Mike Pouncey remembers his friend, Aaron Hernandez

AP

Aaron Hernandez was a convicted murderer, and not a sympathetic figure. But he still left friends and family behind after his prison suicide, and they’re mourning in their own ways at the moment.

One of the first to publicly acknowledge Hernandez’s death was Dolphins center Mike Pouncey, who posted an Instagram message showing a smiling Hernandez in his Patriots uniform.

“To my friend my brother!,” Pouncey wrote. “Through thick and thin right or wrong we never left each other’s side. Today my heart hurts as I got the worse news I could have imagined. It was just a day ago we shared our last convo. I will forever miss you and love you bro. we will meet again rest easy! ❤️🙏🏽.”

While a compassionate note from someone who knew Hernandez in college, it’s also likely to be one of the few supportive messages we’ll see today, as most people will try to avoid anything resembling support for a man who was spending life in prison without parole for taking the life of Odin Lloyd.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Aaron Hernandez case, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
51 Responses to “Mike Pouncey remembers his friend, Aaron Hernandez”
  1. firedog784 says: Apr 19, 2017 10:31 AM

Oh how touching.

2. jjrs89 says: Apr 19, 2017 10:32 AM

The balls on this guy lol

3. ajgreenhof says: Apr 19, 2017 10:32 AM

Pure class from the Pounceys as usual.

4. ancient-mariner says: Apr 19, 2017 10:33 AM

Typical insensitive comment from Pouncey. By far my least favourite Dolphin.

5. eramming says: Apr 19, 2017 10:34 AM

He took many lives. You get what you deserve. No sympathy from me. Happy the families got closure and justice. The world is a better place without that monster.

6. kcchefs58 says: Apr 19, 2017 10:34 AM

Mike is gonna get Pouncey’d on for those words.

7. twoteamsforlosangeles says: Apr 19, 2017 10:38 AM

Well isn’t that special?

8. kenberthiaume says: Apr 19, 2017 10:50 AM

9. markod52 says: Apr 19, 2017 10:51 AM

He put himself in exactly the place he was at. He wasted the many gifts the Creator gave him, more gifts than most get. That’s exactly who he was.

10. tedmurph says: Apr 19, 2017 12:11 PM

Flaws??? Seriously????

11. mcjon22 says: Apr 19, 2017 12:14 PM

Dude…no.

Just no.

Shut up, keep your head down, work on your hip.

12. gbrim20 says: Apr 19, 2017 12:52 PM

“He was being nice to a friend. Everyone has flaws. Ironic that he wins the case and then kills himself. Guess seeing his loved ones and having a brief taste of freedom…it’s just too much going back into a cage.”

——————————————————————

Yeah Hernandez had a few flaws. Chewed with his mouth open, said the “S” word every now and then. Forgot to open the door for a lady sometimes. Oh, and murdering friends in cold blood I guess.

13. grumpysal says: Apr 19, 2017 12:54 PM

People love to bash the Pats for having Hernandez on their team, yet they cut him within 90 minutes of him being arrested.

Pouncey was a close, personal friend of a convicted murderer who never left his side – so what does that say about him and the Dolphins?

If you’re a fan of the Phins and cheer for this scumbag you’re a hypocrite and have no grounds to stand on and throw shade at the Pats.

14. ihavenoeyedeer says: Apr 19, 2017 12:59 PM

I could be wrong but I don’t think Aaron is going to see that Instagram post.

15. link49 says: Apr 19, 2017 1:05 PM

A friendship is friendship in the good times or the real bad ones. I respect and admire a lot his decision to express out his feelings for a friend.

16. errwhatever says: Apr 19, 2017 1:13 PM

There’s flaws..like being insensitive to others feelings, or not be good with money, and then there are bigger flaws like having a drinking problem or inability to be truthful. Then there is murder. Not sure that really counts so much as a flaw.

17. canetic says: Apr 19, 2017 1:13 PM

Why didn’t post a picture of him in his Gator uniform since they were buddies there?

18. sbchampsagain says: Apr 19, 2017 1:14 PM

“You are the company you keep.”
    Pouncy was friends with a murderer.

19. dirtysouthironmen says: Apr 19, 2017 1:23 PM

Over/Under when Pouncey is locked up for some type of assault?

20. eagleslayer says: Apr 19, 2017 1:28 PM

He’s standing by his friend, he’s not saying Hernandez isn’t guilty.

It’s called being a decent human being.

21. IrishTommyCallahan says: Apr 19, 2017 1:31 PM

Brings a tear to my eye..

22. Rolo Tomassi says: Apr 19, 2017 1:33 PM

What if Aron Hernandez didn’t kill Loyd?

23. scabbyeggs says: Apr 19, 2017 1:39 PM

Has everyone been chugging through this life differently than me? He did terrible things. Not a sympathetic figure. But there’s no such thing as black and white. Everything rests on a scale of grey. To think a bad man never made a positive impact on anything ever is to misunderstand humanity as a whole.

24. 250dollarnflowner says: Apr 19, 2017 1:41 PM

“we will meet again, rest easy”. Is pouncy planning on going to hell too?

25. tommyribs says: Apr 19, 2017 1:44 PM

Wrong on Every Level Mike.

Hernandez was a sociopath and a murderer who betrayed his own friends and either killed, or tried to kill them.

Very alarming.

26. ggreen657 says: Apr 19, 2017 1:50 PM

He better hope they don’t meet again because if so it won’t be in a good place.

27. theandy59 says: Apr 19, 2017 2:08 PM

Odin Lloyd was a friend too.

