Browns have fielded calls about No. 1 pick, aren’t looking to trade

Getty Images

The Browns appear satisfied to hold onto the No. 1 pick and draft their favorite player, presumably Myles Garrett, but if they want to trade down they have options.

That’s the word from Cleveland G.M. Sashi Brown, who told reporters today that other teams are calling the Browns but they’re satisfied with staying at No. 1.

“We have received calls,” Brown said. “We feel really good about picking at one.”

Garrett, the Texas A&M pass rusher, is by all accounts the Browns’ preferred pick. If some other team loves Garrett (or one of the top quarterbacks) enough to offer the Browns a bounty of picks, they’re not opposed to trading down. But with eight days to go, a trade doesn’t appear to be in the works.

19 responses to “Browns have fielded calls about No. 1 pick, aren’t looking to trade

1. Myles has to be praying the Browns trade down. I know I would be. And then if not, and I get picked, i’d do all I can to get cut by the Browns then show what I got for another team.

2. .
    This is one of the oddest drafts in years. All the experts agree that Garrett is the number one overall pick. Yet, no two experts can agree on 2-5. You don’t have the usual bevy of quality OTs and QBs which usually dominate the top ten. You’ve got deep depth at CB and DE which means teams may figure they can get a comparable guy in round 4, as opposed to 2. It would seem there’s plenty of sellers at the top of the draft, but very few buyers

3. It might be better for the Browns to trade the #12 pick to a bad team for a 2018 1st rd pick. That pick could turn out to be a top 5 pick if that team is Jacksonville or the LA Rams.

4. If they get Miles and Trupisky, and they now probably have the best OL in the league, i can’t see them doing worse than 8-8…. thats cause for partying in the streets in Browns Town.

5. Another site is reporting Vikes looking at Shipping Bridgewater to Browns for 12 overall, their 2nd round paick and a second next year. That would be interesting.

6. “tonybot3 says:
    Apr 19, 2017 1:32 PM
    If they get Miles and Trupisky, and they now probably have the best OL in the league, i can’t see them doing worse than 8-8…. thats cause for partying in the streets in Browns Town.”

I’m a Browns fan too. But let’s not get carried away. There are still so many holes to fill AND you’re potentially starting a rookie QB… one that only played 13 games? He might have a steep learning curve. Pray for 6-10. Be thrilled with 5-11.
    Oh.. and best OL in football? Let’s see all these guys play and get comfortable with each other first.

7. firecracker87 says:
    Apr 19, 2017 12:46 PM
    Myles has to be praying the Browns trade down. I know I would be

/////////

Didn’t know you were in this years draft. Hopefully you hold out for your favorite team

8. Riiiiight. Because teams are always 100% honest when publicly disclosing their draft stategy.

9. pftknowitall says:
    Apr 19, 2017 1:50 PM

——————————————————————–

If the Vikings are looking at this and pitched it, the Browns are looking at it and laughing. Besides the fact this goes against their front office philosophy at the moment, even they aren’t this dumb.

I think.

10. therealraider says:
    Apr 19, 2017 1:10 PM
    God knows the Browns deserve some good fortune. I hope Garrett turns out to be a stud. Those fans need something, anything positive.
    ======================================
    This Browns fan is hoping for some good fortune. Won’t be turning to any god for that though. I’m done with imaginary friends.

11. firecracker87 says:
    Apr 19, 2017 12:46 PM
    ——————-

You wouldn’t ever have to worry about that. You couldn’t even play for a pee-wee league team, let alone an NFL team.

12. pftknowitall says:
    Apr 19, 2017 1:50 PM
    —————
    Bull

He’s not worth one 2nd round pick since no one knows if or when he is coming back from that injury.