Derek Carr: Fans who aren’t still with us weren’t true Raider fans

AP

Any Oakland fans who are no longer supporting the Raiders because they’re moving to Las Vegas aren’t real fans, according to quarterback Derek Carr.

Carr said at the start of the team’s offseason workout program that he expects Oakland fans to remain loyal to the team, and doesn’t think they were ever really fans if they don’t.

“We’re not going to split up like you’ve seen other cities do,” Carr said, via ESPN. “We’re not going to do things like that. For the ones that do, I don’t really believe that they’re true Raider fans. I feel their hurt. I’m with you. I hurt, too. But at the same time, we’re all in this together and we’re just going to do it together.”

Carr believes only a tiny minority of fans will ditch the Raiders.

“Out of like 1,000 people, you’re going to get one or two that have something to say and that’s with everything,” he said. “Hopefully y’all don’t focus on that kind of stuff because there’s the 99 percent that are loyal, faithful fans that are going to ride with us wherever we’re at.”

That’s all easy for Carr to say. It’s harder for Oakland residents who have supported the team with their hard-earned dollars for years to accept that the team will abandon them.

UPDATE 10:33 a.m. ET: Carr clarified his comments on Twitter:

Permalink 212 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
212 Responses to “Derek Carr: Fans who aren’t still with us weren’t true Raider fans”
  1. fanfrommontreal says: Apr 18, 2017 8:57 AM

Spectacular double standard.

2. jimmysee says: Apr 18, 2017 8:57 AM

Rather presumptuous on your part, Derek! I think, rather, that the Raiders proved they were not true Oakland fans!

3. blaser32 says: Apr 18, 2017 8:58 AM

We are Oakland Raider fans not just Raider fans.

I am sure Cleveland still supported the Ravens when they moved. Moron

Thanks you for this I will stop supporting you now

4. superpatsfan5 says: Apr 18, 2017 8:58 AM

Why make that comment?

5. r8danation says: Apr 18, 2017 8:58 AM

T R U T H !

6. jm91rs says: Apr 18, 2017 8:58 AM

Woah there Derek. I guess you don’t realize that the majority of any sports fan is a fan of their team because that team is in their city? Leave their city and there’s a good chance they’ll leave you.

7. cowboysdude says: Apr 18, 2017 8:59 AM

Not very bright.. are you? Keep your mouth shut.. ANYTHING you say can be taken out of context… just like this…

8. seahawkz4life says: Apr 18, 2017 9:00 AM

Raider fans aren’t like 49er fans, they ain’t going anywhere

9. Stiller43 says: Apr 18, 2017 9:00 AM

Easier said than done, but if Pittsburgh lost the Steelers, I’d stop rooting for them.

Just like the team is bigger than the individuals playing for it, the city is bigger than the team that plays there.

10. trabbit55 says: Apr 18, 2017 9:01 AM

I usually dig everything this kid says, he’s really grounded and respectful.
    In this case, though, I disagree- it’s easy for him to say that as a player for the franchise, but he’s not someone who has spent countless dollars supporting this billion dollar franchise and watching them leave for greed yet again.
    I’m not a Raiders fan, but I know if I was in their position, I wouldn’t be a Raiders fan going forward.

11. markmanxp says: Apr 18, 2017 9:01 AM

The Oakland Raiders are moving to Oakland? Weird!

12. corchamp says: Apr 18, 2017 9:02 AM

This is like getting the “we can still be friends” line

13. dawsonleery says: Apr 18, 2017 9:02 AM

I agree. Are you a Raiders fan of just a fan of the city of Oakland? Raiders fans are all over the U.S, actually they’re all over the world. Sorry Oaktown.

14. kcflake says: Apr 18, 2017 9:02 AM

If it matters Derek, I will always HATE the Raiders at the same Intense level, regardless of where you guys play.

15. u4iadman says: Apr 18, 2017 9:03 AM

Who cares about the residents which made up a small percentage of the actual game day audience.

For the vast majority we watch our raiders on tv.

16. najacoo22 says: Apr 18, 2017 9:03 AM

Any Oakland fans who are no longer supporting the Raiders because they’re moving to Oakland aren’t real fans, according to quarterback Derek Carr.

————–

The Raiders are moving to Oakland?!?!

17. jjackwagon says: Apr 18, 2017 9:03 AM

Just goes to show how truly disconnected players are from the fans.
    Not directed as an insult to Carr, he has only been there 3 years. He is young and young people have a tendency to say stupid things.
    He has no idea what it means to support a team for 20, 30, 40 or 50 years and have that team turn its back on your city and move away. Twice.
    He would be better served to just be quiet.

18. mikespillane337 says: Apr 18, 2017 9:05 AM

Hey Carr …prove your “loyalty” to the fans in oakland by refusing to play anywhere else.Long distance relationships work all the time.Not a Raiders fan and I feel for the fans of any team that they have supported and got shafted.

19. silvernblacksabbath says: Apr 18, 2017 9:05 AM

Al screwed Oakland moving to LA in ’82.

20. jakeman21co says: Apr 18, 2017 9:06 AM

What a load of crap. This is the complete wrong way to address the issue. Should have said something like “I’m hoping we still have everyone’s support”. Don’t go blaming the fans for what your owner just did.

21. bitw44 says: Apr 18, 2017 9:06 AM

Dude has been a Raider for 3 years.

I dare him to say this to one of the black hole members in full costume who have supported this team for years, specifically through the past 15 years of futility.

22. monarch76 says: Apr 18, 2017 9:07 AM

This guy is clueless. Rich guy in the NFL wants Oakland to keep cheering for him? Give me a break that franchise just screwed Oakland. Add this guy to the list of players I now root against.

23. mykpfsu says: Apr 18, 2017 9:07 AM

Pretty sure thats not how that works.

24. charliecharger says: Apr 18, 2017 9:08 AM

I usually don’t need players getting involved in stuff like this, but Carr is right. Some in the media like to stir it up, and I totally understand that. We’re supposed to mad at pro basketball teams resting players. We’re supposed to criticize all refs and umps. We’re supposed to hate the NFL commissioner because he caught one of our favorite players cheating. We’re supposed to be mad at whatever “they” tell us we’re supposed to be mad about. I don’t care what field the Raiders play on. It’s all on my TV screen anyway. I haven’t enjoyed watching the Raiders as much as I do now for a long time. Go Raiders!

25. mousietongue says: Apr 18, 2017 9:13 AM

1st tone deaf comment I’ve heard from him. I live in Houston and the Oilers were dead to me the moment Bud Adams stood up in Nashville and asked if they were ready for some football.

26. holidlove says: Apr 18, 2017 9:14 AM

This isn’t like if the Mets moved to the Meadowlands. Or if the Skins actually moved to D.C. They’re moving from Oakland to Las Vegas. True, there are probably MANY fans of MANY teams that are loyal to the team. People in NE that like the Cowboys likely won’t care if they move. Steelers fans in Oklahoma wouldn’t care if the Steelers moved. But I can tell you that the people in those areas with care a lot. To think otherwise is silly.

27. footballgodtb12 says: Apr 18, 2017 9:16 AM

Stupidest Comment from a player…EVER…The loyalty (MONEY!!) people from Oakland put into that team over the years obviously means nothing to ownership. That’s like saying people from St. Louis better cheer for the team in LA, or they are not real fans…I am pretty sure the people in St. Louis don’t want the ownership in LA (Rams) to be successful…Carr, your team will have less fans because they will not be spending their hard earned money on a team that turned their back on them…its gonna be hilarious to watch this ship slowly sink the next 2 years, be even more hilarious if the mayor and city officials throw this team out of the stadium before 2019 (won’t happen, but would be funny). The Browns faltered after they found out the team would be moving, just when Oakland/Vegas Raiders started to turn the corner…good luck in advertising this TITANIC S%$t sandwich the next couple years

28. therealtrenches says: Apr 18, 2017 9:16 AM

To use a tried and true PFT-ism, he might want to try putting that toothpaste back in the tube.

