High school allegation against Joe Mixon was recanted

Getty Images

As the draft approaches, one of the most controversial prospect has a second past incident bubbling to the surface. However, the man who alleged that his daughter was struck by Joe Mixon in high school has since reversed course.

In a report read by the lawyer for the woman struck by Mixon in 2014 during her interview with police, Anthony Hernandez said, “I know for a fact he threw my daughter to the ground and hit her.” Hernandez, who made the claim originally on Facebook, thereafter recanted his claims with another Facebook post.

On March 30, 2017, Hernandez forwarded the text of the clarification to Mixon’s lawyer, Blake Johnson of Crowe & Dunlevy. On Wednesday morning, Blake Johnson forwarded the clarification to PFT.

“I have recently learned that a comment I made about Joe Mixon on social media a few years ago is now receiving a lot of attention. I want to explain that comment and clarify that I do not believe Joe ever did anything to hurt my daughter,” Hernandez wrote.

“My daughter went to Freedom High School with Joe, and they have been friends for much of their lives. Once, when they were in school together, my daughter had a minor disagreement with some of her classmates that got blown out of proportion. Like any father would, I reacted emotionally. Unfortunately, I did so before I had all the facts. Now, having talked to my daughter and investigated the whole story, I realize that I was mistaken about Joe’s involvement. I definitely overreacted, and I regret that my words might have given some people the wrong impression about Joe. I know that Joe did not hurt my daughter, did not intend to, and would not do so.

“Joe and my daughter are still good friends. Joe is a great kid with a bright future in front of him, and he is welcome in my home anytime.

“My family and I value our privacy. I hope that my statement puts this matter to rest. We will not respond to further media inquiries about this.”

Blake Johnson also told PFT that he “spoke to multiple administrative officials at Freedom High School who assured me that no such incident ever took place there,” and that Mixon’s disciplinary record from high school reveals no such incident.

“Norman Police also ran Joe’s juvenile record with law enforcement in California and they had no record of any such report or incident (or any other criminal incident on part of Joe),” Johnson said via email. “I’m fairly confident that the incident described in Mr. Hernandez’s original [Facebook] post did not happen.”

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
30 Responses to “High school allegation against Joe Mixon was recanted”
  1. Bizzareslantpass says: Apr 19, 2017 12:16 PM

$ure….

2. joetoronto says: Apr 19, 2017 12:45 PM

You lost me at “Joe is a great kid”

3. dcpatfan says: Apr 19, 2017 12:51 PM

I’m sure all the trumpkins that had so much to say 3 articles ago will recant also……

ill wait n see.
    #hypos

4. drakost says: Apr 19, 2017 12:59 PM

I believe him. Anyone who has a daughter will. No amount of money will make a father forgive and forget when it comes to their little girl.

5. marvsleezy says: Apr 19, 2017 12:59 PM

So this girls daddy is ok with what he did to the other girl that was caught on tape though? Pretty much thats what is implied here.

6. kevpft says: Apr 19, 2017 1:04 PM

Maybe the rush to publish should be tempered by a little additional journalistic investigation first.

7. flankerright says: Apr 19, 2017 1:11 PM

Well it would surprise me if some NFL (Patriots) played this up so that Mixon would fall lower in the first round. I put nothing past Belicheat…

8. captainronmexico says: Apr 19, 2017 1:38 PM

“Joe is a great kid”

I’m so sick of fake news

9. citizenstrange says: Apr 19, 2017 1:41 PM

” Joe is a great kid with a bright future in front of him, and he is welcome in my home anytime …. who was caught on tape clubbing a woman to the ground and then running away.”

10. pftknowitall says: Apr 19, 2017 1:45 PM

“Mr. Hernandez recanted his original post right after cashing the check from Mixon’s agent.

11. saberwolf335 says: Apr 19, 2017 1:59 PM

I applaud this man for actually being a man and admitting to his mistake. Can’t necessarily say I would blame him for getting emotional at first, any father that loves his daughter could do that. But it shows your character when you can admit to your mistakes. Also I want everyone to keep in mind I am only commenting on this incident specifically, not Mixon’s college incident

12. packrule says: Apr 19, 2017 2:02 PM

Yes there are bad folks out there but the pitchforks sure come out here fast. What ever happened to looking at your own crap first before stepping in someone else’s. They should change the post forum on here to Saint’s only.

