Sidney Jones: Achilles tear is just a minor bump in the road

Getty Images

University of Washington cornerback Sidney Jones was viewed as a first-round draft pick before suffering a torn Achilles tendon at the school’s Pro Day. That injury tanked his draft stock, but he’s not wasting time feeling sorry for himself.

Jones said on PFT Live that he’s committed to recovering from his injury and reaching a point where no one even remembers he was the guy who got hurt while working out for NFL teams.

“That was a big turning point in my time in this draft process,” Jones said. “It’s very unfortunate but you can’t do anything about it at this point. Just get the surgery, do the rehab and move forward. I should be back to normal in no time. It’s just a minor bump in the road that I have to overcome and I will overcome. It’s been kind of tough, a little bit, but there’s nothing God puts you through that you can’t handle. That’s been my mentality so far.”

Jones acknowledged that he expects his draft stock to drop and that he’ll therefore make less money on his rookie contract. But he’s looking on the bright side.

“I’m going to be in the NFL, which is my dream,” he said. “My dream is still going to come true, I’m still going to be able to play ball, do what I love.”

Jones said he expects to be running by June and able to play as soon as September, and the teams he has talked to are expecting him to play as a rookie. The draft process hasn’t gone the way Jones hoped, but that doesn’t mean Jones’ rookie season won’t be a good one.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Sidney Jones: Achilles tear is just a minor bump in the road”
  1. erbsdad says: Apr 21, 2017 8:40 AM

Second round steal? Or Ryan Broyles? I’m willing to gamble with Detroit’s 2nd rounder.

2. eaglesw00t says: Apr 21, 2017 8:45 AM

I pray he is there at pick 14 in the second. I would still draft him in a heartbeat.

Jason Peters tore his Achilles…and at 340lbs, he was still ready to go in 4-6 months.

3. saints737 says: Apr 21, 2017 8:52 AM

God Speed

4. kissbillsrings says: Apr 21, 2017 8:58 AM

Any team that drafts him would be FOOLISH to think he can play that soon…..this will be a redshirt year for him most likely…. Best case is he is on IR for the first 6-8 weeks then MAYBE gets activated , but after missing all the workouts & whatnot he probably won’t be in any true game shape form….

5. groleo45 says: Apr 21, 2017 9:29 AM

I’m not sure the Jason Peters comparison is correct…this is a guy whose position relies to a very high degree on explosiveness. I wouldn’t be feeling good spending anything higher than a 4 on a corner with a bad Achilles.

6. eaglesw00t says: Apr 21, 2017 9:36 AM

groleo45 says:
    Apr 21, 2017 9:29 AM

————–

The only comparison is that he healed. If you don’t think a 340lb LT needs any explosion, youre dead wrong.

I wouldn’t count on him playing this season, but he would definitely be able to contribute or learn by week 8.

First round talent. Undoubtedly. And if you think he will be there in the 4th, youre also wrong. Ill bet my house on it.

7. edon8334 says: Apr 21, 2017 9:43 AM

redskins get this guy

8. jmac1013 says: Apr 21, 2017 9:55 AM

I heard this guy will never be able to play again. *wink*

Signed,
    Eagles Fan

9. burnzy32 says: Apr 21, 2017 10:53 AM

I agree on the Jason Peters comparison being incorrect, being a tackle, and the breaking on the ball that occurs as a corner, it’s apples and oranges, he may very well slide into the 3rd or 4th round.
    On an out and up you stop and break 3 or 4 times. Achilles injury takes away your push off, he won’t play this year at all.