29. therealtrenches says: Apr 18, 2017 9:18 AM

Also…way to pour gas on a burning house, Derek. Do you think this is going to make your those 8 games marked with an “H” more fun? Not smart.

30. thelongestgoodbye says: Apr 18, 2017 9:18 AM

I grew up in Baltimore, I don’t know of a single Indianapolis Colt fan from here. Like many said above, you are a fan of your cities team – not the team always.

31. hgamatt says: Apr 18, 2017 9:19 AM

You have to love a guy who has been playing for a team for 4 years dictating how fans who have supported a team for longer than this man has been alive should respond to their team leaving.

And I cannot wait for the headlines if he ever ends up in a position where he hits the open market and takes another deal to play elsewhere…. He’s only a fan because the team name is on his paycheck.

32. gunnyfw says: Apr 18, 2017 9:21 AM

Happy to see he feels that everyone is in this together, maybe he can see to it that he helps pay off the $85 million tab the Raiders left for the taxpayers of Oakland?

33. charger383 says: Apr 18, 2017 9:22 AM

Like the Raiders but care less about Oakland

34. pastabelly says: Apr 18, 2017 9:22 AM

Wow, the Raiders should start talking to their players about what to say and what not to say. Bad management here. Carr should not be saying that.

35. exinsidetrader says: Apr 18, 2017 9:23 AM

Oakland has been a mismanaged pit for decades, but these comments by Carr make me somewhat sympathetic to the residents of that City that keep voting the same way.

36. redlikethepig says: Apr 18, 2017 9:24 AM

I’d be hard pressed to pick out a worse statement to make.

37. bernieknowsfootball says: Apr 18, 2017 9:25 AM

Being a Browns fan, when they left for Baltimore, I stopped watching football altogether, I feel sorry for the Oakland fans and they should not take the Raider name with them. Thank God Baltimore didn’t take the Browns name because if they did, I still wouldn’t be watching !!!

38. sparty0n says: Apr 18, 2017 9:26 AM

She your wife files for divorce and is packing to leave, and now she pissed because you don’t support her decision!

39. kamthechancellor says: Apr 18, 2017 9:26 AM

Watch him flame out this season now…just play football dude and quit crapping on one of the most loyal fanbases in sports.

40. usg1 says: Apr 18, 2017 9:26 AM

As an Eagles fan, if the Eagles moved away….. I might still have a care for them, but if Philadelphia got a new team, they would be my favorite team. Now I might be an Eagles fan till that happened, but I cheer for MY CITY’S team, not just some random team that used to have some connection with my city but left. That is like me still cheering (maybe not me because I’m too young to see them in Philly), for the Golden State Warriors or Oakland Athletics because they used to be in Philly.

Speaking of that, both Philadelphia teams moved to Oakland……. Are the Eagles next? lol

41. fngs1 says: Apr 18, 2017 9:27 AM

charliecharger says:
    Apr 18, 2017 9:08 AM
    ————————————————————
    So what you are saying is, that everyone in Baltimore should still be a Colts fan’s even thou they moved to Indy? And everyone in Cleveland should be a Raven fan? Or everyone from Houston should be a Titans fan? I don’t think that is how it works. The Raiders will maintain a good portion of their fans from Oakland, but as the years go by they will start losing the fans from Oakland.

42. daytonaken says: Apr 18, 2017 9:28 AM

As a BALTIMORE COLT fan I say Carr is an ignorant, immature anal pore.

43. voddyt says: Apr 18, 2017 9:28 AM

Tone deaf, which is par for the course with the NFL these days.

44. honalulublue says: Apr 18, 2017 9:28 AM

Methinks most Raider fans, (Ex fans) would enjoy seeing them flop, rather than succeed, at this point.

45. irimz says: Apr 18, 2017 9:29 AM

I don’t blame Derek Carr.
    I blame the Bowl Cut, goofy looking Owner who put Carr in this surreal situation.

Mark Davis lied his way out of Oakland by tarpping off 10k seats with 20k waitlist to justify the ‘lowest tix sales in NFL’ argument.

Will rejoice when this moron is separated from the Raiders organization.

46. audient says: Apr 18, 2017 9:30 AM

When the Browns left Cleveland, you better know we didn’t root for the Ravens. And if we hadn’t clawed away the name from Art Modell in court, we wouldn’t have rooted for the Baltimore Browns.

Pride in your team, sure. But pride in your city. And pride for a team that is committed to your city.

The Raiders have filed for divorce and don’t even have the common decency to get out now. The city should throw them out and change the locks on the doors. Let them sleep on someone else’s couch for two years, till their new desert palace is ready.

47. harrisonhits2 says: Apr 18, 2017 9:32 AM

I just lost all respect for this player. Hope the Raiders fail spectacularly in Vegas.

48. jodylab says: Apr 18, 2017 9:33 AM

If Oakland residents are so angry I guess they should’ve elected city officials that actually cared about helping to keep the raiders in Oakland rather than spending a decade playing games.

49. firedog784 says: Apr 18, 2017 9:38 AM

What blind ignorance.

50. weepingjebus says: Apr 18, 2017 9:39 AM

His mouth is moving but all I hear is Goodell’s voice. Teams that are nothing but fungible business units that can be outsourced to China and Mexico is a dream for that fool.

51. silvernblacksabbath says: Apr 18, 2017 9:40 AM

My Raiders memorabilia WILL NOT have ‘Las Vegas’ on it EVER!!! Just like I hate the ‘Los Angeles’.. Give me the old skull!!!

52. silvernblacksabbath says: Apr 18, 2017 9:43 AM

^I’m in Oklahoma^

53. rubicon202 says: Apr 18, 2017 9:48 AM

I agree with him 100% and if you stop being a Raider fan then peace be with you.

I’ve been around since we left for LA and back. After all the mediocre years of coaches, players and being the but of every NFL joke you remained a Raider fan then after all this you will still remained a fan.

54. edwicy says: Apr 18, 2017 9:50 AM

If the Boston Red Sox moved to NYC, how many would remain Red Sox fans?

55. dcpatfan says: Apr 18, 2017 9:51 AM

The Undisputed GOAT QB in NFL History would never alienate His base in this manner.

I’m SonProud to be A Patriot

56. 6thsense10 says: Apr 18, 2017 9:53 AM

Baby I know I’m divorcing you for a richer glitzier woman but the divorce isn’t for another year but in the meantime if you don’t continue loving me during this year same as you did before else that proves you never loved me at all.

57. whywerule says: Apr 18, 2017 9:53 AM

Carr believes only a tiny minority of fans will ditch the Raiders.
    —————————–

I don’t know how many current Raiders fans will ditch the Raiders, but I expect the majority of Raiders fans will believe that Carr should have kept his mouth shut on the subject.

58. onermedboxer says: Apr 18, 2017 9:59 AM

Love watching Carr play quarterback, but seems like every time he talks about something that isn’t X’s and O’s he probably would’ve been better off with his foot in his mouth

59. nflviewer says: Apr 18, 2017 10:00 AM

I’ve never understood extreme fanatics for professional, for-profit sports teams (I’m not a Packers fan, but at least the Packers are a non-profit team). It’s like rooting for Wal-Mart or Facebook or Microsoft if you won’t work there and aren’t a shareholder. I want my family. friends and community to do well, and I’ll be fanatic for their happiness and success.

