Latavius Murray plans on being ready for training camp

Getty Images

Adrian Peterson earned a prominent spot in the headlines on Tuesday by signing with the Saints in a move that sets him up for an early return to Minnesota because the two teams will square off in Week One.

The plan for the Vikings is for Latavius Murray to be in Peterson’s old spot as the team’s starting running back, although the Vikings will have to wait a little while before they have a chance to see exactly how Murray fits into their offense. He had ankle surgery shortly after signing with the team as a free agent and said Tuesday that he’s still going through the rehab process with designs on being ready to go when training camp starts.

“That’s the plan,” Murray said. “That’s my goal, obviously. I don’t want to miss any more time than I have to, but, at the same time, I have to continue to trust the plan [the medical staff] has in place for me. I want to be out there when it’s time to lock and load.”

When that time arrives, Murray says that he knows the Vikings want him on the field as much as possible as an every-down back and said he’s confident that his receiving skills will allow that to happen. It will be a spell before there’s on-field evidence to support those feelings, but little doubt that the Vikings will need Murray to hit the ground running upon his return to action.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Latavius Murray plans on being ready for training camp”
  1. whatjusthapped says: Apr 26, 2017 7:55 AM

And so it begins. Murray’s upright running style has IR written all over him and he will start his Viking career with ankle surgery. Murray isn’t expected to replace Peterson, he can’t inseminate enough women or beat 4 year old children fast enough to do that, but his production behind a horrible offensive line will prove that his Raider days were more because of their offensive line that any inherent talent Murray might have.

2. GenXJ says: Apr 26, 2017 7:55 AM

Huge packer-backer here. I wish we had a running back so I can run my mouth about Murray.

3. redlikethepig says: Apr 26, 2017 8:21 AM

Because all the other players in the NFL don’t plan to be ready.

4. thesilentshoplifter says: Apr 26, 2017 8:46 AM

Ummm dude. It’s the end of April. Your team was eliminated in early January. Why the wait on the surgery?

5. learysdisciples says: Apr 26, 2017 8:51 AM

As opposed to the Eddie Lacy buffet training program. Good for him.

6. saints737 says: Apr 26, 2017 9:02 AM

Good luck running behind that Porous oline there buddy. This isn’t Oakland!

He’ll be lucky to get 3 yards a pop

7. ragnarthemagnificent says: Apr 26, 2017 9:12 AM

I feel like AP hasn’t played for the Vikes in 2 years!

8. ariani1985 says: Apr 26, 2017 9:17 AM

Notice that our inbred little sisters to the east are starting a horrible WR at running back!!! Let that sink in!!! It’s almost as they take pride in being humiliated in the playoffs?????

9. ariani1985 says: Apr 26, 2017 9:19 AM

Big time Packer stock holder chiming in!!!! How come 31 other teams don’t start WR’s at the RB position???? Noticed how well it worked in the NFC Championship game?

10. truthbetold109 says: Apr 26, 2017 9:40 AM

GenXJ says:
    Apr 26, 2017 7:55 AM
    _____________

Ariani is bringing up the Pack again, in a non-Packer related article. Here he is using screen name #15 as GenXJ.

11. stiffarm13 says: Apr 26, 2017 9:46 AM

He’s not an every down back …. His receiving numbers are about the same as AP’s …. He’s had concussions …. And let’s not forget going from the best offensive line in football to the absolute worst …. Good luck with that