After tweeting his retirement a year ago, Marshawn Lynch tweets he’s “thankful”

Getty Images

During the second half of Super Bowl 50, running back Marshawn Lynch made his retirement announcement by tweeting a pair of sneakers hanging from a telephone wire.

Is he making an announcement of his return in the same fashion?

Lynch tweeted Thursday night a message that – reading between the lines – could be seen as a reaction to a deal being completed to ensure his return to the NFL.

Though Lynch hasn’t specifically said so himself, every indication has shown Lynch has a desire to return to football and play for his hometown Oakland Raiders before they no longer reside in his hometown any longer. He was granted permission to speak with the Raiders by the Seahawks, who still control his rights. He visited the Raiders earlier this month and an agreement to make Lynch to the Raiders a reality is expected to happen.

Matthew Hasselbeck, Lynch’s former teammate in Seattle, issued a tweet of his own welcoming Lynch back as well.

Lynch’s tweet may mean nothing at all, but it could also be his way of announcing his return. With Lynch you never truly know.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
14 Responses to “After tweeting his retirement a year ago, Marshawn Lynch tweets he’s “thankful””
  1. raiddawgz says: Apr 13, 2017 11:42 PM

If true, hope he remains humble and does not fracture this young team. RAIDERS ON THE RISE WITH OR WITHOUT YOU!

2. raidernation707 says: Apr 13, 2017 11:47 PM

Is this just a treat the Raiders are doing to the Raider Nation of Oakland to forget about the move to Vegas for a while? I mean I feel like they went the extra mile for this guy, while there is plenty of backs in draft and free agency..oh and he’s also 30+ and hasn’t played a full season in 2 years

3. mcmccii says: Apr 14, 2017 12:19 AM

he’s a douche

4. Uncle Al says: Apr 14, 2017 12:57 AM

Raiders are doing this because they need a RB and because he wants to play for his hometown team, a team that is clearly becoming a force again

5. slopewithnohope says: Apr 14, 2017 1:08 AM

Well of course. He’s all about that action, boss.

6. oreo51 says: Apr 14, 2017 1:57 AM

If Lynch is only half what he was he is better than 90% of the running backs in the league. You cannot coach his desire or will to compete with every ounce of energy in his body.

7. raiderej says: Apr 14, 2017 2:01 AM

As a Raider fan since 1976 when I went to my first Raiders’game in Oakland as a kid, I can honestly say that I WILL NOT give another dime to this organization. I’ve always admired Marshawn’s commitment to Oakland and love him as a player. However that’s still not enough to make me support this team monetarily any longer. I will continue to root for the Raiders albeit half-heartedly. I can’t even afford to buy a small home in this city where I was born 52 years ago. So spending my extra cash to make rich guys richer, is not high on my list of things to do these days.

8. dedxx says: Apr 14, 2017 2:14 AM

Fingers crossed, hopefully he’s talking about getting his skittles back, his cleats back, and returning to the Seahawks. The Raiders don’t need a 30+ year old problem child. They can get a decent back from the draft. If it’s a pr move, well, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

9. TheDPR says: Apr 14, 2017 10:05 AM

I don’t understand what the Raiders think this clown can add. They’re on the verge of seriously contending and they want to screw with the chemistry and bring in a 30+ who nobody knows whether he can still play but will be virtually un-cuttable due to his popularity. Bad move.

10. minson15 says: Apr 14, 2017 11:37 AM

TheDPR says:
    Apr 14, 2017 10:05 AM

———————————-
    If Jack Del Rio thinks a player (s) is un-cuttable due to his popularity than the raiders are far from contending. Highly doubt that Del Rio is on board with just the marketability standpoint of this move. He had/has the final say so after the visit they had with Lynch so if Del Rio thinks he can play and use a draft pick on another need than why not. Lynch will make more of an impact year one than any one of those rookies. Almost guarantee it.

11. radrntn says: Apr 14, 2017 11:56 AM

As a Raider fan I have no problem with you joining the Raiders….I always respect those who have always dreamed of and wanted to be a Raider. If it happens, so be it.

12. usdcoyotesfan says: Apr 14, 2017 12:44 PM

So sick of hearing about what a class act Russell Wilson is. I punked that dude when he was in college at Wisconsin. In 2011, my buddies and I went to Madison WI to watch our South Dakota Coyotes play his Badgers. After the game, we were at a bar when this clown showed up like owned the place and thought he was going to “whoop on everyone” for not giving him respect. We ignored him until he confronted our table. Him 5’11 200 lbs. and me 6’6 250 lbs. I changed his attitude very quickly. I’m just glad there are no videos of this in the cyber world.

13. cotroutslayer says: Apr 14, 2017 2:16 PM

Name one NFL player who NEVER wanted to play in front of his home town. That’s what this is all about. He wants to play in Oakland and has stated he will play no where else. This is NOT the Raiders trying some stupid PR stunt to appease fans that let them down at the polls by electing hard nosed, stubborn city officials.

As for you people that say you will no longer support the team since they are moving, then I say to you, you were never truly fans.

14. 1nationraidernation says: Apr 14, 2017 2:21 PM

raiderej says:
    Apr 14, 2017 2:01 AM
    – – – – – — — – — – –
    great games back then,, and the old bleachers seats on the east side (per Mt Davis) up in smoke at half time. I have to ask you this what did you feel the last time the Raiders moved to LA? Probably the same….I know I do.