28. skittlesareyum says: Apr 19, 2017 2:08 PM

grumpysal says:
    Apr 19, 2017 12:54 PM

———————

I’d love the citation on this one. Aside from about two trolls on this site (that average thumbs up/down of 3/55), I’ve never read anyone bashing the Pats.

Take your persecution complex somewhere else.

29. bluenose1965 says: Apr 19, 2017 2:13 PM

“We will meet again….”

What’s Pouncey done to deserve to burn in hell?

30. fishyinalittledishy says: Apr 19, 2017 2:43 PM

We will meet again, Really ! How’s that I don’t understand, am I missing something here ? How do you meet a dead person again ? Can somebody explain please.

31. clayjtitan66 says: Apr 19, 2017 3:01 PM

Afterlife, lol.
    Why are athletes so over religious?

32. nathanp2013 says: Apr 19, 2017 3:05 PM

“Through right and wrong we were always by each other’s side”.

So, Aaron was guilty of murdering someone, guilty of shooting another friend in the face and probably guilty of at least a couple more murders… if those are “right or wrong” how many shootings did Pouncey stand side by side with Aaron?

33. manderson4150 says: Apr 19, 2017 3:05 PM

How about the victim, Mr Pouncey…..converse with your bro about him…..

34. nathanp2013 says: Apr 19, 2017 3:09 PM

grumpysal says:
    —————
    Yet, the Patriots picked up Donte Stallworth after he murdered someone… the Patriots had 2 convicted murderers on their payroll in 2012.

Oh, and Hernandez was a terrible person for the years leading up to their arrest… the Pats don’t get credit for cutting a guy that was obviously guilty of murder after he was arrested for murder!

Do you think Brady and Belichek are going to be pall bearers?

35. nathanp2013 says: Apr 19, 2017 3:10 PM

fishyinalittledishy says
    —————————-
    They will meet again in hell.

36. JaminJake says: Apr 19, 2017 3:25 PM

We remember the incident with AH, you, your brother, Reggie Nelson, how the Florida boosters hired a top tier lawyer to get someone with severe issues off the hook, and how Urban claimed AH was a changed man because he prayed with him daily.

37. cowboysfaninpa says: Apr 19, 2017 3:27 PM

eramming says:
    Apr 19, 2017 10:34 AM

Closure? Didn’t you see Hernandez goes to his grave as an innocent man!?

38. tomtravis76 says: Apr 19, 2017 3:37 PM

Hernandez was found out to be a terrible human. He destroyed lives of many. No tears are shed for a murderer. But his family and friends will choose to remember the person they thought they knew and you can’t fault them for that.

39. raidernation707 says: Apr 19, 2017 3:44 PM

Hernandez got murdered by someone in that prison, and they set it up to look like a suicide death happens all the time in prison. I’m thinking he said something in trial that his “gang took offense to” aka dropped a dime.

40. destructicus says: Apr 19, 2017 4:02 PM

I try to be empathetic.

What if my close friend or family member were convicted of murder? Would I turn my back on them for their mistake or would I try to be a positive force in their life, and help them find redemption?

The people I love aren’t all perfect. Some have hurt others, including other people I love. I have hurt some of them, and vice versa.

While murder is clearly an extreme end of the scale I can’t criticize Mike Pouncey for having love for friend who went down one of the darkest paths possible.

I don’t love everything about my closest friends, in fact I don’t like aspects of some. But I’d like to think I would never turn my back on friends.

Everybody deserves love, and kudos to those willing to give it to monsters.

41. guitarkevin says: Apr 19, 2017 4:10 PM

Oh boy….

42. nwhmpshr says: Apr 19, 2017 4:36 PM

Suspicious death. He had no reason to commit suicide. He beat the rap on the double murder and had a chance at beating the first rap because of that. I think the corrupt Mass. correction/court/law enforcement system made sure he wasn’t going to walk.

43. ramsfandango says: Apr 19, 2017 4:41 PM

“Happy the families got closure and justice.”

Actually they didn’t get closure. Under MA law, Hernandez died an innocent man because his original murder conviction was still under appeal. Perhaps his ‘innocence’ will allow an insurance payout for his family, but not for Lloyd’s family.

44. dvh1100 says: Apr 19, 2017 4:53 PM

I don’t ever remember seeing Pouncey by Aaron’s side during any of the trials.

45. norsehorse88 says: Apr 20, 2017 12:57 AM

What a small minded Neanderthal. Oh Aaron, I value our friendship over the life of someone you murdered.
    Til we meet again-your BFF, Pouncy

46. jimdolfan says: Apr 20, 2017 1:29 AM

Rolo Tomassi says:
    Apr 19, 2017 1:33 PM

What if Aron Hernandez didn’t kill Loyd?

*********************************************

Q: What if a frog had wings?
    A: It wouldn’t bump it’s ass when it hopped.

47. RegisHawk says: Apr 20, 2017 11:13 AM

He may not have been by his side then, but who knows how many drive-bys he was in on…not counting the “Free Aaron Hernanedez” hats he and his brother were sporting a while back.

48. finfansince68 says: Apr 20, 2017 11:17 AM

I understand being a friend & showing support – BUT it’s not like Mike is squeaky clean either – just ask UF Campus Police or Gainesville P.D.

49. cvgibbs says: Apr 20, 2017 3:16 PM

can we please draft another center, i’m sick of this guy

50. chargers308 says: Apr 20, 2017 6:31 PM

Ahhh well isn’t that cute! But it’s wrong!!!!!!

51. concretejimmy52 says: Apr 21, 2017 8:57 PM

What if Aron Hernandez didn’t kill Loyd?
    If worms had machine guns, birds wouldn’t stand a chance.