John Dorsey: I see that speed and twitch back in C.J. Spiller

Getty Images

The Chiefs parted ways with a longtime member of their backfield this offseason when they released Jamaal Charles and they also took a shot on a reclamation project when they signed C.J. Spiller as a street free agent.

With Spencer Ware and Charcandrick West already on hand in Kansas City, it didn’t appear that the team saw Spiller as more than a flier on a player who was well removed from his best days as an NFL back. During a Friday press conference, Chiefs General Manager John Dorsey suggested that there might be some wings to the move.

Dorsey said, via Terez Paylor of the Kansas City Star, that Spiller has “that speed and twitch back” from earlier in his career. It has been a long time since Spiller has shown either of those things in any great supply — he’s played for four teams and run for 420 yards in the last three seasons — but injuries have played a role in his lackluster results.

There’s a pretty good chance that this will be forgotten as the optimistic musings of April by the time training camp rolls around, but the Chiefs would be more than happy if it plays out the other way.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “John Dorsey: I see that speed and twitch back in C.J. Spiller”
  1. billsbackto81 says: Apr 21, 2017 1:51 PM

Wish him the best moving forward. When healthy he was a fun RB to watch. A homerun waiting to happen in the right scheme.

2. i, flounder says: Apr 21, 2017 2:10 PM

i hope it works out.

3. randy8123 says: Apr 21, 2017 2:27 PM

I see that too. It’s actually a really great youtube video titled “CJ Spiller 2012 Highlights.” But if you’re really looking for an explosive back I suggest “Barry Sanders 1988 OSU – FULL HIGHLIGHTS.” Guy looks promising, John.

4. whatjusthapped says: Apr 21, 2017 2:49 PM

He looks great till the first time he gets hit, then he’s back to a China Doll sitting on the bench.

5. kcflake says: Apr 21, 2017 2:49 PM

Priest Holmes had some highlight reel games for the Chiefs back in the day.

6. yourmadre says: Apr 21, 2017 3:02 PM

Spiller has been one of the most baffling RBs over the last few years IMO. Even during his best years in Buffalo, I always felt that he was being under-utilized and I completely expected him to break out when he went to another team, instead he fell off the face of the earth. Every time he got cut and signed by someone else I was convinced that he was going to mount a comeback. I’m still pulling for him, but at this point I think he’s done.

7. vicnocal says: Apr 21, 2017 3:11 PM

Spiller always plays well when given the chance. I dont get why teams have been bouncing him around.

8. winningisabrees says: Apr 21, 2017 3:22 PM

Dude is a shell of his past self. I must say the guy was so impressive that teams still sign him. If you cant thrive in the Saints Offense, you done my man.

9. kcflake says: Apr 21, 2017 3:55 PM

I think Spiller is in the perfect situation to rebound and rebuild his career.

10. randomjoeblow says: Apr 23, 2017 1:49 AM

Chiefs also have Tyreek Hill they use mostly at RB..and DeAnthony Thomas to boot..

11. controlaltdeletedeletedelete says: Apr 23, 2017 11:05 AM

Speed and twitch are not the problem, he’s just bad at football and hates contact.

1. Never follows his blockers
    2. Can’t/Won’t pass protect
    3. Always runs out of bounds to avoid getting hit, even if it means being a yard shy of a first down, or not running out the clock at the end of a half

Somehow four teams and some of the best coaching minds in the game “aren’t using him right.”

I got a bag of leftover Peeps that says he’ll be looking for number six this winter.

12. tonebones says: Apr 25, 2017 7:19 AM

If the Chiefs are planning to draft a RB early in the draft, the best way to throw off the other 31 teams is to pretend like you just found the RB you were looking for. Nice try Dorsey, but I don’t think anyone’s buying it.