Chad Kelly says NFL teams know he’s moved past “dumb mistakes”

Getty Images

Ole Miss quarterback Chad Kelly wasn’t at the Scouting Combine as a result of the NFL’s new policy banning players who have been involved in acts of violence off the field. But Kelly said he believes NFL teams know what kind of person he is.

Kelly pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct two years ago as part of a case in which he was initially accused of punching two people, threatening to shoot up a bar with an AK-47 and resisting arrest. He said this morning on PFT Live that he has told NFL teams that he’s grown up since then, and he thinks those teams believe him.

“I’ve made it clear that I just had my 23rd birthday, if I don’t get it now I’ll never get it. I think they understand my sincere apologies for making those dumb mistakes,” Kelly said.

A bigger problem for Kelly right now may be that he’s rehabbing both knee and wrist injuries, and he hasn’t been able to work out for teams the way he would have liked. So there are some significant questions about him, but he’s hoping he has answered those questions as well as possible, and will hear his name called this week by some team that’s satisfied with the kind of player and person he is.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Chad Kelly says NFL teams know he’s moved past “dumb mistakes””
  1. joetoronto says: Apr 26, 2017 7:43 AM

The Bills will take him with the hopes he can bring them back to their glory days when they lost 4 Super Bowls in a row, like his Uncle did.

2. "All Eyez On Me" in theaters june 16 2017 says: Apr 26, 2017 7:43 AM

Ryan leaf is his father?

3. ruffbufffire says: Apr 26, 2017 8:12 AM

Bills

4. redlikethepig says: Apr 26, 2017 8:20 AM

Saying that is a dumb mistake, and proves that he hasn’t.

5. redmosquito16 says: Apr 26, 2017 8:32 AM

Didn’t he go to that JUCO that’s now commonly known as “Last Chance U”? Given this kid’s pedigree, I highly doubt he would’ve gone to that school had he not already had a troubled past. I’m just saying, it’s not a stretch to think that this wasn’t the kid’s first run-in with the law.

6. donterrelli says: Apr 26, 2017 8:33 AM

“I’ve made it clear that I just had my 23rd birthday, if I don’t get it now I’ll never get it.”

uh huh, suuure.

7. dejadoh says: Apr 26, 2017 8:41 AM

He only threatened to shoot up a bar with an AK and assault people. Little more than a dumb mistake. It’s a crime of stupidity. At 23 he’s still stupid after all these years.

8. marooncat79 says: Apr 26, 2017 8:49 AM

Ugh. If you have to tell people how mature you are, guess what? Youre not!!

9. waynefontesismyfather says: Apr 26, 2017 8:54 AM

Whelp, my money is on him never getting it.

10. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Apr 26, 2017 8:57 AM

He is in an elite group of QBs that beat mighty Bama in his collegiate career. Others include Cam Newton, D. Watson. Someone will give him a chance.

11. whenwilliteverend says: Apr 26, 2017 9:08 AM

Chad Kelly says NFL teams know he’s moved past “dumb mistakes”

Who is he trying to convince–NFL teams or himself? After making his above statements they should administer a drug test. I think this guy is a loser who was given a free pass his entire life because of his famous uncle. Those days are about to end. My guess is within five years he’ll be in prison.

12. jm91rs says: Apr 26, 2017 9:16 AM

I’m a Bengals fan and I hate their propensity for taking character risks on guys….that said, I think there’s a lot of value in him if he’s there in round 5 or later and I’d be fine with the Bengals picking him up as Andy Dalton’s new backup.

13. silvernblacksabbath says: Apr 26, 2017 9:42 AM

At least he doesn’t have an AK-47…..like some players.. lol

14. pushingiron says: Apr 26, 2017 9:57 AM

The kid has the physical tools, just not sure if he has it between the ears.

15. briscocountyjr says: Apr 26, 2017 11:01 AM

Perfect colors and decision making process to be Eli’s heir apparent.

16. laserw says: Apr 26, 2017 12:10 PM

Good project QB to take in the 7th.