Patrick Mahomes thinks he’s building a rapport with Bill O’Brien

Getty Images

The Texans will of course not say publicly who they hope to take in the first round of the NFL draft, but there have been reports that they’re high on Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes. And Mahomes himself thinks those reports are accurate.

Mahomes says that he and Texans coach Bill O’Brien have been getting to know each other during the pre-draft process, and he thinks they’re developing a good rapport.

“I feel like a lot of coaches like me, but especially coach O’Brien. I think my personality and how real I am, those are things beyond what I can do on the field that he likes,” Mahomes said, via NFL.com. “It seemed like the way I was answering questions, I think he knew that I knew what was going on. You can tell when coaches have a confidence in you.”

The Texans own the 25th pick in the first round of the draft, and if Mahomes is still on the board, we’ll find out then just how much O’Brien likes him.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Patrick Mahomes thinks he’s building a rapport with Bill O’Brien”
  1. MostlyRight says: Apr 19, 2017 5:45 PM

He’d be a good fit with OBrien, a great fit with Arians in AZ. He better pray Cleveland doesn’t like him.

2. lscratchingthesurface says: Apr 19, 2017 5:52 PM

If he is around at 27 he will be needing to build a rapport with Andy Reid.

3. dwoofer says: Apr 19, 2017 6:24 PM

He better stop saying whom he has a rapport with: NFL coaches don’t like to tip their hand before draft day. And, oh yeah, major egg on face if Houston doesn’t draft you

4. saveusterrelldavis says: Apr 19, 2017 6:54 PM

I’m imagining Patrick Mahones posing under various parts of a bus while Bill o’brien shouts directions like a photographer

5. finnymcphin says: Apr 19, 2017 7:26 PM

FWIW Hoyer had a pretty good rapport with him too.

6. donbat67 says: Apr 19, 2017 7:34 PM

This poor kid seems gullible , hopefully O’Briens replacement likes him too .

7. eljefedelmundo says: Apr 19, 2017 7:38 PM

I read it as “building a rappaport”

My bad

8. tonebones says: Apr 19, 2017 7:48 PM

Mahomes is the top player in the draft. He should be long gone by the 25th pick. But, just like Dak Prescott, sometimes the best player in the draft is hard for NFL evaluators to locate.

9. harrisonhits2 says: Apr 19, 2017 7:53 PM

“This poor kid seems gullible , hopefully O’Briens replacement likes him too .”

I doubt he’s going anywhere soon. Three winning seasons and a playoff win last year with Osweiler shoved down his throat against his will much of the season.

A good percentage of the other head coaches out there have done far worse. O’Brien is a good coach who I think will grow into being a great one.

10. idiedpretty says: Apr 19, 2017 8:11 PM

Shocking. I thought the Texans would just fax him a big, juicy contract, no face to face, like they did with Brock? What’s going on man? Did Houston get a new GM?

11. maddenisfordorks says: Apr 19, 2017 8:28 PM

I’ve watched this kid play at TTU.

Don’t think he will transition well to NFL. Smaller windows. Faster defense.

… Bill Obrien’s chin.

12. aliveguy24 says: Apr 19, 2017 8:56 PM

If I were him I’d shut my mouth.

13. Mayor Larry Vaughn says: Apr 19, 2017 10:48 PM

Osweiler had a good rapport with Bill too

14. manipuraram says: Apr 20, 2017 12:15 AM

Guy is gonna be a TOTAL BUST. Not intelligent. Sounds like Kermit the frog when he speaks. Nothing special but a big arm. Lots of guys with big arms never amount to anything in the NFL. The NFL is all about being smart, u detstsning what you are seeing and Making quick decisions. He’s next.

15. larondontlikeugly says: Apr 20, 2017 6:52 AM

There’s nothing more REAL than talking about how REAL you are!

16. truesteelblue says: Apr 20, 2017 10:13 AM

Media trying to sabotage the Texans draft day plans. Just because he said it doesn’t mean you have to post it. SMH

17. alonestartexan says: Apr 20, 2017 10:23 AM

Bob McNair has shown a LOT (too much) of patience with his GM’s and Coaches throughout the years. Capers/Casserly had 5 years together to build an expansion team, the Jags/Panthers set the mark for having exactly 1 season before playoff runs, but the expansion Texans were dreadful.

Kubiak came in and posted 5 years of blah with Rick Smith before posting back to back playoff appearances. His final season in Houston (when Schaub fell apart and the team went 2-14) was his 8th year with only 2 wild card wins on his resume.

I mean, the team is 15 years old and has only had 3 coaches thus far. That would lead me to believe that O’Brien has at least 2 more years.