I enjoy watching football. I enjoy going to games in person. But it’s entertainment. It’s not a charity. The teams are not your friends. When you go to a Seahawks, Chiefs, Texans, Patriots, Bucs, Lions or Bengals game, the owners are selling you a product. If you get laid off, the owners aren’t coming to your home to help you out, give you a hand, help you get a new job. If you or your kids or grandkids need help in school, the team owners aren’t going to tutor your kid. If your house needs to be painted, don’t expect your favorite team to give a fig.

60. nutpunchnancy says: Apr 18, 2017 10:00 AM

Honey, I’m divorcing you and moving out with the kids but if you get mad, that means you never really loved me!

What a load of crap!!! LMAO! EPIC SPIN FAIL!

61. mjtn says: Apr 18, 2017 10:00 AM

That’s because most of them are OAKLAND fans. I would ditch the team that represented my city in a heartbeat if they left my city.

62. ninerfan81 says: Apr 18, 2017 10:02 AM

you cant fake Stupid like this

63. jvw1982 says: Apr 18, 2017 10:05 AM

So fans get kicked in the teeth by the org once again and somehow its their fault? I have a feeling he will be walking this statement back in 3..2…1….

64. davidgreene81 says: Apr 18, 2017 10:05 AM

I have to agree with Carr. I grew up in North Carolina and I’m a huge Panthers fan. I’ve lived in GA (near the Falcons), in PA (near the Steelers), in VA (near the Redskins) and everywhere I’ve lived I have also been surrounded by stupid Cowboys fans. But at no point in any of my moves did I stop pulling for the Panthers or considered myself less of a fan just because I was no longer in the same city/state. Yes, the reason I originally became a fan was because of their location. But once I became a fan, location (mine or the team’s) was no longer a factor in why I was a fan.

65. 250dollarnflowner says: Apr 18, 2017 10:06 AM

As a huge fan of the North Stars, I stopped being a fan the day they left for Dallas. Shut up Carr!

66. oleboyblog says: Apr 18, 2017 10:08 AM

Say, say fellas, why are you all hitting young DC. He is a player that see and hear true fans. I live in Denver, CO I am a Raider fan and have been since I can remember. Why are the fans giving ole girl Libby and her henchmen a pass for not doing more to keep the Raiders in Oak-town.

67. jxt2521 says: Apr 18, 2017 10:08 AM

To all the people demolishing this kid..remember this team was the L.A. Raiders at one point very recently.

This move is a huge deal to Raider fans in and or from Oakland but to the rest of us it’s kind of cool.

68. bondlake says: Apr 18, 2017 10:10 AM

Derek –

U r a friggin’ dirtball for making such a comment.

69. pastabelly says: Apr 18, 2017 10:15 AM

bernieknowsfootball says:
    Apr 18, 2017 9:25 AM
    =================================
    I call BS on you. Nobody watches or doesn’t watch based on a team name. Ridiculous.

70. therealraider says: Apr 18, 2017 10:15 AM

I absolutely agree with Carr. The Raiders could move to Afghanistan and I’d still be a fan. Rats jump ship.

71. rideforjesus says: Apr 18, 2017 10:16 AM

kind of hard to root for a team where they play 8 hour drive away….

Kind of hard to root for a team that you have all sorts of player jerseys or team/city fan gear when your team now sports new city logos…..

Kind of hard to root for a team where the fan base grew up with the team and the new city has more transients than the actual local population…

Sad all the way around and I am not a raider fan…

And for this nit wit QB to lash out to the real fans with a stupid phrase like that is just dumb….

72. infectorman says: Apr 18, 2017 10:18 AM

He should just be happy ha has fans, period.
    He should just be happy the gets paid absurd sums of $ to play a children’s game.
    He should just be happy he didn’t have to play the Pats last year, although the experience of losing in the playoffs to NE would have served him well
    Tuck yourself in Raiders fans and have a nice offseason!

73. Jared Speight says: Apr 18, 2017 10:20 AM

That’s an incredibly stupid comment, house to be a Charlotte Hornets fan, but when the team moved to another city my loyalty died. I wouldn’t have even considered pulling for the New Orleans Hornets. It’d be like having your car stolen but still hoping the new driver enjoyed the ride.

74. cmtumd says: Apr 18, 2017 10:22 AM

15 consecutive garbage seasons and a crazy owner and they still showed up. If that’s not being a “true fan” I don’t know what is. Keep up the comments and they’ll be glad the team is leaving.

75. 2sloweggroll says: Apr 18, 2017 10:22 AM

Wow… as a long time fan of the Raiders, I was undecided about my position on them moving. While I am still undecided, DC was one of the main reasons I was thinking about staying loyal next year. He just made a very stupid statement and has me reconsidering.

Of course his loyalty will be questioned very soon in FA. Let’s see how much of a Hometown deal he gives Reggie….

76. nflviewer says: Apr 18, 2017 10:22 AM

77. thefan08 says: Apr 18, 2017 10:22 AM

This is too funny. It’s like a dude who divorces his wife and finds a new girlfriend. He then tells his soon to be ex-wife, I will still live at the house with you for a few years. And then the oldest son goes to mom and says, even though Dad is moving, and we kids are moving with him, I still expect you to love Dad and maybe even hook him up with the occasionally booty call. lol

Carr, you are as clueless as they come but the true clueless bunch are the fans. Now, I consider myself a fan but not in the way some of these other fans are. I root for my team, I have the Sunday Ticket but I never lose perspective on the fact that this is a business. This is why I find it comical when a Player and Team are fighting over salary and most fans will side with the team, who cares, they are all rich. Or some other fans go as far as to tattoo players or team names on their body. folks this is a business, the sooner you understand that the sooner you can sit back enjoy the game and your fantasy football.

78. kemp13 says: Apr 18, 2017 10:24 AM

What an idiot.

79. neelymessier says: Apr 18, 2017 10:25 AM

That’s what the Dodgers and Giants said after ripping out the hearts of two NY fanbases. The Mets took one color from each team as a nod to the past. There are very few Dodgers or Giants fans in metro NYC.

80. manipuraram says: Apr 18, 2017 10:27 AM

If you’ve really ever listened to this guy talk, you know he’s not very bright. Everything is sn athletic cliche’or a Christian cliche. He’s like a dumb Kurt Warner. “they’ll continue to ride with us.”What a moron. “He’s got a strong arm though, and he’s a good quarterback. Anything that requires being intelligent is beyond him, though. Forget about winning a super bowl with this blockhead Raider fans. InOskland or otherwise.

81. brownoholic says: Apr 18, 2017 10:27 AM

Wow . . .

82. r8rsfan says: Apr 18, 2017 10:27 AM

Retraction coming soon.

I want to read the entire interview because these comments are way out of character for this kid who grew up a Raiders fan in Bakersfield.

83. beachsidejames says: Apr 18, 2017 10:29 AM

Derek Carr is proof you can be a QB and a jackass at the same time.

84. bighoser says: Apr 18, 2017 10:29 AM

The VAST majority of people here are not Raider fans or from Oakland, so there’s that… Additionally, I bet most have never been to a Raider home game in Oakland because if they had, they’d get why the Raiders were in a hurry to leave: the Coliseum is literally a sewer pit and has to be the worst stadium in the league by far. As a Raider fan since the early 70s here in NorCal, I’ve refused to go back to that hell hole for over 15 years. I supported the team when they’ve moved before and hoped the Coliseum would be improved, but adding nose bleed seats (that are now tarped) where you need binoculars doesn’t count. Oakland never came up with the money for a sorely needed stadium, while Vegas is chipping in $750 million for a state of the art stadium… No brainer.

OTHOH, I will absolutely take the short, cheap flight to Vegas for a weekend at least once a year to see my favorite team play in an awesome football stadium that doesn’t have a baseball diamond on it. That’s a party! I’ll miss tailgating before Raider games (by FAR the best part as it was Halloween every Sunday) but that experience ain’t worth the crappy conditions so I’m looking forward to the big tailgate party that is Vegas!
    One Nation!!!!

