather alert.

A 48 degree winter morning in LA is perfectly normal.

43. leroyquimby says: Apr 11, 2017 7:25 AM

Well as an east coast person I really like the early London game. Live football before real football at 1. IMO its payback for all of the Thursday, Sunday, Monday night games I fall asleep before it ends at 1AM

44. seabrawk12 says: Apr 11, 2017 8:55 AM

I don’t mind the early kickoff, but if I am someone who has season tickets and one of my home games gets taken away I would be pretty angry.

45. 345snarkavenue says: Apr 11, 2017 8:59 AM

I may tune in if the weather here is really nasty. otherwise, nope. I don’t even like watching the afternoon games until maybe late November, unless there’s a steady rain.

time is too precious.

46. imodan says: Apr 11, 2017 9:49 AM

bkostela says:
    Apr 10, 2017 3:47 PM
    I love the 9:30 games. And let’s face it, the NFL caters to the East Coast.
    ——————————————————————–
    47% and 33% of the nations population live in the eastern and central time zones. That’s 80% of the country. Yes, it makes sense for the NFL to cater to the vast majority of the country. BTW, I like the early games………..when I can remember they’re on.

47. boca12 says: Apr 11, 2017 9:53 AM

West coast teams playing in the east, during the regular season normally start at 10 am pacific time. So no biggie for a 6:30am London game….. I do feel for the east coast fans that have TNF, SNF and MNF all season long, starting at what 8-8:30 pm est…going to 11-midnight?..uggg….It is, what it is….

48. boisestatewhodat says: Apr 11, 2017 9:55 AM

Whose home game is it? Saints or Fins?

49. rcali says: Apr 11, 2017 3:48 PM

It’s a nice middle finger to the American economy. America First Roger!

50. sb44champs says: Apr 12, 2017 3:46 PM

Whose home game is it? Saints or Fins?
    ======================
    I believe its the Fins home game