Rams exercise Aaron Donald’s 2018 option

Getty Images

During the Scouting Combine, Rams General Manager Les Snead said that a contract extension for defensive tackle Aaron Donald is “definitely coming” but nothing’s been agreed to at this point.

Given their desire to get a long-term deal done, there’s no reason for the Rams to run even the slightest risk of losing Donald to another team after the 2017 season. That makes it little surprise to see multiple reports that the team has exercised their 2018 option on Donald’s rookie deal.

Donald would stand to make around $6.9 million next season if he plays out the year under the terms of the option. Exercising it buys the Rams plenty of time to work out a longer and much more lucrative extension of Donald’s time with the team that drafted him with the 13th overall pick of the 2014 draft.

The big question for the two sides to figure out will be just how lucrative that deal will wind up being while others around the league will be watching to see if Donald supplants Von Miller as the league’s best-paid defensive player.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Los Angeles Rams, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Rams exercise Aaron Donald’s 2018 option”
  1. bassplucker says: Apr 12, 2017 8:58 AM

All this guy has to do is make it through this season healthy and he is gonna get paid huge.

2. seang12334 says: Apr 12, 2017 9:04 AM

#asexpected

3. Lightning Joe Armstrong says: Apr 12, 2017 9:24 AM

Overrated

4. jimmyt says: Apr 12, 2017 9:45 AM

Sorry Arron but at least it’s only one more year. Do not sign a long term contract with that sorry franchise.

5. I prefer my Crush to be Orange says: Apr 12, 2017 9:52 AM

He deserves so much better than the Rams.

6. jjackwagon says: Apr 12, 2017 9:55 AM

Our condolences to the Aaron and all the Donald family.

7. billsbackto81 says: Apr 12, 2017 9:59 AM

DUH!!! He’s a Top 5 DT..

Very good player but he’s not a “take over the game” difference maker.

8. sparty0n says: Apr 12, 2017 10:29 AM

Need a picture of Captain Obvious here.

This was a no-brainer.

9. canadianfan33 says: Apr 12, 2017 10:33 AM

I am always amazed at the negative and uneducated replies with regards to the Rams. I have been a fan for 20 years, and I actually watch the games. Anyone who says negative things about Aaron Donald, obviously has never watched him play or speak. He is an amazing talent, who never takes a play off, is arguably the best at his position, and is everything you want to see in a representative of your organization. He is a well spoken, driven young man. I wish him nothing but success, and hope he gets paid like he deserves.

10. jjackwagon says: Apr 12, 2017 11:04 AM

————————————————————–
    Nice of you to dilute the argument by combining to separate topics. So I will separate them since you didn’t.
    The Rams are a substandard NFL organization and deserve every bit of the vitriol that comes their way until they do something to deserve better.
    Donald’s play, OTOH, has shown that he deserves a team better than the Rams have put around him. So he would be better served to go elsewhere.

11. canadianfan33 says: Apr 12, 2017 11:18 AM

jjackwagon says:
    Apr 12, 2017 11:04 AM

————————————————————–

I was not speaking to the state of the organization, other than the fact I only see negative comments. I was pointing out that Aaron Donald deserves the money coming to him. If he agrees with your view of the organization, he has to ability to sign elsewhere. As for the Rams themselves, it has been rough as a fan to watch. I will however, remain of fan of my team, loyal to the end(or perhaps to a fault). I do honestly believe they are moving in the right direction. Is McVay and his staff the answer? Only time will tell, but at least it is a step. They have some young talent, and I hope McVay is the right guy to help them reach their potential.

12. computojon says: Apr 12, 2017 11:22 AM

Lightning Joe Armstrong says:
    Apr 12, 2017 9:24 AM
    Overrated
    ——————————————-
    LOLOLOLOL. Aaron Donald is Pro Football Focus’ Defensive Player of the Year for 2015 and also 2016. Right now your comment has 1 up-vote and 37 down-votes. Let’s guess who up-voted your comment.

13. rideforjesus says: Apr 12, 2017 11:59 AM

28 sacks in 48 games

2.4 tackles a game

1 assisted tackle

3 time player of the week.

This kid is someone to build on….No brainer in exercising the option

14. giantsfan29910 says: Apr 12, 2017 2:29 PM

The rams are switching schemes to a 3-4. Aaron donald is the best defensive tackle in the game. motivatedl agile, strong, quick and fast. Great player with no holes in his game. I hope the scheme change doesnt’t ruin his season.

15. hawkstradamus says: Apr 12, 2017 3:02 PM

Future Seahawk

16. raidernation707 says: Apr 12, 2017 3:16 PM

He looks like a bigger version of Michael smith (espn)