85. nutpunchnancy says: Apr 18, 2017 10:29 AM

Rayduhs gonna need some more tarps.

86. justwinbaby29 says: Apr 18, 2017 10:29 AM

Carr is right.

The Raiders are a NATIONAL team. They have fans from all of the country (and world). I’m sorry for the Oakland fans but it’s not like they moved across the country. This will be their third move – it’s not the same as the Steelers leaving Pittsburgh for example.

They are still the RAIDERS with tradition, history and colors. But their stadium is a disaster. While Mark Davis could have done more the city of Oakland blew it ultimately. As long as the team wins the fans will come out. Period.

87. nyneal says: Apr 18, 2017 10:30 AM

Typical comments of a spoiled, arrogant, rich pro athlete. If I were a Raider fan, I’d show who him how much of a fan I was by organizing a boycott of the Raiders first game this year.
    I’d hold it in the parking lot of the stadium and let him and the Raiders know exactly how Raiders fans feel about his comments.
    I hope Derek Carr never wins a Super Bowl.
    To you long time Raiders fans — I’ve been watching the NFL since 1960 and the old AFL since its inception. I always rooted for the Raiders to win the AFL Championship. In those days, we had no color tv and I just thought the Radiers uniforms were the coolest looking uniforms in the AFL. They looked the best to me on a black and white tv.
    The Raiders had many great players and teams. And they had passionate, loyal fans. Yeah, they could be rowdy, but so could fans of other teams.
    So to you fans, I offer my sympathy for the Raiders moving to Vegas. The NFL is all about money and fans have no bearing on any of their decisions. We all saw that when they came up with seat licensing. And now this nitwit in charge is moving games out of the country, further sticking it to the fans of the teams.
    I know this much. If I were a Raiders fan, there’s no way I’d ever travel to Vegas to see them play — even if they gave me the tickets. To me, that would be like trying to get a date with your ex-wife after she ran off with another guy and divorced you.
    So hang in there Raiders fans, and form a protest group to let Derek Carr know he ought to shut his big mouth.

88. craigruby20 says: Apr 18, 2017 10:30 AM

If location wasn’t important to fans, the NFL wouldn’t be able to leverage it into $500 million stadium deals. Can’t have it both ways. If you steal tax dollars because fans are desperate to have a team in they’re city, you can’t expect fans to be OK with teams leaving their city.

89. motleytrap says: Apr 18, 2017 10:30 AM

As a Ram fan I heard fans and ex fans from LA and STL shouting this at each other for years.

It’s like saying if you get divorced you were never married to begin with.

These people were Raider fans. Some still are, some aren’t anymore. That’s all there is to it.

90. manipuraram says: Apr 18, 2017 10:32 AM

Dumb ass Derek Carr. This guy has 0 chance to beat Brady. All you have to do is listen to the timbre in his voice to hear how stupid he is.

91. puntonfirstdown says: Apr 18, 2017 10:32 AM

Ummm, he does realize that he has to play two more seasons IN Oakland… right?

92. QB Film Room says: Apr 18, 2017 10:35 AM

LOL Carr is a Manipulator! I thought he had a heart of gold??

93. thetwilightsown says: Apr 18, 2017 10:36 AM

#fakenews is the only news

94. esorick says: Apr 18, 2017 10:36 AM

Of course he believes the Oakland fans should stay fans. more revenue for the team, = more cash for him when it comes time to sign a new contract.

95. rjc32586 says: Apr 18, 2017 10:38 AM

Sounds like he’s one of those guys who became a fan of whatever teams were good during his formative years, so geography doesn’t matter to him. Those kinds of “fans” I always just dismissed as fake. This was a horribly stupid comment.

96. twinfan24 says: Apr 18, 2017 10:38 AM

The double whammy is that a lot of those fans have supported the team while they stunk. Now, they are finally starting to show improvement, and they run out of town. Some may stay Raider fans, but I have to believe it is a very low percentage. How many Ram fans do you think there still are in St Louis?

97. thrifty says: Apr 18, 2017 10:40 AM

Loser. Enjoy the ONE good season. Raiders will not be a playoff team in 2017.

98. r8rsfan says: Apr 18, 2017 10:40 AM

Being a Raiders Fan is a life sentence. An incurable disease. It’s a lifestyle and unites people all over the world. I get it that watching them leave is excruciating, especially now that the team is having success having endured the previous 15 years.
    But how do you walk away from something that’s been a part of you? Other teams fans might not get it and probably think I sound insane, but Raider Nation will understand. It’s bigger than football.

99. peoplesfrontofjudea says: Apr 18, 2017 10:40 AM

+1 from a loyal Houston Oiler fan who despised Bud Adams and everything he touched after he moved the team from Houston. Thank God for Bob McNair.

100. internetcommenter7 says: Apr 18, 2017 10:43 AM

Much like his ability to play quarterback, his ability to answer questions without sounding like a moron was massively overrated.

101. fmc651 says: Apr 18, 2017 10:44 AM

You can’t have it both ways Derek. You can’t move to another city . And then think the fans in Oakland are going to be happy. And still want to cheer for another city’s team just because they are still called the Raiders.

102. footbal1q says: Apr 18, 2017 10:45 AM

Lets see how much of a Raider you are when its time to sign that contract…

103. TheDPR says: Apr 18, 2017 10:45 AM

More fans don’t attend games than do. That’s simple math. For millions of people, football is a television event, not a live one. For a huge number of those people, the city a game is played in is irrelevant. If you win games and are fun to watch, you’ll have fans whether you’re in Oakland or Vegas or Fargo or London.

It sucks to have your team leave your city but the Raiders and the NFL can live without Oakland quite easily. The loss of fans will be minimal when counting the bottom line.

104. kissmysandwich says: Apr 18, 2017 10:56 AM

Immature words from a young guy that doesn’t get it. A very rich man and an ultra rich business turned their back on a city because of greed. Why should fans support that?

105. DawgPound83 says: Apr 18, 2017 10:56 AM

“Baltimore fans who dont root for Indy arnt real Colts fans.”

“Cleveland fans who don’t root for Baltimore arn’t real Browns fans.”

Derek, your leg’s healed. Slow down on the painkillers.

106. maiphatdong says: Apr 18, 2017 11:05 AM

haha Raider fans, the cucks of the NFL

107. fwippel says: Apr 18, 2017 11:08 AM

Not the smartest comment by Carr. Regardless of the reasons and the logic behind the Raiders leaving Oakland, the bottom line is that the fans who have supported this team for decades are being shafted.

Expecting the fans in Oakland to just fall in line and accept this move is nonsense, and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

108. goodellmustgoblog says: Apr 18, 2017 11:12 AM

Spoken like a rich prick. What a jackass. Hated the Raiders in Oakland, hated them in LA. Will hate them on Vegas.

109. unbridledsexy says: Apr 18, 2017 11:12 AM

Well there are only 103 comments right now and we already have more then 1 or 2 who are giving you the finger from behind their computer screens.

I’m a KC fan and having the raiders anywhere but Oakland is a shame.

I already didn’t like Carr on principle. Now I have an even better reason.

110. dadsource says: Apr 18, 2017 11:16 AM

So Cleveland should be rooting for Baltimore, St. Louis for the Rams/Arizona, Baltimore for the Colts, San Diego for the Chargers….geography means nothing. Got it.

#clueless

111. guyjuneguyjune says: Apr 18, 2017 11:16 AM

Derek, your remark was wide-eyed childish. Davis, like the Spanos/Fabriani “mob” couldn’t care less. It’s screw the fans and get the money. Also stop blaming the City. Californians are the most over-taxed people in the U.S. Didn’t beloved Jerry “Moonbeam” Brown just raise gasoline taxes over 40%?

