I’m not a big fan of mock drafts, for a variety of reasons. First, everyone has one — and most have enough versions that, statistically, one of them is destined to seem prescient. Second, it makes no sense to project the picks before free agency, when some needs are addressed and other needs may arise. Third, every mock draft is immediately dubbed the “worst mock draft ever” regardless of how it’s configured.
With all that said, we now do one per year. I get the bulk of the input directly from folks who make their living evaluating players, and I only make a handful of revisions.
We’ve projected only one trade, but for the most part that’s even more of a crapshoot than picking players. (I’ll be watching to see whether the Bengals trade down and still get their projected pick, whether the Titans trade the No. 18 pick to the Seahawks for Richard Sherman, whether any of the teams with aging franchise quarterbacks move up to get a rookie at the position, and whether the Saints eventually send the No. 32 pick back to the Patriots for cornerback Malcolm Butler.)
So here it is. Dismiss it, demean it, disregarded it. It doesn’t matter to me; I can now check the box and move back to real news instead of fake draft boards.
1. Browns: Myles Garrett, defensive end, Texas A&M.
2. 49ers: Solomon Thomas, defensive end, Stanford.
3. Bears: Jamal Adams, safety, LSU.
4. Jaguars: Leonard Fournette, running back, LSU.
5. Titans (from Rams): Jonathan Allen, defensive lineman, Alabama.
6. Browns (projected trade from Jets): Mitchell Trubisky, quarterback, North Carolina.
7. Chargers: O.J. Howard, tight end, Alabama.
8. Panthers: Christian McCaffrey, running back, Stanford.
9. Bengals: Reuben Foster, linebacker, Alabama.
10. Bills: Marshon Lattimore, cornerback, Ohio State.
11. Saints: Haason Reddick, linebacker, Temple.
12. Jets (projected trade with Browns via Eagles): Marlon Humphrey, cornerback, Alabama.
13. Cardinals: Deshaun Watson, quarterback, Clemson.
14. Eagles (from Vikings): Derek Barnett, defensive end, Tennessee.
15. Colts: Charles Harris, linebacker/defensive end, Missouri.
16. Ravens: Malik Hooker, safety, Ohio State.
17. Washington: Jarrad Davis, linebacker, Florida.
18. Titans: Mike Williams, receiver, Clemson.
19. Buccaneers: Dalvin Cook, running back, Florida State.
20. Broncos: Ryan Ramczyk, tackle, Wisconsin.
21. Lions: Corey Davis, receiver, Western Michigan.
22. Dolphins: Cam Robinson, tackle, Alabama.
23. Giants: David Njoku, tight end, Miami.
24. Raiders: John Ross, receiver, Washington.
25. Texans: Patrick Mahomes, quarterback, Texas Tech.
26. Seahawks: Garrett Bolles, tackle, Utah
27. Chiefs: Davis Webb, quarterback, Cal.
28. Cowboys: Takkarist McKinley, linebacker, UCLA.
29. Packers: Tim Williams, linebacker, Alabama.
30. Steelers: Jabrill Peppers, safety, Michigan.
31. Falcons: Taco Charlton, defensive end, Michigan.
32. Saints: Adoree Jackson, cornerback, USC.