Tony Romo: “I feel like I left something out there”

AP

Ever since walking away from chances to play football to embark on a broadcasting career, Tony Romo has avoided a lot of talk about his Cowboys career.

And today, as he spoke with reporters briefly before his cameo appearance on an NBA bench tonight, he admitted there was one troubling aspect of leaving when he did, despite all the well-wishes on his new gig.

“I guess it just makes you feel that you accomplished something in some ways because I feel like I left something out there that I always wanted to accomplish,” he said, via Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News. “And I got to live with that. That’s part of playing sports. It doesn’t always go the way you expect. You can put everything into it and sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn’t. But it doesn’t mean you can be OK with it.

“This week has been special in the sense that people have made me feel that they appreciated me and that they enjoyed me playing and being their quarterback and that it meant something to them and they wanted to root for me and they were passionate about it. I can’t say thank you enough. It really has been a very special week.”

That seems like an obvious reference to not winning a Super Bowl, but it could also stand as a summation of an awkward exit. It’s hard to imagine him not feeling a lack of completion there, considering the way his relationship with coach Jason Garrett seemed to suffer with last year’s transition to Dak Prescott.

But during his short appearance during a Dallas Mavericks morning shootaround, Romo showed the kind of grace which could serve him well as he embarks on a new job which he has no experience at.

“Standing here today I feel a little bit embarrassed, to be honest,” Romo said. “Just in the sense that you’re lucky enough to be in a position that someone cares enough to do something to honor you. I’m a lucky guy.”

And while not winning a title might gnaw at him, it’s not keeping him from appreciating the chance for others to thank him for what was by most measures a successful run in Dallas.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
49 Responses to “Tony Romo: “I feel like I left something out there””
  1. infectorman says: Apr 11, 2017 1:09 PM

This is somewhat reminiscent of when the Dolts kicked HGH 5-head to the curb in Indy.

Lets see….how many Lombardis have the Dolts won since Peyme left?

2. whodey420 says: Apr 11, 2017 1:10 PM

Probably something you choked on Tony. haha

3. simplec72 says: Apr 11, 2017 1:12 PM

You’re not alone Tony- ALL of the Cowboys feel like they left something out there after last season.

4. shootinstraightblog says: Apr 11, 2017 1:13 PM

I have nothing against Romo, but why is the guy being treated like Payton Manning? I mean, he didn’t even win a PLAYOFF game, let alone, a Super Bowl. I just don’t understand why I have to see all these articles about him sitting on the Mavs bench, etc., when he isn’t even in the league anymore, and didn’t win squat?

5. touchdownroddywhite says: Apr 11, 2017 1:15 PM

I’ve always looked at Romo as an inspiration. Kid went from being undrafted to 14 year veteran starting QB. And say what you want about him being made of glass, the guy is tough as nails. He never gave up on himself or his teammates, and that’s a thing of beauty in today’s world.

Could you imagine how much worse Manziel’s implosion would’ve been had he had to face that kind of adversity? I doubt he would’ve handled it well enough to even make it out of training camp with a team.

6. conormacleod says: Apr 11, 2017 1:17 PM

Understatement of the year from the guy that had more back injuries than playoff wins.

7. bullcharger says: Apr 11, 2017 1:20 PM

shootinstraightblog says:
    Apr 11, 2017 1:13 PM

———–

He was the QB for the Dallas Cowboys. That is why.

Like it or not, the most valuable and popular sports franchise in the world.

8. wib22 says: Apr 11, 2017 1:20 PM

Jerrah railroaded him, but not as bad as how Belicheat railroaded Bledsoe for a system QB.

9. streetyson says: Apr 11, 2017 1:21 PM

2 playoff wins in 13 seasons – yeah an awful lot got left out there.

10. chippys lost binky says: Apr 11, 2017 1:24 PM

Make all the jokes you want, Romo left it all out there.
    Much respect from this Pats fan.

11. silvernblacksabbath says: Apr 11, 2017 1:24 PM

shootinstraightblog says:
    Apr 11, 2017 1:13 PM

————————————
    The 2 super bowls that Peyton won, he had the worst QBR both years in those playoff runs…
    If Romo’s last name was Manning, he’d have rings too..

12. abninf says: Apr 11, 2017 1:24 PM

Dez caught the ball. He just…… he caught it.

13. goldtooth80 says: Apr 11, 2017 1:28 PM

I dont understand why he hung up the cleats. He could have asked to be released and taken an incentive based contract. He will regret this move and probably try to make a comeback when its too late- time isn’t on his side.

14. cowboy4life88 says: Apr 11, 2017 1:33 PM

Yeah… More INTs

15. stainlessstill says: Apr 11, 2017 1:35 PM

All this talk about not winning a Super Bowl when the dude doesn’t even have a George Halas trophy in his glass case. Two playoff wins, people. TWO.

16. favresweiner says: Apr 11, 2017 1:42 PM

Watch out CBS. He is already contemplating a comeback!

17. 23rdusernameused says: Apr 11, 2017 1:44 PM

you did… a collarbone or 3, a few vertebra and some internal disc “goo”!

18. BillAndTomsAsteriskAdventure says: Apr 11, 2017 1:50 PM

Shoulda done whatever it took to play in Houston. It wouldn’t have to uproot his family.

Like a 30min charter. He can afford it.

19. whenwilliteverend says: Apr 11, 2017 1:50 PM

Yeah, I’m sure there were a few more playoffs games you could have lost.

20. gpete1962 says: Apr 11, 2017 1:56 PM

Somebody should have warned Jim Nance, that all Romo eats is Mexican Food

Simms will be like a scented Yankee candle compared to Tony

21. firecracker87 says: Apr 11, 2017 1:56 PM

Yeah….your spleen is still getting kicked around on one of those fields out there.