112. bighairbingopro says: Apr 18, 2017 11:16 AM

This was a horribly insensitive thing to say and I’ll bet management asked him to do it.

113. bighairbingopro says: Apr 18, 2017 11:25 AM

When the Oilers announced they were moving to Tennessee, they still planned on playing in Houston for two years whIle their new stadium was being built. Sound familiar? By the end of the first season, their home game attendance plummeted to 15,000. They played the second year at Vanderbilt.

114. 52crabcakes says: Apr 18, 2017 11:27 AM

I was born a BALTIMORE Colts fan, I still WILL NOT watch the indy team play, cannot stand to see those uniforms. That is how much I still hate them and their stupid owner. The irsays ripped the hearts out of this city and I will hate them forever. Carr, you are dreaming.

I also disliked it when Modell moved team from Cleveland BUT at least he was classy enough to leave the name and history there and they now have team called the Browns and it only took them a few years. I gave up the NFL COMPLETELY for 15 years after my team was stolen. I did not embrace the Ravens for the first 4 years because of how they got here.

stupid Mr. Taglibue, we did build a museum and filled it!

115. veddermn8 says: Apr 18, 2017 11:28 AM

Yikes Carr sounds tone deaf here. Does he also consider Raider fans who didn’t want to give public money to build a new stadium as “not real fans” as well? Obviously that’s an ownership and NFL issue, not Carr’s, but at the same time he sounds a little out of touch with the politics of NFL relocation

116. winninaintsinnin says: Apr 18, 2017 11:31 AM

Derek thinks he’s a huge part of Raider lore apparently.

LOL

Loser

117. sweetnlow44 says: Apr 18, 2017 11:33 AM

Yeah, go ask Sonics fans what they think of the OKC Blunder. Seriously, shut up Carr.

118. thefox61 says: Apr 18, 2017 11:33 AM

Yes, just like when the Sonics left Seattle. We all became thunder fans… Nope.
    In my case, I abandoned the NBA completely. In fact I’ve gone as far as avoiding Starbucks because I also blame the former owner (Shultz) for being such an idiot and selling MY team to investors from OK.
    I NO LONGER CARE!
    I wonder if Derek will feel the same way when he inevitably gets traded, cut or becomes FA?

119. 52crabcakes says: Apr 18, 2017 11:34 AM

pastabelly says:
    Apr 18, 2017 10:15 AM
    bernieknowsfootball says:
    Apr 18, 2017 9:25 AM
    =================================

—————————-
    I still do not watch indy play, and understand your pain

120. agbnewfoundlaw says: Apr 18, 2017 11:34 AM

I don’t know Derek…think you might not be old enough to understand quite what those fans are going through.

This would be not be the first time the team as left. One time would be hard enough for a fan base like the Raiders. Take that team away a second time and I can see why people would stop following the team.

I mean I’m sure they will again when they move back to Oakland around 2030 after the NFL realizes Vegas will never support a team. That city is full of transplant fans. When you get games against teams from cold weather climates I can see that team actually having a bigger fan base show up to the stadium simply because those people have been fans of another team their whole life.

121. joetoronto says: Apr 18, 2017 11:36 AM

They are the Raiders and no matter where they play, they will have a global fanbase behind them.

You fans of regional teams don’t get it and never will.

One nation, Raider Nation.

122. granadafan says: Apr 18, 2017 11:37 AM

Millennial Derek Carr wasn’t even born when the Raiders first shafted Oakland and Alameda County by moving to LA. He was barely out of diapers when Al Davis forced his move BACK to Oakland and made the taxpayers pay for massive renovations to the Coliseum while contributing zero dollars. Now the Raiders are once again abandoning Oakland and the East Bay sticking the taxpayers for the renovations bill.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Carr doesn’t know what it’s like to be a fan. He’s completely and utterly out of touch

123. sportnorcal says: Apr 18, 2017 11:40 AM

Fan of the team across the Bay, but this is just a selfish and uneducated statement on his part. The Raiders (will have) moved THREE TIMES in my lifetime.

Instead of questioning the fan loyalty how about exploring the loyalty of the Organization?

124. bighairbingopro says: Apr 18, 2017 11:45 AM

I truly feel bad for the die hard fans in Oakland. But in reality, they are merely the kids of divorcing parents and the Raiders have very legitimate reasons for leaving after being unsupported by their city and county government officials for so many years. Divorce is never pretty. Carr should have stayed quiet.

125. radrntn says: Apr 18, 2017 11:45 AM

Funny how a kid who was born about 30 years later after I became a fan of the Raiders, want to try to say what a “Raider ” fan is. Just an FYI Derek, I will never be a fan of the greed and money grab of the NFL owners and Mark Davis….everybody knows if Al was alive this would not have happened.

126. r8rsfan says: Apr 18, 2017 11:47 AM

If they start next season slow and lose a couple of games early, that stadium won’t be a happy place to be.

127. mcniner55 says: Apr 18, 2017 11:47 AM

Raiders tried to get a new stadium in oakland for like 5 years. There move away from the city was inevitable.

Really makes me happy even my crappy 49ers were able to get shovels in the dirt in little over a year. Having your team move away sucks for everyone.

128. jmc8888 says: Apr 18, 2017 11:48 AM

What a stupid thing to say.

Loyalty isn’t keeping with the team when they leave.

Loyalty was watching the Raiders when they sucked for over a decade.

Now the people that did that are having the team uprooted.

Then Carr says they weren’t really fans.

Dumbest thing I’ve heard an NFL player (besides Sherman) say this year.

Does Carr realize he has to play in Oakland for at least the 2017 season? Out of touch.

129. christianholzman says: Apr 18, 2017 11:52 AM

The Cowboys are Americas team anyways.

130. geefan1 says: Apr 18, 2017 12:03 PM

This should end well…

131. raiddawgz says: Apr 18, 2017 12:03 PM

I grew up a Raiders fan when they were on LA and had no problem still rooting for them when they went to Oaktown. If Oakland wanted them sooo bad they should have done much more to keep them. OAKLAND DID NOTHING FOR MANY YEARS TO KEEP THEM SO GOODBYE. I will always bleed Silver and Black where ever they may land – Raiders for Life!

132. youaresimple says: Apr 18, 2017 12:04 PM

I have no problem with what he said. I am from California and have lived in Oakland, and I have always been a RAIDER fan not an Oakland fan. Absolutely those people who live in Oakland will be upset and may stop watching them BUT that didn’t stop the team the first time they moved nor will it now.

Financial Analysts have already predicted the team will be worth way more after the move…this is business folks. Sports Franchises have NEVER been anything more. They are literally no different than any other business…Google, Microsoft, Boeing, etc. They ONLY take the city’s moniker because that has been the tradition…what about the Golden State Warriors? Oakland couldn’t do jack when they moved and it didn’t really make too many headlines…this is what teams need to start doing, taking vague state names not cities’ names.

Carr’s statement upsets Oakland fans…not RAIDER fans. He’s not wrong for making the statement, people are just overly sensitive.

133. ravensbob says: Apr 18, 2017 12:05 PM

52 crab cakes: awesome!

Derek Carr=CTE

134. mogogo1 says: Apr 18, 2017 12:08 PM

Funniest part is his “clarification” doesn’t clarify a thing. He never said he cared where Raider fans were from–what he said is if you’re upset with the move you aren’t really a Raiders fan.

135. lurkerkerker says: Apr 18, 2017 12:08 PM

You just poured salt in the wounds of the NFL’s stabbiest fans, Mr Carr. If you need a lesson in how to make a classy futile appeal to spurned fans, you should read Philip Rivers’ comments to San Diegans.

