Late NFL player Konrad Reuland donated his heart to Rod Carew

Getty Images

Former Ravens, Colts, Jets and 49ers tight end Konrad Reuland died on December 12 at the age of 29 as a result of a brain aneurysm. That week, baseball Hall of Famer Rod Carew had a heart and kidney transplant. Those two stories hadn’t previously been connected, but the Ravens revealed today that Carew received Reuland’s organs.

Reuland’s mother, Mary, told the Ravens’ website that as her son lay dying in a hospital bed, she listened to his heart beat and thought she wanted her son’s heart to go to a good person.

“I had laid my right ear on his heart all day and just listened to his heartbeat,” Mary said. “When we left him for the last time I said, ‘Whoever gets his heart better deserve his heart because it was a good one.’”

Organ donations are typically kept anonymous, but news reports revealed that Carew had received a heart and a kidney from a 29-year-old man who was described as exceptionally healthy. The Reuland family had been told that the organs went to a 71-year-old man in Southern California. It was easy for Mary to connect the dots, and the donation company confirmed for her that it was Carew who had her son’s heart and kidney.

Carew and Mary Reuland met, and Carew said he’s going to take good care of his heart.

“I will take care of this one,” Carew said, “because I’ve been given a second chance.”

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Late NFL player Konrad Reuland donated his heart to Rod Carew”
  1. The Phantom Stranger says: Apr 14, 2017 3:54 PM

That’s just the best story I’ve heard all day.

2. harrisonhits2 says: Apr 14, 2017 4:07 PM

29 that sucks. That’s half my age. Life isn’t fair though, as much as we all would like it to be.

RIP and thanks for your good deed in helping someone else as your final act.

3. charger383 says: Apr 14, 2017 5:14 PM

Rod Carew was a great player and thank to Rueland a great man lives longer

4. Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Apr 14, 2017 5:16 PM

Rod Carew is seventy-0ne?!? I watched him play!

I feel sad for the Reuland family, but what a nice story.

5. redsoxu571 says: Apr 14, 2017 5:17 PM

There is more to this story, from what I’ve heard. Apparently, Reuland met Carew when he was 11 years old, and was bursting with enthusiasm from the interaction. Apparently, the meeting added to Reuland’s inspiration to be a professional athlete, something that he clearly accomplished. So this already heartwarming story apparently involves a full circle of positive feelings. I tip my hate to all involved, and am glad that some good came from this tragedy.

6. doctorrustbelt says: Apr 14, 2017 5:43 PM

Konrad Reuland.

7. LoCoSu@%s says: Apr 14, 2017 6:20 PM

Nothing but respect for Mr Reuland and his family.
    And good luck to the Carew family. Let’s dwell on the good that came out of this tragedy.

8. fissilemissile says: Apr 14, 2017 7:33 PM

One hell of a way to become a hall of famer, Reuland… Good work, kid. RIP.

9. tnt2003 says: Apr 14, 2017 7:52 PM

————————————————————

I can’t imagine going through this with my own child. It breaks my own heart. Puts all of my perceived problems in perspective.

God Bless

10. motobill says: Apr 14, 2017 8:15 PM

And the story breaks on Good Friday…

11. unbreakable02215 says: Apr 14, 2017 8:16 PM

Saw this story earlier today. Needed to see it too.

GREAT story.

12. jimmeoneoftwo says: Apr 14, 2017 8:24 PM

How in the world can anyone vote thumbs down on this article? This was the gift of life. Thank you Mr. Reuland.

13. nyneal says: Apr 14, 2017 8:55 PM

Awesome story. My son had a heart transplant in 2004, so it’s especially meaningful to us.

14. aliveguy24 says: Apr 14, 2017 9:35 PM

To the people that thumbs down these kind of stories. I hope you can sleep at night.

29 way too young to go. But like some one else said GREAT final act.

Man of the hour (by Pearl Jam) comes to mind

R.I.P.

15. biggs13 says: Apr 14, 2017 10:52 PM

If you are an organ donor you can save up to 8 lives. Register today.

16. diveleft says: Apr 15, 2017 12:35 AM

Coincidence: Reuland died at the age of 29, which was Carew’s jersey number.

17. granadafan says: Apr 15, 2017 2:43 AM

Everyone should be listed as an organ donor. Should the unthinkable happen, you can give someone the gift of life.