22. redlikethepig says: Apr 11, 2017 1:57 PM

On the coasts all that Cowboy stuff has a real different meaning.

23. chippys lost binky says: Apr 11, 2017 1:58 PM

stainlessstill says:
    Apr 11, 2017 1:35 PM
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This from the guy that continually dogs the only QB that’s won 5 rings and 7 Lamar Hunt trophies. Call it what it is, the only QB you have a good word for is your own there homer

24. tqaztec says: Apr 11, 2017 2:07 PM

Please no more Romo stories. I don’t love all the Patriot stories but at least they are champs.

25. nynbkfarsuperiorx says: Apr 11, 2017 2:09 PM

Tony Romo is a loser just like Cowboy fans. Mark Sanchez has more playoff wins.

26. ryder09 says: Apr 11, 2017 2:13 PM

If you gave Tebow 10 years as the starting QB, he would probably win more playoff games in the span than Romo did.

27. fujoeboo says: Apr 11, 2017 2:13 PM

Translation:

When I realize I suck at broadcasting, I’ll go back to football for a year or 2.

28. 'boys4life says: Apr 11, 2017 2:19 PM

Annnd BAM, there it is. Its in his head something was left on the field that he failed to do, from there its not to far from suiting up this season. I’m betting hes signed by 2 preseason game at the latest.

29. Rolo Tomassi says: Apr 11, 2017 2:19 PM

Cutler > Romo

30. weepingjebus says: Apr 11, 2017 2:23 PM

Just to put this in perspective, only winning two playoff games is considered a bad year for Tom Brady and of course causes the usual suspects to say he choked and is declining.

31. cantonbound13 says: Apr 11, 2017 2:24 PM

Yeah, your lower 3 vertebraes.

32. inyourmind says: Apr 11, 2017 2:27 PM

tony romo good luck

33. droppedinagreasefire says: Apr 11, 2017 2:37 PM

Not a Cowboys fan, but Romo seems to be a good guy. But come on man, putting him in an NBA game??? What a cheap, PR marketing stunt. Reminds me of the 1978 “boxing match” between Lyle Alzado and Ali in Denver. Spoiler alert. Ali contractually agreed not to hit Zado in the head. The match was a total farce. Ali “won” and Lyle lost his financial shirt on the event as he promoted and produced everything out of his own pocket, including paying Ali a very nice appearance fee.

34. jackedupboonie says: Apr 11, 2017 2:38 PM

The all mighty Cowboys of 2016….won a lot of games playing from ahead and hiding their mediocre defense. Had to play a good one dimensional team in playoffs like themselves and once again are left wondering how to fix issues. They might be the closest thing to a baseball team. Next year, Dak will be exposed and this muddle down the field offense will struggle. I hope they draft pick all defense in upcoming draft.

35. mykpfsu says: Apr 11, 2017 2:47 PM

Don’t worry, Eli Manning found it…….twice.

36. trollaikman8 says: Apr 11, 2017 2:50 PM

Some of the GM’s on this board sound like they’d build around Trent Dilfer instead of Romo.

37. irishgary says: Apr 11, 2017 2:56 PM

@bullcharger

They are the most valuable franchise in the world.

They are not the most popular franchise in the world not by a long stretch. With the moron who owns the team, they are not even the most popular team in America.

38. jayniner says: Apr 11, 2017 2:56 PM

Tony Romo: “I feel like I left something out there”

Yeah, it’s called a Super Bowl win…

39. petedutcherjr says: Apr 11, 2017 2:57 PM

His inability to stay healthy for season makes him undeserving of recognition. Had he been on ANY other team (outside of Cowboys and Pats), he would have been laughed out of town.

40. petedutcherjr says: Apr 11, 2017 3:04 PM

Most valuable franchise in the world is NOT the Dallas Cowboys. It is Manchester United.

Cowboys are not even the most valuable NFL franchise. That titles goes to the Patriots at the moment…the only team that consistently wins Super Bowls and the big boy of the league.

At least, until the new generations steps up.

41. donbat67 says: Apr 11, 2017 3:09 PM

A Collar bone and a few Verterbrae .

42. All-American Voltron says: Apr 11, 2017 3:19 PM

If he’s not in uniform in September then Tony Romo is a complete failure and a quitter. Had he not been saying up through January which NFL teams he would play for, I’d have no issue with taking a TV job.

But he clearly wanted to play, clearly had unfinished business in not going out on his own terms and instead wimped out and took a TV job.

zero respect for Romo

43. jjfootball says: Apr 11, 2017 3:32 PM

IF ROMO WAS TO RETURN THIS SEASON HE SHOULD BE SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY FOR PULLING THE FAKE RETIREMENT TO GET OUT OF DALLAS!

44. jjackwagon says: Apr 11, 2017 3:50 PM

trollaikman8 says:
    Apr 11, 2017 2:50 PM
    ——————————————
    To be fair, Dilfer does have more playoff wins.

45. sandbox1978 says: Apr 11, 2017 4:12 PM

Yes….Your dignity

46. jsm11 says: Apr 11, 2017 6:04 PM

Just wondering… if you can’t be successful at football in Texas, where can?

47. riprozelle says: Apr 11, 2017 6:22 PM

Tony Romo: “I feel like I left something out there”

Well, for one thing, three points to win against the Seahawks in the 2006 wildcard game.

48. laserw says: Apr 11, 2017 7:02 PM

A piece of your shoulder?

Another botched kick hold?

Another choke?

Another interception?

What else could you have left on the field? I’m sure the peanut shell athletic supporter has already been seized and sits on the shelf of an adoring Cowpuke fan.

49. jeffstern54 says: Apr 11, 2017 7:05 PM

Tony Romo: “I feel like I left something out there” Pretty sure Phil Simms is repeating this phrase today.