136. montrealraider says: Apr 18, 2017 12:09 PM

Im a big fan and supporter of him, but he really should say as little as possible from here on out about this. Its like walking on a tight rope every time.

He’s his own worst enemy because he’s so engaging and outspoken with the media and fans, when in this case he would be better off saying nothing. His twitter post the first day was perfect, he should really refer any question to that.

137. lurkerkerker says: Apr 18, 2017 12:10 PM

My previous comment was awkwardly worded, but you mean what I know…

138. lbmont says: Apr 18, 2017 12:11 PM

Cry baby Oakland fans. Take your butthurt to Santa Clara. It’s the Raiders, not the Oaklands!

139. aldog83 says: Apr 18, 2017 12:12 PM

nothing good could have come from Derek’s Comments….

Nothing did.

Fan all over love Derek Carr….

But he missed BIG on this one.

140. kemp13 says: Apr 18, 2017 12:16 PM

radrntn says:
    Apr 18, 2017 11:45 AM
    ….everybody knows if Al was alive this would not have happened.

Are you out of your mind? I’m pretty sure Al Davis is the only pro sports owner to relocate a franchise TWICE!

141. RussianBreadMaker says: Apr 18, 2017 12:18 PM

Wow, what a crap thing of him to say. I have to say that I think he is overrated and gets way too much hype. The guy hasn’t done squat- as far was winning hardware is concerned.

142. bullcharger says: Apr 18, 2017 12:18 PM

Carr couldn’t be more wrong. Local fans have been behind the team for 15 years of terrible performance. They are real fans. If they feel betrayed and disenchanted with the team now they are moving to LV, then that’s how they feel. It’s the fault of the Raiders, NFL and the city of Oakland. Not the fans’ fault. If I was from Oakland, I wouldn’t want to cheer for the Raiders anymore either.

The other major thing wrong with what Carr said is that he is acting like he is a life long Raider fan. He’s a player. If he had a better offer from another team he would be there in a second.

143. jimmyt says: Apr 18, 2017 12:21 PM

True.

144. sactown95624 says: Apr 18, 2017 12:29 PM

Misdirected anger. You should be mad at Libby Shaff and Oakland’s city council, not Mark Davis, and certainly not Carr. That stadium absolutely needs to go, Davis worked to stay in Oakland for 3 years, and got no help from the city. Were the Raiders supposed to play in that dump for 100 years? No Surprise, a better deal came along, and you lost your team, city of Oakland.

145. bighairbingopro says: Apr 18, 2017 12:32 PM

To keep fan attendance strong, Raiders should consider: $1 Maddogs; topless Raiderettes; half time monster truck rallies; 3 day tailgating parties; and pregame midget female wrestling. That would sell big in Oakland. You’re welcome.

146. denverscott says: Apr 18, 2017 12:34 PM

Millennial of the year goes to….

147. jags2daship says: Apr 18, 2017 12:35 PM

Wow that is some BS. I feel for you raiders fans. Even though you are nasty when you visit us in Jacksonville

148. themattstapiece says: Apr 18, 2017 12:36 PM

The Raiders aren’t true Oakland fans. You’re the ones moving, not the fans.

149. pilingon57 says: Apr 18, 2017 12:41 PM

When the company man Carr takes his Christian beliefs to Sin City he will sing another tune. He said a dumb thing and no clarification will make it better.

150. curtj5 says: Apr 18, 2017 12:43 PM

Maybe he doesn’t like playing on a baseball field? Their stadium is a joke.

151. friscokid49 says: Apr 18, 2017 12:43 PM

nflviewer says:
    Apr 18, 2017 10:00 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guess you never met those Apple fan-boys.

152. unbridledsexy says: Apr 18, 2017 12:44 PM

joetoronto says:
    Apr 18, 2017 11:36 AM

You fans of regional teams don’t get it and never will.

One nation, Raider Nation.

______________________________________

Says the fan in Canada. Oakland and Vegas are only spots on a map to you, why would you care?

153. FinFan68 says: Apr 18, 2017 12:44 PM

thelongestgoodbye says:
    Apr 18, 2017 9:18 AM
    ~~~~~~~~~
    That is just as false as Carr’s statement. No doubt, many were bitter when the colts packed up to move but the people who bailed on the team were likely mostly limited to the Baltimore area and a few more probably jumped to the Ravens when they started winning. Fan bases are not just made up of local folks. Look at the teams that travel well (Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Dallas, etc.) There are way more fans of these teams than the populations of the towns they reside in. I have been a Dolphins fan for 4+ decades yet, I have never set foot in Miami. I would be mad if they moved to a different city but my odds of rooting for a different team would be pretty slim.

154. igglesfan83 says: Apr 18, 2017 12:50 PM

After the past decade or two this franchise is lucky to have any fans left. And now to move the team and then have the face of your franchise say this is ridiculous.

What a joke. Of course, the franchise for most of recent history is a joke. So why not?

155. omeimontis says: Apr 18, 2017 12:52 PM

If his wife behaves the same way as the Raiders, I wonder if he will still love her. Here is what she would have done if she was like the Raiders.

Leave him because she wants to live in a new house. Then she came back a few years later, not because she still loves him, but because she misses living in the old house that they shared. After staying with him for a few years, she leaves him again for yet another new house. Will he be mad if someone tells him he is a bad husband because he won’t love his wife anymore because she leaves again, as soon as the new house is completed?

156. faninthesouth says: Apr 18, 2017 12:53 PM

Carr’s not allowed an opinion? Davis doesn’t have the money. Oakland definitely doesn’t have the money. After over 20 years of trying to get a stadium, Davis went where the money is. To compare this relocation to Cleveland or any other situation is laughable. I’ve been a Raiders fan for 43 years. Always will be.

157. ihavenoeyedeer says: Apr 18, 2017 12:53 PM

He maybe could have worded this a little different but it isn’t his fault the team is moving.

158. omeimontis says: Apr 18, 2017 12:56 PM

No one is required to be a fan of any team. One can be a football fan and enjoy watching football, whether is it NFL, NCAA, Canadian or even high school football. If a team acts like the Raiders does, it doesn’t deserve to have any fans.

159. omeimontis says: Apr 18, 2017 12:58 PM

Carr is going to hear it from the fans in Oakland when he steps on the field this season. His loyalty is with the team, even if it were to move to Texas, Mexico or England. Fans in Oakland only like the Oakland Raiders, not the Las Vegas Traitors.

160. rkeller91 says: Apr 18, 2017 1:02 PM

Reading through the comments, it seems that people don’t understand their place. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion and shpuld feel however they want to feel, but Carr is right. You should be supportive of the players and the coaches (as long as they are good). In Green Bay, the city actually OWNS the team. If the Packers left, everybody would still want to root for Aaron Rodgers, Jordy, Cobb. You’re rooting for players to succeed, not for colors and mascots. If they left and you stopped being fans, who do you root for? Do you all really think you’re going to stop watching football? I know, in the hypothetical, I sure as hell woyldn’t root for the Bears. Eooting for the Chargers, then, Oakland?

161. ezwriter69 says: Apr 18, 2017 1:06 PM

Bet you think all your ex-girlfriends still love you, too, don’t you Derek…

162. ttoptom says: Apr 18, 2017 1:11 PM

Wow. I thought Carr was an interesting young QB. Now all I can think is “screw you” the way your team screwed their city. How many times can the Davis’ screw this town and still request loyalty with a straight face?

163. tomtravis76 says: Apr 18, 2017 1:12 PM

If your wife told you that she is now sleeping with somebody else and is planning a new life with them, but you need to still support her for the next two years because their new home isn’t ready yet, how would you feel?

164. grumpysal says: Apr 18, 2017 1:15 PM

Umm, to all of the folks saying that Oakland didn’t do anything to keep the team, I’d argue that the team had every opportunity to build their own stadium, with private money and chose not to – they had no desire to stay in Oakland. Other teams have done that and been wildly successful.