Lots of KIDS make lots of mistakes some should be punished for a long time for theirs and some are actually forgivable.

13. ak185 says: Apr 19, 2017 2:09 PM

But, of course, let nothing get in the way of the “Mixon is an unabshed woman-beater” narrative that completely ignores the “victim” making the decisions she did to contribute to the situation…responsibility? Sheesh…go ahead, hit him ladies, you’ve got nothing to lose.

14. unclebluck says: Apr 19, 2017 2:10 PM

Money talks…..

15. dryzzt23 says: Apr 19, 2017 2:19 PM

Mixon is about to get paid, I smell some civil suits coming his way after he gets drafted.

16. whatjusthapped says: Apr 19, 2017 2:56 PM

Just curious, what’s the market rate these days for recanting a story? The real story here is where is Mixon getting the hush money?

17. cardinealsfan20 says: Apr 19, 2017 3:09 PM

Said it was a lie in comment to the original post, way before this was posted. Everyone who automatically believed the original false posf should be ashamed of themselves.

18. nflguru12 says: Apr 19, 2017 3:22 PM

Hes heading to Green Bay. Rodgers or Mixon, pick your poison.

19. cadreamer1969 says: Apr 19, 2017 3:23 PM

The media doesn’t check with the guy to see if he still feels the same or how things progressed before publishing something. Guess the media feels nothing ever changes.

20. kissbillsrings says: Apr 19, 2017 3:30 PM

I hope things go great for this young man….
    I’m so sick of the media trying to crucify this guy….
    He was wrong but so was she….

21. heymister24 says: Apr 19, 2017 3:34 PM

So the dad says the woman slugger mixon is welcome in his home anytime.

22. elyasm says: Apr 19, 2017 3:58 PM

kevpft says:
    Apr 19, 2017 1:04 PM

———————————————————
    That’s a fair criticism, but the sign on the door does say “Rumor Mill”…

23. raiddawgz says: Apr 19, 2017 4:11 PM

Im sure Joe Mixons lawyer had nothing to do with this reversal…

24. guitarmaninks says: Apr 19, 2017 4:12 PM

marvsleezy says:
    Apr 19, 2017 12:59 PM
    ———————————————————-
    NO, it is what YOU want to infer…He only spoke to what he knew and nothing else.

25. jimmyjohns01 says: Apr 19, 2017 5:24 PM

drakost says:
    Apr 19, 2017 12:59 PM

——————————————-

Sure he won’t forget but the thought off being dragged through legal suits will definitely change his mind. I’m sure Mixon’s lawyer quickly contacted Hernandez a bunch of legal threats.

26. 904primetime says: Apr 19, 2017 5:56 PM

Sounds like teams are trying to get him super cheap.

27. tonebones says: Apr 19, 2017 7:50 PM

This is a great year for RBs. I’d draft Mixon second to only Fournette. He should be a mid first round pick.

28. elitekane says: Apr 19, 2017 8:47 PM

Yeah he got paid off the kid is a scum bag just like the rest of the men that hit women.

29. kissmysandwich says: Apr 19, 2017 9:16 PM

And of course all of the judgemental reactionary folks on this board have not done one shred of investigating of this incident other than watching the video. Not excusing Mixon’s reaction, but this girl called him the “N” word, slapped him, and spit in his face. She has a record a mile long, has been kicked out of more than one fraternity, is a drug addict and an alcoholic. She coincidentally just happens to be related to some very wealthy people that donate a lot of money to Oklahoma. There are two sides to every story, and Mixon’s record is clean other than this one time losing his temper on a crazy woman. He’ll be drafted. He’ll be a stud in the league, ya’ll judgemental losers can go pout to the PC police.

30. brettfavreisapacker4ever says: Apr 19, 2017 9:19 PM

jimmyjohns01 says:
    Apr 19, 2017 5:24 PM
    ——————————————————–
    Here’s what heard about this today. NFL teams have security staffs that check out all these prospects, especially where there’s some questionable activity.
    A unnamed NFL team security staff found out about this FB post. They contacted the agent. The agent checked into it and got his lawyer involved. Like the article says, police and school authority have no record of any such incident involving Mixon. There’s a real possibility the recant is correct based on lack of any evidence nor witnesses. And NFL security is usually pretty thorough.