DeAndre Hopkins takes issue with idea he had a down season

Getty Images

Texans receiver DeAndre Hopkins’ statistics declined significantly from 2015 to 2016. His catches went from 111 to 78. His yards went from 1,521 to 954. And his touchdowns went from 11 to four. But don’t tell Hopkins he had a down season.

Houston coach Bill O’Brien defended Hopkins today against questions about whether he declined last year, and when Hopkins was asked about that, he took umbrage at the notion.

“A down season? It’s a team sport. I did my job,” Hopkins said, via Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle.

A wide receiver’s statistics are highly dependent on his quarterback, and if he doesn’t have a good quarterback he’s not going to have good statistics. And last year, Hopkins did not have a good quarterback. Still, Hopkins has no ill will toward Brock Osweiler.

He’s a good guy,” Hopkins said of Osweiler. “I know he’s going to do well wherever he ends up.”

It remains to be seen whether the Texans will have a quarterback in 2017 who helps Hopkins put up numbers more like 2015.

28 responses to “DeAndre Hopkins takes issue with idea he had a down season

1. Better would have been “Down Season? We went to the playoffs and I helped with that.”

What if his RB ran 400 times, lessening the amount of throws and thus receptions but the Texans went to the AFC championship game?

Would that be a down season?

Statistics will confess to anything if you abuse them enough.

2. I watched enough Texans games to see Osweiller’s play was BRUTAL. This reminds me of the 2+ seasons Randy Moss wasted of his career playing with some of the worse QBs in the league.

3. He definitely had a down year on my fantasy team! All good though. I shouldn’t have picked in the 1st round. Jordy Nelson picked up the slack for him though n had a great comeback year n helped my team out. I hope Hopkins comes back and has a strong season. Talented wr. I like him.

4. damcmp says:
    Apr 17, 2017 7:34 PM
    Another overhyped Texan loser
    =========================

There may be a couple of WR’s as good but outside of maybe Antonio Brown (maybe) there isn’t a better receiver in the game today and Brown has a future HOF QB throwing him the ball. Massive respect for his game from this Pats fan.

5. Can he do anything other than make sideline grabs? I’ve never seen that guy make a catch inside the hash marks.

6. tylawspick6 says:
    Apr 17, 2017 8:25 PM
    this guy can’t hold edelman’s jock
    ______________

Edelman would be out of the league if he didn’t have Brady throwing him the ball. See Welker, Wes

7. Anyone making these statements is just trying to get a rise out of the fans and the player.

He still almost had 1000 yards with a rookie QB.

8. cheapseater says:
    Apr 17, 2017 9:01 PM

His father, Jalen Ramsey, is expecting much more from him this season.
    ——————————————-
    Then Hopkins should be arrested for parental abuse.

9. rondayne says:
    Apr 17, 2017 9:33 PM
    tylawspick6 says:
    Apr 17, 2017 8:25 PM
    this guy can’t hold edelman’s jock
    ______________

———————-

You guys really need to get your stories straight. First you say Brady is just a “system QB” and would be a nobody without BB. Now you claim that Brady is the only reason a WR is still in the league….

10. Hammerhead says:
    Apr 18, 2017 2:18 AM
    Unless Houston has a quality starting QB stuffed in a locker in their locker room, I predict he’ll be saying the same thing next April.
    ______________________

That QB could be in someone else’s locker room right now.
    It’s mid April, there’s a long way to go before anyone takes a snap that counts. Don’t be surprised if they do something to get another QB in there. Houston may have swung and missed with Osweiler but at least they swung, unlike Elway who kept the bat on his shoulder. Between the cap, FA and injuries the window of opportunity can slam shut damn quick.

11. Tell Peerless Price that!!!! when he left Buffalo an d went to Atlanta and Micheal “run first” Vick and he was labeled a FA bust because VIck ran 1007 yds and didn’t throw the ball where he should. HOPKINS IS A PRIMA DONA CRY BABY!!!

12. I just heard about this post on my local sports station, PFT really took little snippets of what he said and are trying to make him sound selfish, ehen in fact if you read the actual article, his tone is completely different than how PFT wants to portray. And this is why athletes can’t stand the media smh