Also, I’d love to see Oakland pull what Cleveland did and threaten a lawsuit to keep the Raider name in Oakland. Will all of these people here be part of the new “Blackjack Nation” or w/e the new name of the Las Vegas team becomes? Personally, I think they should go with the Las Vegas Movers, since they’re the only pro team to relocate 3 times and seem to have it down pat.

165. sariff420 says: Apr 18, 2017 1:15 PM

Blind allegiance to a business seems silly

166. tomtravis76 says: Apr 18, 2017 1:18 PM

Rkeller91,
    That’s your xbox and fantasy football view of football. People cheer and root for the name on the front of the jersey. Players come and go from a city or team. Fans root for their team. If your team leaves to play in another city,you don’t root for them.

167. swadehoo says: Apr 18, 2017 1:19 PM

Not the smartest comment, but people make mistakes when microphones are in their faces. All in all, he’s not completely wrong, just probably shouldn’t have said it.

As a Raider fan, I wish they had stayed in Oakland; but after following them for 40 years, they could move to Beirut and I would still be a fan. That being said, if people choose to stop being fans, so be it. Win games and it won’t matter in the long run.

168. Frazier28/7 says: Apr 18, 2017 1:19 PM

Not a chance in Hell I would’ve followed the Vikings had they moved.

probably Chiefs or Bears after 4-5 years, maybe.
    screw green bay and screw Norm Green for moving the NORTH Stars.

169. youdrivemenutseagles says: Apr 18, 2017 1:26 PM

I like you Derek, but that’s not fair. Let them grieve in their own way.

170. nbcwantsitsmoneyback says: Apr 18, 2017 1:35 PM

I think Carr is spot on. I’m a Raider fan, not an Oakland Raider fan. I’ve followed them from Oakland, LA, Oakland and now Las Vegas. If they go to San Antonio after Vegas, I will support them there as well.
    BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT A TRUE FAN IS…!

Everyone who is saying they won’t support them because they are not in Oakland are not Raider fans, They are Oakland fans. So don’t get it twisted.!

Most of the comments here are from people who are not true fans of whoever there team is!

171. thermalito says: Apr 18, 2017 1:36 PM

Yes, be sure and remain loyal NFL fans. Who cares if the NFL shakes down your local communities for tax dollars to build their facilities, bails to the next city as soon as a better offer comes along, spits on the American flag insulting veterans and police officers, league infested with drunk drivers, wife beaters and the occasional murderer. You remain loyal to them while they have no loyalty to you whatsoever. This is what you signed up for remember?

The NFL deserves to be boycotted more than any business ever. The day America finally tunes out and moves on with this garbage will be a good day for us all

172. RE LEE says: Apr 18, 2017 1:41 PM

I’m Patriots fan, but I really feel bad for the Raiders fans. They are very passionate about their team. I live in a different state but I see many vehicles with their Raiders stickers etc and people proudly wearing their team shirts. I like the crazy fans in the stadium too. I, too, wished that the team could just stay put where it belongs. But business is business. The fans are heartbroken but I think they will still be Raiders fans in their hearts. Well, I have always liked Carr and the Raiders although I’m a Patriots fan. Some things transcend barriers. Las Vegas, Oakland… What are names and a few hundred miles to a true fan?

173. rufustfireflyjr says: Apr 18, 2017 2:08 PM

Why should the fans show more loyalty to the Raiders than the Raiders have shown toward them?

174. harveyredman says: Apr 18, 2017 2:13 PM

sariff420 says:
    Apr 18, 2017 1:15 PM
    Blind allegiance to a business seems silly
    _________________________________
    I agree and I will add we can expand that blind allegiance to a political party is silly too 🙂

(and that goes for BOTH political parties)

175. bullcharger says: Apr 18, 2017 2:21 PM

RE LEE says:
    Apr 18, 2017 1:41 PM

———-

It is possible for a team and a league to screw something up badly enough to lose fans. Even Fireman Ed stopped going to Jets games.

176. sdcharger123 says: Apr 18, 2017 2:37 PM

It’s so frustrating to see how tone-deaf players, some fans, and owners are to the effects of relocation on a community.

177. decapitateme says: Apr 18, 2017 2:58 PM

Raiders will be packing up their tarps and looking for a new home in Mexico City by 2030. Free burritos appreciated.

178. 1nationraidernation says: Apr 18, 2017 3:03 PM

kemp13 says:
    Apr 18, 2017 12:16 PM
    radrntn says:
    Apr 18, 2017 11:45 AM
    ….everybody knows if Al was alive this would not have happened.

– – – – – — – – – – – – – – –

Do you really think Al would have let two teams move to a market that he felt he already paid for the rights to, and then be pushed aside by the other owners the way they did to little Markie boy…..Do you think Al would go to a “smaller market” —–The Al you know is not the same one I knew..Al would have already sues the NFL by now.

179. patriots123456 says: Apr 18, 2017 3:07 PM

My guess is the fans are going to BOO the Raiders like crazy this year.

Carr should have kept his mouth shut…

There will be too many distractions this year, shame because they have a good young team…

180. CallingYouOut says: Apr 18, 2017 3:10 PM

They have left you twice now. Show some self respect and find a new team or find a new fall hobby.

They don’t deserve you.

181. sgordon909usdm419 says: Apr 18, 2017 3:23 PM

Oakland “city fans” are all in on their Politician’s lies about “doing all she can to keep them” too though. You go ahead and believe Libby “tried”, just like Qwan “tried”….joke’s on you. There’s a reason the Warriors are moving across the Bay as well.

182. rcali says: Apr 18, 2017 3:29 PM

It’s Derek’s world folks, we’re just all living in it.

183. drunkraider says: Apr 18, 2017 3:37 PM

Oh the trolls are loving this one!

but he is correct.

184. nhpats says: Apr 18, 2017 3:39 PM

Derek…..get back to us when you actually win something substantial…..like a single playoff game…. Until then you are merely Andy Dalton-lite

185. omeimontis says: Apr 18, 2017 3:56 PM

The Vegas Raiders got what they deserve, someone who will make even more former Raiders fans unhappy by making stupid comments like the one Carr made. I think he is a numbskull, and that is why he also makes so many mental mistakes on the field as a QB.

186. patsfan1820 says: Apr 18, 2017 4:00 PM

Wow what a low blow to Oakland Raiders fans. Jesus.

187. raiddawgz says: Apr 18, 2017 4:03 PM

I hope my Raiders really play elsewhere during this transition. Dont want to see my Raiders team play in that dump stadium in Oaktown anyways…Good riddance!

188. StevenKeys says: Apr 18, 2017 4:08 PM

Memo
    Date: 4.18.17
    To: Derek Carr
    From: Office of Mark Davis

Dear Derek,

Thank you for your support of our decision (I still can’t believe we pulled it off!) to relocate to the gambling capital of the Milky Way galaxy, Las Vegas, Nevada. You’re a “true” company man in that centuries long spirit of pirating and privateering purely for profit.

But please be advised, a team leader must learn when and when NOT to speak of volatile issues (relocation), i.e., learn to keep his pie-hole “shuttie.”

Sincerely,
    Mark
    Roll, baby, roll!
    Satire
    — — —

April, 2017

To the City of Oakland:

Not only do you not own the Raiders, soon to be known as the Las Vegas Raiders, your fans of said football franchise don’t even own their feelings appurtenant to that club.

See you at the season opener!

Sincerely,
    Derek Carr
    Roll, baby, roll!
    Satire
    — — —

Davis takes his football (Raiders) and runs, again (LA), to another new neighborhood (LV), then the mouthpiece on his banana-seat bike (Carr) starts to babble about loyalty. Nobody ever liked those kinda’ kids, the babblers, or the ball-hogs.

