Getty Images

When running back Adrian Peterson was first contemplating his release from the Vikings this offseason, he listed the Buccaneers as one of the teams that he thought would be a good fit for continuing his NFL career.

Peterson has visited with a few teams since becoming a free agent, but the Bucs aren’t among them and there’s been little indication that there’s interest on their end when it comes to bringing Peterson on board. If they should consider a change of course, Peterson should be able to count on a favorable vote from quarterback Jameis Winston.

Winston spent time working out with Peterson this offseason and was asked on Monday if he would like to share a backfield with the veteran back.

“Absolutely,” Winston said, via ESPN.com. “I don’t know of anyone that wouldn’t. But that’s out of my league. I can only talk about what I learned from him and how he helped me this offseason.”

Winston said it was “very eye-opening” to see how hard Peterson was working during their joint workouts in Houston and said he saw what it takes to play at a high level in the NFL for an extended period of time. Peterson’s play didn’t reach that level in 2016, however, and that’s a big part of the reason why he’s still looking for a home for the 2017 season.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
7 Responses to “Jameis Winston “absolutely” would play with Adrian Peterson after working out with him”
  1. whenwilliteverend says: Apr 17, 2017 5:33 PM

Jameis Winston “absolutely” would play with Adrian Peterson

I think perhaps they should have worded that a little differently.

2. crossdamon says: Apr 17, 2017 6:54 PM

I’m certain that whoever signs AP will be getting a running back with plenty of good tread left on the tires. He is physical freak of nature who has already come back from one catastrophic knee injury to win league MVP.

Now, his MVP days are behind him, but he’s still good for 15 carries a game at 4 yards per carry. And, he is also quite capable of the occasional 125 yard game on 20-25 carries. I think AP would be a tremendous asset to a number of teams. Even at 32 years he’d be one of the best backs in the league. In 2015 he led the league in rushing. He’s not far away from that.

3. seriously423 says: Apr 17, 2017 8:01 PM

that’s nice

4. immafubared says: Apr 17, 2017 8:32 PM

Sure he would.

5. sidelineshot says: Apr 17, 2017 9:03 PM

Jameis who?

6. tonebones says: Apr 17, 2017 9:24 PM

John Elway has been a very successful GM, but even he waited until long after his playing days to assume that role. I guess Elway has made it look so easy, now everybody thinks they can be the GM. Give me a break.

7. dawoger says: Apr 17, 2017 9:48 PM

Nothing like reading about one sociopath carrying the water for another.