189. ghost072 says: Apr 18, 2017 4:22 PM

He’s right. I’ve been a fan for 40+ years, and I’ve traveled to every game I’ve ever been to, because I never lived in Oakland or Los Angeles. I’m a fan of the team, not the city, and fans that were lucky enough to live in the city to see them every season should be thankful and understand that their city let them down. Had Oakland city leaders made a real effort to work with the team, they wouldn’t be leaving. So vote the bums out before you lose the A’s, too.

190. r8rsfan says: Apr 18, 2017 4:22 PM

Wow you come off as a tool in that video Mike. Assumptions and clear bias against one of the most popular teams in all of sports is a bad look.

191. luvbrothel says: Apr 18, 2017 4:22 PM

Wow, what a dumbass. Football is a revenue generating business for the host city. Oakland will suffer (even more) and Carr’s only concern is losing superficial admiration. Get bent.

192. jjfootball says: Apr 18, 2017 4:31 PM

MY WORDS EXACTLY DEREK!

193. jjfootball says: Apr 18, 2017 4:36 PM

REAL RAIDER FANS DON’T DITCH THEIR TEAM FOR ANYTHING OR ANYONE! IF YOUR NOT A RAIDER FAN NOW YOU NEVER WERE, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

194. tindeaux says: Apr 18, 2017 4:38 PM

no carr. for me, I used to be a san diego charger fan. now the chargers moved, why the f# do I care about the chargers? when they were here, I rooted for them so the city could win and have something to cherish on. now if the chargers win a sb (not that they will ever win one) as an LA team, I can careless.
    fan or no fan, I don’t really care. I root for the city I live in, period.

195. jjfootball says: Apr 18, 2017 4:39 PM

Out of all the games i went to in Oakland, i never had anybody sitting next to me, or in my area, that was from Oakland, most of us come from the surrounding cities anyway!

196. darkgoody says: Apr 18, 2017 4:42 PM

The Town is bigger than this team. Have fun in Vegas playing with no home field advantage. Don’t let the door hit you in the butt on your way out.

197. markdavisbarber says: Apr 18, 2017 4:42 PM

The move sucks!!! I really do feel for the Raiders fans of Oakland. They should stay but they are the Raiders to me…no matter where they play.

But it was apparent when the Raiders moved back to Oakland that the city was NOT going to do anything for the Raiders. I’m sure Al talked to the league about this possible move (to Vegas) shortly after the move back to Oakland. Doubt what I say? Then tell me who bought the domain name Las Vegas Raiders way back in 1998. You’ll be surprised.

I have been a Raiders fan since the 80’s and I have never been to a home game, and the thought never crossed my mind honestly; but I will travel to watch them whenever and wherever I can…and that will include Vegas. It would be a perfect weekend if the hockey team that I cheer for…the Ottawa Senators…are playing the same weekend as the Raiders are at home. I’ve never lived in Ottawa; I’m not even from the area.

ONE NATION

198. proudblack says: Apr 18, 2017 8:09 PM

If and when the time comes where the Raiders organization doesn’t want to pay Carr whatever he’s asking for, we’ll see who the real fan is then.

199. 1nationraidernation says: Apr 18, 2017 8:25 PM

markdavisbarber says:
    Apr 18, 2017 4:42 PM

– – – – – – – – – – –
    Oakland was not going to do anything? What kool aid do you drink? The taxpayers are still paying back the $200 million the raiders got in 1995 to build Mt Davis….Also just an fyi Las Vegas Raiders was trademarked in 2016- Trademarks and domains are two different things. Anybody can get a domain for like ten bucks on go daddy- trademarks are by the US Gov’t.

200. aj66shanghai says: Apr 19, 2017 6:16 AM

These “raider nation is global” idiots don’t get it and never will.

When your team is doing well, the whole city is electric. It is about a lot more than watching a game on tv. Law firms and other normally conservative business let their workers wear team gear on Fridays, food and booze specials abound, parties, camaraderie, friendliness and forgiveness…not to mention the big parade when your team wins the big one.

If you are a fan of a distant team, sure you can watch the games and wear your little fanboy jersey, but you’re alone in doing it. #sad

201. bigblue431 says: Apr 19, 2017 2:49 PM

It’s all about the money.

Carr’s comment is insulting to Oakland. Ironically he claims folks won’t be loyal by not remaining raiders fans – Raiders owner shows no such loyalty to Oakland as he sells himself to the highest bidder.

Raiders are leaving to cash in on a new stadium in LV. Greed is name of the game, no more. Why should Oakland fans root for some team located hundreds of miles away?

Hope the Raiders flounder again in a city that won’t care about them – kind of like LA.

202. davemishsr says: Apr 19, 2017 3:32 PM

The old AFL put teams in working-class areas that did not have a NFL franchise. These teams were built upon a fan base that was being snubbed by the NFL. The Raiders were a perfect example of this. Now, teams are snubbing their fan base by effectively playing for the highest bidder.

203. ravenswinsuperbowl47 says: Apr 19, 2017 8:21 PM

audient says:
    Apr 18, 2017 9:30 AM

=================================

Historical revisionism. Just like big media’s fake news.

Baltimore fans wanted absolutely nothing to do with the Browns name. Long after the Cleveland lawsuit was settled, Modell tested the water with “Browns” for a couple months, discovered the Baltimore fans’ revulsion to that name, and agreed to a name-the-team contest in the Baltimore Sun between Ravens, Americans, and Marauders.

btw: WTF is a “Brown”, anyway?

204. aredsoxfan1 says: Apr 20, 2017 1:51 PM

I like Derek Carr. It’s too bad that he is so out of touch with reality. If I were a former Raiders fan, I would despise the team and never support them. I think anyone who goes to their games the last couple of years in Oakland is a schmuck.

205. whathaveyou55 says: Apr 20, 2017 11:36 PM

grumpysal says:
    Apr 18, 2017 1:15 PM

——————————–
    Rochester Royals/Cincinnati Royals/Kansas City Kings/Sacramento Kings

Cleveland Rams/Los Angeles Rams/St. Louis Rams/Los Angeles Rams

206. jdubkc says: Apr 21, 2017 4:14 PM

He may be incredibly ignorant, but he is still the smartest guy on the team.

207. pasote says: Apr 21, 2017 6:49 PM

I’m late to the punch here but I agree with Derek. If you’re a fan of a team… you’re a fan of a team, regardless of location. I was an Oilers fan and was an Oilers fan when they moved to Tennessee and now a Titans fan. Houston got another franchise in the Texans but I can’t root for the Texans just because they’re in Houston. I’m not a Houston fan. I’m a Titans fan.

Raiders fans are Raiders fan… not Oakland fans.

208. sychosam28 says: Apr 22, 2017 6:31 AM

If your from Oakland and a Raider fan you have every right to be pissed, they were using you to get a new stadium for years, when they didn’t get it so they left you twice. Carr is an ignorant jerk for saying that and should just keep his big mouth shut about it. Its sad when NFL owners use fan loyalty to get stadiums built for them when they have more than enough money to build them themselves without tax payer help. The owner do this because of greed at the fans expense, the people that live locally that buy the tickets. I don’t live in the area anymore that the team I’m a fan of play in, but I don’t want to see them move to another city. I wouldn’t be as big a fan as I am now if they did and would have little respect for them for doing so.

209. leglifter says: Apr 22, 2017 8:49 PM

Season ticket holder when they were here. Dumped tickets when they left. Season ticket holder again when they returned. Dumped my tickets when they told me they were leaving again. How does that make me bad? Mark wants to get in bed with Vegas? Hope you get VD!

210. joenash72 says: Apr 24, 2017 2:34 AM